HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Flyers Acquire Steve Mason; have re-signed him to a 1-yr ($1.5m ext.), Apr. 8

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

vCash: 500
People who say they've seen flashes of the "real" Bryz in March of last year, is BS.

The defense was playing outstanding, keeping pretty much EVERYTHING to the outside, a buncha of easy saves. They also blocked a ton of shots during the span if I remeber correctly. Although Bryz played well, he was in no way was "standing on his head" the whole team was playing solid hockey, defensively. A guess that kinda proves Bryz being a "system goalie"

If it was the "real" Bryz we should have seen it more than a 1/10 months he's been here.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
NOT MY PRESIDENT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Based on your and Beef's logic, wouldn't it be the exact opposite? The players having no confidence in Bryzgalov stopping even routine shots would be going even faster to block everything. Everyone would be engaged in defense. Players expecting a save to be made would look nonchalant because they are preparing to switch from defense to offense.
I think the Flyers are in the top 5 in blocked shots and they are also tops in the league in minor penalties. top 5 in fewest SOG allowed(give or take a spot or 2)
Now the only concerning thing there is the penalties taken. Nothing wrong with the other 2 things.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
People who say they've seen flashes of the "real" Bryz in March of last year, is BS.

The defense was playing outstanding, keeping pretty much EVERYTHING to the outside, a buncha of easy saves. They also blocked a ton of shots during the span if I remeber correctly. Although Bryz played well, he was in no way was "standing on his head" the whole team was playing solid hockey, defensively. A guess that kinda proves Bryz being a "system goalie"

If it was the "real" Bryz we should have seen it more than a 1/10 months he's been here.
I agree the team was firing on all cylinders, but why should team play and goalie play always be independent of each other? I agree Bryz thrives more in a defensively oriented system, but it's weird that I see him get knocked when he plays well and the defense plays well.

04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think the Flyers are in the top 5 in blocked shots and they are also tops in the league in minor penalties. top 5 in fewest SOG allowed(give or take a spot or 2)
Now the only concerning thing there is the penalties taken. Nothing wrong with the other 2 things.
Exactly why I think this rumour about not giving 100% for Bryzgalov is BS.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I think it's total BS too. I find it hard to believe that guys would be that petty.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:36 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
I think the fact they've fought back in games recently proves they care. Weather they like/trust Bryz or not. If they have up they don't win against Montreal. As much as I would have throw my stick at him on that one goal I'd still fight to win. I don't think we will see them jump in a scrum if another team does something to him, if they don't like him, but they do want to win. I have no question about that.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
NOT MY PRESIDENT

Quote:
Then why is there an argument against goaltending not being a problem. or Bryzgalov being one of the main problems?
As far as the rumor goes, I would look for the body language of the players on the ice after a bad goal. At some point it does affect the players mentality if its happening over and over again.
If you are a player on a team and you know that you need to score 4 every night to win that has to wear on you after awhile.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Hexastate

Quote:
Then why is there an argument against goaltending not being a problem. or Bryzgalov being one of the main problems?
As far as the rumor goes, I would look for the body language of the players on the ice after a bad goal. At some point it does affect the players mentality if its happening over and over again.
If you are a player on a team and you know that you need to score 4 every night to win that has to wear on you after awhile.
Does anybody else remember Meszaros after Calgary scored a weak goal against us last year?

Has anyone seen that type of body language from the team this year?

Old
04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
I'm not sure we're debating exactly the same issue. I'm not at all saying goaltending isn't a problem; I'm focusing on the rumor that the players are slacking because they have given up on Bryzgalov. Your original post on which I commented seemed contradictory: if they weren't confident he would stop a shot, they would arguably do more, not less.

To your point above, the converse at the beginning of the season could be argued: if you are constantly, game in and game out, being left out to dry as a goaltender – breakaways, 2-on-1s, 3-on-1s, men left wide open in the slot to bang at rebounds, defensemen not picking up trailers who pot rebounds after a big save – do you start showing your frustration?

At this professional level, neither should happen.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

The Tocchet interview thing was brought up in the goalie thread a couple of days ago. Nobody said they actually listened to it then. I asked this same question then and got no answer:

Was Tochett speaking of his personal experience with Bryz when he was coaching in Phoenix or was he saying he heard rumblings from the Flyers locker room?

Old
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
you know some people around here .. it's a much sexier story to invent that our goalie was "leaky"

and, the goalie is the convenient scapegoat around here.

23rd year in a row.
Seriously, that is such a laughable argument. For 23 years, goaltending on this team has largely been underwhelming.

04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
MsMeow

Quote:
I haven't been online much but wanted to address this again. Tocchet was talking on the Macko and Cauz show and they have podcasts but for whatever reason, the hyperlink didn't work. People are saying that it's a rumour and I'm not sure if it's because they didn't hear it themselves or don't want to believe it but I am guessing Tocchet knows more about what's goin on in the dressing room than us. When I heard him say it I was in the car and pulled over to post on Facebook to see if any of my friends heard it and one confirmed that she did. Tocchet acted like he didn't want to say anything but he did.

The one thing I've noticed with Bryz is his body language after a goal is often directed at someone else. You watch most goalies and they're mad but their body language indicates they are mad at themselves.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I hope I am left with the urge to get a Mason jersey by the end of tonight's game

Old
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I hope I am left with the urge to get a Mason jersey by the end of tonight's game
I would not invest in a Mason jersey as long as Bryz is still on the roster.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:08 PM
orange is better
Lattelepjandi lopatr

Any news on masons flyers gear?

Old
04-09-2013, 03:11 PM
kicksave27

If mason ends up playing on an equal level with Bryz, then you keep Mason. Same average goaltending for less than half the cost. Given masons age, he may rebound to his Calder year.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Brayden Pattison

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The one thing I've noticed with Bryz is his body language after a goal is often directed at someone else. You watch most goalies and they're mad but their body language indicates they are mad at themselves.
I've noticed that too, and he tends to start letting in softies for the rest of the game after a defenseman blows a coverage.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

This "true" Bryz argument is the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:29 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
If mason ends up playing on an equal level with Bryz, then you keep Mason. Same average goaltending for less than half the cost. Given masons age, he may rebound to his Calder year.
this

Old
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/..._in_skirts.jpg

Old
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Brayden Pattison

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
No true Scotsman would duck under a puck or give up a goal from the top of the circle on a weak slapper.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would not invest in a Mason jersey as long as Bryz is still on the roster.
I would not invest in a a Mason jersey.

Unless you're a jersey collector, that is. If you're just buying casually...eh. He's got a bit to prove if he wants to play here for longer than next year.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:40 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I'm not a big jersey guy but if I was buying a Flyers jersey (knowing how expensive they are). I wouldn't get any goalie's jersey regardless of his playing time.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
FlyingPhilly
Flyers Win 201x Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Does anybody else remember Meszaros after Calgary scored a weak goal against us last year?

Has anyone seen that type of body language from the team this year?
I remember that. People got on Mez for rolling his eyes like that. Not sure if there are obvious signs like that this time, but I haven't really been looking for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad St Cyberbully View Post
No true Scotsman would duck under a puck or give up a goal from the top of the circle on a weak slapper.
Bryz has given up a weak slapper quite a few times. Somehow he gets absolved of the blame for those by some people here. I really don't understand it.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.

My Mason jersey won a minor championship and was very heralded. Since then.... moth eaten.

Closed Thread