HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
04-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Brewster

vCash: 500
Can someone please explain to me why the Warriors didn't trade this guy to a contender? Seems to me they could've gotten a king's ransom and gotten some awesome pieces for the future. Was it a matter of the price being too high?

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 02:35 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
Can someone please explain to me why the Warriors didn't trade this guy to a contender? Seems to me they could've gotten a king's ransom and gotten some awesome pieces for the future. Was it a matter of the price being too high?
Likely a matter of still selling tickets.

With out Rielly, and no playoff chance they would of had to give tickets away for free.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 05:16 PM
HSF

he has a ridiculous amount of hype and that is cause he is a leafs prospect

it goes both ways :s

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:32 AM
Semantics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eric View Post
Are you kidding me!? The Leafs don't rush prospects? They have ruined just about every prospect they have ever drafted going all the way back to the seventies. I have suffered through 30 years of bad hockey. Finally they are starting to do things the right way. I say give the kid all the time he needs.
Like who? It's more likely those prospects just weren't good picks to begin with - Jeff Ware anyone? I still remember that year they drafted three Belleville Bulls, two of them at #3 overall and #12 overall... brutal.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
What's I've seen mostly is Leafs fans hoping Rielly becoming half as good as Karlsson.
"Half"?

Get bent,

2/3 rds easily.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
facelessjoe1990

how close is he to the NHL?

If he's with the Marlies now, will he be in the nhl next season?

facelessjoe1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:16 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
Not necessarily, he can go back to juniors next year if the Leafs brass doesn't think he's ready. The reason he's allowed to play in the AHL at the moment is that his CHL season is over. Lots of drafted junior aged players join their teams' AHL affilate at the end of the season to get a little pro experience.

So short answer, nobody knows. We'll see next year.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:18 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
Probaly traded for a young Centre before next season, they already have John Micheal Liles. Or they could make him into a Centre. No way Kitty is going to have three puck moving defencemen in his top six. Gardiner or Rielly one must go, make your choice Leaf experts.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

vCash: 50
Scouting report on Rielly.

http://leafshero.wordpress.com/2013/...outing-report/

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
Probaly traded for a young Centre before next season, they already have John Micheal Liles. Or they could make him into a Centre. No way Kitty is going to have three puck moving defencemen in his top six. Gardiner or Rielly one must go, make your choice Leaf experts.
Liles

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
mapes

Quote:
Not sure if serious..

Liles will likely be bought out IMO.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Please tell me how you came to this assessment?

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
From the article:

Weaknesses:

* Lacks any physical presence
* Sleight and is susceptible to being out-muscled by larger forwards.
* Struggles in maintaining control of his man and appears to be lost at times in defensive zone coverage

For those who see him more regularly, how accurate does this seem?

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:20 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glgbill View Post
From the article:

Weaknesses:

* Struggles in maintaining control of his man and appears to be lost at times in defensive zone coverage

He can skate and pass that's what Centre's do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Not sure if serious..

Liles will likely be bought out IMO.
Since returning to the lineup the Leafs have been better, NO?

Quote:
From the article:

Weaknesses:

No way Liles, Gardiner, and Rielly can play for Carlyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
Please tell me how you came to this assessment?
Red Kelly and Four Cups.

FreeBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:26 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
From the article:

Weaknesses:

Sounds like a horrible defenseman. Those are pretty much all the facets you want from a defenseman

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

vCash: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Likely a matter of still selling tickets.

With out Rielly, and no playoff chance they would of had to give tickets away for free.
Guess what situation they'll most likely be in next year without Rielly?

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Sundinisagod
@snizzbone

Quote:
From the article:

Weaknesses:

The 2nd comment has to be wrong, he's pretty stocky and did well on strength tests at the combine, known as a gym rat...roughly 200lbs and 6' = "Sleight"??

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:16 PM
Dakkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
The 2nd comment has to be wrong, he's pretty stocky and did well on strength tests at the combine, known as a gym rat...roughly 200lbs and 6' = "Sleight"??
The word you're looking for is slight.

Dakkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Sounds like a horrible defenseman. Those are pretty much all the facets you want from a defenseman
Strengths:

Excellent offensive instincts
Explosive skating
Elite puck-handler
Excellent first pass
Intelligent in own end
Able to control pace of the game in both ends

FlowNoMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:50 PM
JVReemer

vCash: 610
Does anyone know how he's been playing with the marlies?

JVReemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
From the article:

Weaknesses:

I disagree with all of them to an extent.

1. He isn't a hard hitting guy, but he'll play physical enough to separate his opponent from the puck and is willing to battle physically along the boards but he won't go out and give big hits or intimidate players. He definitely lacks physical presence, but saying "any" is not true.

