HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

What would a Québec roster look like?

Old
02-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Xokkeu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
You're right, I should not have included Jason Pominville because he's declared for the USA.

That's the reason I did not include Paul Stastny.

I guess that makes the squad considerably weaker on the right wing.
It's fair to include him. After all, he may or may not have decided to play for a Quebec team. I just initially thought if you are creating a Quebec team then it would probably be made up solely of Canadian players, but in retrospect I assume that if the IIHF created a new national team that players would be allowed to switch from whereever they wanted like after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
I would say the Czech Rep are more than just a 'spoiler' team. I don't know what they will look like a decade from now but as it currently stands they still have a pretty impressive pool of players, especially forwards, to pick from.

But this thread is probably already stumbling far enough off topic so I digress.
Slovakia came very close to taking Canada into Overtime and possibly beating them in the semifinals. They beat Sweden so it wasn't like they just lucked into the semifinals with a good draw.

Ironically the Czechs only victory of any note was against Slovakia. They lost to Russia and Finland pretty easily and Latvia took them to OT in the first knockout game.

This is the level I think a Team Quebec would be. If the team gelled and played to their max abilities, they would have the potential to win a game or two against the big teams in a knockout format like Slovakia nearly did. But if they didn't, and they just played to their base abilities, they'd be out quickly like the Czechs were.

Old
02-20-2013, 01:45 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
I just initially thought if you are creating a Quebec team then it would probably be made up solely of Canadian players, but in retrospect I assume that if the IIHF created a new national team that players would be allowed to switch from whereever they wanted like after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Players were not allowed to switch from wherever after the fall of the Soviet Union, the freedom of choice was limited to former Soviet citizens.

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 01:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Players were not allowed to switch from wherever after the fall of the Soviet Union, the freedom of choice was limited to former Soviet citizens.
True, so I suppose a hypothetical Quebec team would only be able to field players from Canada as that would be the country that it separated from.

Old
03-31-2013, 04:45 PM
newromanceforkids

Quote:
I don't know if there ever was such a thread on these boards, and I am guessing there was, but not in recent times so I was wondering what Québec's roster would look like if it was to compete in Sochi.

I have my own idea of the roster, what are your thoughts? Also, where would you rank this team on a world ranking?

The forwards are decent, and among the players who don't make my final cut are David Perron, Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Jonathan Huberdeau. The defense is lacking depth, but that is somewhat compensated by solid goaltending.

Tanguay – Lecavalier – St-Louis
Gagné – Ribeiro – Brière
Dupuis – Bergeron – Pominville
Burrows – Desharnais – Parenteau

Vlasic – Letang
Beauchemin – Robidas
Bergeron – Gervais

Luongo
Fleury
Crawford
Huberdeau PBergeron Pomminville
DPerron Lecavalier Burrows
Tanguay Couturier St Louis
Gagne Briere Parenteau
Dupuis DavidDesharnais Ribeiro Drouin

Vlasic Letang
Demers Beauchemin
Robidas despres
Lou
Fleury
Crawford

newromanceforkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
LeHabsMan

Jonathan Huberdeau - Mike Ribeiro - Alexander Burrows
David Perron - Vincent Lecavalier - P.A Parenteau
Alex Tanguay - Patrice Bergeron - Martin St.Louis
Simon Gagne - Maxime Talbot - Pascal Dupuis
-David Desharnais and Daniel Briere

Kristopher Letang - Francois Beauchemin
Stephane Robidas - M.E Vlasic
Jason Demers - M.A Bergeron
-Bruno Gervais and Simon Despres

Roberto Luongo
M.A Fleury
-Corey Crawford

*Jason Pominville plays for the US.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 11:29 PM
agentremax

And Jonathan Drouin

@newromanceforkids: Couturier is not From Québec.. His parents are, but he doesn't consider him a "québécois"

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/17...s/90831/public

agentremax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:01 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

What if we created a French Canadian team? Pomminville could be on it, so could Zach Parise if he wanted to be. Obviously Claude Giroux could be too. Maybe either Hartley, Julien or Martin could coach. Marc Savard, if he ever gets better??

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:20 PM
KirkW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
What if we created a French Canadian team?
Interesting idea. Which other players from outside of Quebec would be eligible? I guess Giroux (franco-ontarian) would be the most obvious answer and high profile player. And also Toews as a franco-manitoban.
And where does Sean Couturier fit in all of this? Yes, he was born in Phoenix and moved all over the world as a kid following his fathers playing career, but I believe the family called Montreal home. So does he qualify for team Quebec? Or only the French Canadian team?

Also, and maybe this is really stretching, but do you guys know of any high profile quebec hockey players who wouldn't also be considered French Canadian. Only one I can think of (and he's of course retired now) is Kevin Lowe. Born and raised in Quebec, but not French Canadian.

KirkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:24 PM
boris4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkW View Post
Also, and maybe this is really stretching, but do you guys know of any high profile quebec hockey players who wouldn't also be considered French Canadian. Only one I can think of (and he's of course retired now) is Kevin Lowe. Born and raised in Quebec, but not French Canadian.
There is probably a bunch of them. On the list below there are quite a few of them with English-sounding names and I would guess some of them aren't considered French Canadian due to their inability to speak French.

The latest census states that 9.9% of Montrealers speak English only.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv...ince=QC&state=

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:29 AM
luki here

Quote:
I'm aware of Pominville's background and I'm also aware that he has lived in the US for the past decade. The OP can feel free to include him on the team as he'd be eligible obviously.

It would be interesting to see how many players would just chose to play for Canada and how many would chose Quebec. Kind of like England and Wales in soccer.
1 welsh footballer who play-s (-ed) for england? i dont know a single one.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:30 AM
luki here

Quote:
There is probably a bunch of them. On the list below there are quite a few of them with English-sounding names and I would guess some of them aren't considered French Canadian due to their inability to speak French.

some of those 10% would consider themselves quebecois (?) though.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by luki here View Post
1 welsh footballer who play-s (-ed) for england? i dont know a single one.
Owen Hargreaves says hi.

Ok, so he's Canadian/Welsh/English, but you get my point

Bullwine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:22 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwine85 View Post
Owen Hargreaves says hi.

Ok, so he's Canadian/Welsh/English, but you get my point
He's from Canada though, not from Wales. Who exactly is from Wales but chose to play for England instead?

jekoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:13 AM
KirkW

Quote:

ability to speak french =/ french Canadian. Or at least that's my take. Guys like Mike Bossy and Kevin Lowe are fluent french speakers, but would you really consider them french Canadian?

KirkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
boris4c

Quote:
ability to speak french =/ french Canadian. Or at least that's my take. Guys like Mike Bossy and Kevin Lowe are fluent french speakers, but would you really consider them french Canadian?
Well that's exactly what I'm wondering.

What is the precise definition of French Canadian? Burrows is also an English name but people widely consider him to be French Canadian, same goes for Toews. Is it because one of their parents is "French"? If someone with an English name is born in Quebec, and learns French from the start, lives in a French community, it's hard to determine.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:43 PM
MTLAzzurri

Quote:
Interesting idea. Which other players from outside of Quebec would be eligible? I guess Giroux (franco-ontarian) would be the most obvious answer and high profile player. And also Toews as a franco-manitoban.
And where does Sean Couturier fit in all of this? Yes, he was born in Phoenix and moved all over the world as a kid following his fathers playing career, but I believe the family called Montreal home. So does he qualify for team Quebec? Or only the French Canadian team?

Luongo, Ribeiro, Marco Scandella, Corey Crawford, Matt Lombardi, Jose Theodore. I'm sure there are more I don't know. I know Marc-Edouard Vlasic's grandfather is from Croatia (he was actually a prof of my dad in law school), not sure if the rest of his family is French-Canadian though.

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:49 PM
MTLAzzurri

Quote:
Well that's exactly what I'm wondering.

What is the precise definition of French Canadian? Burrows is also an English name but people widely consider him to be French Canadian, same goes for Toews. Is it because one of their parents is "French"? If someone with an English name is born in Quebec, and learns French from the start, lives in a French community, it's hard to determine.
His father is from England, his mom is Quebecois I believe. I know it gets complicated when dealing with people who have grown up in french speaking communities. I think mostly if people identify themselves as French-Canadian, they are fore the most part.

MTLAzzurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:22 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Huberdeau– Lecavalier – St-Louis
Gagné – Ribeiro – Brière
Dupuis – Bergeron – Pominville
Burrows – Desharnais – Parenteau
Vermette Brassard Tanguay
Perron

Vlasic – Letang
Beauchemin – Robidas
Després - Demers
Scandella - Savard

Luongo
Fleury
Crawford

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Bohemian93

Quote:

That's a useless stat when it come to determining the English community in Quebec, Many Anglophones here can speak french and that doesn't mean they are francophone or identify themselves as such.As an Anglo-Quebecer, I can tell you that the proportion of those who would consider themselves Anglophones or use English primarily is probably about 20% of Montreal.

Quebecers like Mike Bossy, Gump Worsley, Scott Mellanby, Roberto luongo, Mike Ribeiro are not French-Canadians.

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Not really. All four of them tried out for Canada, and only two were successful. All four of them then played for USA. If Hull and Pominville had been better players as teenagers they would not be Americans anymore? Ridiculous.

In any event, this is veering far enough from the actual topic so I will cease. To me Pominville is just as legitimate to add to this roster as anyone raised in Quebec.
Brett Hull isn't even relevant; he learned the basics of hockey in Chicago while his dad was a Blackhawk. He didn't leave town until around 8 or 10, and had played since 3 or 4. Can't say he was trained to an elite level, but it's the difference between a Ford made in Michigan and a Honda made in Ohio. One of them is considered an American car, one of them isn't. Why? Because one of them was designed in America by American engineers, while the other was designed in Japan by Japanese engineers.

Quote:
In other news, Barrett Jackman is Russian...

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Jamin

So everyone is including Luongo but didnt he...ya know play for Team Canada and win gold? Are we all just assuming the guy that has lived in forida and Vancouver for over a decade would have blinding loyalty to the new seperatist province and would just switch sides?

Jamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:30 PM
xerox
Hockey pimp

people simply shouldn't move around so much.

xerox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
boris4c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin View Post
So everyone is including Luongo but didnt he...ya know play for Team Canada and win gold? Are we all just assuming the guy that has lived in forida and Vancouver for over a decade would have blinding loyalty to the new seperatist province and would just switch sides?
This thread doesn't have anything to do with a separatist state. We're just having fun creating a roster with the best Quebec players at the moment, without thinking whether or not they would accept an invitation or not. The same can be done with Ontario and the other provinces.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Jason Pominville plays for the United States. I know he was born in Quebec, but since you didn't include Stastny, I'm not completely sure why Pominville is included.

Either way, I'd put that Quebec roster just a touch below what I'd consider the favorites for Gold in Sochi, basically the US, Sweden, Canada and Russia. I'd group it with Finland, Slovakia and the Czechs. The talent to beat any team on a given night but not quite enough to be considered a heavy favorite.
I agree with this.

Maybe Drouin would be on this team.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote