HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposals/Free Agency and Rumors 2012/13 Part III

Old
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

vCash: 500
Keep Dany Heatley far, far, far away from Tavares and the rest of the team. The man is a joke of a hockey player and a person.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:32 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Versatility, leadership, and hard work. Did you really need to ask?
2 major concussions.
Avoids physical play.
Disappointing production the last few seasons.

No interest in keeping Boyes, but also no interest in rolling the dice on Bouchard.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:39 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Quote:
Versatility, leadership, and hard work. Did you really need to ask?
So basically a more skilled version of Frans Neilsen? PM Bouchard would only fit on this team if JT had a powerforward who is good on the boards on the left side of him. Replacing Boyes and putting Bouchard on a line with JT and Moulson makes the line more skilled, but it still leaves that line soft and handcuffs JT with all of the dirty work.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
2 major concussions.
Avoids physical play.
Disappointing production the last few seasons.

No interest in keeping Boyes, but also no interest in rolling the dice on Bouchard.
I prefer to buy stocks when they're rising. Bouchard is really coming back, and playing good hockey for a pretty good Minnesota team.

BTW, I never said I wanted him on the first line.

Dan-o16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
I prefer to buy stocks when they're rising. Bouchard is really coming back, and playing good hockey for a pretty good Minnesota team.

Where do you see him fitting if it is not on the first line? The second line looks like it won't be breaking anytime soon and the bottom six is quickly being populated by the Isles' bigger, gritter, prospects. I think it's top six or bust for PM Bouchard.

Edit: Just saw your response.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
So basically a more skilled version of Frans Neilsen? PM Bouchard would only fit on this team if JT had a powerforward who is good on the boards on the left side of him. Replacing Boyes and putting Bouchard on a line with JT and Moulson makes the line more skilled, but it still leaves that line soft and handcuffs JT with all of the dirty work.
The top line situation is a completely different issue IMO. Here's what I'd like to see out of a bottom 9 next year:

Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Bouchard
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Bouchard is a nice guy to have, because you can play him at any forward position.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:48 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Quote:
The top line situation is a completely different issue IMO. Here's what I'd like to see out of a bottom 9 next year:

Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Nelson-Bouchard
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

Bouchard is a nice guy to have, because you can play him at any forward position.
While Bouchard isn't soft, he doesn't throw around checks. That third line looks too much like the first line right now where you have two soft wingers leaving it up to the center to do all of the dirty work.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:

After 2 major concussions, he avoids physical play like the plague. If he plays a perimeter game, can he put up pts while staying healthy? Sure. But, so can Boyes.

I'd rather add size/skill/toughness so the team can get past the top teams in the east, who'll be blocking the isles: Boston, Pittsburgh and a Flyers team I expect will bounce back.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:

Bouchard is better than Heatley the way Frans Nielsen's better than Boyes. Bouchard plays 2nd line (usually with Cullen and Setoguchi - not sure how they are working in Pominville now), occasional 2nd PP. Heatley enjoys the Parise-Koivu linemates. Parise's been spectacular in the games I've seen. Minny is a fun team to watch, they aren't the same boring post-expansion team. Bouchard is a pretty smart player, strong on his skates, good passer, good decisions - kinda like a Ray Whitney type (but younger and not as good)

It's not about the numbers. I don't think the Isles need any forwards for next year (I can't believe I just wrote that)

I'm liking the way Nelson/Strome/Nino are developing - I think 1 or 2 have earned a shot and might be ready to deliver.

The kinds of players we need to add, we probably can't get, without dealing 2 or 3 of our top prospects so it might not be worth it. I'd like to see us grab a goalie, if we can.

Nabokov has better numbers than King Henrik this season, and I think he's top five in wins. But we don't have any real options in net besides Nabby. Not yet and not for next year.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Bouchard is better than Heatley the way Frans Nielsen's better than Boyes. Bouchard plays 2nd line (usually with Cullen and Setoguchi - not sure how they are working in Pominville now), occasional 2nd PP. Heatley enjoys the Parise-Koivu linemates. Parise's been spectacular in the games I've seen. Minny is a fun team to watch, they aren't the same boring post-expansion team. Bouchard is a pretty smart player, strong on his skates, good passer, good decisions - kinda like a Ray Whitney type (but younger and not as good)
Yeah, and yet you don't want him?

Look, y'all are looking for player types and looking for guys to fit the roles instead of seeing who is available who could do a lot of good things and provide a veteran presence. You could play Bailey with Nelson and Grabner & Bouchard with Nielsen and Grabner. Or if Moulson or JT go down with an injury, Bouchard slots in and picks up the slack. Ditto for Nielsen. Dude is versatile. He will be more affordable than he should be because of the concussion history.

When the team is unlikely to sign a power-forward (Horton and Clowe are the the only real options, and neither are going to be affordable), you look for slot-in guys.

I want to win next year. I don't want any part of Nino. I think Nelson looks great. I want Strome to play top line or the Bridge. Bouchard makes the whole situation work.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Yeah, and yet you don't want him?

Look, y'all are looking for player types and looking for guys to fit the roles instead of seeing who is available who could do a lot of good things and provide a veteran presence. You could play Bailey with Nelson and Grabner & Bouchard with Nielsen and Grabner. Or if Moulson or JT go down with an injury, Bouchard slots in and picks up the slack. Ditto for Nielsen. Dude is versatile. He will be more affordable than he should be because of the concussion history.

When the team is unlikely to sign a power-forward (Horton and Clowe are the the only real options, and neither are going to be affordable), you look for slot-in guys.

I'm not sure Horton won't be available. Boston looks like they will have to let him go for cap reasons. A playoff berth for the isles this season+ the looming move to a brand new arena would be strong selling points for Snow.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I'm not sure Horton won't be available. Boston looks like they will have to let him go for cap reasons. A playoff berth for the isles this season+ the looming move to a brand new arena would be strong selling points for Snow.
I never said he wouldn't be available. He won't be affordable. Perry signed for 8/69. I expect Horton to go for approx 6/42 and up.

I'd give anyone 2:1 with a donation to favored charity that we don't get Horton. (I mean, I'd give that to one taker. Maybe two. Not to anyone and everyone. I max at 1C).

Last edited by Dan-o16: 04-09-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
I never said he wouldn't be available. He won't be affordable. Perry signed for 8/69. I expect Horton to go for approx 6/42 and up
SEVEN MIL PER? That's a bit of a reach. He's a lock for 6 x 6 but I'd be shocked if he gets 7 mil AAV.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Still, Garth will not pay 6M per for Horton.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
I'd give anyone 2:1 with a donation to favored charity that we don't get Horton. (I mean, I'd give that to one taker. Maybe two. Not to anyone and everyone. I max at 1C).
Well, the odds are long for any team to get one player. That doesn't mean he wouldn't be a good fit.

Count me as a no on Bouchard. It's not an inditement on him as a player, because I think he's fine, but I just don't think he'd make the Isles a better, more rounded team.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
SEVEN MIL PER? That's a bit of a reach. He's a lock for 6 x 6 but I'd be shocked if he gets 7 mil AAV.
The market has been set. There's high demand, low supply.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:45 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I never said he wouldn't be available. He won't be affordable. Perry signed for 8/69. I expect Horton to go for approx 6/42 and up.

With the cap coming down, any gm that gives Horton $7m deserves to end up in salary cap hell. Then again, the big contract Semin just signed also surprised me.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:53 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
With the cap coming down, any gm that gives Horton $7m deserves to end up in salary cap hell. Then again, the big contract Semin just signed also surprised me.
Whether it's 6m over 7 years or 7m over 6 years it'll be too rich for us. It takes one team, and someone will do it.

We have to figure that NYI will make their splash in offseason 2014.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:16 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
I can't see him getting anywhere near that much. He has reached 30 goals exactly once in his career, when he got 31.

Who has the cap room/desperate need/stupidity to pay him that much? Semin got 7, but he has hit 34+ goals 3 times, 40 once and is a ppg player this year.

With the cap going down, I think Horton ends up much closer to $5M per year.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I can't see him getting anywhere near that much. He has reached 30 goals exactly once in his career, when he got 31.

Who has the cap room/desperate need/stupidity to pay him that much? Semin got 7, but he has hit 34+ goals 3 times, 40 once and is a ppg player this year.

With the cap going down, I think Horton ends up much closer to $5M per year.
Thats how i feel. With the Cap going down players should expect to see lower offers.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
StrongIslanders90

I wouldnt be mad if we got Horton because he would help and be an upgrade, but he's a bit overrated imo...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:52 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I wouldnt be mad if we got Horton because he would help and be an upgrade, but he's a bit overrated imo...
He's not an elite player, but I think he would be a good fit. Someone who can provide a physical presence with enough offensive skill to not slow down JT.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:07 PM
crashthenet

I'd persue Khudobin in the off-season.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:26 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Still, Garth will not pay 6M per for Horton.
Good. Either would I. Thats way to much $ and to long of a contract

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Islanderfan17

David Clarkson - UFA next season?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't David Clarkson a UFA this coming off season? He plays RW, scores goals, has a mean streak. Is this not the exact kind of RW'er that we've wanted for the JT line for years now? I say we throw the bank (reasonably) at this guy if he is available. I am guessing he re-signs with the Devils, but if he decides to test the market then I think we should pursue him. Thoughts?

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote