HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't boo the rookies

Old
04-09-2013, 01:00 PM
MayDay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I don't think your constitutional right to boo is being questioned by anyone, anywhere.
Constitutional rights don't come into this anyway. The First Amendment only prevents the government from suppressing your speech. It doesn't have jack to say what private business can or can't do.

The Sabres are perfectly free to kick you out for booing if they wished, just as a restaurant or movie theater can give you the boot for being disruptive, just as HFBoard can ban or censor you for the content of your posts. These are all private entities providing a service to you that may be revoked at any time. The Constitution doesn't have anything to do with it.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:02 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

We're bringing the constitution into this? Looks lik we're going no holds barred! Haw's a'bout I drop some Gawdon Wood on ya's while ya at it?

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
French Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
They've been booed all year... it has accomplished zero.
To expand it further, booing does not accomplish anything but to embarrass everybody involved. Case in point, I feel it is a disgrace to the league when fans Boo the NHL president when he shows his face at the Draft or to hand out the Cup.

French Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Let me go to your job and act like a sniveling little brat and boo your work as you're trying to do your job.
Believe me, I've been subject to tirades that would peel paint off walls when my firm's screwed up. A nice hearty round of boos would be like a walk in the park.

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:04 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
We're not cheerleaders, we're paying customers, and their product stinks.

When the Buffalo Bills put forth a putrid effort at home vs. New Orleans in 1989, Jim Kelly left the field being pelted by snowballs. He was tough, unlike this team of Darcy Regier clones. Stop whining Sabres!
A proud moment, indeed. I'm sure those who pelted him with snowballs can tell there kids how their actions made Kelly become a great QB.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Um, people don't pay money to come watch me perform my job.
Doesn't matter. They pay for products and or services.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Doesn't matter. They pay for products and or services.
Yes it does matter. If you're trying to compare the work that I do to what the Sabres do, you're truly out to lunch.

sabrefan27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:12 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Sorry, players go where the money is and where they have an opportunity to win. Bottom line. Players don't analyze the crowd and worry about their feelings getting hurt.
I agree, and it's only an issue right now because the team is bad.

Again, the team got booed after a terrible shift, but a HUGE cheer after an awesome shift. That's how it goes.
Quote:
Booing accomplishes nothing.....tho its a natural reaction when the team is playing like crap....

Save the booing for end of periods and end of game as the players are leaving the ice.
If they had a particularly bad period/game, sure, whatever.

But it makes more sense to boo right after a shift/play that is bad.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Constitutional rights don't come into this anyway. The First Amendment only prevents the government from suppressing your speech. It doesn't have jack to say what private business can or can't do.

The Sabres are perfectly free to kick you out for booing if they wished, just as a restaurant or movie theater can give you the boot for being disruptive, just as HFBoard can ban or censor you for the content of your posts. These are all private entities providing a service to you that may be revoked at any time. The Constitution doesn't have anything to do with it.
I know, and agree. It was brought up as such by others though, so I addressed it on those grounds.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yes it does matter. If you're trying to compare the work that I do to what the Sabres do, you're truly out to lunch.
No...you're out to lunch.

Being a dissatisfied customer doesn't grant you the right to be a complete jackass....(in any business.)

Old
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:

Being a dissatisfied customer doesn't grant you the right to be a complete jackass....(in any business.)
Sigh.

Why does booing the team after a terrible shift make someone a jackass?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Sigh.

Loud negativity is annoying. It's ok to have different opinions, but the need to drown out everyone else with your own negativity is rude.

I can see why it might have a time or place (not for me), but when the game is tied or we are winning and its happening.... OMG, atrocious.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Oldest or youngest team in the league, they're still professionals at the highest level. Fans have every right to boo. And why does anyone care what another fan chooses to do at the game? They paid for a ticket, it's their right.
I don't see anyone trying to strip another of his 'rights'. People are allowed to boo and people are allowed to be critical of the booing. If you're gonna ask why someone cares (one way or the other) about other fans booing you may as well ask why someone cares about men gliding around on ice chasing a piece of rubber.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:

You have no idea what you're talking about.

A) Don't sit there and compare my job to a pro athlete. I don't perform live for people. People don't pay to come watch me sit in my office. I'm not in the entertainment business.

B) My job is to help my clients increase business and their online visibility. If it doesn't happen or they perceive that it's not happening, I've received plenty of angry phone calls. So it goes. That's how it is. And they have every right to do so since they paid good money for our product. I don't sit there and criticize them for it, I explain how I will make it right.

So to review, you lose in both situations. One, you made an incorrect comparison that isn't even valid. Two, if we connect those dots that aren't there anyway and try to compare, I've received my jobs equivalent of booing multiple times. I didn't call my client "ridiculous" or whine, I ultimately made it right. Quit while you're ahead.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I don't see anyone trying to strip another of his 'rights'. People are allowed to boo and people are allowed to be critical of the booing. If you're gonna ask why someone cares (one way or the other) about other fans booing you may as well ask why someone cares about men gliding around on ice chasing a piece of rubber.
Exactly. It's stupid. People are complaining about other peoples complaining. How about you let them do whatever they want to do. If the act of booing is so horrible, no one is forcing you to attend the game. Simple as that.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Sigh.

Because you're booing a bad team? You're booing the NHL's youngest team now. And because there is no cheers or support for the team in that arena unless there is a fight or a goal.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:38 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Because you're booing a bad team? You're booing the NHL's youngest team now. And because there is no cheers or support for the team in that arena unless there is a fight or a goal.
That last part is objectively not true.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:41 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
They've been booed all year... it has accomplished zero.
Ruff was canned the day after a game where they were booed off the ice unmercifully

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Sigh.

I think what they're trying to tell you is booing a bad shift might make you seem fickle, because the game is FULL of shifts, and picking out one bad one to satisfy your displeasure might appear stupid when the next shift nets you a goal and wins the game. If a team is on a 5 game losing streak, and is losing 4-1 with 8 minutes left, and your best veteran players are on the ice looking like garbage, then boo away. Just don't boo the hottest streak your team has been on all year, because they got hemmed in.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Moskau

What rookies are we booing? Flynn? One of the few players on the team most fans all like? Pysyk? Don't think so.

Those are the rookies on the team. The reason this team is boo'd is because our hardest working forward is Flynn and our best defensemen at the moment is Pysyk. The team is boo'd because it's a boring team with players that can't execute the basic fundamentals of the game.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:54 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
We're not cheerleaders, we're paying customers, and their product stinks.

When the Buffalo Bills put forth a putrid effort at home vs. New Orleans in 1989, Jim Kelly left the field being pelted by snowballs. He was tough, unlike this team of Darcy Regier clones. Stop whining Sabres!
I just want to commend you on being able to work in your blind hatred of Darcy Regier into every single topic, regardless of its relevance.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Ike View Post
The fact that they're still talking about it days later proves that it accomplishes exactly what it's meant to. It got their notice. It notifies them that the customers expect better than the putrid play they exhibited.
You know they won the game, and got 2 points, right?
NJ plays a style that keeps them in your end sometimes. You have to defend that, not change your entire teams style to suit the "customers needs" for moar offense all the time. If you're old enough, maybe you remember NJ playing all trap hockey?? I guess we should be hoarse from booing our team for playing vs. that style for all those years, right??

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Many young players outperform veterans. You can't paint a broad brush with it either way. Personally, I don't boo very often. But I will certainly defend another fans right to boo whenever they want to. It's not even a debate. If other fans don't like to hear it, they don't have to go.
The debate isn't whether fans have a right to boo. The debate is whether or not this team deserves to be booed. I don't think they do. They're playing their ***** off. They're hungry. This isn't half ass losses or wins. If it was... I would agree the booing is well deserved. This is an AHL team (With a few exceptions) pulling out wins when almost everyone including myself thought they'd be in a free fall after the deadline.

So anyone who is booing them looks like a jackass, IMO. And I have a right to my opinion, too.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:01 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

You suck you get booed. That's that. You don't like it? Your millionaire feelings get hurt? Tough ****.

You want praise? Play better. I was at that Devils game early in the year when they played hard EVERY shift and the crowd was alive. It was like a playoff game. Play like that every game and we'll have the best arena in sports.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:03 PM
zbubble

It's ridiculously ironic that the Sabres never trailed, won the game, and have a winning streak of 3 games now. Booing in games we're not even losing, that's sort of messed up.

I'd like to add I think it's also classless to boo certain players of other teams. I don't see that happen in any other arena when we play on the road or in any other non-Sabre game I watch. You'd think even a hated guy like Kaleta would get it when he touches the puck, but nothing. Maybe it's going on and I'm completely missing it, but I don't think so.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote