HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should the 2nd buyout be?

View Poll Results: Who would be your 2nd buyout?
Gilbert - $4 million 11 23.91%
Brodziak - $2.833 million 8 17.39%
Stoner - $1.05 million 3 6.52%
Setoguchi - $3 million 1 2.17%
Other? 23 50.00%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-09-2013, 04:50 AM
Ladde

vCash: 500
There is absolutely 0 reason to buyout Gilbert. His contract will end after next season. And unlike Heatley he doesn´t have a cap hit of 7,5mil.

Ladde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:09 AM
centcougar07

I don't think anybody on that list will get bought out. Maybe Brodziak but then who replaces him as 3rd line C?

centcougar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:52 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by centcougar07 View Post
I don't think anybody on that list will get bought out. Maybe Brodziak but then who replaces him as 3rd line C?
Cullen?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Harding

out of the list, Brodz.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:21 AM
Tough jerky

Why would any of those guys need to be bought out? Couldn't they get them traded if management wanted to get rid of them. Just because we can buy them out doesn't mean we have to.

Tough jerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough jerky View Post
Why would any of those guys need to be bought out? Couldn't they get them traded if management wanted to get rid of them. Just because we can buy them out doesn't mean we have to.
If we could find a trading partner, of course. I'm just not sure there is a market for a broken down sniper with a $7.5 million cal hit. Plus, he has a NTC, I believe.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Uberdachen

How does the buyout work, exactly? I know it means the player's gone from their team, but does the team pay them through the end of the contract and it just doesn't affect the cap, or does it terminate the contract and leave the player a free agent? Can another team pick them up at whatever price they agree upon or can they only pick them up for whatever was left on the contract?

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberdachen View Post
How does the buyout work, exactly? I know it means the player's gone from their team, but does the team pay them through the end of the contract and it just doesn't affect the cap, or does it terminate the contract and leave the player a free agent? Can another team pick them up at whatever price they agree upon or can they only pick them up for whatever was left on the contract?
I believe this is the way it works:

Quote:
Under the rules detailed in Article 50 of the CBA:

-Players could be bought out for two-thirds of their remaining salary

-Money owed to the player had to be paid out over the remaining length of the terminated contract — unlike Ordinary-Course Buyouts (which teams can exercise each offseason) where owed money is paid out over twice the length of the contract

-Teams could not pay owed money in a lump sum

-Players could not re-sign with the original team until after the 2005-06 season

-Compliance buyouts did not count against the team’s salary cap, nor did they count against the total player compensation for that year

Barring major changes (we’ve learned anything can happen in these negotiations), the rules for compliance buyouts should be similar to 2005. According to recent reports, the NHL is insisting that the buyouts count against total player compensation, but this will only have an impact on escrow, not on individual team salary cap numbers.

http://thehockeywriters.com/compliance-buyouts-nhl/

Old
04-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Uberdachen

Thanks!

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:39 AM
nickschultzfan

Heatley and Harding, assuming you can buyout Harding. No brainer IMO. Harding is a great guy and goalie, but the truth is the Wild need 2 sure-thing goalies next season.

Don't see much use for buying out Gilbert and Brodziak. They are both having down-years. Happens to most players. Gilbert hasn't gotten set yet. Think the lock-out, no camp, constantly changing partners, and injuries has knocked him off his game. Brdoziak just sucks with Clutterbuck. Always has. Always will. Oil and Water.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Heatley and Harding, assuming you can buyout Harding. No brainer IMO. Harding is a great guy and goalie, but the truth is the Wild need 2 sure-thing goalies next season.

Don't see much use for buying out Gilbert and Brodziak. They are both having down-years. Happens to most players. Gilbert hasn't gotten set yet. Think the lock-out, no camp, constantly changing partners, and injuries has knocked him off his game. Brdoziak just sucks with Clutterbuck. Always has. Always will. Oil and Water.
What has soured me on Brodziak is what, I perceive to be, is a lack of effort. Unless there is some injury that we aren't aware of, I just don't see the effort. He reaches for breakout passes, rather than skating to puck. I just see alot of coasting and other things that lead me to question whether or not he is giving 100% on the ice.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:41 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Heatley is a given, imo, unless we get lucky and trade him.

I'm going to reserve judgement on anyone else until I see how they play next year.

Gilbert I feel is just off his game, for whatever reason, same with Brodziak.

Brodziak at least has shown a few signs lately of being better. I think this shortened season really screwed with a couple of our guys, and maybe they didn't stay in the appropriate shape to play, thinking there would be no season.

Besides, both Gilbert and Brodziak could be traded if it really came down to needing to get rid of them.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Check the rules. A compliance buyout has to be over a certain dollar amount and I don't think Harding even qualifies for that floor.

Also, Harding won't go on LTIR until the Wild actually NEED the cap space. LTIR rules didn't change in the new CBA.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:12 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Check the rules. A compliance buyout has to be over a certain dollar amount and I don't think Harding even qualifies for that floor.

Also, Harding won't go on LTIR until the Wild actually NEED the cap space. LTIR rules didn't change in the new CBA.
Pretty sure that was only for the buyouts during this season before the offseason (Redden/gomez).

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:24 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and2013/14 season,in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two(2) additional Players(in the aggregate overthetwo (2) years)on a Compliance basis (a“Compliance Buy-Out”).Such Compliance Buy-Out(s)would be effectuated on the same terms asare set forth in Paragraph 13 ofthe SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)”willnot be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the Player.Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s)will, however, be counted against thePlayers’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made.A Player thathas been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited fromre-joiningthe Club that bought him out(via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise)for the durationof the 2013/14 League Year(if the Player was bought out in 2013) andthe2014/15League Year(ifthe Player was bought out in 2014)
Not fixing the spacing issues, sorry.

Until I get my grubblies on the full, revised version... This will have to do.

No mention of a floor.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Harding. Need a reliable starter and he's not that guy.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
MassenGill
Rookie User

Brodziak - no trade value since nobody will want to take on his contract.

I am new around here. How come I can't vote?

MassenGill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another thing to keep in mind, you have to think about how you could replace or upgrade from someone if you buy them out.

Heatley - easily replaceable, he's played out of the top six role and can't play a checking role, we have lots of internal replacements.

Gilbert - not very replaceable, unless Dumba is ready to go right away next year, which I doubt...just look at the list of UFA defensemen. Also, we already need one top four defenseman, if we buy him out, we need two. I would let him play that last year and see what he does.

Brodziak - again, not very replaceable. Before the Larsson trade, maybe he could be expendable, but not now. We're going to probably need a #2 center next year, we don't want to go looking for a #3 center. He hasn't been great this year, but he was very good last year, I'd let him try and bounce back. And again, look at the list of UFA forwards, not a lot out there.

Harding - if you re-sign Backstrom, he is replaced right there, and at a modest upcharge (at this point).

Old
04-09-2013, 01:38 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Another thing to keep in mind, you have to think about how you could replace or upgrade from someone if you buy them out.

Heatley - easily replaceable, he's played out of the top six role and can't play a checking role, we have lots of internal replacements.

Gilbert - not very replaceable, unless Dumba is ready to go right away next year, which I doubt...just look at the list of UFA defensemen. Also, we already need one top four defenseman, if we buy him out, we need two. I would let him play that last year and see what he does.

Brodziak - again, not very replaceable. Before the Larsson trade, maybe he could be expendable, but not now. We're going to probably need a #2 center next year, we don't want to go looking for a #3 center. He hasn't been great this year, but he was very good last year, I'd let him try and bounce back. And again, look at the list of UFA forwards, not a lot out there.

Harding - if you re-sign Backstrom, he is replaced right there, and at a modest upcharge (at this point).
Thank you, i thought i was going crazy reading all these buyout brodziak posts. I'm not comfortable penciling in FBJ as our 2C and there's no guarantee Cullen will re-sign. Brodz looked better last game with coyle, lets see how he does the rest of the way and in the playoffs (provided we make it), the cap and roster space we gain from cutting him isn't a big boost.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We could re-sign Cullen and roll with Cullen and Granlund as our 2C and 3C. Which one plays where is determined by their play.

Zucker - Cullen/Granlund - Setoguchi
Clutterbuck(?) - Granlund/Cullen - Coyle

That leaves us with Haula and Graovac as our center prospects under contract. In 2014-2015 or 2015-2016 after Cullen is gone, one of them are hopefully able to step into the 3C spot. And it will be around that time that Gilmour is in his junior year at BC and might be ready to sign his pro contract.

...and now I will put away my crystal ball.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not comfortable at all with Granlund at center yet given what I've seen from him.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

The only reason i would really like to see Brodz gone is actually because of Yeo and his for him.

Blizzard6411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassenGill View Post
Brodziak - no trade value since nobody will want to take on his contract.

Brodziak is completely tradeable. His contract isn't that bad. Most teams would look at his career, not 15-20 sub-par games over an odd-ball season. Hawks would have gladly taken him for their 3rd line center.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

If the Wild buy-out Heatley, in addition to having to pay out bonuses to Parise and Suter; that right there is a lot coming straight out of the owner's pockets. Don't see the team buying out anyone else. Especially on this roster as there's no one player who the team absolutely could not move, nor can they afford to really lose without going out and spending all that money (and maybe more assets) on the position anyway.

All in all, just see it as a step backwards.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassenGill View Post
I believe you have to have been here for a certain amount of time or gotten a certain number of posts. Check the rules, it's in there.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote