HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 08:43 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

vCash: 500
Why the hell do people want to trade Stewart? We need to keep our size up front, not trade it. Not only that, Stewart has shown a commitment to getting better, and can only build on his success from this season.

Another poster said it best, we need our team's answer to Anze Kopitar.

This franchise seems to be going forward with the mobile D-men and big bruising forwards philosophy, so trading Stewart would defeat that purpose.

Jaskin is coming into the mix, apparently, so that's another big forward we've added and didn't have to give up anything.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:48 AM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
That could be, and they could also choose to not resign Weiss. They still have a load of depth at the position though.

The only other team I can think of with that much skilled depth at Center is Ottawa. They have

Spezza
Turris
Zibanejad
Conacher

We seem to have a good relationship with Ottawa, perhaps we can work something out there.
conacher's a winger i'm pretty sure but still spezza turris, zibanejad is right up there skill wise. They also have zack smith who's good little hard working player. can score and grind it out down low.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:52 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Was having some fun with the idea of Backstrom to the Blues for Berglund, Perron, and Cole.

Schwartz-Backstrom-Stewart
Steen-Backes-Oshie
McDonald/(Jaskin?)-Sobotka-Tarasenko
Porter-Cracknell-Reaves

Old
04-09-2013, 08:55 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

I'm crying because as good as that lineup is, it'll never happen.

Since we're talking Capitals, though, what about Kuznetsov?

He'd be more likely to come over knowing Tarasenko's here.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
I'm crying because as good as that lineup is, it'll never happen.

Since we're talking Capitals, though, what about Kuznetsov?

He'd be more likely to come over knowing Tarasenko's here.
I just said that literally the second to last post on the page before this

Old
04-09-2013, 09:01 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
Or a risker move may be kunetsov from Washington. Washington wants to win now so they may be selling him. If I remember correctly he and Tarasenko are friends from the junior team so there's a small possibility he would come over earlier for us than for Washington.

Whoops, great minds think alike.

Other than what we both said, I don't know much about him admittedly though.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:05 AM
nicholas89alex

Quote:

Whoops, great minds think alike.

Other than what we both said, I don't know much about him admittedly though.
Big forward, crazy talented. Plays center and right wing I believe. but like you Im not quite sure what his skill set is.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

I'm guessing a package of Perron and Berglund would be an overpayment?

Old
04-09-2013, 09:14 AM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
I'm guessing a package of Perron and Berglund would be an overpayment?
probably an underpayment or equal. Kunetsov Is generally considered a top 3 prospect but his unwillingness to come over seas drops him on the rankings. He is already the best player on his team in Russia and there is no reason to believe he is anything other than a first liner in the NHL. looking at his stats and scouting reports he seems to be a playmaker but if there's no plays open he will score himself. and he's a flawless skater with incredible speed which is what I've been hoping for on our top line.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
For Kuznetsov, I would say so but that's what they would ask for, especially considering (the fans at least) they feel like they got ripped off losing Forsberg for Erat.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:19 AM
nicholas89alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
For Kuznetsov, I would say so but that's what they would ask for, especially considering (the fans at least) they feel like they got ripped off losing Forsberg for Erat.
Yeah And I would have to think really hard and long about that trade. I would rather try to do Berglund and a prospect like rattie or schmaltz see if they would bite at that. Washington's GM doesn't seem to be great at trade negotiations though.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:32 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
Yeah And I would have to think really hard and long about that trade. I would rather try to do Berglund and a prospect like rattie or schmaltz see if they would bite at that. Washington's GM doesn't seem to be great at trade negotiations though.
I'm taking this one to the trade board.

Wish me luck.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
That is a massive, massive overpayment. Berglund or Perron and a small plus is as much as we should offer. It is a matter of risk/reward. I think it is pretty certain that he comes over for the 2014/15 season, but giving up 1 roster player and a B prospect is as much as you pay when it comes to the risk factor. He doesn't get anything close to his actual value as a player because of that risk.

Of course, no Capitals fan on this board will even think about accepting that, because they think they have a potential superstar on their hands and they "know" he will come over. A GM who has his job on the line and can immediate help from a quality player going into next season might give it serious consideration though.

Not sure why you think Tarasenko is a factor, they aren't great friends or anything. I think Orlov is a closer friend to Kuznetsov.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:56 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I think they're just going to sign Stephen Weiss in the offseason.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Beginning to think that the only option now for us is to make a splash on the free agent market. Not much else out there in terms of trades, and to be honest, I don't think we should be trading anything else.

