HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Rosters: Re-arrange the chairs on this sinking ship

Old
04-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Nashville Transplant

vCash: 500
Preds fans love affair with guys like Bourque and Beck create unrealistic expectations. Both guys are NOT (yet) first line players on a contending club. Most team's checking lines will render them ineffective more often than not. They need to be second and third line guys and develop over time. Bourque is small but effective, but if he's placed in that position of "first line guy" they're gonna chew him up and spit him out defensively and stifle him offensively... especially because the team doesn't have a number one center...

Yikes... where to begin...

We do know one thing... there are no less than 9 or 10 excellent options for a fourth line

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:00 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Wait, who said Bourque or Beck can be top line players? I don't even want Hornqvist on a top line. The whole discussion of whether or not Hornqvist is overrated sparked when I suggested using him in a package to get Ryan. If that happened I doubt anyone really cares about losing Hornqvist, and his net presence can be filled by Beck and Bourque. That's all I'm saying.

And I agree that Hornqvist has decent hands in close. He can lift the puck on his back hand from about two feet from the net, which is something that a lot of our forwards can't seem to do even on their forehand. He has quick reaction time, can take a beating without giving up on the play and is very good at deflecting pucks.

I'd still rather have a player who can create his own offense, and who makes his linemates better. At least on the top line anyway.

04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Wait, who said Bourque or Beck can be top line players?
I believe it was deanwormer in post #43

Old
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Ah I missed that post. I just assumed when you said "fans" that something may have been taken the wrong way.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:50 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Hornqvist has great hands in close, saying he cannot reproduce his 30 goal, he had 27 last year despite missing 6 games is just wrong.

Is he having an off year? Yes, but the team overall is having an off year.

I do however think Bourque and Beck are more overall better offensive players but not many in the league are better at tips and redirects as Hornqvist, he'll rebound, and 30 goals is not out of the question.
I see hornqvist as a consistent 20 goal scorer. Cheechoo scored 50 goals once, but no one calls him a 50 goal scorer. Im not knocking Hornqvist, he has the best effort level on the team night in and night out and I love the guy. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
I see hornqvist as a consistent 20 goal scorer. Cheechoo scored 50 goals once, but no one calls him a 50 goal scorer.
He does. His mom does. His agent tried to a couple of times. Didn't really work.

Quote:
Im not knocking Hornqvist, he has the best effort level on the team night in and night out and I love the guy.
Clune... effort... just a few shades of grey under Hornqvist in the talent department, but just as much compete.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 04-10-2013 at 03:10 PM. Reason: ugh...
Old
04-09-2013, 12:02 AM
tserberis*

The best thing about this conversation is how you crap on our players over the season, call them worse-less and incapable,
but then when it comes to packaging them for someone real special you calling it off, stating that it is over-payment.

I just laugh at that

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:05 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

@ NT

Im sure they did. I bet Cheechoos mom and agent were looking to retire real early

I agree about Clune, but I just expect more out of Hornqvist, if you know what I mean.

And to be honest I wouldnt mind Ward back, but no where near his current cap hit. Hes a solid bottom 6 guy

EDIT: Tsberis are talking about our fanbase as a whole?

Last edited by CantbeatzPekka: 04-09-2013 at 12:10 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 03:00 AM
Wolfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
When is Tollefsen signing and if he is when can we expect him? next season?
You seem to be one of few who have noticed that d-man Tollefsen has agreed to a deal with the Preds from next season. He'll sign and make it official when he's finished in Sweden, his team there is still in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure it's a one-way deal and he'll play top 4. Btw, I'm a NYR fan, but I follow Scandinavian players around.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I see hornqvist as a consistent 20 goal scorer. Cheechoo scored 50 goals once, but no one calls him a 50 goal scorer. Im not knocking Hornqvist, he has the best effort level on the team night in and night out and I love the guy. Sometimes you have to call a spade a spade
Ahhh but did Cheechoo also have a 47 goals season or did he average 46 goals a season?

Here's the spade, Hornqvist in his first 3 seasons in the NHL is averaging 26 goals.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:32 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn
Wait, who said Bourque or Beck can be top line players?
I believe it was deanwormer in post #43

Context, dude. The point was everyone is looking to find that "stud" to come here and counter Marty's attitude. My point was the we need to let our kids skate, give them increased role and responsibility, and quit going with Leggy, Fish, SK, Horny, etc. Focus on finding out how good Wilson can transition to #1C, focus on letting the kids play bigger minutes, focus on finding out if Smith can play Center, etc. THAT would show that we're heading in the right direction, similar to what Gaborik decided about CBUS.

I just don't see what good it's gonna' do to skate Wilson with Horny and SK (or whomever) as his linemates; maybe Leggy, but otherwise, there isn't anyone else who is close to top line or the right set of complimentary skills. Maybe we get that guy in a trade for Blum or Ellis and SK or Horny - that'd be great, but we're sure not gonna' attract the stud FA we want if we continue to over-rely on guys skating up a line too far; just go with the kids and find out what they're made of.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Good discussion going on. Let's try to redirect it back to roster moves rather than focusing so much on Hornqvist's potential, though.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Ahhh but did Cheechoo also have a 47 goals season or did he average 46 goals a season?

Here's the spade, Hornqvist in his first 3 seasons in the NHL is averaging 26 goals.
Which is my point, he is a consistent 20 goal scorer. I hope he can bury 30 again, I just dont see it happening in our current situation.

But on topic, I honestly dont have a clue as to what management will do this summer. Im curious to see who is traded/drafted/signed to help round out our roster.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:45 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I feel like a push for ryan will be made.

Horny ane Blum I could see being dealt in a deal for a forward. Ellis maybe with Ekholm coming up.

Sk I just don't want anymore.

Buyout goose. And gill.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Part of me thinks Gill will stay. I believe one of Blum/Ellis will be dangled at the draft for a forward or to move up if we have someone in mind.

Blueline could look like:

Weber-Josi
Klein- Bartley
Gill-Blum/Ellis/Ekholm

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Part of me thinks Gill will stay. I believe one of Blum/Ellis will be dangled at the draft for a forward or to move up if we have someone in mind.

Blueline could look like:

Weber-Josi
Klein- Bartley
Gill-Blum/Ellis/Ekholm
Need to improve that Klein pair as well as the depth (Bartley, Gill, Ellis) ? ... really didn't cut the mustard this year, I don't believe at least ... Seth Jones ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

I want Gill to stay. He is valuable to this team, with Hannan gone next season it shouldnt be a problem. Main thing I want this team to gain is speed and puck possession.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Need to improve that Klein pair as well as the depth (Bartley, Gill, Ellis) ? ... really didn't cut the mustard this year, I don't believe at least ... Seth Jones ?
Mark Streit. Let's get the best two Swiss players to ever be in the NHL on the same team. IIRC Josi said Streit is his idol. Perfect fit with Klein.

Weber-Josi
Streit-Klein
Blum/Ellis/Ekholm/Gill/Bartley/OKT

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 04-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
If we don't trade Blum and Ellis this off-season they'll need to sink or swim next year. If one of them can solidify a spot on the roster then we have four spots locked down and our d core starts looking respectable again. Streit would be a great idea, too.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Mark Streit. Let's get the best two Fins to ever be in the NHL on the same team. IIRC Josi said Streit is his idol. Perfect fit with Klein.

Weber-Josi
Streit-Klein
Blum/Ellis/Ekholm/Gill/Bartley/OKT
Swiss actually, but I think that's what you meant.

Streit is a solid, underrated d-man, and worth an offer if he leaves the Islanders, which I'm not so sure he does.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
If we don't trade Blum and Ellis this off-season they'll need to sink or swim next year. If one of them can solidify a spot on the roster then we have four spots locked down and our d core starts looking respectable again. Streit would be a great idea, too.
Ellis is only 22, and is still a few years away from that point, IMO. Blum, on the other hand, I don't believe will be with the organization going into next year.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Filipthefuture

With all of this trade Blum talk I just dont see it happening. As bad as we say he has been playing dont you think other teams can see that as well, so why would they want him. I see us resigning him giving him another year with the team and then possible just letting him go if he doesnt step up.

Filipthefuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I want Gill to stay. He is valuable to this team, with Hannan gone next season it shouldnt be a problem. Main thing I want this team to gain is speed and puck possession.
So you want Gill to sty yet you want to gain speed and puck possession? Aren't you contradicting yourself with these two statements?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
So you want Gill to sty yet you want to gain speed and puck possession? Aren't you contradicting yourself with these two statements?
I was going to include that in my post

But seriously, I think he is a steady 3rd pairing guy who can groom our young dman.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filipthefuture View Post
With all of this trade Blum talk I just dont see it happening. As bad as we say he has been playing dont you think other teams can see that as well, so why would they want him. I see us resigning him giving him another year with the team and then possible just letting him go if he doesnt step up.
Rich Pevereley'd