HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 MLB Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Based on all the other moves Toronto made, they seem interested in winning now. Dickey made sense.

04-09-2013, 02:57 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Based on all the other moves Toronto made, they seem interested in winning now. Dickey made sense.
He also will most likely keep pitching for a while because of the pitch he throws.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
fulmer.
Brutally underrated.

As for Dickey: he'll be fine. I don't know if he'll ever win another Cy Young, but he'll be a top of the rotation starter for another few years. That being said, did Toronto overpay? If d'Arnaud and Syndergaard pan out the way they're currently projected (or even one of them), yeah. Criminally.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He also will most likely keep pitching for a while because of the pitch he throws.
Not necessarily. It's important to remember that he was a traditional fastball pitcher until the age of 30. There are a lot of innings on that arm. He also throws a very hard knuckle ball.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:14 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Toronto overpaid for a retirement home attendee with only 2 good seasons under his belt. They gave up two top 10 prospects (IMO) to acquire him. Those types of assets should be excluded for pitchers that are controllable and in their prime years.
2 good seasons and one elite one in which he was better than any pitcher currently in their prime. After he had won the Cy Young. At a time when the BoSox and Yanks both suck, giving them the chance to actually do something in the postseason. In all of this we forget to mention TDA's injuries and age- he's not a 20 year old phenom. Syndergaard is even more of an unknown as pitching prospects regularly fall apart. Deal makes tons of sense for TOR.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:17 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
2 good seasons and one elite one in which he was better than any pitcher currently in their prime. After he had won the Cy Young. At a time when the BoSox and Yanks both suck, giving them the chance to actually do something in the postseason. In all of this we forget to mention TDA's injuries and age- he's not a 20 year old phenom. Syndergaard is even more of an unknown as pitching prospects regularly fall apart. Deal makes tons of sense for TOR.
I've never come across a '20-year old phenom' catcher. For the position he plays, d'Arnaud is one of the most valuable prospects in the game.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree, but that's not really a great thing. Besides Posey, and Mauer there's really no other catchers who are franchise talents. If you can play decent defense and have an OPS above .800, you're already an all-star catcher. D'Arnaud is great but let's not act like he's going to dominate the league by any means- he's going to be a very good player at a position that doesn't have many very good players, which is definitely big, if he pans out. But again, he's 24 and has already had two pretty significant injuries in his career.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Krams
Scalloped Potatoes

Quote:
I agree, but that's not really a great thing. Besides Posey, and Mauer there's really no other catchers who are franchise talents. If you can play decent defense and have an OPS above .800, you're already an all-star catcher. D'Arnaud is great but let's not act like he's going to dominate the league by any means- he's going to be a very good player at a position that doesn't have many very good players, which is definitely big, if he pans out. But again, he's 24 and has already had two pretty significant injuries in his career.
Injuries are always a risk with a catcher. That will never change and shouldn't be a deterrent from developing a young one.

You can basically sign a first-baseman with good defense and a .800+ OPS for league minimum. You pay out the ass for the same production out of a catcher. Which is why having a young kid like d'Arnaud is so exciting. I don't think there's really any particular argument I'm making here, I'm just rambling.

Excited for an infield including Wright, Davis, and d'Arnaud. The outfield and MI are the next piece of the puzzle. Not overly-enthusiastic about Nimmo or Kirk. Murphy probably isn't a second-baseman.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:51 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree, I'm very excited about d'Arnaud. But it's unfair to Dickey and the clinic he put on the entirety of last year to say it was a fleece. Hopefully both sides benefit, as I'd love to see RA and Jose do damage in the playoffs. Also, to defend Nimmo since even Gary inadvertently crapped on him when praising Fernandez a few games ago, his slash line this season is fantastic. Again, only 5 games, but he just turned 20 and I think he definitely has potential to be an above average CFer, especially when he figures out how to hit lefties better (which is a matter of if, really, and imo the biggest slight against him becoming a good major leaguer.)

Old
04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Stop forgetting Fulmer!!!
i like him but jake degrom may very well be a true sleeper.

had "the" surgery but is back healthy and can bring it. at 6'4 hes got a live arm and a nice assortment of stuff he can throw for strikes. if he can add a few pounds and with his stuff, he may very well be another top of the rotation guy.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:19 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I felt the need to bump this thread with a weekly reminder...Matt Harvey is and continues to be awesome. That is all.

He's 3rd all time in strikeouts after first 12 career starts. Pedro Martinez and Dwight Gooden are 1-2.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:19 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Gee vs lee tonite

Tough assignment but you gotta love Dillon.

Lets go. Mets !!

