HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART VII

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 05:41 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Can you link me to said post?

The info is from a fan post, in the comment section of Dee Karl's Accolades article. I don't know how credible the poster's info is.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=105973&forum_id=1"
NYI78
Monday @ 8:59 AM ET
So here's an update from Bport. Anders Nilsson has a red blood cell deficancy. It caused him to lose the weight be sluggish like he is sick... they finally have a plan in place with vitamins and constant checking his levels and IV's when necesary. He was able to dress as the backup this weekend so all signs are pointing to him making a recovery. Kiril Kabanov is having nerve issues since he was cut. the nerves have not completely regenerate yet and it has affected his shot and passing. They think everything will be fine but he is just not there yet. Finally..... Strome is a FUN watch.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Jester9881

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
What a waste of a VERY HIGH second round pick. Snow and co really blew that one. Could have had Ryan O'Reilly, Jacob Silfverberg, Robin Lehner, Stefan Elliot, Richard Panik, Dmitri Orlov, etc. All of which were rated more highly. You CAN NOT blow a pick like that HOPING to hit a home run. The Detroits of the world have that luxury where they can try that.
Hindsight is nice.

That said, Mikko is putting up better numbers right now than Nilsson/Poulin..... and just because he's signed a contract, doesn't mean we've lost him. Where else do you want him to play? Should we make him come back over and run 3/4 goalies in Bridgeport? That would be pretty awesome!

Old
04-09-2013, 09:40 AM
seafoam
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

vCash: 50
Glad to hear Anders has finally figured this out and is working to get this solved. Also, that sucks for Kirill. I know a lot of people mentioned something like this when the injury first occured. I'm am glad to hear though that everything should eventually return to normal according to Karl's report.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:44 AM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
The joke is Moulson and Boyes being on the 1st line. The joke is having JT play with no protection whatsoever. The bigger joke would be having JT and Strome playing with no protection.

Long-term there should be other options, but assuming there are not major UFA or trade acquisitions I think for the next year or so Martin would be an option to play with JT. and create some space for him The 1st line doesn't have to be your 3 best forwards.
I agree that moulson and boyes are a joke on the first line but you can't say that moulson hasn't been producing there with his 30+ goals each season even if they are all garbage goals. I'd much rather see a guy like Lee (not this year) or joensuu on the first line. Martin just does not have the skill to be on the first line

Old
04-09-2013, 09:45 AM
BaileyToOkposo

It's funny tho like I said before earlier in the year i was getting ripped on for saying how bad boyes was and now everyone's calling for his head

Old
04-09-2013, 10:13 AM
kasper11

Quote:
What a waste of a VERY HIGH second round pick. Snow and co really blew that one. Could have had Ryan O'Reilly, Jacob Silfverberg, Robin Lehner, Stefan Elliot, Richard Panik, Dmitri Orlov, etc. All of which were rated more highly. You CAN NOT blow a pick like that HOPING to hit a home run. The Detroits of the world have that luxury where they can try that.
Are we really complaining about the draft where the Isles added John Tavares, Casey Cizikas and Anders Lee?

Find me a team that hasn't missed with a high pick and I will start to care. Until then, I am pretty happy that the first two drafts of the rebuild yielded JT, Hamonic, Bailey, Martin and Cizikas and several prospects (Donavan, Lee, Poulin, etc) who I still have hope for.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
What a waste of a VERY HIGH second round pick. Snow and co really blew that one. Could have Robin Lehner, . You CAN NOT blow a pick like that HOPING to hit a home run. The Detroits of the world have that luxury where they can try that.
I have to agree with this the islanders should have picked Lehner, the other guys you mentioned dont really matter. But Lehner was the highest rated goalie in the draft. They go with two huge goalies who just arent nearly as athletic. Why Because Garth was a Big goalie? I think we should be annoyed that these goalies have been developing poorly. Poulin gets out of position so badly, he is gonna give up so many bad goals.

Bottomline, they need to get a guy like bernier and i would give up there first rounder plus any goalie in our system. Nabokov isnt getting any younger. We dont have time to wait for a newly drafted goalie to develop.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:40 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
I have to agree with this the islanders should have picked Lehner, the other guys you mentioned dont really matter. But Lehner was the highest rated goalie in the draft. They go with two huge goalies who just arent nearly as athletic. Why Because Garth was a Big goalie? I think we should be annoyed that these goalies have been developing poorly. Poulin gets out of position so badly, he is gonna give up so many bad goals.

Bottomline, they need to get a guy like bernier and i would give up there first rounder plus any goalie in our system. Nabokov isnt getting any younger. We dont have time to wait for a newly drafted goalie to develop.
Don't write off Nilsson. Health is the only thing holding this kid back. Hopefully now that they have it diagnosed he can get healthy and play to his true abilities. Nilsson really is quite talented not just a big body.

I'm not even writting off Koskinen at this point. Lots of goalies stay in Europe and develop until they're in their mid twenties then come over and have success. Its not like Koskinen is playing like Rosen. Have patience, goalies take time.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Macch

Quote:

I agree with everything you said, but hindsight is always 20/20. If Koskinen had made huge strides right now and was owning the AHL we wouldn't even be having this discussion. But he isn't and our future goalie situation does look a little bleak at the moment, but I'm guessing Garth will wait another season to decide if they need to trade for more of an established goalie. Give Poulin and Nilsson one more year to take the next step. Bernier isn't exactly proven. Who knows how he will handle the starting role? The Isles should sit tight right now.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
It's funny tho like I said before earlier in the year i was getting ripped on for saying how bad boyes was and now everyone's calling for his head
I would have no problem with Boyes if he was playing with Reasoner & Martin or with Cizikas and Martin or even with Aucoin and Joensuu.....but the fact he's playing with Moulson is a complete joke. You couldn't pick two worse players, together, for Tavares.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Don't write off Nilsson. Health is the only thing holding this kid back. Hopefully now that they have it diagnosed he can get healthy and play to his true abilities. Nilsson really is quite talented not just a big body.

I'm not even writting off Koskinen at this point. Lots of goalies stay in Europe and develop until they're in their mid twenties then come over and have success. Its not like Koskinen is playing like Rosen. Have patience, goalies take time.
Ok, so in your opinion who will be there 2 goalies next year?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
duster19

Quote:

I dunno, Silfverburg looks like he might be a stud in the making. Kid has some serious speed and skill. Ridiculous shot.

For all of Ottawa's struggles this year, next year they are going to be ridiculous. I hope they dont collapse and fall out of the picture. They deserve better

Old
04-09-2013, 11:47 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Hindsight is nice.

That said, Mikko is putting up better numbers right now than Nilsson/Poulin..... and just because he's signed a contract, doesn't mean we've lost him. Where else do you want him to play? Should we make him come back over and run 3/4 goalies in Bridgeport? That would be pretty awesome!
If you looked in the archives, I absolutely HATED the Koskinen pick from the start, wasn't too thrilled with the Nilsson pick as well, I have nothing against Koskinen except that he has basically become the new Kirill Petrov, we may never see him. The fact that nobody outside of O'Reilly has really shined, has masked the fact that the Koskinen pick was a ****** pick, a pick made out of desperation. Overall, I do like Snow's/Isle's Scout's track record from 2008 till now though. The shelves are stocked with excellent prospects, very exciting future for our beloved Isles. Now let's get Kitchton signed !!

Old
04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
boredmale

Quote:
I have nothing against Koskinen except that he has basically become the new Kirill Petrov, we may never see him.
I think the difference between the 2 is one is a victim of numbers the other has seems hesitant to come over. For the Islanders it's probably the best to have Koskinen play alot in Finland then split games 3 ways in Bridgeport

It's hard to write off any of our goalie prospects at this point. Look at how many goalies really don't break into the league till they like 24/25.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I think the difference between the 2 is one is a victim of numbers the other has seems hesitant to come over. For the Islanders it's probably the best to have Koskinen play alot in Finland then split games 3 ways in Bridgeport

It's hard to write off any of our goalie prospects at this point. Look at how many goalies really don't break into the league till they like 24/25.
Unfortunately, we need goalies NOW. Nabby is 37, AND unsigned. Poulin, though I'm a big fan, is a worse goalie at 23 than he was at 21 (showed tons of promise 2 years ago before his weird injury). Nilsson, with his weird disease, are we sure we can ever depend on him ? In the offseason, they better sign a good goalie younger than 36, isn't Jimmy Howard an UFA ? Sign the guy !

Old
04-09-2013, 02:07 PM
steveat

I have a feeling we are going for Fucale in this draft.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
duster19

The BP and islanders goalie situation is a mess. They have to figure out what to do with Ricky. The Nilsson sickness is worrisome. Hopefully they can get him back playing, but is this something that will return? Limit him? I dont think anyone knows. Lots of questions need to be answered. I do think even Garth, with his commitment to his prospects, knows he has got to sign a or a couple goalies. Nabby isnt even signed for next year yet. Definately alot of work to be done.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:01 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post

I respecfully disagree about being a victim of the numbers game. Bottom line is, he's not as good as Nilsson or Poulin, otherwise he's be the starter at Bridgeport.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:18 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Unfortunately, we need goalies NOW. Nabby is 37, AND unsigned. Poulin, though I'm a big fan, is a worse goalie at 23 than he was at 21 (showed tons of promise 2 years ago before his weird injury). Nilsson, with his weird disease, are we sure we can ever depend on him ? In the offseason, they better sign a good goalie younger than 36, isn't Jimmy Howard an UFA ? Sign the guy !
Goalies likely to be available by trade this offseason...
Bernier, Luongo, Miller, Hillier

UFA goalies...
Smith, Howard, Nabokov, Backstrom, Emery, Khudobin, maybe Bryzgalov

I'm not too concerned about next year. Ideally they will find a long-term solution, but there are more goaltenders available than teams needing one.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
kasper11

Quote:
I respecfully disagree about being a victim of the numbers game. Bottom line is, he's not as good as Nilsson or Poulin, otherwise he's be the starter at Bridgeport.
He wasn't as good two years ago. Doesn't mean that he isn't as good or better now.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Goalies likely to be available by trade this offseason...
Bernier, Luongo, Miller, Hillier

UFA goalies...
Smith, Howard, Nabokov, Backstrom, Emery, Khudobin, maybe Bryzgalov

I'm not too concerned about next year. Ideally they will find a long-term solution, but there are more goaltenders available than teams needing one.
Yeah, but you can cross these goalies off the Islander's list: Luongo, Miller, Smith, Howard, (probably) Backstrom, Bryzgalov.

That leaves Bernier, Hiller, Nabokov, Emery, Khudobin. We need two of them. Optimally a combo of Bernier/Nabokov or Nabokov/Khudobin.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
You would be painfully wrong..... unless you're fine with having 3 goalie prospects split time in the AHL. But since you don't like any of our goalie prospects, apparently your preferred method would have been not to draft a goalie at all.....

In that case, it's a little disingenuous to also complain that we currently have no goalie prospects.

Sounds like another Islander fan that isn't happy unless they're complaining.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
You would be painfully wrong..... unless you're fine with having 3 goalie prospects split time in the AHL. But since you don't like any of our goalie prospects, apparently your preferred method would have been not to draft a goalie at all.....

In that case, it's a little disingenuous to also complain that we currently have no goalie prospects.

Sounds like another Islander fan that isn't happy unless they're complaining.
I agree with you about that we can't have 3 prospects in the ahl. However, i do feel based on our system which look very good in both defense and forwards. We have the right to be concerned about our future goaltending. Neither goalie has shown they are ready to be more then an nhl backup. They have put up worse numbers in the ahl then most goalies. Yes the sound tigers defense has been horrible, but they haven't been making up for that with great or even good play. Nabakov isn't gonna be here forever.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Sheva7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Yeah, but you can cross these goalies off the Islander's list: Luongo, Miller, Smith, Howard, (probably) Backstrom, Bryzgalov.

That leaves Bernier, Hiller, Nabokov, Emery, Khudobin. We need two of them. Optimally a combo of Bernier/Nabokov or Nabokov/Khudobin.
You forgot NYI's Tim Thomas lol

Old
04-09-2013, 05:40 PM
RWWallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The info is from a fan post, in the comment section of Dee Karl's Accolades article. I don't know how credible the poster's info is.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=105973&forum_id=1"
NYI78
Monday @ 8:59 AM ET
So here's an update from Bport. Anders Nilsson has a red blood cell deficancy. It caused him to lose the weight be sluggish like he is sick... they finally have a plan in place with vitamins and constant checking his levels and IV's when necesary. He was able to dress as the backup this weekend so all signs are pointing to him making a recovery. Kiril Kabanov is having nerve issues since he was cut. the nerves have not completely regenerate yet and it has affected his shot and passing. They think everything will be fine but he is just not there yet. Finally..... Strome is a FUN watch.
Is Anders Nilsson related to Mark Fitzpatrick at all?

Closed Thread