HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

2013 Draft: Stop winnin for MacKinnon, or Do Meth for Seth?

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

vCash: 500

Can some edit that with JR, and

Se (Selenium) th instead?

Old
04-08-2013, 07:21 PM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Flip your lid for Popeye's kid.

--hank

Old
04-08-2013, 07:35 PM
nuxhead

It's actually bone for jones.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Hornswaggle

Colorado playing Calgary tonight so one of them is going to gain on us in points.

Looking at the bottom 5 and their recent records in the league:
Carolina: 1-9-0
Tampa Bay: 4-5-1
Florida: 6-4-0
Calgary: 2-8-0
Colorado: 2-7-1

I think its a pretty safe bet at this point that both Florida and Tampa pass us in standings. So unless something crazy happens I think the Canes are almost a lock for either Mackinnon or Drouin or maybe Jones if we win the lottery

Old
04-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I echo the sentiments from earlier, by a poster I can't remember or be bothered to look up to find, that says the folks expecting us to pick Top 5 are likely new fans. If there is one thing this team can do, it's come together when the games no longer matter and deliver moral victory after moral victory until their jobs are secure for the next season. Just enough hope to keep the plug from being pulled on a full rebuild and just enough to keep guys like Chad Larose getting contracts with 20 points in the final 15 games. I have zero doubt in my mind that this team will get Cam Ward and Alex Semin back and go on a 5 game winning streak, barely miss the playoffs, and pick 10th or 11th. It's just in our DNA.

I am getting my hopes up for the guys in the 7th to 10th range. Just like I do every season.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
MD
#woofwoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I echo the sentiments from earlier, by a poster I can't remember or be bothered to look up to find, that says the folks expecting us to pick Top 5 are likely new fans. If there is one thing this team can do, it's come together when the games no longer matter and deliver moral victory after moral victory until their jobs are secure for the next season. Just enough hope to keep the plug from being pulled on a full rebuild and just enough to keep guys like Chad Larose getting contracts with 20 points in the final 15 games. I have zero doubt in my mind that this team will get Cam Ward and Alex Semin back and go on a 5 game winning streak, barely miss the playoffs, and pick 10th or 11th. It's just in our DNA.

I am getting my hopes up for the guys in the 7th to 10th range. Just like I do every season.
Normally i would agree with you, but if you look at our remaining schedule, i dont see many wins happening. Most of the teams we play are either top tier teams, teams fighting to get into the playoffs, or teams we quite frankly always do poorly against.

Pittsburgh x2 (1 away)
Washington
Boston
NYR
NYI
PHI
OTT (away)
WPG (away)
Tampa (away)

I'm not saying we're guaranteed a top 5 pick, but if there was ever a year for it to happen, this is it.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD View Post
Normally i would agree with you, but if you look at our remaining schedule, i dont see many wins happening. Most of the teams we play are either top tier teams, teams fighting to get into the playoffs, or teams we quite frankly always do poorly against.

Pittsburgh x2 (1 away)
Washington
Boston
NYR
NYI
PHI
OTT (away)
WPG (away)
Tampa (away)

I'm not saying we're guaranteed a top 5 pick, but if there was ever a year for it to happen, this is it.
Pitt = 2 Loss
Wash = 50/50
Boston = eh
NYR = Loss
NYI = Win, Trollololol
PHI = Loss
Ott = Trollolol Win
WPG = Loss
Tampa = Loss

2-7-1

Thats my guess.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:22 PM
FlyingSquirrels

I have to agree with Vagrant here. We do it every time. This year will be no different.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Fumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSquirrels View Post
I have to agree with Vagrant here. We do it every time. This year will be no different.
I think the injuries to Semin/Ward/Pitkanen will play a factor in the Canes NOT having their typical late season winning streak.
2-7-1 seems like a likely way to end out the season.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:10 AM
totalkev

Chuck said on the radio tonight that there are no plans for Cam to even attempt to play again this season and his rehab is geared 100% on being ready for next season.

I think the Ellis/Peters combo locks us into the Top 5.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Chuck said on the radio tonight that there are no plans for Cam to even attempt to play again this season and his rehab is geared 100% on being ready for next season.

