HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Don't boo the rookies

Old
04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
sabrefan27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Connection View Post
I usually agree with most of your posts, but here I can not. Just because a fan pays money it does not give them free rain. Yes booing and cheering is expected, but it can and must not become personal. Boo the action or play but never the player. IMOA...
This whole "debate" mainly has to do with the oversensitive nature of Buffalo sports fans. Other fan bases in other cities and sports boo as well, and no one ever thinks twice about it. For some reason in city of Buffalo, people are way too sensitive. Seriously, millionaire athletes got booed by some fans they'll never know. Big deal.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:23 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
How to support your hometown hockey team 101. See.... Winnipeg Jets 2011-12 season.

How to look like complete imbeciles when supporting your hometown hockey team. See...... NY Rangers, Philldelphia Flyers.... any year, any season.

Buffalo is way closer to Winnipeg than NY/Philly.\
I've been to a ton of NYR games over the years (usually when they are hosting Buffalo).

I'm not sure that's a comparison you really want to make. The Rangers fans can be pretty loud and raucous. And there are hecklers, but by and large they don't boo their own team the way that Buffalo fans do, even when they are playing bad.

Not sure what happened to the Buffalo crowd. Back in the 90s, it seemed like the crowd was louder, more chanting, and less negative/cynical/pessimistic. Granted, the team hasn't been good this year, but it seems this way even during wins.

Of course, I don't get to many games in Buffalo anymore, and maybe I'm not really getting an accurate picture over TV.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Did you take the time to buy a ticket? Drive to the arena? Pay for parking? Buy concessions?

Then you have every right to cheer how you want to cheer, and boo how you want to boo. Every other fan has the right to like it, or hate it.

Express yourself.....

Don't like it? Do something about it!
Brian Burke always said that the NHL is in entertainment business. There have been long periods of time the last few years where the Sabres have been booooring.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
Doesn't embarrass me in the slightest.
What player would sign for a team who's fans boo every game at the slightest opportunity?

What message does it send to young players who make one mistake and booed off the ice for it?

What do we expect from a bunch of players who, until recently, had spend 90% of their career at junior levels?

A team that reached the Stanley Cup finals last year pinned a line full of AHL players in our own zone for a long time. What do we expect? Anyone who boos that should be ashamed of themselves.

I am not arguing the right to boo, I'm saying it's wrong to do so.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:27 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

the fans at FNC are so annoying. I am scared to try to get any chant going because I know the doom and gloomers won't. They just want to boo instead of cheering and it's so annoying, but in what point do you have to boo? I mean I'd rather hear booing than nothing at all? but when you're getting cycled on in your own zone for 2 minutes wtf are you supposed to hear? we tried a lets go buffalo chant and NJ still cycled on us for an extra 45 seconds then we took a penalty....

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
That's the problem.
Blame the victim.

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Driftwood
Fire Regier

The black cloud and negativity around the franchise will clear when Regier is canned.

Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
What player would sign for a team who's fans boo every game at the slightest opportunity?
Exactly. And notice that the 2 players asking the fanbase to control the boos (Miller and Ott) and veterans whom the team would presumably like to resign and who I think have little to do with our current woes.

Quote:
The black cloud and negativity around the franchise will clear when Regier is canned.
I'd like to keep Regeir but I think you're probably right, at least in the short term.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:30 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Holy crap I feel like my head is going to explode. You think an athlete will decide not to sign with a team just because some fans in the building have been known to boo? Unreal.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Holy crap I feel like my head is going to explode. You think an athlete will decide not to sign with a team just because some fans in the building have been known to boo? Unreal.
Athletes like to be cheered and we do very little of it. If it got to a certain critical level (where we're at now) where it's become an issue with players (Miller and Ott), yeah I think it would certainly become a factor.

They'll get their money anywhere, it's about "where would you like to play" for a lot of these guys that control their own destiny.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:33 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
I'd rather play somewhere where I felt appreciated. Just ask Tim Connolly how much the negativity weighed on him.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:35 AM
sabrefan27

Sorry, players go where the money is and where they have an opportunity to win. Bottom line. Players don't analyze the crowd and worry about their feelings getting hurt.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Endless Ike

Quote:

What message does it send to young players who make one mistake and booed off the ice for it?

What do we expect from a bunch of players who, until recently, had spend 90% of their career at junior levels?

A team that reached the Stanley Cup finals last year pinned a line full of AHL players in our own zone for a long time. What do we expect? Anyone who boos that should be ashamed of themselves.

I am not arguing the right to boo, I'm saying it's wrong to do so.
If that stretch of 5 minutes in the Devils game didn't deserve a booing, what did? It was atrocious. Even the announcers couldn't believe it.

I expect competency, not necessarily excellence. And to be honest, I don't really care about the psyche of players. Put on your big boy pants and rededicate yourself to your craft. I refuse to feel guilty or ashamed of making rich young athletes go home feeling bad about themselves when they've had a bad day.

When you perform at a historically low level for a prolonged period of time at your job, do you think your customers care about your psyche, or how hard it will be for your boss to find an adequate replacement? I go home feeling bad about myself when I have a bad day because I know I'm capable of better. They should too, its only normal. I know my clients would probably chew my GD ear off and hire someone else if I performed as poorly as they did during that stretch against the Devils.

No one is exempt from angry customers.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:37 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Fans that do not support their own team give the whole city a bad reputation.

If you were going for a job you knew you would be nothing but hated for, but you could have exactly the same job elsewhere and not be hated, which would you choose?

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:39 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Fans that do not support their own team give the whole city a bad reputation.

If you were going for a job you knew you would be nothing but hated for, but you could have exactly the same job elsewhere and not be hated, which would you choose?
If I were a professional athlete I'd go where I have the best chance to win and who was willing to pay me the most money. The crowd would be so far down the list it would be irrelevant.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Booing accomplishes nothing.....tho its a natural reaction when the team is playing like crap....

Save the booing for end of periods and end of game as the players are leaving the ice.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Booing accomplishes nothing.....tho its a natural reaction when the team is playing like crap....

Save the booing for end of periods and end of game as the players are leaving the ice.
The fact that they're still talking about it days later proves that it accomplishes exactly what it's meant to. It got their notice. It notifies them that the customers expect better than the putrid play they exhibited.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The fact that they're still talking about it days later proves that it accomplishes exactly what it's meant to. It got their notice. It notifies them that the customers expect better than the putrid play they exhibited.
They've been booed all year... it has accomplished zero.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
sabrefan27

Quote:
People boo because they aren't satisfied with the product and they want to let the team/management know their displeasure. Since they are whining about it to the media, it has accomplished their goal.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Moving the goal post on the definition of accomplishment. It hasn't improved on ice play, but that's no one's goal or expectation. It's an expression of discontent. And this article proves it has accomplished its goal. The players know and recognize their play has been crappy, and more importantly, know that WE know.

The sabres don't have customer feedback surveys for their on-ice play. This is the customer feedback.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
It's the whole point of this thread, no? Guy posted an article saying not to boo young players. My point (and others) is that fans have every right to boo. In the end, there's no debating that point, which you seem to agree with. Can it be annoying to some people? Sure, but there's a lot of things at sporting events that can be annoying. Ignore them or just don't go to the games.
No, the author is saying it is not a good idea to boo in that situation. I don't think your constitutional right to boo is being questioned by anyone, anywhere. So no, it is not the whole point of this thread.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:55 AM
French Connection

Quote:
Oh I am sure that some players have Philly on a very short list due to their insane fan base.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Moving the goal post on the definition of accomplishment. It hasn't improved on ice play, but that's no one's goal or expectation. It's an expression of discontent. And this article proves it has accomplished its goal. The players know and recognize their play has been crappy, and more importantly, know that WE know.

The sabres don't have customer feedback surveys for their on-ice play. This is the customer feedback.
lol...if you think the players have been content with their play or their standing then and that the booing is going to change anything then i don't know what to tell you.

If its a must then boo at end of period...or end of game... booing during game play is stupid in my opinion. If you're an unhappy customer then do what every other customer does...don't buy tickets or if you have them already...sell them.

Let me go to your job and act like a sniveling little brat and boo your work as you're trying to do your job.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:

Let me go to your job and act like a sniveling little brat and boo your work as you're trying to do your job.
Um, people don't pay money to come watch me perform my job.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Ace1963

We're not cheerleaders, we're paying customers, and their product stinks.

When the Buffalo Bills put forth a putrid effort at home vs. New Orleans in 1989, Jim Kelly left the field being pelted by snowballs. He was tough, unlike this team of Darcy Regier clones. Stop whining Sabres!

Ace1963 is offline   Reply With Quote