Old
04-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

7 more runs for the much maligned Yankees lineup, and it's only the 4th inning. This team can still hit

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Old
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
7 more runs for the much maligned Yankees lineup, and it's only the 4th inning. This team can still hit
Nice to see them build off the win over Verlander. The top 3 in the lineup tonight had an insane game. Gardner, Cano, and Youk.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Yankees gotta keep it up. Loving this. I hope the injured guys fare well and get back soon but I'm loving this output by Youkilis so far. We can still hit.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:30 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
He's 3rd all time in strikeouts after first 12 career starts. Pedro Martinez and Dwight Gooden are 1-2.
3rd all time regarding Met pitchers, not in all of MLB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Yankees gotta keep it up. Loving this. I hope the injured guys fare well and get back soon but I'm loving this output by Youkilis so far. We can still hit.
The mercenaries the Yanks brought in are delivering. I never lost faith in overcoming the injuries, Girardi is a fantastic coach that seems to make the right moves with what he has.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:57 AM
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFW View Post
Excited for an infield including Wright, Davis, and d'Arnaud. The outfield and MI are the next piece of the puzzle. Not overly-enthusiastic about Nimmo or Kirk. Murphy probably isn't a second-baseman.
I like Tejada at SS. But I agree about Muprhy. He's swinging the bat better, but he just doesn't look right as a 2B, and I doubt he's got a long term future with the Mets. Would love to see Wilmer Flores get some time this year and see how he does at 2B.

Bullpen obviously need help but I'm hoping with all of these pitching prospects (Familia, Menjia, Fulmer, Montero) some of them can make a transition to be relievers.

Outfield obviously needs work. Kirk has flashes but isn't consistent. Duda can't field to save his life. Valdespin is a headcase and also is questionable in the field. Nimmo is a big question mark after last year. Free Agency might be the best bet to fix the outfield for the Mets.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:36 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKev6D9 View Post
I like Tejada at SS. But I agree about Muprhy. He's swinging the bat better, but he just doesn't look right as a 2B, and I doubt he's got a long term future with the Mets. Would love to see Wilmer Flores get some time this year and see how he does at 2B.

Bullpen obviously need help but I'm hoping with all of these pitching prospects (Familia, Menjia, Fulmer, Montero) some of them can make a transition to be relievers.

Outfield obviously needs work. Kirk has flashes but isn't consistent. Duda can't field to save his life. Valdespin is a headcase and also is questionable in the field. Nimmo is a big question mark after last year. Free Agency might be the best bet to fix the outfield for the Mets.
I think Murph is fine at second. If he can provide consistent offense, his average at best fielding plays fine. His range is okay, he makes the routine plays, occasionally makes a really good one. Flores is interesting, but let's remember that Murphy is a natural 3B and played that position better than Flores ever has. I can't see how Flores is going to be a defensive improvement there. Obviously we'll never know until we try, but I'd advise against getting our hopes up.

I don't know why people are down on Nimmo. His speed isn't as it was advertised, which makes it unlikely that he'll see time in center. But he has a great eye at the plate and terrific discipline for a guy his age. He's ahead of the curve in that respect for sure. The power will come and the strikeouts will drop as well. Let's remember he was drafted as a project, having not even been able to play HS baseball. The raw talent is absolutely there and I think he's shown good ability in his very brief career. I'm still very high on him.

It's just pain.
Old
04-10-2013, 12:44 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

As far as i've read Nimmo has handled CF fine defensively. I can't say i'm an avid prospect watcher though so i'll take your word for it- even then a guy who does what he can do will be a very good corner OFer.

Only thing worrisome right now (again, only 30 AB's so SSS galore) is a high BABIP, but last year he had a sustainable .320 in 69 games.

I think the guy is still definitely a very good prospect, and I was upset when Gary downplayed him to bolster Fernandez.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:34 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
3rd all time regarding Met pitchers, not in all of MLB.

It was in all of MLB. They had Pedro Martinez at the top of the list.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
It was in all of MLB. They had Pedro Martinez at the top of the list.
Harvey now has 89 strikeouts in his first 12 starts, third only behind Pedro Martinez and Dwight Gooden in club history through a dozen starts.

That's what I was told.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Oof. Besides Niese and Harvey, i'm not confident in any of our starting pitching, personally.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:06 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Oof. Besides Niese and Harvey, i'm not confident in any of our starting pitching, personally.
Be patient.

Wheeler and Syndergaard are coming.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

Wheeler and TdA for Stanton???????? All over the papers and internet today...Dont know how I feel about this??

Old
04-11-2013, 11:33 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Nothing I've read indicates that there was any proposal or any real rumor here. Just that the Mets are monitoring Florida to see if they'd move Stanton, and that Alderson would consider including those two players in a deal for him. It's speculation, not rumor.

EDIT: If that was a real, potential trade, I'd do it and not think twice.

Closed Thread