I think the Ellis/Peters combo locks us into the Top 5.
If that is really true, I can't imagine how sour of a taste that Cam has about this season. From effectively being benched for poor play, repeated soft goals, and to have it all end via injury and watch your team fall apart with the full knowledge that you could have probably made a difference ..... that just has to hurt. I hope he channels that energy properly and comes back strong.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:16 AM
Smurf Karlsson
We are the champions

Quote:
If that is really true, I can't imagine how sour of a taste that Cam has about this season. From effectively being benched for poor play, repeated soft goals, and to have it all end via injury and watch your team fall apart with the full knowledge that you could have probably made a difference ..... that just has to hurt. I hope he channels that energy properly and comes back strong.
He'll make it known through his next contract that he's single handedly, the best player on this team.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
bleedgreen

I think realistically we can look at the 5-10 range. A good make up for last years trade, as it seems obvious this years talent at that range is better than last years.
Peters/Ellis for the fail.

Last edited by bleedgreen: 04-09-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 09:06 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
I think realistically we can look at the 5-10 range. A good make up for last years trade, as its seem obvious this years talent at that range is better than last years.
Peters/Ellis for the fail.
This. The top 5, plus Lindholm and Nichushkin up front after them, and Zadorov, Nurse on D, with Ristolainen and Pulock not far behind. There's about 10-11 quality prospects in this draft with top line/first pair talent. And there's more beyond that with similar talent that just simply aren't as likely to hit their upside.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
wallym

vCash: 615
Quote:

This defense is a different story than past years. The possibility of pulling together and grinding out a win with Corvo/McCain/sangs/mab does not exist. When's the last time they gave up 2 or less goals?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
This. The top 5, plus Lindholm and Nichushkin up front after them, and Zadorov, Nurse on D, with Ristolainen and Pulock not far behind. There's about 10-11 quality prospects in this draft with top line/first pair talent. And there's more beyond that with similar talent that just simply aren't as likely to hit their upside.
We always seem to have very high picks in very deep drafts. In other words, when it would be just as good to pick in our standard No. 8-12 range, we have No. 2. The depth of this draft actually works against us. Even if we get one of the Big 3 (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin), everybody else around us is going to get a stud, too.

It's times like these when I wish Rutherford had the stones to trade back into the first round for a second dip. I mean, Calgary and Columbus have three first-rounders. Why can't we do this once a decade?

Edmonton will be around No. 10. What do they want with the 10th overall pick? It's not No. 1. I'm sure they'd be willing to move it.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Probably because we don't want to trade our best players for the future.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Probably because we don't want to trade our best players for the future.
Yes, we would much rather keep our best players and finish 28th in the league. Good plan.

I think it's time to face the fact that our best players aren't that great. Philly reloaded by trading Richards and Carter. Calgary got a first for a used-up Iginla. This is what teams do. Except us. We use up our guys until they are worthless, or we lose them for nothing to free agency.

There is no plan here.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

There is a plan. It's called "Build around the Staal's, Semin, Skinner, Tlusty, Faulk, Ward and lotto pick." Not that bad of a plan, especially when many on this board consider depth to be our problem rather than our studs.

Philly was able to trade Carter and Richards because they already had Briere and Giroux. And now that Giroux has come crashing down to Earth and Briere is out with a concussion, lo and behold, Philly is in the basement with us.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:19 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

Watching the highlights of Seth Jones from the WJC.

He is that rare player who can make people look like pylons in the offensive zone, and beat you defensively with position, stickwork and physicality.

He was a man among boys. Do want.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

This draft really reminds me the 2002 draft: you had 3 "franchise" players in the making- the smooth skating defenseman with size and offensive ability in Bouwmeester, a goalie with potential to be best in the League in Lehtonen and the guy with it all, size, hands, speed in Rick Nash.

Then the next teir with very good NHL'ers (Lupul, Pitkanen, Whitney, Upshall and Bouchard).

If we get into the top 3, I could see us swapping with the other two basement feeders to ensure that we get the guy we want (hopefully it's Seth). Just like Florida traded down with C-Bus and did a minor trade with Atlatna to ensure that they got the guy they wanted (though I do hope we won't be as cheap in our motivation for doing so). Drouin and MacKinnon are considered just as good as him though.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuxhead View Post
It's actually bone for jones.
You've never had some Carolina meth then....

Old
04-09-2013, 05:01 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Raleigh meth, you mean. We're world-renowned.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Joe McGrath

A question for someone who knows a lot more about his than me, why is MacKinnon considered universally better than Drouin? Drouin had 40 more points in 5 less games, playing for the same team. I'm assuming there are valid reasons, I'm just wondering what they are.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Stahl2Stall
LOTTERY RALLY TEXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
A question for someone who knows a lot more about his than me, why is MacKinnon considered universally better than Drouin? Drouin had 40 more points in 5 less games, playing for the same team. I'm assuming there are valid reasons, I'm just wondering what they are.
He isn't?

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

http://lastwordonsports.com/2013/04/...yer-profile-1/

Closed Thread