HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trophy Watch Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
Well , its clear where subban, gallagher and therrien stand in their races, will be interesting to see how the calder will play out tho, gallaghers doing all this on a winning team

BUT, dont be surprised if price gets a vezina nod, .. he wont win , but they love goalies who lead the league in WINS, i think itd be great if he got some sort of nomination, might shut up alot of people around here
He was first in wins three years ago... By like 7 wins and didnt get a nomination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Subban should be leading the race for Norris. PPG player right now AND a much better defensive defenceman than Karlsson, who won it last year based on his offence. But he's got a ridiculous bad rep around the league and there's another factor I won't dare mention...

Letang is about to comeback from injury though...so it could get interesting.

Price should be not be in the Vezina conversation unless he is on fire to end the year. His save % is just not high enough.

I'm pretty convinced Gallagher will not get a nomination for the Calder. Saad and Brodin are clearly ahead of him right now and play key roles on winning teams and the voters will fall for Huberdeau's point totals even though FLA puts him in every offensive situation since they have no one else. Plus you have Conacher, Schultz, Hamilton, etc.

I think the Wild GM will get GM of the year. MB could get nominated though.
Don't ever go on the main boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Yeah, it's not like being a rookie GM and taking a 15 spot team to competing to the 1st position in its conference was impressive or anything like that anyway...
...Yeah it's not like he has been gm for less than a year... Compared to others who've been GMing for years.

Last edited by Mrb1p: 04-09-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He was first in wins three years ago... By like 7 wins and didnt get a nomination.

Don't ever go on the main boards

...Yeah it's not like he made has been gm for less than a year... Compared to others who've been GMing for years.
He took less than a year to get a team from #15 to competing for the 1st spot in the conference.

Gauthier is not doing the Cole for Ryder trade, and I doubt he makes the moves Bergevin has made so far.

He made key decisions, like hiring Therrien, sending Gomez home, trading Cole away, surrounding himself with good people and holding on to those draft picks, and that makes the Habs a better team now and in the future.

Plus, the trophy is called "GM of the year" for a reason. It's ridiculous and pointless to talk about longevity in such a situation.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Subban should be leading the race for Norris. PPG player right now AND a much better defensive defenceman than Karlsson, who won it last year based on his offence. But he's got a ridiculous bad rep around the league and there's another factor I won't dare mention...
You will be under heavy attack if Sens' fans saw this.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
sharks9

Quote:
He was tied with Luongo for first, but had played 12 more games. I believe he finished 5th in voting that year.

It was obvious it was going to Thomas though because he set that GAA or SV% record, I forget which one.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
LG you are a lot like me. You let stuff drive you crazy some times. I had not even thought of that, and now it's annoying me too.

Tone down that IQ, take drugs or something, it will help.
drugs will make him more imaginative, not the best idea.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:22 PM
DAChampion

I am really annoyed with sens fans obsessive the main board who think that karlsson should win the Norris.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:37 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I am really annoyed with sens fans obsessive the main board who think that karlsson should win the Norris.
Like, this year also? What the hell.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price would have a save percentage right there with Lundqvist and a much better record. It would be his to lose right now.
You would have to exclude Henrik's three worst games too though, same for every other goalie.

EDIT

This is what would happen if you excluded two worst games for these goalies:

Lundqvist: .933%

Price: .926%

Something else I noticed. Lundqvist has played more minutes and faced more shots on average than Price. Also has only allowed more than 3 goals twice all season, compared to 6 times for Price.

Statistically, Lundqvist has had a better season whichever method is used. So I think we can stop thinking about those two blowouts.

Last edited by Frankenheimer: 04-08-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Frankenheimer

If Subban continues at this pace, I think he has an outside shot at Hart, especially with Crosby down. He is the MVP of our club.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:06 PM
McNuts

I strongly doubt Subban will win the Norris. It will most likely be Ryan Suter.

Subban is excellent, but his ice time will play against him. You cannot win the Norris if you don't even have #1 ice time on your own team.

McNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:13 PM
dutchy29

I don't know because I haven't seen Huberdeau play a whole lot, but there has got to more to this trophy than point totals. Gallagher has more GWG, more PIM,
plays with more intensity per lb than anyone since Theo Fleury, better plus/minus,
That said Florida has had nothing to cheer about this season, so they might get the sympathy vote.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
You would have to exclude Henrik's three worst games too though, same for every other goalie.

EDIT

This is what would happen if you excluded two worst games for these goalies:

Lundqvist: .933%

Price: .926%

Something else I noticed. Lundqvist has played more minutes and faced more shots on average than Price. Also has only allowed more than 3 goals twice all season, compared to 6 times for Price.

Statistically, Lundqvist has had a better season whichever method is used. So I think we can stop thinking about those two blowouts.
I would take Price at .926 vs. Lundqvist at .933 for the Vezina. You can't ignore the wins.

Save percentage is definitely the best stat we have available for judging a goalie, but it's not the only stat. The stat can be skewed a fair bit if you have a bad game. Lundqvist got a terrible start and is now playing catchup. No doubt he's been ridiculous for the last month but they were in a huge hole to begin with.

Lundqvist was not good to start the season:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playe...qprrC1SEzCfgM6

From March onward though, he's stupid hot.

Anyway it doesn't matter. My vote for the Vezina would be for Lundqvist because those games DID happen and you can't win the Vezina with a save percentage worse than .920.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Frankenheimer

Quote:
I would take Price at .926 vs. Lundqvist at .933 for the Vezina. You can't ignore the wins.

Save percentage is definitely the best stat we have available for judging a goalie, but it's not the only stat. The stat can be skewed a fair bit if you have a bad game. Lundqvist got a terrible start and is now playing catchup. No doubt he's been ridiculous for the last month but they were in a huge hole to begin with.

Lundqvist was not good to start the season:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/playe...qprrC1SEzCfgM6
I still don't understand your argument.

Lundqvist has 17 wins out of the Rangers 19

Price has 19 wins out of the Habs 25

Not only is there a difference of only two wins, Lundqvist has a higher percentage of wins for his club. Why would you take .926 over .933? Just because?

Your main criteria for choosing Price is that he is a Hab. Lundqvist has had an objectively better season based on whichever method is applied, the second more favourable to Price I might add.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I still don't understand your argument.

Lundqvist has 17 wins out of the Rangers 19

Price has 19 wins out of the Habs 25

Not only is there a difference of only two wins, Lundqvist has a higher percentage of wins for his club. Why would you take .926 over .933? Just because?

Your main criteria for choosing Price is that he is a Hab. Lundqvist has had an objectively better season based on whichever method is applied, the second more favourable to Price I might add.
Actually my main criteria is not looking at the stats closely enough... I didn't realize the wins were that close.

I do think that Lundqvist sucked to start the year though and it didn't help NY. Anyways... like I said, it doesn't matter. Lundqvist gets my vote.

Old
04-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Frankenheimer

Just trying to help you overcome those two devastating losses. I'm with you there. But would have taken a bit higher level of play overall to snag Vezina.

EDIT

And to be fair, Brodeur won the trophy a few times if I recall without being in the upper tier of save percentage leaders.

DOUBLE EDIT

Brodeur was only in the top ten sv% leaders one of the four times he won the trophy. Weird.

Last edited by Frankenheimer: 04-08-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Just trying to help you overcome those two devastating losses. I'm with you there. But would have taken a bit higher level of play overall to snag Vezina.

EDIT

And to be fair, Brodeur won the trophy a few times if I recall without being in the upper tier of save percentage leaders.

DOUBLE EDIT

Brodeur was only in the top ten sv% leaders one of the four times he won the trophy. Weird.
Actually Schneider has a good case... 24 wins, .928. That's pretty good.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:44 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
15 wins?

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
You have issues with your stats again

Old
04-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
...Yeah it's not like he made has been gm for less than a year... Compared to others who've been GMing for years.
That doesn't matter. The trophy is handed to the GM that performed to his best ability for THIS season and this season ONLY! Last year, two, three years back has absolutely no reflection on who wins it this year. None.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
That doesn't matter. The trophy is handed to the GM that performed to his best ability for THIS season and this season ONLY! Last year, two, three years back has absolutely no reflection on who wins it this year. None.
Still you really think a GM that made less than 10 hockey related moves should be a contender for it ?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Bob Lemoche

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNuts View Post
I strongly doubt Subban will win the Norris. It will most likely be Ryan Suter.

Subban is excellent, but his ice time will play against him. You cannot win the Norris if you don't even have #1 ice time on your own team.
That would be dumb but it wouldn't surprise me either.

Subban had the most ice time by a fair margin last year and he wasn't as good as he is this year.

Therrien used him less in the first month because he missed the start of the season and because he wanted to establish who was the boss (at least I think that's why he did it because Subban was excellent from the get go).

Since then he's getting the most quality minutes of the team... playing against top opposition like he was last year and he's on the ice as much as possible whenever the tean needs it the most (tie game, trailing by one, leading by one). However, Therrien again hurts his TOI stat by getting him a bit less ice time in the games that we lead by a few goals... (I actually like it since we'll see a fresher Subban for the playoffs which is important considering the density of the season)

Journalists who votes for Norris won't know/look into all this however and they are probably gonna draw false conclusions by looking at that TOI stat. Heck even local journalists following the team that call themselves hockey experts don't know what the hell they are talking about half the time sooo...

Bob Lemoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Another article to chew on for the ones who bashed Therrien's hiring

Old
04-09-2013, 11:19 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Still you really think a GM that made less than 10 hockey related moves should be a contender for it ?
If those 10 hockey related moves helped he Habs move from last in the East to first, absolutely.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
If those 10 hockey related moves helped he Habs move from last in the East to first, absolutely.
This. I think it's pretty damn obvious that GM of the year has to be handed to the best GM of THIS season.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
You will be under heavy attack if Sens' fans saw this.
If you even mention them in the same breath Sens fans go berserk.

I remember we had a thread last year asking if Subban could be as good as Karlsson one day, and the Sens board had a field day with it, like it was the most absurd question that had ever been asked.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote