Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2013, 03:39 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
Is there any point in Sask participating in Westerns any more? It is clear we can't compete with the top teams in the other provinces so i don't see the point. Is there any benefit to it?

This isn't a call to change the Sask model to some sort of Bantam AAA system. I like how we have it set up right now especially with Stoon joining the SBAAHL next season.

Thoughts?
I sure hope Stoon joins but it sounds like some massive egos might prevent it.

Old
04-07-2013, 03:57 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
Any truth to the zone 6 sask first team playing the 99 husky team? And if they did how bad was the score?
I wasn't there but ended 5-5.

Old
04-07-2013, 07:42 PM
AlbertaHockey20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaHockey20 View Post
As I type this, West Central is leading the Winnipeg Hawks 2-0 with 20 minutes remaining for the bronze medal.

NE Wolfpack also beat PAC Spruce Grove AAA at the Westerns last year.

Regardless of the results I think it is a fantastic experience for the kids from Saskatchewan. Just because it is extremely unlikely that they will ever win does not mean that there is no point in competing.

"Winning isn't everything, the will to win is".

If they don't try I believe they are learning the right thing. Right now West Central has the will to win. I think Saskatchewan shows well on a regular basis in that regard.
Saskatchewan won bronze. Quite the giant killing. Congratulations West Central.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:30 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeCheck101 View Post
Moving on to westerns... My picks

1. SSAC - Benson is a presence. Good top 6 frwd depth. Skinner takes up a lot of net and arguably leagues top tender.
2. NSWC - Hannoun fun to watch. Supporting cast will have to bring "A" game.
3. Winnipeg - Goaltending tandem may keep them in some games, some physical D
4. West Central - their few stars will be in very tough and will be non factor if they get outside their team game.
5. Prairie Storm - Legion is worth keeping an eye on. May be a flip flop between 4th and 5th depending on outcome of head to head against each other.

... Anyone see any differently?

1. SSAC wins gold; 5-3 over NSWC. Fantastic game. Ultimately SSAC was quicker on the puck and quicker decision making. Quenville got the boot for a check from behind (could have been called boarding). SSAC: Skinner solid between pipes, Quenville fantastic, Benson hat trick, solid all round. NSWC Hannoun, Bellirive and Anholt all solid.

WC beat Winnipeg 2-1, without Pilon. Apparently an injury kept him away from the action.

PS was in tough the whole way. Congrats to SSAC. Really, really nice team game.

Old
04-08-2013, 12:34 AM
PokeCheck101

Western Elite Top 130 out

Okay, just throwin' it out there... Anyone want to start the discussion on the top rankings for 98's, 99's and 00's (SK specific)?

Old
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
nah68

Quote:
Okay, just throwin' it out there... Anyone want to start the discussion on the top rankings for 98's, 99's and 00's (SK specific)?
Just log on to western Elle he has the pulse on everything. I would like to hear what real people who are at the games have to say.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
PokeCheck101

Pulse is weak at best in some areas. I agree, folks who are at the rink, day in day out and not looking at stat sheet, any comments?

Old
04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
SaskRinkRat

I'm also interested to know if there has been any more discussion about the structure of bantam AA in the province for next year. Did SBAAHL end up rejecting Saskatoon?

Old
04-08-2013, 07:25 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRinkRat View Post
I'm also interested to know if there has been any more discussion about the structure of bantam AA in the province for next year. Did SBAAHL end up rejecting Saskatoon?
I think we've battled this thing to death....the annual meeting is still to be held, it is up to SMHA to come with there proposal, its then that the decision will be made. Probably discussing this with Smha is the best thing to do, it will answer the questions that you are looking for.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanJofaDaoust View Post
I wasn't there but ended 5-5.
Wonder if Elder and Ramsay played?

Old
04-09-2013, 12:26 AM
PokeCheck101

Why would SHA sanctioned bantam Sask First agree to play a spring hockey team consisting of kids collected from various zones one week before Sask First tourny? Was this approved by SHA? Coaches running risk of having some kids injured. Not very smart I'd say. 99's out there to prove themselves and 98's have already proven themselves. I wouldn't hold much stock in a 5-5 draw. Who's coaching that zone 6 team?

However, on that note... Predictions folks for the tourney?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
redtitan20

saskatoon in sbaahl

Quote:
I think we've battled this thing to death....the annual meeting is still to be held, it is up to SMHA to come with there proposal, its then that the decision will be made. Probably discussing this with Smha is the best thing to do, it will answer the questions that you are looking for.
SMHA made their proposal to SBAAHL back in February. http://gshlonline.ca/news.php?news_id=706169&lang=

GSHL wants to join with 4 teams. SBAAHL said no, but would consider 5 teams. GSHL said no to 5. Nothing has been finalized yet probably due to the massive ego stroking mentioned in other posts. Who gets the final say? SHA or SBAAHL?

Old
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
nah68

[QUOTE=redtitan20;63619715]SMHA made their proposal to SBAAHL back in February. http://gshlonline.ca/news.php?news_id=706169&lang=

GSHL wants to join with 4 teams. SBAAHL said no, but would consider 5 teams. GSHL said no to 5. Nothing has been finalized yet probably due to the massive ego stroking mentioned in other posts. Who gets the final say?
I believe the league rules on the matter, unless sbaahl is being totally ridiculous in there demands. I haven't seen that, but what I see and read on this forum is demands being made by Saskatoon. Gshl doesn't allow out of town teams the right to demand, why should this league allow it. I think that if you want into this league you may have to play by there rules.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Hockeynoitall

[QUOTE=nah68;63623637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redtitan20 View Post
SMHA made their proposal to SBAAHL back in February. http://gshlonline.ca/news.php?news_id=706169&lang=

GSHL wants to join with 4 teams. SBAAHL said no, but would consider 5 teams. GSHL said no to 5. Nothing has been finalized yet probably due to the massive ego stroking mentioned in other posts. Who gets the final say?
I believe the league rules on the matter, unless sbaahl is being totally ridiculous in there demands. I haven't seen that, but what I see and read on this forum is demands being made by Saskatoon. Gshl doesn't allow out of town teams the right to demand, why should this league allow it. I think that if you want into this league you may have to play by there rules.
I totally agree with you on this subject. If GSHL wants to join the league, then join it on SHAAHL rules. SBAAHL is not being out of line at all by requesting saskatoon to join with 5 teams. There should be no negotiating with this at all. If the league wants them to join with five teams, then deal with it and join. If you dont like it then continue on with how you are running your program.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
redtitan20

[QUOTE=Hockeynoitall;63628761]
Quote:

I totally agree with you on this subject. If GSHL wants to join the league, then join it on SHAAHL rules. SBAAHL is not being out of line at all by requesting saskatoon to join with 5 teams. There should be no negotiating with this at all. If the league wants them to join with five teams, then deal with it and join. If you dont like it then continue on with how you are running your program.
You are correct and while there could be many reasons for Saskatoons issues, I believe it all boils down to them only wanting to join if they can win. The first time around, parents voted overwhelmingly to not join, and not travel, gently pushed along to this decision by SMHA. This time around, by all accounts, parents were not consulted at all. The decision to try and join was made in secret by rich egos, for a few elite kids whom they feel a need to showcase around the province. SMHA was obviously scared a parental vote would again yield the same results. As well, they obviously feel 5 teams will not be competitive enough to win.

I don't care either way. I just find it amusing that hockey politics have never changed, and likely never will. It is too often an old boys club, controlled by the rich, and/or the parents of the elite. SMHA should cut its losses, put up and shut up. If SBAAHL says you can join with 5 teams, then join with 5 and see what happens. Re-evaluate on a yearly basis. Quit if you don't like it. See if your parents are truly on board with the decision being forced upon them. If enough parents of your skilled players want to travel, you will be fine. And quit using the excuse that 3 kids left because the league wasn't competitive. Those types of kids leave leagues all the time for many reasons. They are chasing a dream and make huge sacrifices along the way. SMHA/GSHL, put your egos aside and make decisions based on the wishes of your members, the kids.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
AlbertaHockey20

[QUOTE=redtitan20;63629965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynoitall View Post

You are correct and while there could be many reasons for Saskatoons issues, I believe it all boils down to them only wanting to join if they can win. The first time around, parents voted overwhelmingly to not join, and not travel, gently pushed along to this decision by SMHA. This time around, by all accounts, parents were not consulted at all. The decision to try and join was made in secret by rich egos, for a few elite kids whom they feel a need to showcase around the province. SMHA was obviously scared a parental vote would again yield the same results. As well, they obviously feel 5 teams will not be competitive enough to win.

I don't care either way. I just find it amusing that hockey politics have never changed, and likely never will. It is too often an old boys club, controlled by the rich, and/or the parents of the elite. SMHA should cut its losses, put up and shut up. If SBAAHL says you can join with 5 teams, then join with 5 and see what happens. Re-evaluate on a yearly basis. Quit if you don't like it. See if your parents are truly on board with the decision being forced upon them. If enough parents of your skilled players want to travel, you will be fine. And quit using the excuse that 3 kids left because the league wasn't competitive. Those types of kids leave leagues all the time for many reasons. They are chasing a dream and make huge sacrifices along the way. SMHA/GSHL, put your egos aside and make decisions based on the wishes of your members, the kids.
I agree with the last notion. Players chase the dream. Alberta was a hockey stronghold this year and still terrific players left for academies. Dillon Dube to Notre Dame, Kody McDonald and Tyson Jost to POE (although the POE boys were gone two years), Ralph Jarret to POE, Jaeger White to BWC, and three more to OHA. No one in Alberta is claiming the AMBHL is not competitive, not is the SBAAHL complaining that they are losing players to Notre Dame regularly.

From an Alberta perspective I admire the Saskatchewan system as it is effective and fair based on the population dynamics.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:55 PM
SaskRinkRat

The thing that continues to puzzle me about the SBAAHL decision, though, is why do they expect Saskatoon to be competitive with 5 teams if Regina had to go to 3 to be competitive?

Note the word "competitive", not dominant. I think it's fair to say that Regina's teams were nicely competitive this year, and something worth striving for with Saskatoon in the north.

Does anyone disagree with that?

Old
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
nah68

[QUOTE=SaskRinkRat;63635261]The thing that continues to puzzle me about the SBAAHL decision, though, is why do they expect Saskatoon to be competitive with 5 teams if Regina had to go to 3 to be competitive?

Straight numbers.....500 projected bantam kids for saskatoon, compared to 300 for Regina.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Icemaniac

Saskatoon and the SBAAHL

After months of reading the banter and speculation and many non factual statements, as a parent who has dug around for info, it is time to weigh in!

1. SMHA voted to make application to the SBAAHL to join the league with 4 teams. The number of 4 IS in compliance with SHA requirements.

2.SMHA represents all areas of the City of Saskatoon regarding minor hockey and all levels. The Zone Commisioners, who sit on SMHA, represent their families and players, and discussiion regarding Stoon joining the SBAAHL was amongst zone boards.

3. The question whether a given minor hockey league can determine the number of teams from a given location is likely false. Did Hockey Regina not go to the SHA seeking a concession to drop below the required number of tier one bantam teams? SBAAHL did not facilitate this reduction to three!!! SHA rules and regs regarding number of teams should superscede league wants.

4. With Saskatoon joining the SBAAHL with 4 teams as per SHA guidelines, wouldnt the level of hockey be enhanced? The league play has been enhanced with Regina dropping to three teams, has it not?

5. Would the significantly reduced travel and cost associated with Saskatoon being in the SBAAHL not be huge attraction for teams in the North Division?

6.The figures quoted regarding bantam players presently registered are inaccurate. There is a division in Saskatoon called non-contact which Regina does not have! That division increases the enrolment in Stoon and apples are not being compared to apples. Take the non-contact out and numbers are very comparable between the two centers. Regardless, as enrollment in all jurisdictions change, SHA guidelines should be applied and the number of teams in bantam 1 increased or decreased

7. Do we in Saskatchewan want to keep trying to raise the bar regarding the calibre of hockey played? Think about it.....................there was a reason SHA changed the boundaries a few yrs ago and Meadow Lake, Tisdale and one from the South contracted. This change will continue in our province simply based on changing demographics and participation levels!

I truly hope common sense does prevail and we truly have a provincial bantam league that includes Saskatoon as per SHA regs.

Thank you

Old
04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
nah68

To ice maniac
You need to place a call to sha.....you may be suprised what they tell you!
To your first point, ya 4 is sha approved as a minimum, its also up to 6!
To point 3, although they neede to apply to sha to reduce to 3, they still needed to be approved and voted on by the league....fact.
To point 5, if your interested in reducing other teams travel...thanks, goto 5 teams then, that means still 1 more trip less down south.
To point 6, these figures were given to me by smaha, highly doubt that you have 200 non contact players in bantam.
And I do agree I hope common sense does prevail, as per SHA regs with either 4,5, or 6 teams. Once again fact.

Last edited by nah68: 04-10-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: adding
Old
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
PokeCheck101

Folks, this is a broken record topic already. Is there anyone who would like to discuss actual hockey instead of the bureaucracy of hockey? I don't care if Saskatoon comes in with 1,2,3,4,5....... Let them in for the sake of a province wide showcase.

Now, this business of kids leaving for other programs..... The ND, POE, OHA good for them. Their parents have extremely deep wallets. They'll be exposed to a fantastic opportunity and exceptional instruction. However, don't think for a second your son is doomed if you can't afford it. I also want to remind everyone that there are several kids who play there that do not go on to play. So at the end of the day is it money well spent? Well that's debatable. Plenty of SK boys get noticed right on their own AA teams. Scouts out there, get out there and give all these great teams in the SBAAHL a good look.

Can we now move on please. Thoughts on the upcoming Sask First tourney?

Last edited by PokeCheck101: 04-10-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old
04-10-2013, 12:17 AM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Why would SHA sanctioned bantam Sask First agree to play a spring hockey team consisting of kids collected from various zones one week before Sask First tourny? Was this approved by SHA? Coaches running risk of having some kids injured. Not very smart I'd say. 99's out there to prove themselves and 98's have already proven themselves. I wouldn't hold much stock in a 5-5 draw. Who's coaching that zone 6 team?
..... I guess they must be just coaching themselves then?

Old
04-10-2013, 08:49 AM
TitanJofaDaoust

----

Last edited by TitanJofaDaoust: 04-10-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: --
Old
04-10-2013, 09:08 AM
lefthook

Numbers that your throwing out mean nothing , 100 kids at camp ? thats big numbers for a bantam camp. It comes down to and always will , Saskatoon wants to win and doesnt think they can with 5 teams - I believe that Regina should have had 4 as well not 3 but they stepped up to the plate first and got what they wanted . If Saskatoon would have came in when this thing started they might have had a chance with the 4 teams ?

Old
04-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Icemaniac

Saskatoon and the SBAAHL

SMHA wants to join the league on the same terms as Regina................with the minimum number of teams allowed by SHA rules. Regina started with 4 now have three. Saskatoon would like to join the league as per the SMHA regs as well with four .......perhaps end up with or 5 or whatever down the road! Who knows!! Why should Saskatoon be forced to join with a greater number of teams than any other location........with Regina being the obvious comparable? Saskatoon minor hockey is not the big bad wolf.......nobody's house is going to get blown down!!!

My point being, Saskatoon is not being unrerasonable at all and only wants to be treated fairly.

As far as "Saskatoon only wanting to win".............PLEASE!!
Do you know how GSHL teams fared in the three tournaments it participated in this past year? You ought to before you make statements that Saskatoon wants to rule the bantam hockey world!! Check the SC, Regina and PA tournament results.......I did!

Lets talk about that.......SC, Regina and Pa tournaments where they faced teams from the SBAAHL and other teams from AB and MAN. Try a winning percentage of less than .200. With 5 teams and 17 fewer players, we can surmise Saskatoon would still be below .500 which still remains less than competitive. At 4 teams, an opportunity to be competitve and reach .500 in league and tournament play would be achieveable............thus Saskatoon would be COMPETITIVE, which should be everyones goal...........Not WIN WIN WIN!!!!!

I mean no disrespect Lefthook, however take the emotion and bad feelings for Saskatoon out of the debate! What happened 3 yrs ago is history..........lets look at the facts and move forward for the better of SK Bantam hockey without an axe to grind

Closed Thread