2. I wouldn't say Rielly is slight. The guy is 6'1 and 200 lbs, certainly isn't big but is the average size of NHL players, and a little below average for defensemen. He's not weak and can win his share of puck battles, but Rielly uses his stick and positioning to win battles more than his strength.

3. I agree that Morgan does show that he's lost sometimes in his zone coverage, but he usually recovers and are few in between. If there is anything to work on in his game it is d-zone coverage, but it certainly is not bad.

Personally, I think Morgan is ready for the big jump. Guys like him don't really have much more to learn playing junior. The strength that is underrated, but mentioned in that same article, is that Morgan is extremely intelligent at both ends of the ice. He makes the right decision almost all the time, he makes the best option for getting the puck out of the zone, he knows when to rush or when to pinch, he's not reckless offensively, he uses his body and skating to run the opposition into low percentage areas or runs them out of ice.

I think Carlyle is going to have a hard time sending Morgan down if he plays the way he's capable of playing. Carlyle will find a role for him next year imo, albeit a sheltered role.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:46 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowzie View Post
Strengths:

Excellent offensive instincts
Explosive skating
Elite puck-handler
Excellent first pass
Intelligent in own end
Able to control pace of the game in both ends
Sounds like a great Defenseman. Those are pretty much all the facets you want for a puck-moving Dman.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Henderson19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
I disagree with all of them to an extent.

1. He isn't a hard hitting guy, but he'll play physical enough to separate his opponent from the puck and is willing to battle physically along the boards but he won't go out and give big hits or intimidate players. He definitely lacks physical presence, but saying "any" is not true.

2. I wouldn't say Rielly is slight. The guy is 6'1 and 200 lbs, certainly isn't big but is the average size of NHL players, and a little below average for defensemen. He's not weak and can win his share of puck battles, but Rielly uses his stick and positioning to win battles more than his strength.

3. I agree that Morgan does show that he's lost sometimes in his zone coverage, but he usually recovers and are few in between. If there is anything to work on in his game it is d-zone coverage, but it certainly is not bad.

Personally, I think Morgan is ready for the big jump. Guys like him don't really have much more to learn playing junior. The strength that is underrated, but mentioned in that same article, is that Morgan is extremely intelligent at both ends of the ice. He makes the right decision almost all the time, he makes the best option for getting the puck out of the zone, he knows when to rush or when to pinch, he's not reckless offensively, he uses his body and skating to run the opposition into low percentage areas or runs them out of ice.

I think Carlyle is going to have a hard time sending Morgan down if he plays the way he's capable of playing. Carlyle will find a role for him next year imo, albeit a sheltered role.
Thanks!

Henderson19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:53 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Does anyone know how he's been playing with the marlies?
It's clear he's a little overwhelmed in his own zone with the strength of the guys he's playing against. He needs to settle his game down a bit -- makes rookie mistakes with some high-risk passes when he should probably just get it to the strong side winger.

That said, his vision, his skating, his hands, puck control, and for the large part (aforementioned notwithstanding) his decision making has translated well. He racks up a ton of shots too. Routinely finishes the game with the most shots for on the Marlies. He's getting his chances, but he's an 18 year old defensemen, and it shows at times.

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

I think people need to give this kid more than just a handful of games on a brand new team, with new linemates/D-partners, new coach, new system -- heck, a whole new league and level of play.

And no, I'm actually not a Leaf fan, despite being from Toronto. But I think Morgan Rielly is a sensational prospect and has all-star potential. He may not ever be a very physical or punishing Dman, but I see him becoming a complete Dman in every other sense of the term. His raw tools, hockey IQ, skating and skills are outstanding, and his character and competitiveness seem exemplary, as well.

People need to remember that not every good young Dman is going to adjust to the pros as quickly as a Drew Doughty, or is going to immediately put up Karlsson/Letang/Subban-like numbers. There is nothing that Rielly has or hasn't shown that should lead anyone to think he's not as good as a prospect he was thought to be when drafted 5th overall. Given that he cannot play in the AHL next season (junior eligability), I see the best fit for him as being a 3rd pairing NHLer on the big club, provided he has a strong training camp; though I would still be open to letting him play in the WJCs as part of his development.

I'm usually a proponent of giving kids more time to develop in lower leagues, but in Rielly's case, I think he is quite exceptional and could see him benefiting even more from moving up to the NHL level next year. As long as he is getting 3rd pairing minutes and isn't being asked to be the team's go-to guy, I don't see this as being a risk for his development (again, provided he earns that position out of camp).

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote