HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Revisiting Landeskog's captaincy

Old
04-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Nzap
#Pogback

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I don't understand the argument for Duchene to have the C. He's playing well now that he doesn't have so much pressure on him to carry the franchise. If anything, this season just reinforces to me that he shouldn't be in the limelight of having the C. It's better for him and the franchise.
I think most of us think he's worth and should have an A. Not the C.

Nzap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

vCash: 500
I can't help but think a lot of the Lando questioning just comes from ROR and Duchene fans who think their guy should have gotten it over a rookie. I'm just glad they didn't do the stupid 3 "A" thing they tried before giving it to Hejduk.

Anyway...it would not surprise me at all (assuming we don't do something crazy like trading Stastny) to see McLeod get the A over Duchene again. And that's not a bad choice. You don't need an extra letter on your jersey to be a leader on the team.

Or we could see Stastny be the full time "A" sort of how Forsberg had it all the time. And see the 2nd "A" rotate between Duchene, McLeod and Johnson (maybe ROR, depends on if management/coaching is still angry) sort of how it rotated between Foote and Bourque.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
He had the biggest hit of the game last night, but for some reason Altitude didn't choose to show a replay. He's still hitting.
G]
Kronwall's hit was much better.

Quote:
I don't understand the argument for Duchene to have the C. He's playing well now that he doesn't have so much pressure on him to carry the franchise. If anything, this season just reinforces to me that he shouldn't be in the limelight of having the C. It's better for him and the franchise.
I disagree, he got embarrassed last year abd has found a new level of maturity. That's captain like, right now none of the youngins should be captain but alas another mistake by the avs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
I can't help but think a lot of the Lando questioning just comes from ROR and Duchene fans who think their guy should have gotten it over a rookie. I'm just glad they didn't do the stupid 3 "A" thing they tried before giving it to Hejduk.

Anyway...it would not surprise me at all (assuming we don't do something crazy like trading Stastny) to see McLeod get the A over Duchene again. And that's not a bad choice. You don't need an extra letter on your jersey to be a leader on the team.

Or we could see Stastny be the full time "A" sort of how Forsberg had it all the time. And see the 2nd "A" rotate between Duchene, McLeod and Johnson (maybe ROR, depends on if management/coaching is still angry) sort of how it rotated between Foote and Bourque.
I doubt thats the reason.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 03:08 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
I disagree, he got embarrassed last year abd has found a new level of maturity. That's captain like, right now none of the youngins should be captain but alas another mistake by the avs.
Because it's such a massive deal that it's affecting the team left and right. It's a letter on the jersey. That's it.

avs1dacup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Sports Fan View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if that's why this is being questioned. No matter what this team does, they can't win with the fans. Every single move/decision will be questioned. Landeskog will be fine as our captain and he's going to be the captain for a very long time.

Quote:

Nothing crazy about that.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicianHishon View Post
I doubt thats the reason.
It may not be THE reason. But it's certainly a factor (pun not intended).

Old
04-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Everyone makes such a big deal about the C in these forums. Just curious, what do you guys think the win differential is between ROR, Landy, Duchene and Stastny having the C?

For me, it's a difference of 1-3 games max in a season.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Foppa2118

Jeez, poor Landy sounds like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. Good on Sakic and his teammates to come in and take some of that pressure off.

Quote:
"But it's easier to take (losing) personally than if I didn't have the C," he said, referring to the captain's insignia. "Again, I don't want to blame anything on the C. I've enjoyed having it, and I have learned a lot. If anything, I have realized you can get too snowed in on the captaincy, instead of being yourself. It's hard when the team isn't doing well. It's been hard to know what to do, and when to do it. I knew from Day One I wasn't going to be a perfect captain, but I believe I can still be a good one."
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...e-organization

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan

If we could re-do it I think we shouldn't have had a 'C' yet and rather have Landeskog, Hejduk, and Stastny wear the A's at home and O'Reilly, Duchene, and EJ wear them on the road.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Everyone makes such a big deal about the C in these forums. Just curious, what do you guys think the win differential is between ROR, Landy, Duchene and Stastny having the C?

For me, it's a difference of 1-3 games max in a season.
It's a thing, because every time we have given C to someone they have started to play worse.

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
It's a thing, because every time we have given C to someone they have started to play worse.
That's only because Foote and Hejduk had one foot in retirement when given the C.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:24 AM
thunderhawk905*

Quote:
Is another first year captain, Giroux, doing better?
I hope you're not serious.

Giroux has 37 points in 38 games this year. You must have been joking.

thunderhawk905* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:40 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhawk905 View Post

He is a playmaking center who has played over 300 games in the NHL. His point was that he also took a step back from last season.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhawk905 View Post

I hope you are aware that your incensed reply is to a post made almost three weeks ago, when Flyers were 27th in the league.

They still kinda suck, but not as bad as they did back then.

Giroux was pale for the first month/month and a half, when they ended up in the hole they're still trying to get out of.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Sheet

vCash: 140
Someone should tell dater goalies can't be captains.. it's embarrassing that he's our beat writer.

Sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheet View Post
Someone should tell dater goalies can't be captains.. it's embarrassing that he's our beat writer.
theres nothing that says goalies cant being captains, they just can't wear the C on their jerseys...though it doesn't usually work out very well re: luongo

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFanRCN View Post
theres nothing that says goalies cant being captains, they just can't wear the C on their jerseys...though it doesn't usually work out very well re: luongo
They changed the rule

"No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain."

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:22 PM
AvsFanRCN

vCash: 120
Quote:
They changed the rule

"No playing Coach or playing Manager or goalkeeper shall be permitted to act as Captain or Alternate Captain."
I stand corrected

AvsFanRCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:33 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...-sunday/14095/

Quote:
- Should Gabe Landeskog still be the team captain, or should it be Matt Duchene now? Let the debate begin. I don’t think this should be taken as any sign of disrespect to Landy. But look at how much Duchene has progressed in the last year, on several levels. The work he put in to getting in better and different condition. The willingness to take constructive criticism and change his game for the better (i.e., not as much east-west, fancy hockey and more north-south, simple hockey). The genuine passion he has for the organization, the team, the logo, this city and state. I mean, look at that picture when he signed his last contract.

So, Duchene as captain seems to make sense on those levels. Plus, add in the fact that he has four years of NHL experience and Landeskog only two, and you have an arguably compelling argument that Duchene is the team’s real leader now, and deserves the C. I haven’t heard of anything afoot on that front. But we’ll see what happens. Maybe Roy will come to that belief and suggest a change at some point. Or, maybe Landeskog will mature just as much as Duchene has and evolve his game too and be the best captain in the NHL? We’ll see.
Dater is pushing for Duchene to be named captain.

I dont know, I think this thing is quite ridiculous. 48 games ago people were saying stuff like "Duchene is the last player I would want as our captain". And he was never considered a leader and everyone agreed Landy was our future captain, maybe along with ROR.

Just because Landy has a sophmore slump and Duchene had a bounceback year doesn't make me think he is a more suited captain.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:54 PM
FrostyBear21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

I dont know, I think this thing is quite ridiculous. 48 games ago people were saying stuff like "Duchene is the last player I would want as our captain". And he was never considered a leader and everyone agreed Landy was our future captain, maybe along with ROR.

Just because Landy has a sophmore slump and Duchene had a bounceback year doesn't make me think he is a more suited captain.
(Let me preface this by saying this is all my observations and opinion. I don't know the guys personally.)

I don't think Duchene should be captain. Is he a leader? Sure. But he's not the type of guy you'd instinctively want to follow into the fire. Landeskog is. If anything, give Dutchy an A. Not the C. Landy's got better intangibles than Dutchy. Landy's much more mature than Dutchy was at 20. Kids grow. They mature.

Landy did a damn fine job IMO. It's not his fault his coach was a colossal ****ing idiot, or that he had a concussion that threw off his game. Giving him the C only to take it away, that could mess with his head a bit. Make him wonder what he did wrong. Not that he'd hint at that to the media, mind you.

I see Landy as the captain for the next decade plus. He's up there with Captain Intangibles up in Chicago. I can't say the same about Dutchy. Not that Dutchy isn't a leader. I just don't see him as captain material. Not to the level Landy is. Landy can will a game to be won by the team. Dutchy would try too hard to win IMO.

FrostyBear21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 06:54 PM
Averick*

Quote:

Yeah, he's being sneaky with his comment about Landeskog maturing. The bulk of his justification for Duchene is based on his improvement as a player. He really offers nothing to support the idea that but tries to sell the idea of it should be Duchene by putting this unsupportable (otherwise where was it) notion that Landsekog isn't mature enough. Sure, Duchene has experience on Landeskog, but that doesn't mean he's more mature than Landeskog. This is kind of irresponsible and sloppy by Dater.

Maybe Duchene doesn't even want it.

Averick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:03 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Random thoughts from a fool.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2013, 07:37 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 141
I can't believe he started that post with that garbage about his dream. If he wants to be negative about the team, fine but do some actual analysis behind it. But I digress...

It's not a good idea to take away the C from Landy. I don't care who deserves it and I'm sure Duchene deserves it. But they have to properly manage this team going forward with several star players and management constantly one upping each other is not the answer.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

Dater has always been a big Duchene guy. It makes so much sense for him to post this garbage.

Old
07-22-2013, 03:15 AM
Nalens Oga
Hth

vCash: 1963
Duchene's my favourite player but Dater is the most detrimental trouble stirring beat writer in the league.

Nalens Oga is offline   Reply With Quote