HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Don't boo the rookies

Old
04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
It's ridiculously ironic that the Sabres never trailed, won the game, and have a winning streak of 3 games now. Booing in games we're not even losing, that's sort of messed up.

I'd like to add I think it's also classless to boo certain players of other teams. I don't see that happen in any other arena when we play on the road or in any other non-Sabre game I watch. You'd think even a hated guy like Kaleta would get it when he touches the puck, but nothing. Maybe it's going on and I'm completely missing it, but I don't think so.
Last night Ducks fans were booing Nick Schultz thinking he was Justin Schultz. of course, they had a pretty good reason if they could get it right.

But I think overall you are right. There is more booing here than in almost any arena.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
You suck you get booed. That's that. You don't like it? Your millionaire feelings get hurt? Tough ****.
Ahh yes, the old adage, "Do unto others as you would have them do to you, unless they're a millionaire."

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I've been to a ton of NYR games over the years (usually when they are hosting Buffalo).

I'm not sure that's a comparison you really want to make. The Rangers fans can be pretty loud and raucous. And there are hecklers, but by and large they don't boo their own team the way that Buffalo fans do, even when they are playing bad.

Not sure what happened to the Buffalo crowd. Back in the 90s, it seemed like the crowd was louder, more chanting, and less negative/cynical/pessimistic. Granted, the team hasn't been good this year, but it seems this way even during wins.

Of course, I don't get to many games in Buffalo anymore, and maybe I'm not really getting an accurate picture over TV.
There is nothing left of the passion of the Sabres games that I grew up going to. I find it to be barely enjoyable, even. Maybe some of the circumstances surrounding the team and the Bills have soured fans to a point where they are just plain sour?

Also, I watch at least 200 regular season NHL game every season, and I don't see irrational booing during tie games or wins.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:08 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Ahh yes, the old adage, "Do to others as you would have them do to you, unless they're a millionaire."
Let me rephrase. You suck you get booed. Your feelings get hurt, tough ****.

I'm not one to boo at the drop of a hat, but that was a miserable display of hockey.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:10 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Let's just put it out in the open. We have a horrible crowd.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:11 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Last night Ducks fans were booing Nick Schultz thinking he was Justin Schultz. of course, they had a pretty good reason if they could get it right.

But I think overall you are right. There is more booing here than in almost any arena.
This is exactly it, though. You nailed it. There are fans who are just caught up in it, and boo not even knowing what the heck is going on. It's a fault the internet generation has, where they kinda got a sound byte about something, and they wanna join in, because they think they know what's up. The whole country is full of these same uneducated biases. You sir, get a gold star, because just like they shouldn't have been booing Nick Schultz, you don't boo your team during a winning streak in a game they're not losing. It does not make any sense.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:20 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
I'm not one to boo at the drop of a hat, but that was a miserable display of hockey.
What was miserable is that they couldn't gain possession or get it out of the zone when they did. What was good, is despite all that time in the zone, there was only one real scoring chance that Jersey had (Sullivan). The Sabres actually did a decent job of defending without the puck by keeping the play to the outside and in low percentage scoring areas.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:22 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
What rookies are we booing? Flynn? One of the few players on the team most fans all like? Pysyk? Don't think so.

Those are the rookies on the team. The reason this team is boo'd is because our hardest working forward is Flynn and our best defensemen at the moment is Pysyk. The team is boo'd because it's a boring team with players that can't execute the basic fundamentals of the game.
Years of frustration have many fed up.

Give people something to cheer about and they do. Feed them a plate of **** for years and expect dissatisfaction.

04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Start giving refunds for the outrageous prices they charge and I'll never boo. I pay to see a quality product. Don't provide one, and I'll show my displeasure in the only way I can. If you hold up a sign that shows displeasure in any way, they confiscate it. How else is a fan allowed to show they aren't happy? Not show up after you are already there?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Years of frustration have many fed up.

Give people something to cheer about and they do. Feed them a plate of **** for years and expect dissatisfaction.
I think the Bills are even a factor in it. It's just general dissatisfaction in our local sports, because the state of the Sabres is probably better than it has been in years. Maybe not by our position in the NHL standings right now, but just overall stability. Not too long ago we faced losing this club.

I agree with everyone who said "give us a good team, and we won't boo", but I remember not too long ago, "let us keep our club, and we'll be happy". Then it was, "give us a owner who wants to win..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Start giving refunds for the outrageous prices they charge and I'll never boo. I pay to see a quality product. Don't provide one, and I'll show my displeasure in the only way I can. If you hold up a sign that shows displeasure in any way, they confiscate it. How else is a fan allowed to show they aren't happy? Not show up after you are already there?
This is more about the booing in this last game, which they won. I don't think anyone thinks booing a bad team on a bad run is wrong.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Soooo, when the fans are vocal no one likes it. When the fans are silent, no one likes it.

I get it.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Don't buy tickets? I haven't been to a game this year because they suck.

I don't understand why people go to these games if they're just going to boo. I'd understand if we had a competitive roster who should make some noise like last years team, but look at the current roster top to bottom. Does it look like a team that's going to **** on other teams? No, it doesn't. The only way that roster wins a game is through hard work, solid defense, and Miller making some key saves. That's it. So what do you guys expect going into these games? They aren't going to wow you with skill and they're going to get dominated at times. It sucks, but it's to be expected.

Last edited by Dubi Doo: 04-09-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Dubi Doo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post

I don't understand why people go to these games if they're just going to boo. I'd understand if we had a competitive roster who should make some noise like last years team, but look at the current roster top to bottom. Does it look like a team that's going to **** on other teams? No, it doesn't. The only way that roster wins a game is through hard work, solid defense, and Miller making some key saves. That's it. So what do you guys expect going into these games? They aren't going to wow you with skill and they're going to get dominated at times. It sucks, but it's to be expected.
That's kinda the way I see it, too. We don't have the battleships to blow Jersey out of the water, so we played to our strengths, and got a victory. That's good for a young team, but for some reason not good enough for our fans. I'd imagine if all fanbases were like ours, they'd be jumping out windows after losing to our AHL team featuring John Scott on regular shifts, right?

...and yes, your basic right as a consumer is to not buy the product more than it is to buy the product, and then complain about it. The tickets and jerseys don't come with any guarantees, implied or written.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
It's ridiculously ironic that the Sabres never trailed, won the game, and have a winning streak of 3 games now. Booing in games we're not even losing, that's sort of messed up.

I'd like to add I think it's also classless to boo certain players of other teams. I don't see that happen in any other arena when we play on the road or in any other non-Sabre game I watch. You'd think even a hated guy like Kaleta would get it when he touches the puck, but nothing. Maybe it's going on and I'm completely missing it, but I don't think so.
Eh, this happens more often than some people realize. Of course I can't think of any concrete examples , but players who injure other players always get some flack by opposing fans. Maybe our arena has a propensity to do it more often? I dunno, but i have seen other fan bases do the same.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Soooo, when the fans are vocal no one likes it. When the fans are silent, no one likes it.

I get it.
No you don't.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:50 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

This entire thread, all I can think of is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up4LTKxe0PA

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:51 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Loud negativity is annoying. It's ok to have different opinions, but the need to drown out everyone else with your own negativity is rude.

I can see why it might have a time or place (not for me), but when the game is tied or we are winning and its happening.... OMG, atrocious.
So you're ok with booing in moderation and in specific situations? Because that's where I am at for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Because you're booing a bad team? You're booing the NHL's youngest team now. And because there is no cheers or support for the team in that arena unless there is a fight or a goal.
That is factually wrong. I already stated multiple times that later in that same game the crowd cheered VERY loudly after a long beautiful forecheck by the Sabres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
I think what they're trying to tell you is booing a bad shift might make you seem fickle, because the game is FULL of shifts, and picking out one bad one to satisfy your displeasure might appear stupid when the next shift nets you a goal and wins the game. If a team is on a 5 game losing streak, and is losing 4-1 with 8 minutes left, and your best veteran players are on the ice looking like garbage, then boo away. Just don't boo the hottest streak your team has been on all year, because they got hemmed in.
People aren't booing the hot streak. It was the 3rd of 4th time they got stuck in their own zone for a prolonged period, this one particularly long. Fans were booing that shift, nothing else. They did cheer good shifts and after the team won as well.

Quote:
The debate isn't whether fans have a right to boo. The debate is whether or not this team deserves to be booed. I don't think they do. They're playing their ***** off. They're hungry. This isn't half ass losses or wins. If it was... I would agree the booing is well deserved. This is an AHL team (With a few exceptions) pulling out wins when almost everyone including myself thought they'd be in a free fall after the deadline.

So anyone who is booing them looks like a jackass, IMO. And I have a right to my opinion, too.
So it's ok to boo them if they aren't "playing their ***** off" (overall), but not after multiple extended shifts stuck in their own zone? Is that correct?

Quote:
Let's just put it out in the open. We have a horrible crowd.
... Can't argue there.

Quote:
I think the Bills are even a factor in it. It's just general dissatisfaction in our local sports, because the state of the Sabres is probably better than it has been in years. Maybe not by our position in the NHL standings right now, but just overall stability. Not too long ago we faced losing this club.

I agree with everyone who said "give us a good team, and we won't boo", but I remember not too long ago, "let us keep our club, and we'll be happy". Then it was, "give us a owner who wants to win..."

This is more about the booing in this last game, which they won. I don't think anyone thinks booing a bad team on a bad run is wrong.
So fans aren't allowed to boo because the team won the previous 2 games?

Quote:

Fans don't buy tickets with the intention of booing. They buy tickets to hopefully watch an entertaining hockey game. Booing is a small action within the game itself, no different than cheering. It should have no relevant to why a fan bought a ticket in the first place. To suggest so seems like grasping for reasons to hate booing instead of a practical conclusion.

Quote:
That's kinda the way I see it, too. We don't have the battleships to blow Jersey out of the water, so we played to our strengths, and got a victory. That's good for a young team, but for some reason not good enough for our fans. I'd imagine if all fanbases were like ours, they'd be jumping out windows after losing to our AHL team featuring John Scott on regular shifts, right?
That's the conclusion you've reached because some fans booed one terrible shift? So what about those same fans cheering multiple times afterwards?

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:52 PM
zbubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCryceratops View Post
Eh, this happens more often than some people realize. Of course I can't think of any concrete examples , but players who injure other players always get some flack by opposing fans. Maybe our arena has a propensity to do it more often? I dunno, but i have seen other fan bases do the same.
Injuries maybe, but we even go so far as to boo our own former players. Campbell gets booed and he didn't even want to leave, he got traded. It's completely nonsensical.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post

That's the conclusion you've reached because some fans booed one terrible shift? So what about those same fans cheering multiple times afterwards?
You just don't get it. You boo a poorly performing team, not a bad shift where you played defensively to counteract a strong forecheck, where your guys got gassed. Guys get hemmed in, and get tired. It's a fact of the game, and it happens.

Just for the heck of it, do you watch games other than Sabres games? Can you recall a team being booed in a game tied or winning for similar circumstances. I've seen games where the Ducks have had teams hemmed in for almost 5 minutes, and no boos.

Now, do the fans have the "right", yes, but should they boo random bad shifts, probably not. Get enough beers in me, and I'd have probably told them around me to shut it, and look at the scoreboard.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:12 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I think this has a lot to do with the Pegula expectations. To come in trumpeting Stanley Cups within 3 years and whatnot was the right thing to do, but it's also irresponsible when you don't know what you're basing that premise off of.

Not slighting the guy at all, but he worked people up into a frenzy.

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I think this has a lot to do with the Pegula expectations. To come in trumpeting Stanley Cups within 3 years and whatnot was the right thing to do, but it's also irresponsible when you don't know what you're basing that premise off of.

Not slighting the guy at all, but he worked people up into a frenzy.
Haha, and other times people say Pegula doesn't say enough.

I'm not going to debate this anymore, because it comes down to personal choice, and everyone is entitled to theirs. I just think it's fickle to sit at a single sporting event and cheer, boo, cheer, boo, cheer.... It makes a person seem bi-polar to micro manage their emotions during a 60 min event which can only have 2(well maybe 3) outcomes. Heck, you could boo/cheer every shootout attempt, too. What fun that could be? Teams sometimes win ugly games, but when they're bracketed by other wins, you should tend to overlook it, not boo it.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Zippster

So clap and cheer when they do something good but sit silently on your hands when they are sucking? Ummm no.

If it was isolated games or plays, maybe, but its year after year of crap and promises.

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Injuries maybe, but we even go so far as to boo our own former players. Campbell gets booed and he didn't even want to leave, he got traded. It's completely nonsensical.
If true, that's crazy. My kids still wear their Campbell Sabres shirts to games.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:26 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
You just don't get it. You boo a poorly performing team, not a bad shift where you played defensively to counteract a strong forecheck, where your guys got gassed. Guys get hemmed in, and get tired. It's a fact of the game, and it happens.

Just for the heck of it, do you watch games other than Sabres games? Can you recall a team being booed in a game tied or winning for similar circumstances. I've seen games where the Ducks have had teams hemmed in for almost 5 minutes, and no boos.

Now, do the fans have the "right", yes, but should they boo random bad shifts, probably not. Get enough beers in me, and I'd have probably told them around me to shut it, and look at the scoreboard.
No, I get it. I was trying to understand where you were coming from.

I guess we'll just have to fundamentally disagree. I see no issue with booing particular shifts, where as you think it's only ok to boo when the team is performing poorly overall (like they were most of this season).

I'm not going to tell you when you should boo though, or that you're a jackass for doing so.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote