HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 09:38 AM
19 in a row

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Sorry, the point is that if someone refuses to follow a team because they've moved 30 miles *not having a choice*, they're a fraud. It would be insulting and condescending to Long Islanders to let them off the hook for being frauds when they're being frauds.
That is one opinion. However, the way I see it, if someone has followed for 40 years and the team changes culture, and breaks their heart, I would argue it is the casual fan(which was how i read your fraud comment) that doesn't care if they change culture and leave their home. I do not believe that anyone has the right to tell someone who they can and can't root for. I am frustrated but will always be an Islander fan, I will go to games there but can not realistically go to more than a handful. I am disappointed and noone has the right to tell me that it is wrong for me to feel that way or that I didn't do enough to keep them here as a fan(any fan who stuck with them through these years of garbage in my opinion is the precise definition of a true fan), but I do take exception to those who judge others who were so compassionate about a team that turns their back on them in their opinion that they will have a hard time maintaining that loyatly. I fully get this as I fully get why many are ecstatic about the move and respect that. The Islander ownership and the politicians alienated this fanbase and made the team irrelevant to most, long before any referendum.. but those who stuck by this team are true fans and have the right to do what they choose...phonies? fakes? not the word i would use to describe anyone that has spent most of their lives rooting and now decides to walk away after this final straw..

Quote:
Should I say that Long Islanders are such spoiled babies it makes sense that when they can't get their own way they'll spite themselves and everyone else? That sorta fits a stereotype, doesn't it? I don't believe that. We just have some frauds, like everywhere else.

I can understand that some people are going to have their enjoyment of the team reduced or tempered, that they will go to fewer games, etc. because of the move. But drop the team? Frauds.
Emotions and frustrations are running high and boiling over, many who say that will still follow after all is said and done, the feelings are natural. I don't blame anyone for their reactions and don't think resorting to name calling or insults is warranted. If i wanted to play that game i would say that the based on history brooklyn fans should be tolerant and try to understand what people are going through. One of the first things I ever learned in sports was you can tell more about a person by how they win. than how they lose. I never took enjoyment out of sticking it to my opponents after a win. Why can't people enjoy what they perceive as a good move without attacking others who are bummed out by it? (I equally disagree with anyone who openly attacks someone who is happy with the move)..

the move is going to happen, seems in 2014 or 2015...no reason to hate on each other, save it for the Rags.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Sorry, the point is that if someone refuses to follow a team because they've moved 30 miles *not having a choice*, they're a fraud. It would be insulting and condescending to Long Islanders to let them off the hook for being frauds when they're being frauds.

Should I say that Long Islanders are such spoiled babies it makes sense that when they can't get their own way they'll spite themselves and everyone else? That sorta fits a stereotype, doesn't it? I don't believe that. We just have some frauds, like everywhere else.

I can understand that some people are going to have their enjoyment of the team reduced or tempered, that they will go to fewer games, etc. because of the move. But drop the team? Frauds.
This, this and THIS.

Look, I can understand that being a fan of this team might not be as convenient as it is now to some once they move. I mean, even living in Brooklyn, I'm not likely to enjoy the benefit of going to any more games than I do now as the ticket prices will be higher and will probably not be as easy to come buy either. In fact, I might even be going less. But I just can't fathom this spoiled child mentality of abandoning a team because they've moved 20 miles away from where they play now. Like Dan-o stated, "frauds."

But of course, people are entitled to do and feel as they like. So be it. But, once again, I choose not to suffer fools who continually ***** about the "relocation" of the team. It's happened, deal with it. Most of us are ecstatic that our team is staying, even if it means less games attended or in the very least, a longer commute to and from games. So once again, save your tears for someone who has the time and patience to rationalize your childish complaints. Most of us here are busy moving towards the light at the end of a long, dark 20 year tunnel.

Hell, maybe there should be a "group hug" thread for those mourning the "loss" of the team? In the very least, it'll keep the board civil and make the job of the mods easier. I assure you I won't set foot in it.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post

I strongly disagree this is the fault of the people of long island

LI people elected the politicians, overwhelmingly voted no on the referendum and have a history of questionable support via poor attendance. How is it not the fault of LI people?

Old
04-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
That is one opinion. However, the way I see it, if someone has followed for 40 years and the team changes culture, and breaks their heart, I would argue it is the casual fan(which was how i read your fraud comment) that doesn't care if they change culture and leave their home.
Y'all be trippin'. Just because NYI are moving to Brooklyn doesn't mean the press releases will be written in Ebonics, only hip-hop or non-sellout indie bands played on the PA, and a game announcer who speaks in a way that is impossible to tell whether he/she is being sincere or sarcastic.

What change in culture? Just some overblown jokes about hipsters? Fewer SUV's in the parking lots? Movember all year long? Seriously, what culture change?

Quote:
I am disappointed and noone has the right to tell me that it is wrong for me to feel that way or that I didn't do enough to keep them here as a fan(any fan who stuck with them through these years of garbage in my opinion is the precise definition of a true fan), but I do take exception to those who judge others who were so compassionate about a team that turns their back on them in their opinion that they will have a hard time maintaining that loyatly.
How in the world could someone live through the Mad Mike years, and all the nonsense, and not deal with a team on the upswing that is moving 30 miles? I've got all the right to say it makes no sense.

Quote:
but those who stuck by this team are true fans and have the right to do what they choose...phonies? fakes? not the word i would use to describe anyone that has spent most of their lives rooting and now decides to walk away after this final straw..
You fought for a dying team in a dying municipality because, what? Because it was your dying team in your politically inept little municipality? Weird reason to like a team, I guess, because it pretty much ensures they'll suck forever. Okay, maybe not a fraud. Words like 'codependent' and 'borderline' come to mind...

Quote:
I never took enjoyment out of sticking it to my opponents after a win. Why can't people enjoy what they perceive as a good move without attacking others who are bummed out by it? (I equally disagree with anyone who openly attacks someone who is happy with the move)..
Win? As a Brooklyn guy, I would've preferred a Queens move as I've said many times, followed by a new arena in Nassau. It would have made more sense. The only win I'm celebrating is the team staying in the area.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:59 AM
stranger34

Quote:
That is one opinion. However, the way I see it, if someone has followed for 40 years and the team changes culture, and breaks their heart, I would argue it is the casual fan(which was how i read your fraud comment) that doesn't care if they change culture and leave their home. I do not believe that anyone has the right to tell someone who they can and can't root for. I am frustrated but will always be an Islander fan, I will go to games there but can not realistically go to more than a handful. I am disappointed and noone has the right to tell me that it is wrong for me to feel that way or that I didn't do enough to keep them here as a fan(any fan who stuck with them through these years of garbage in my opinion is the precise definition of a true fan), but I do take exception to those who judge others who were so compassionate about a team that turns their back on them in their opinion that they will have a hard time maintaining that loyatly. I fully get this as I fully get why many are ecstatic about the move and respect that. The Islander ownership and the politicians alienated this fanbase and made the team irrelevant to most, long before any referendum.. but those who stuck by this team are true fans and have the right to do what they choose...phonies? fakes? not the word i would use to describe anyone that has spent most of their lives rooting and now decides to walk away after this final straw..

Emotions and frustrations are running high and boiling over, many who say that will still follow after all is said and done, the feelings are natural. I don't blame anyone for their reactions and don't think resorting to name calling or insults is warranted. If i wanted to play that game i would say that the based on history brooklyn fans should be tolerant and try to understand what people are going through. One of the first things I ever learned in sports was you can tell more about a person by how they win. than how they lose. I never took enjoyment out of sticking it to my opponents after a win. Why can't people enjoy what they perceive as a good move without attacking others who are bummed out by it? (I equally disagree with anyone who openly attacks someone who is happy with the move)..

the move is going to happen, seems in 2014 or 2015...no reason to hate on each other, save it for the Rags.
Very good point about it arguably being a move that caters more towards the casual fan. I'd guess a much higher percentage of the casual fanbase views this move positively than the diehards.

What are the positives of a move to Brooklyn for the average fan? I suppose you could say they aren't moving to Quebec or Kansas City... how exciting.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:04 AM
stranger34

The LIRR to Brooklyn is roughly the same duration as the LIRR to Penn. I associate it with commuting to work.

If this team moved to Manhattan would everyone be excited? Would Green Bay pachers fans be excited if they moved to a city or would they long for Lambeau Field?

NVMC is my Lambeau Field. The county owns it. It's ours... something that was lost on way too many people when the referendum was being voted on.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
NVMC is my Lambeau Field. The county owns it. It's ours... something that was lost on way too many people when the referendum was being voted on.
Very poor example. I know lots of peeps from Wisconsin. Many Packer fans travel long distances every single home game to go to Lambeau. In the Wisconsin winter. The LIRR is a friggin' picnic.

It's absolutely ridiculous to compare the Packers, and their recent history, to the Islanders. The dynasty days are 30 years gone.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:11 AM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
Quote:
Very good point about it arguably being a move that caters more towards the casual fan. I'd guess a much higher percentage of the casual fanbase views this move positively than the diehards.

What are the positives of a move to Brooklyn for the average fan? I suppose you could say they aren't moving to Quebec or Kansas City... how exciting.
Because not every fan has a car? It's great that NVMC is so accessible for us, but a lot of the attendance issues also surely have to do with the fact that there's no easy way to get to the stadium by public transportation. When I was in high school, it was painless and cheap to hop on the train to go to Shea and sit in the nosebleeds. That doesn't work as well for NVMC.

It really depends on who you think the "average fan" is. I like the idea of a large portion of the fanbase being the next generation of diehard fans. It's hard to do with a stadium in the suburbs.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:

I put myself in the category of diehard and I am 100% for the move.

I understand the nostalgia and all that. I get it. My best childhood memories were going to games with my father back in the early 90's. Those memories made me a fan of not only the Islanders but the game of hockey for life.

But... it's time to move on. The great memories at the Coliseum have been few and far between the past two decades. The Coliseum, Charles Wang, the complete ineptitude of the politicians in Nassau County, horrendous fan support (although justified), etc. have all become synonymous with Islanders hockey over the past 20 years. It's time for a change.

The way I look at it... the team is still called the New York Islanders and not the Quebec Nordiques 2.0. They still play (technically) on Long Island. They weren't going to play in the Coliseum forever. Wang tried for 10 years to get something done and finally ran out of patience. Would a new arena in the current Coliseum parking lot be ideal? Sure. But this is the next best thing and it is a million times better than the alternative.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:28 AM
stranger34

Quote:
Very poor example. I know lots of peeps from Wisconsin. Many Packer fans travel long distances every single home game to go to Lambeau. In the Wisconsin winter. The LIRR is a friggin' picnic.

It's absolutely ridiculous to compare the Packers, and their recent history, to the Islanders. The dynasty days are 30 years gone.
I would travel long distances for NVMC. You missed the point.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:32 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I would travel long distances for NVMC. You missed the point.
So the whole LIRR thing you complained about was actually irrelevant?

You just reduced your position to, "Waaaaaaaaa!"

PS I consider myself die-hard, but I've been to 1 game live since I had kids. I just can't afford it, and with 2 parents working, I don't have the time. If being able to go to lots of games is the litmus test for die-hards, this whole thing turns into a conflict over age and class pretty quickly. This is what I think it's really about - a bunch of older wealthy LI'ers who can afford season tickets and come from the era of white flight not coming to grips with the fact that their lifestyle is moving to florida and going away forever.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 50
@NYIslanders: BREAKING NEWS - #Isles to play first #NHL game at @BarclaysCenter in preseason game on Sept. 21, 2013 v. #NJDevils. http://t.co/4S94NmHgsw

Old
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
@NYIslanders: BREAKING NEWS - #Isles to play first #NHL game at @BarclaysCenter in preseason game on Sept. 21, 2013 v. #NJDevils. http://t.co/4S94NmHgsw
****. MY. LIFE!!!!!!!!!!

Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
boredmale

One thing I don't get about Barclays, is you think when they built the arena they would have envisioned the chances of the Islanders moving or even at least hosting some hockey games(say like NCAA tournament) down the road and would have made capacity for hockey more then 14,500

Old
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:

If this team moved to Manhattan would everyone be excited? Would Green Bay pachers fans be excited if they moved to a city or would they long for Lambeau Field?

NVMC is my Lambeau Field. The county owns it. It's ours...

I would travel long distances for NVMC
But wouldn't travel a short distance to watch NYI...in Brooklyn? That's not diehard. That's only LIhard. For something that hasn't worked in a long time or likely in the future. The county and TOH F'd up NVMC. I'm a diehard since the inception, moving to Brooklyn is the best thing to happen since the last cup. To you I'm "casual". LOL

Did Caps fans whine like this when they moved from the suburbs to the city? (A move that's been great for them.)

Ya just know most of these people saying they won't go to Brooklyn will be there as soon as NYI play meaningful games. They're just blowing off steam.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:20 AM
stranger34

Quote:
So the whole LIRR thing you complained about was actually irrelevant?

You just reduced your position to, "Waaaaaaaaa!"

PS I consider myself die-hard, but I've been to 1 game live since I had kids. I just can't afford it, and with 2 parents working, I don't have the time. If being able to go to lots of games is the litmus test for die-hards, this whole thing turns into a conflict over age and class pretty quickly. This is what I think it's really about - a bunch of older wealthy LI'ers who can afford season tickets and come from the era of white flight not coming to grips with the fact that their lifestyle is moving to florida and going away forever.
Well no... I would never have to take the ******* LIRR to the coliseum. It's a moot point.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:24 AM
stranger34

I think I consider this team a community team. Most here appear to view them as most would a professional sports franchise.

Take away the community element and you take away a big piece of the puzzle for me.

Notice I am not attacking any one for sticking with them to Brooklyn. To each his own.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:46 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Is it all that unusual to have to travel a distance to attend a pro sports game? I have to travel 25 miles to go to a Flyers game. Flyers' fans travel from all over southeastern PA and south Jersey to go to games.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
One thing I don't get about Barclays, is you think when they built the arena they would have envisioned the chances of the Islanders moving or even at least hosting some hockey games(say like NCAA tournament) down the road and would have made capacity for hockey more then 14,500
I've read that Ratner's group ran into money trouble and changed the building design.

From what Wang and Ratner have said,they are friends. Each was expecting to get his big development project built and telling the other, that it'd be great if the other guy came to their arena.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:53 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

I made the trek to the barclays last month for a Nets game to check it out. Lordy, is the place beautiful. The travel wasnt bad. About an hour with a transfer at Jamaica. Gotta remember to not drink as much next time because we missed our transfer at jamaica on the way home. But, there was very good news. We found airtran upstairs at the jamaica station and we had more beers!!! I hate that they are leaving NVMC because it is in our backyard and it has been their home since 72, but this move can only be a positive IMO. Let's go Islanders!!!!!

Old
04-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
I think I consider this team a community team. Most here appear to view them as most would a professional sports franchise.

Take away the community element and you take away a big piece of the puzzle for me.

Notice I am not attacking any one for sticking with them to Brooklyn. To each his own.
So the community just got bigger, the more the merrier, what's the problem? It's not good enough for you? You're not grateful to still be able to attend games not in Quebec? I supported YOUR community for 40 years traveling 40 miles to do so but you don't want to return the favor....to still be able to see games live?

Your specific "community" led to the franchise's downfall and detriment. Yet you wanted that to continue?

Who are you kidding, you'll be at games in Brooklyn. See you there.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
So the community just got bigger, the more the merrier, what's the problem? It's not good enough for you? You're not grateful to still be able to attend games not in Quebec? I supported YOUR community for 40 years traveling 40 miles to do so but you don't want to return the favor....to still be able to see games live?

Your specific "community" led to the franchise's downfall and detriment. Yet you wanted that to continue?

Who are you kidding, you'll be at games in Brooklyn. See you there.
Bert, when I see you there first I will punch you for the arguments we have on here. Then, I will buy you a beer and a shot of Jameson!!!! ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Its fun again to be an isles fan and its only going to get better. (I hope)

Old
04-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:

Fine. I root for a hockey club, not a country club.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Fine. I root for a hockey club, not a country club.
Some say the isles are a country club!

Old
04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

Quote:

i know you arent attacking, and therefore i feel bad doing this but i cant help it.....

go check out the local high school ice hockey team....THIS IS A PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY TEAM!

Closed Thread