When you think about how we built this team, free agency is a pretty logical conclusion considering the other steps we've taken (drafting then key trades).

And yes, Weiss or Ribeiro to top it all off would make this team elite.

Last edited by illninofan*: 04-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old
04-09-2013, 11:05 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

A lot of this talk is really premature, because we don't know who's going to show up in the playoffs. We're just guessing at who might be moved off the roster. Berglund has been underwhelming again this season, both Perron and Stewart have pretty much disappeared from the scoresheet lately. But if they play big in the postseason, our ideas will shift.

We're in that weird time where there isn't much to discuss in this thread.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:14 AM
Alklha

I don't see us being very active in FA. Players look for big money and long contracts, and Armstrong basically said we don't expect to be players in one of his radio interviews.

I expect a trade in the summer though, or at least the groundwork laid for a deal early next season. I can see why some think it is premature, but we need a playmaking centre. I don't think he needs to be an elite #1 guy, but we need someone a bit different.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:21 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I just mean it's premature to formulate packages since we don't know who stays and who goes from the forwards. We know we'll need a center either way, because we've finally all accepted that Berglund is never going to be a Sedin. (I don't know how he didn't become one! They're all Swedish! Therefore extrapolation!)

Old
04-09-2013, 02:32 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I think they're just going to sign Stephen Weiss in the offseason.
This.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Alklha

Quote:
I just mean it's premature to formulate packages since we don't know who stays and who goes from the forwards. We know we'll need a center either way, because we've finally all accepted that Berglund is never going to be a Sedin. (I don't know how he didn't become one! They're all Swedish! Therefore extrapolation!)
Unless we go to the Stanley Cup Finals, it is difficult to see what time will change. Berglund isn't going to become the type of C that we need. Perron is a very good player, but he is never going to be untouchable. Stewart has size and scoring ability, albeit streaky, on his side. Oshie, Backes and our ELC players are pretty unlikely to be the trade chips.

I don't understand why people are so dismissive of Gagner on the main boards. I wouldn't move Berglund for him, but it isn't a bad offer. Despite his lack of size, he is more of the type of centre that we need. I'd say Lehterä is a better option than Gagner, and there is no asset cost.

Someone like Weiss would certainly improve us, simply because he is another #2C. The issue there is that he is more of what we have. If the plan was to move forward with Backes/Berglund/Weiss, then I think that would be a mistake. If acquiring Weiss was with the idea of moving Berglund or Backes the fair enough.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:28 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Unless we go to the Stanley Cup Finals, it is difficult to see what time will change. Berglund isn't going to become the type of C that we need. Perron is a very good player, but he is never going to be untouchable. Stewart has size and scoring ability, albeit streaky, on his side. Oshie, Backes and our ELC players are pretty unlikely to be the trade chips.

I don't understand why people are so dismissive of Gagner on the main boards. I wouldn't move Berglund for him, but it isn't a bad offer. Despite his lack of size, he is more of the type of centre that we need. I'd say Lehterä is a better option than Gagner, and there is no asset cost.

Someone like Weiss would certainly improve us, simply because he is another #2C. The issue there is that he is more of what we have. If the plan was to move forward with Backes/Berglund/Weiss, then I think that would be a mistake. If acquiring Weiss was with the idea of moving Berglund or Backes the fair enough.
Has the sort of center we need really been established, beyond the ever-present forum dream for a "better center" than Backes?

It seems to me that Gagner fails to display many, if not all, of the traits that I think Hitchcock and Co. would value in a center.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Gagner has gotten better than he was. I'm not super high on him being the right guy in this system but it'd be unfair to ignore that he's improved.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(°o°)ϵ

Quote:
Gagner has gotten better than he was. I'm not super high on him being the right guy in this system but it'd be unfair to ignore that he's improved.
Oh, I'm not ignoring it. I'm just considering things like:

How does he play in his own zone?
How does he play along the boards?
How well does he use his body?
How structured is his game?
How well does he manage the puck?
How well does he drive the play forward?
Is he capable of/willing to play a North-South game?
Can he play with a grinder's mentality?

I wouldn't call any of those things "strengths" for Gagner, and some of them are outright weaknesses. All of them are probably fairly important to Hitchcock, to one degree or another. It's simply hard for me to believe Gagner's the sort of center the Blues would target (assuming they are targeting one).

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 04-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 05:19 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
For people who say just sign Weiss, Roy, or Ribeiro, we would still have to move significant salary to fit them in anyway.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:24 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
For people who say just sign Weiss, Roy, or Ribeiro, we would still have to move significant salary to fit them in anyway.
Halak.

Closed Thread