HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can Malkin carry us again?

Old
04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
wheelz87
Trade Fleury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I mentioned this in the +/- thread - for all the shooters the Geno line has on it, they pass way too often.

Geno needs to step it up, but Bylsma needs to realize Neal-Malkin-Iginla or Iginla-Malkin-Neal doesn't work.

Of course depending on Neal's status after the elbow to the head, you have to put Iginla with Malkin now.
Though now Iggy can claim his RW spot and perhaps Kunitz can play on the left side. Yes, after that, there is no other line that can really create much but whatev.

And yea, it's a joke that Bennett is in WBS. NO reason he can't contribute in a top 6 or bottom 6 role this season. He could not have played any better in his 10 or so games here. Bring the kid back up.

wheelz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Another disgusting performance by 71. Probably the worst of the season. Nothing has changed for me though, Iīm still scared about him and waiting for the playoffs before I come to final conclusions.

Sid, please, come back soon and healthy Thatīs probably the biggest possible help for Geno, because he has problems to handle best D-pairings right now. Sid would take those matchups and beat them and there is at least a hope that Malkin can do something against 2nd pairings.. Help from the blueline is also missing badly, but I donīt want to give him these excuses when itīs clear that something is wrong.

Genoīs next contract remains a huge question mark as well.

Will Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

the correct answer to our current issue is beau bennett. thus, Morrow will be filling that spot

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
Another disgusting performance by 71. Probably the worst of the season. Nothing has changed for me though, Iīm still scared about him and waiting for the playoffs before I come to final conclusions.

Sid, please, come back soon and healthy Thatīs probably the biggest possible help for Geno, because he has problems to handle best D-pairings right now. Sid would take those matchups and beat them and there is at least a hope that Malkin can do something against 2nd pairings.. Help from the blueline is also missing badly, but I donīt want to give him these excuses when itīs clear that something is wrong.

He and Ovy look like they're following the same career path...downhilll quickly.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:18 PM
ericstrat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post

I think we're lucky he's having a non-MVP season this year- it gives us hope we can negotiate a reasonable contract with him this off-season. I think Geno will be fine in the long-run. These Rangers games have been annoying for sure, but he can't create much being trapped in his own end and with them blocking every shot and every pass and Iginla looking totally lost. Not having Letang/Martin is absolutely killing our transition game. Not having Sid healthy is letting teams load up to stop him.

Also, we're facing desperate teams trying to make the playoffs, after we had a long winning streak. That's a bad combination. I'm not worried- we need to get healthy and get Geno wingers playing their natural and he'll be dominant again.

Unless he's hiding an injury. He's done that before where he's gone long stretches where he just doesn't look like himself.

ericstrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Steve Durbano

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffy66 View Post
Wow its craaazy in here lol. Geno is the of the best players in the universe. Can he carry us? If it can be done, hes one of the most likely to do so. Two bad games and all hell breaks loose.

PS I think NY is a great city too, doesn't mean I'm moving there anytime soon.

PSS I hear Geno has changed his mind about returning to Russia because Pittsburgh is much closer to his fav city, NY.
Laugh all you want. I feel like I'm watching the movie Dying Alive 2, the sequel.

Steve Durbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Durbano View Post
He and Ovy look like they're following the same career path...downhilll quickly.
he won the art ross and hart last season.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Quote:
Laugh all you want. I feel like I'm watching the movie Dying Alive 2, the sequel.
Wow, really? Aside from both being generational talents Malkin and Jagr have zero in common, their situations have zero in common, and the Pens organization then and now have nothing in common.

If people want to say Malkin is having a bit of an off year I'd agree, but there is some crazy stuff being said in here.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
laufer72

Quote:
Looks like you can't wait to watch it.....

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
domaug*

do i think he can carry this team like Crosby has before his injury? no.

do i think he can carry this team in some respect offensively? yes.

he's having a poor season so far but i think the points will come.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
kshinkman*

Quote:
Ovechkin has 25 goals this season. The Pens would kill to have Malkin going downhill like that.

kshinkman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:25 PM
zacharoni16

vCash: 50
If downhill is like a run away semi-truck I'll take it!!!25 goals

zacharoni16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:51 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
You sound like a bitter boyfriend taking your anger at your ex out on your new girlfriend.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:26 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Wow, really? Aside from both being generational talents Malkin and Jagr have zero in common, their situations have zero in common, and the Pens organization then and now have nothing in common.

If people want to say Malkin is having a bit of an off year I'd agree, but there is some crazy stuff being said in here.
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...ts.php?pid=458

Malkin is a tough one to figure out. His Art Ross year is certainly looking like his "peak" and an outlier season for him (this is the cold, hard fact, and elephant in the room). I fear the Pens are going to offer him an insano contract that he has no chance to live up to. He has steadily been declining since his 07-08 season and this season's performance isn't too out of line with that trendline. One thing is for sure, do not expect him to return to 2012 form. That is not a realistic expectation, but I wish we "could expect" it.

It would not be a popular opinion and I like the guy (a lot), but trading him for a #2C and a good top 6 winger would not be a bad long term decision. I just haven't seen enough Russian players play well into the later half of their careers to be comfortable offering him over a 5 year contract at Crosby money. He will certainly get the biggest contract the CBA allows. I think the Pens would regret being the ones who offered it to him.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

Malkin is a tough one to figure out. His Art Ross year is certainly looking like his "peak" and an outlier season for him (this is the cold, hard fact, and elephant in the room). I fear the Pens are going to offer him an insano contract that he has no chance to live up to. He has steadily been declining since his 07-08 season and this season's performance isn't too out of line with that trendline. One thing is for sure, do not expect him to return to 2012 form. That is not a realistic expectation, but I wish we "could expect" it.

It would not be a popular opinion and I like the guy (a lot), but trading him for a #2C and a good top 6 winger would not be a bad long term decision. I just haven't seen enough Russian players play well into the later half of their careers to be comfortable offering him over a 5 year contract at Crosby money. He will certainly get the biggest contract the CBA allows. I think the Pens would regret being the ones who offered it to him.
So we're just ignoring his Conn Smythe then?

And nothing personal, but any time I see someone lump all Russian players into the same group I tend to take their opinion with a grain of salt.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
He's been steadily declining since 07-08 yet last year he won the scoring title.

Okay then.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Shady Machine

I'm not sure why I entered this thread.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
KareemTrustfund
Shove it, losers!

Quote:

This is just horrible.

KareemTrustfund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario_is_BACK!! View Post
He's been steadily declining since 07-08 yet last year he won the scoring title.

Okay then.
It's an outlier duhhh. Forget the fact that he won the Conn Smythe in 2009 by scoring the most playoff points since Lemieux/Gretzky or that he won the Hart/Art Ross last year. Those are called outliers. The 2 seasons in between where he was injured half the time, those are the years that count when analyzing statistics.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:29 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

At this point I find the entire premise of "one player must carry us" to be somewhat bogus. We have enough good players on this team that we should be able to compete even when Sid and Geno are not 100% / are in a bit of a rut.

We are in the odd situation where our two C are in a class almost by themselves, and then we skip a level. Most of the teams that win the Cup do not have even one guy on the level of Sid or Geno, but they have multiple guys who offensively are better than Sutter, and then one Sutter type player of their own.

What we're missing (that we ostensibly make up for with Jarome Iginla at this point) is a Krejci or Sharp type player. Someone clearly not in the same league as Sid or Geno but clearly better than Sutter (or Staal in years past).

Off the top of my head and quickly because I don't want to waste too much time on it, the group of Centers at the top is very narrow if you're talking about true playmaking C who can also score 30G+ regularly, vs guys who are basically snipers that can take draws and not much else (like Stamkos or Carter), or guys who are huge setup men without as much scoring.

Bigtime Snipers that are OK playmakers - Stamkos, Carter
Bigtime Setup Guys that are OK goalscorers - Thornton, Sedin

Guys that can do both regularly
A - Geno, Sid, Datsyuk, Spezza (somewhere between A and B when he has good linemates)
B - Kopitar, Toews, Giroux, Kane (hybrid C/W but in the discussion), Backstrom, Getzlaf
C - Zetterberg, Bergeron, Sharp, Richards, E. Staal, Krejci, etc etc

So what most good teams have is 0 guys in the first 3 categories, 1B and 2 Cs or if they're lucky 2Bs and 1C. Currently only Chicago and LA fit that decription or something close. Toews, Kane, Sharp and Kopitar, Carter, Richards. We have two guys in the first 3 categories and none in the next two down. Sutter, Staal, etc would be in group D if I had time to list it. Group C by itself would be pretty large.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:31 AM
NewFang

I hear Kunitz will be playing with Malkin and Iggy. I think this line will really click. No more excuses. GEt 're done.

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM
Zbynek

Quote:

Shero has said this before, and I will say it again, why would we even consider trading Malkin when we already know we would be losing the best player in the deal?

Just...no...to this entire post...no.

Zbynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:46 AM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
I hear Kunitz will be playing with Malkin and Iggy. I think this line will really click. No more excuses. GEt 're done.
And then, if they don't, everyone can say it's because Neal wasn't on the line!

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:49 AM
laufer72

This thread is getting progressively worse.....

laufer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbynek View Post
Shero has said this before, and I will say it again, why would we even consider trading Malkin when we already know we would be losing the best player in the deal?

Just...no...to this entire post...no.
It's not just that. You also have to keep in mind the financial implications. Can the Penguins afford to keep both Letang and Malkin?

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote