HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

BOS signs Carl Soderberg 3 Years $866,666 Cap Hit - Approved to play for Boston

Old
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

vCash: 500
Thanks Papa Campbell

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
It would be that he's an older player then, other than that not really.

The player is always in between in this, you have the NHL club in one corner telling their prospect to go play for them and in the other corner you have Team Sweden saying we want you on our team. The rights are on Team Sweden's side, but at the same time the NHL club is the player's employer. For the time being it's handled case by case.
I believe that the other (primary) difference is that both of the other players were only being brought over to play in the AHL for a cameo. If Soderberg has signed a 3 year deal, he would be coming to play for Boston, which would be a little different from suiting up for the CT Whale or GR Griffins for a few games.

The other question is, are Fasth and Jarnkrok still under contract with their SEL teams? If the answer is yes, than the Swedish hockey federation may have only granted temporary permission on that basis?

The plan is supposedly to sign Soderberg and then to buy him out of his contract with Linkopings (or get them to agree to release him). If that happens, according to the transfer agreement in place, the Swedish hockey federation would have no legal grounds for preventing him to come over.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:57 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
That's some great depth to add to an already deep roster. Adding Jaromir Jagr and Carl Soderberg to your top 9 is nothing to scoff at.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Breakdown:

- Soderberg is eligible to play in the NHL this season because the Bruins held his rights as of the most recent draft.
- The new CBA allows teams to sign players they have rights to mid-season [e.g. ROR] without going through the Euro entry-waivers [e.g. Nabokov]
- As Soderberg is age 25+ he is not in the entry level system and thus not subject to the rookie limits on the # of years and max salary he can sign for.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Breakdown:

- Soderberg is eligible to play in the NHL this season because the Bruins held his rights as of the most recent draft.
- The new CBA allows teams to sign players they have rights to mid-season [e.g. ROR] without going through the Euro entry-waivers [e.g. Nabokov]
- As Soderberg is age 25+ he is not in the entry level system and thus not subject to the rookie limits on the # of years and max salary he can sign for.
IIRC this is similar to what happened with Nashville and Alexander Radulov.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark4Ever View Post
Veterans of the Swedish Elite League that have moved to the NHL later in their careers have typically had a difficult time translating their success to the NHL.

It will be interesting to see if Soderberg can make an impact this season.
I'm not sure who you are referring to because off the top of my head the only guys that I remember that came over when they were 26/27 or older have been Franzen and V Fasth.

I would be pretty happy if Soderberg gave the Bruins similar production Franzen in Detroit.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklyNBruiN View Post
You don't want him too come play in America, right?
I'd like to see him play, let the player decide what he wants and go with it. I also want Jarnkrok to stay in North America and play in the AHL playoffs though, but he wasn't granted permission to stay longer. That's why I'm interested in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
I believe that the other (primary) difference is that both of the other players were only being brought over to play in the AHL for a cameo. If Soderberg has signed a 3 year deal, he would be coming to play for Boston in the AHL, which would be a little different from suiting up for the CT Whale or GR Griffins for a few games.

The other question is, are Fasth and Jarnkrok still under contract with their SEL teams? If the answer is yes, than the Swedish hockey federation may have only granted temporary permission on that basis?

The plan is supposedly to sign Soderberg and then to buy him out of his contract with Linkopings (or get them to agree to release him). If that happens, according to the transfer agreement in place, the Swedish hockey federation would have no legal grounds for preventing him to come over.
Detroit were actually told they couldn't use Jarnkrok in the NHL, I'm not sure if they wanted him there anyway though. The SIHF made the deal via Bill Daly, not with the actual clubs. Both of them were signed to NHL contracts last summer and neither has a SEL contracts next season, so they're NA bound no matter what.

If Soderberg's SEL contract has an NHL out clause he doesn't even need to be bought out. NHL contract > SEL contract so you're right about that. They might need to buy out his last months of this season though.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:09 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
IIRC this is similar to what happened with Nashville and Alexander Radulov.
Nah, Radulov was already under contract and AWOL (his rookie ELC contract to boot). The league decided the Euro waiver rule didn't apply to Radulov as he was under contract already and playing in the KHL without the Preds permission. Understandable--the league would like to encourage those AWOL players to return to the NHL.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
VanIsle
Bruins in 2015

The Swedish Unicorn has finally made his way across the pond, it is truly a miracle.

VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Nah, Radulov was already under contract and AWOL (his rookie ELC contract to boot). The league decided the Euro waiver rule didn't apply to Radulov as he was under contract already and playing in the KHL without the Preds permission. Understandable--the league would like to encourage those AWOL players to return to the NHL.
Thanks for the clarification.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:19 PM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
I'd like to see him play, let the player decide what he wants and go with it. I also want Jarnkrok to stay in North America and play in the AHL playoffs though, but he wasn't granted permission to stay longer. That's why I'm interested in this case.

Detroit were actually told they couldn't use Jarnkrok in the NHL, I'm not sure if they wanted him there anyway though. The SIHF made the deal via Bill Daly, not with the actual clubs. Both of them were signed to NHL contracts last summer and neither has a SEL contracts next season, so they're NA bound no matter what.

If Soderberg's SEL contract has an NHL out clause he doesn't even need to be bought out. NHL contract > SEL contract so you're right about that. They might need to buy out his last months of this season though.
Thanks for the info on the other two players statuses.

As far as I know, Soderberg did not have an out clause in his contract, but Linkoping said they would not stand in his way if he wanted to go to the NHL at the time he signed the extension with them.

However, not standing in his way, and wanting a financial incentive from Boston to not stand in the way are two different things We have been hearing that the B's are negotiating an agreement with Linkopings and if they signed Soderberg to a 3 yr deal, it's likely a buyout of some sort.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
joe89

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the other two players statuses.

As far as I know, Soderberg did not have an out clause in his contract, but Linkoping said they would not stand in his way if he wanted to go to the NHL at the time he signed the extension with them.

However, not standing in his way, and wanting a financial incentive from Boston to not stand in the way are two different things We have been hearing that the B's are negotiating an agreement with Linkopings and if they signed Soderberg to a 3 yr deal, it's likely a buyout of some sort.
Yeah, okay, makes sense then. He's a little older and was drafted under a different rulebook. Newly drafted guys have NHL clauses and there's a set compensation involved, but he doesn't fall into that category so it's a little more complicated I guess.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Breakdown:

How do they own his rights, given that it's way after his draft and he never signed a NHL contract prior to this? Is there some obscure rule related to the fact he was drafted before the 04-05 lockout?

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:28 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
How do they own his rights, given that it's way after his draft and he never signed a NHL contract prior to this? Is there some obscure rule related to the fact he was drafted before the 04-05 lockout?
Yep, you can retain the rights to older Europeans almost in eternity.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
sirmaxalot

Who is he going to room with? Per Johan is gone...

sirmaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
gerhart

Send a message via MSN to gerhart
Quote:
Yep, you can retain the rights to older Europeans almost in eternity.
However, retaining the rights to old Europeans counts against the number of players you can have signed to your organization... Correct? I remember having a difficult issue with this in NHL EHM 2007.

gerhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickM32 View Post
Lucic - Krejci - Jagr
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Soderberg - Kelly - Horton
Paille - Campbell - Peverley
i don't care how good soderberg turns out to be, peverley on the 4th line is just ludicrous depth.

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:40 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
He signed an ELC with St. Louis back in 2006, and then bolted for Sweden when he was sent to the AHL.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhart View Post
However, retaining the rights to old Europeans counts against the number of players you can have signed to your organization... Correct? I remember having a difficult issue with this in NHL EHM 2007.
Yeah, but that organizational number of players you can have under contract & rights to is something like 80 or 90, I couldn't remember which. He never counted against the 50 man contract limit until now.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
They still held his NHL Rights as of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:57 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

What is he gunna bring yo the table

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:07 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 768
Quote:
Breakdown:

So what is he predicted to be getting? Around 1.5 per, or am I way off? What was he currently making in Europe? Glad to see him finally come over.

Where is Hannu Toivonen these days?

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:18 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
The trade deadline is a cutoff date for adding talent outside of your organization. Given that Soderberg was outside the organization of the Boston Bruins (yes i know they held his rights but it's been so long that it's a moot point), i dont think it fair to the other 29 teams or the rulebook that he is allowed to join them.

To all the folks who posted or are going to post comments about being "********" (interesting they're mostly bruins fans) or whatever--save it. Yes i am ******** because it presents an unfair advantage over the other teams.
So you're just declaring him as coming from "outside the organization" even though he isn't? And you're saying that someone else is being unfair?

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
So what is he predicted to be getting? Around 1.5 per, or am I way off? What was he currently making in Europe? Glad to see him finally come over.

Where is Hannu Toivonen these days?
Maybe $1M per? That's like twice what he makes in Sweden and his contract can't be buried in the minors then, which would show they're committed.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
I'm not sure who you are referring to because off the top of my head the only guys that I remember that came over when they were 26/27 or older have been Franzen and V Fasth.

I would be pretty happy if Soderberg gave the Bruins similar production Franzen in Detroit.
Zidlicky, Rafalski, Streit, Makarov off the top of my head

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote