HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Stepan Version 2.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Derek Stepan Version 2.0

Continue here.......

Old
04-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
After last night, Step continues to pad those stats. He still leads all American Centers in virtually every important statistical category other than FO.

04-09-2013, 02:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He's a hair below being on pace for 70 points over 82 games.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I look forward to many years of Nash and Stepan tearing it up together.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

That was a big time, clutch goal he scored last night. Really too bad the Rangers couldn't back it up.

As he was coming down on the 2-1 im SCREAMING at the TV for him to shoot, because Powe was with him and that just wouldn't have happened. I like how Step is taking control of things. After he scored, it reminded me of how he played in the worlds. He's really taken the next step in the NHL and is going to be just as money as he was in that tournament in big spots. He just seems to have that swagger about him now.

The thing about him that I just love is there are multiple times during the game where the Rangers will be running around, or he'll pick up a loose puck in traffic (he just finds the right areas of the ice to be in) when the team might not be in the greatest of positions and he'll slow it down, curl back around, calmly reset his line. It takes a special player, especially at the NHL level to do that - and it really makes a team better because it maintains possession or gets them out of that frazzled defensive state (that Rangers have had issues with that all year).

Old
04-09-2013, 04:14 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
He's a hair below being on pace for 70 points over 82 games.
Do you guys calculate this with an equation? Or is there some sort of shortened season calculator?

Old
04-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
Do you guys calculate this with an equation? Or is there some sort of shortened season calculator?
Points/games played * Total games in a season.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
do you guys calculate this with an equation? Or is there some sort of shortened season calculator?
(33/39)x82=69.38

Old
04-09-2013, 04:17 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...13&view=splits

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
04-09-2013, 04:18 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Well I feel stupid.

Math was never my forte

Old
04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
As he was coming down on the 2-1 im SCREAMING at the TV for him to shoot, because Powe was with him and that just wouldn't have happened. I like how Step is taking control of things. After he scored, it reminded me of how he played in the worlds. He's really taken the next step in the NHL and is going to be just as money as he was in that tournament in big spots. He just seems to have that swagger about him now..
It's been exciting watching that level of play translate to the NHL.
He was a total game changer in that tournament.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Ail
k.

Man, for the past two seasons I've been quietly thinking to myself that this kid was probably the most overrated player on the team, at least by the boards standards. This coming from someone who was pretty high on him after the WJC.

I'm glad to say Stepan has fed me platefuls of crow this season. Loving his game right now. He's playing like a great 2c and serviceable 1c, right about where he was projected. That's great news going forward.

04-09-2013, 06:36 PM
nyrage

What I like about Stepan is that he always finds the right place on the ice for a scoring chance. Sometimes I think he hesitates a split second or his stick isn't positioned at the right angle. If he improves a little more on capitalizing on his scoring chances, he can easily develop into a point per game first line center. He's almost there already. What a tremendous year in his development.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

2 threads, but he deserves 10.

I love Stepan because I find him very relatable. Watching him on Beginnings, he just seems like a normal early 20's kid who likes to goof off, eat cheetos, and play xbox. Someone I would be bros with.

And then this goofball goes ape **** on the ice and you're like "where does that come from?"

I think it's awesome.

"It's Mario Götze!" -Ian Darke
Old
04-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
2 threads, but he deserves 10.

I love Stepan because I find him very relatable. Watching him on Beginnings, he just seems like a normal early 20's kid who likes to goof off, eat cheetos, and play xbox. Someone I would be bros with.

And then this goofball goes ape **** on the ice and you're like "where does that come from?"

I think it's awesome.
You would be bros with someone who listens to High School Musical and tap dances?

Just kidding. Stepan seems like a very likeable guy.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:52 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Man, for the past two seasons I've been quietly thinking to myself that this kid was probably the most overrated player on the team, at least by the boards standards. This coming from someone who was pretty high on him after the WJC.

I'm glad to say Stepan has fed me platefuls of crow this season. Loving his game right now. He's playing like a great 2c and serviceable 1c, right about where he was projected. That's great news going forward.
This.

His rookie and sophomore season he rarely showed the abilities that made him special in college. He was frequently invisible and had the benefit of playing with a 40 goal scorer.

This year though. This is the Stepan from college and the WJC (where he was easily the best player, and IMO the most dominant forward in recent memory in the tournament). His playmaking on the power play needs a little work, but 5 on 5 and shorthanded his two-way game is superb. He strips pucks and intercepts passes similar to Datsyuk and Hossa.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
Flavius
Da Gawd

vCash: 100
Loved him since day 1. Now he's playing like a total stud. If it wasn't for him and Nash I don't even know where we'd be. He also looks like he's simply having a good time out there.

And to think I was worried about my own personal "jersey curse" when I ordered a blue Stepan back in September.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:35 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
You would be bros with someone who listens to High School Musical and tap dances?

Just kidding. Stepan seems like a very likeable guy.
He's a character that's for sure

But that's what I mean he's just this quirky guy off the ice but he's such a badass on the ice, it's really cool.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
He's a character that's for sure

But that's what I mean he's just this quirky guy off the ice but he's such a badass on the ice, it's really cool.
I wasn't here when he was drafted, but people were seriously bashing him 5 minutes after being drafted because he said he likes tap dancing.

But we passed on Jared Staal! Oh what could have been!

Old
04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
I wasn't here when he was drafted, but people were seriously bashing him 5 minutes after being drafted because he said he likes tap dancing.

But we passed on Jared Staal! Oh what could have been!
This place is always funny on draft day because fans of every team just go completely off on these kids who are 17, 18 years of age like their whole career is written and in reality outside of 1 or 2 can't misses every year nobody knows anything about how they'll turn out

Old
04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
This place is always funny on draft day because fans of every team just go completely off on these kids who are 17, 18 years of age like their whole career is written and in reality outside of 1 or 2 can't misses every year nobody knows anything about how they'll turn out
Not to mention all of our "scouts."

Old
04-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

He's playing like a seasoned veteran. So much poise and leadership. He has grown leaps and bounds playing with Nash and I'm sure Richards has taught him a few things. I never thought he'd be this dominating. Hopefully it'll stay this way for years to come.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:25 AM
SnowblindNYR

Hey guys check out the poll section. There's a poll about who is better Henrique or Stepan. People ARE STILL saying Henrique is better now and in the future. Henrique has 4 assists in 34 games. He's on pace for half the points of Stepan. Brian Boyle btw has 3 assists in 35 games, LMAO! I don't even have a problem people saying Henrique in the future, but NOW? Oh and Step is on pace for 5 more goals and is +16 better than him in +/-.

Old
04-10-2013, 05:49 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Hey guys check out the poll section. There's a poll about who is better Henrique or Stepan. People ARE STILL saying Henrique is better now and in the future. Henrique has 4 assists in 34 games. He's on pace for half the points of Stepan. Brian Boyle btw has 3 assists in 35 games, LMAO! I don't even have a problem people saying Henrique in the future, but NOW? Oh and Step is on pace for 5 more goals and is +16 better than him in +/-.
Some players tend to just stay underrated. Take a look at Stepan: He isn't big, nor really physical, nor is his skating great. His shot isn't that great either. BUT the guy probably has one of the best senses for hockey in the league right now. Top 10 good. A lot of people overlook that.
The other day, when Leafs fans came in here, wowing Nash, I felt Steps' game was just as good. Doing the little things unnoticed.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:15 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Some players tend to just stay underrated. Take a look at Stepan: He isn't big, nor really physical, nor is his skating great. His shot isn't that great either. BUT the guy probably has one of the best senses for hockey in the league right now. Top 10 good. A lot of people overlook that.
The other day, when Leafs fans came in here, wowing Nash, I felt Steps' game was just as good. Doing the little things unnoticed.
I think Stepan's shot is now above average.

Closed Thread