HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Old
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM

vCash: 50
Actually quite happy with this. What's $1.5m if it keeps Bryz fresh?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
BroadStreetPhila

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Actually quite happy with this. What's $1.5m if it keeps Bryz fresh?
As long as he's fresh off the ice.

BroadStreetPhila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:11 PM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Why?
Because it's a ridiculous statement to say this defense even while injured is a bad AHL defense. Having Timonen on one leg and Schenn playing 23 and 25 minutes a night in the AHL would be the equivalent of having Weber and Suter in the NHL. Gus is a legit young bottom pairing defenseman. Say what you want about Gervais and Huskins but they've played over 700 NHL games between them and they aren't old guys. Lauridsen is an AHL defenseman not a bad one.

To say this would be a bad AHL defense would be saying that some of the guys playing are maybe not even AHL caliber players and the best defenseman would only be average AHLers. Thats clearly just not true about Kimmo and Schenn. Gus, Gervais, and Huskins would all be at the very least above average AHL players.

So, yes, I quite easily disagree with that statement.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:48 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
anybody who expects any goalie to jump in net & magically fix the frequent lack of hustle, turnovers, poor breakouts & numerous times they leave guys wide open, is sadly mistaken
Here's the thing, though. Tocchet was on TSN Radio last week and said the team wasn't going all out for Bryz because he needs to be a better teammate. If he is the problem then he has to grow up and do right by his team. Not to say that they are right for not hustling but there is obviously a bigger problem behind the scenes.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:28 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Here's the thing, though. Tocchet was on TSN Radio last week and said the team wasn't going all out for Bryz because he needs to be a better teammate. If he is the problem then he has to grow up and do right by his team. Not to say that they are right for not hustling but there is obviously a bigger problem behind the scenes.
I had heard this but what did he say exactly and in what context was it said?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:42 PM
flyingsouth

Quote:
This wouldn't surprise me at all... and if it's true, I don't think we wait another year to get rid of him.

flyingsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:24 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
correct. the Flyers scored 0 goals in the 3rd.

made no difference who was in net for us.

goaltending didn't cost is that game, even though goal #4 was awful.
I honestly don't know if I can take you seriously anymore after reading this post. His body language was brutal the whole 2nd period on all 4 goals. Would of been interesting to see how he would of reacted if the Jets decided to wake up in the 1st instead of the 2nd.
Sorry the Flyers couldn't bail him out with another 5 goal game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
1.5M for a starting goalie = awesome.
Steve Mason as a starting goalie = LOL.
The Flyers are paying 4+ million more for LOL goaltending right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:38 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

When do our two amnesties expire?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Krishna

Next summer

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Next summer
Is there like a specific window for the buyouts. Like July 1-July 10 or something this summer and next summer? Or is it like they can buy someone out at any time during the offseason this year or next?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:35 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Cechmanek had the same issues, yet some how the same situation was lauded and Cechmanek eventually traded.

I think Tocchet is wrong though, I think they try, they just aren't very good. I have a hard time believing some of these guys are loafing it when half of them are all fighting for NHL jobs next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I don't think that's true. Chris Mason is making $1.5m in Nashville this year, and he's most definitely a backup. So is Johan Hedberg and he's making $1.4m. Biron is making $1.3m, Vokun is making $2m... they're all backups.
They're all overpaid too. Except Biron, he's actually still a decent goaltender.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:01 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
you continue to have no idea what backbreaking goals are..

Flyers lead.. Bryz starts being leaky (yet again), soon its 3-1..

text book definition of back breaking.. then that horrid 4th goal.. team basicly says **** it.. cant say i blame them..

it has to be frustrating to see Bryz blow leads time and time again... ALWAYS having to outscore your goalie is NOT what Bryz was brought in for or certainly paid to be..
Are you seriously chalking up the first 3 goals against Winnipeg as Bryzgalov being "leaky"? Come on. I've been as frustrated with most here with his inconsistent play this season, and he could have shown more battle, but the first goal was a near uncontested shot from the slot between the circles, and the other two were scrambles on the crease line where the defense was defenseless. And on the third goal, Bryzgalov got the same unfortunate treatment as Reimer got at Rosehill's hands: butt end of his stick got caught in a player which turned him and took the stick out of his hands.

Yes, I'd have loved to see Bryzgalov give more effort on those 2nd and 3rd goals – and have actually moved on the 4th one – but I firmly believe either of the 2nd/3rd would only have been saved with a superhuman move and/or great luck.

Let's try to keep some degree of objectivity.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:46 AM
StoneHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They're all overpaid too. Except Biron, he's actually still a decent goaltender.
If they are all similar goalies making a similar salary, wouldn't that indicate that it's just the going rate for a veteran backup goalie who was at one point a starter?

For a while people used to laugh and say teams were overpaying when they saw a UFA #4 defenseman getting $3.5m-$4m. Then it became obvious that, though it seems to be a high price to pay, that's just the cost of a FA second pairing defenseman.

StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Here's the thing, though. Tocchet was on TSN Radio last week and said the team wasn't going all out for Bryz because he needs to be a better teammate.
then they should be sent to the minors.

i don't believe him. pro NHLers are gonna risk their jobs, by intentionally under-performing because they don't like someone ?

no, i don't buy it.

these skaters were awful team mates when this season started, by playing horrible team D. Bryz was the best Flyer & kept his mouth shut. By all accounts, he was working hard, in great shape, didn't want the spotlight .....

no, that's just another cheap excuse ....... did it look like they were trying harder when Mason was in net ???

no.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:42 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Are you seriously chalking up the first 3 goals against Winnipeg as Bryzgalov being "leaky"? Come on.
you know some people around here .. it's a much sexier story to invent that our goalie was "leaky"

and, the goalie is the convenient scapegoat around here.

23rd year in a row.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
then they should be sent to the minors.

i don't believe him. pro NHLers are gonna risk their jobs, by intentionally under-performing because they don't like someone ?

no, i don't buy it.

these skaters were awful team mates when this season started, by playing horrible team D. Bryz was the best Flyer & kept his mouth shut. By all accounts, he was working hard, in great shape, didn't want the spotlight .....

no, that's just another cheap excuse ....... did it look like they were trying harder when Mason was in net ???

no.
I will have to agree with you here, I don't believe that professionals will dog it just because they have an issue with a guy. Pride comes into play there, who the hell wants to lose? You don't get to the highest level of the game by allowing that to happen.

04-09-2013, 09:55 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Cechmanek had the same issues, yet some how the same situation was lauded and Cechmanek eventually traded.

I think Tocchet is wrong though, I think they try, they just aren't very good. I have a hard time believing some of these guys are loafing it when half of them are all fighting for NHL jobs next year.

what? How are these veterans with excellent track records overpaid? How old are you dude? Any adult would understand their contracts. That's what happens when you get older, you get respect and get good contracts because of their experience.

Stop being a know-it-all.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I do beleive Bryz has the talent to be well worth what he's paid. We saw that in January and for a stretch last season. I feel his issues are exactly what CBJ fans say Masons issue is. Mental ability. Being a starting franchise goalie takes more than skill it takes mental toughness and the ability to shake adversity. I don't know masons game well enough to say one way or the other he's there or not. Bryz however seems to be a guy who, when he's feeling good he pitches 5 straight 65 save shutouts and makes Patrick Roy look like a chump. But the instant that streak ends, whether it be a fluke bounce, defensive breakdown, a seeing eye goal no one would stop, or a mistake on his part he collapses. He's as low as he was high. He doesn't move, he ducks away from pucks, he cries to the media, etc. ups and downs are basic human emotions but man is he extreme with it. If Bryz was more balanced in the head he'd be fine. The tools are there. It's disappointing and frustrating as a fan to watch players like this because we all know they are good. Cechmanek was a perfect example. Esche too. It seems a Bryz funk has him calling everyone out and not giving 100%. He's playing to play right now. The second he lets in a goal he quits. That's my problem at least.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
SuchySays

This team is a ****ing joke if they played with lesser effort just because of bryz..

seriously.. **** them all if it's true.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
This team is a ****ing joke if they played with lesser effort just because of bryz..

seriously.. **** them all if it's true.
That's a nonsense rumor.

Even if they didn't like him, they wouldn't make it a point to play worse in front of him because of it; not consciously anyway, and the unconscious implications of that are not something I'm going to get into.

Point is, we can't keep winning games by scoring four goals while he lets in three in an 18 shots against game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Point is, we can't keep winning games by scoring four goals while he lets in three in an 18 shots against game.
No you don't understand..when the team makes mistakes Bryz shouldn't be "expected" to negate any of them!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Their lack of confidence in him does affect the number of times they're on the PK; I doubt the defensemen are as eager to haul down, hook, and slash anyone who touches the puck near the net if they believe Bryz can stop the shot.

04-09-2013, 12:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

I agree. I think its more of a confidence/trust issue with the skaters in front of Bryzgalov. That in itself may give the perception that the team isn't "trying"

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:15 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I agree. I think its more of a confidence/trust issue with the skaters in front of Bryzgalov. That in itself may give the perception that the team isn't "trying"
Based on your and Beef's logic, wouldn't it be the exact opposite? The players having no confidence in Bryzgalov stopping even routine shots would be going even faster to block everything. Everyone would be engaged in defense. Players expecting a save to be made would look nonchalant because they are preparing to switch from defense to offense.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:17 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Their lack of confidence in him does affect the number of times they're on the PK; I doubt the defensemen are as eager to haul down, hook, and slash anyone who touches the puck near the net if they believe Bryz can stop the shot.
I feel like this is a self fulfilling prophecy. The defensemen lack confidence in Bryz, thus we're on the PK. As has been said many a times "sometimes your goalie has to be your best PK'er", thus Bryz lets in another easy PP goal. This in turn makes the Defensemen LESS confident in him, thus taking more penalties......................................... ...........

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote