HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the deal, or lack thereof, with JT?

Old
04-09-2013, 02:16 AM
ktrio730

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ktrio730
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
I don't think the op meant that JT isn't producing, but he definitely does not look like he is having fun out there. Most of the guys seem to be relishing the hot play and winning but he seems to be playing with an angry edge and I don't think it's helping him. Honestly, he doesn't seem happy and I know it's the end of one season but if the Isles can't bust into the playoffs this year I don't see JT sticking around when his contract expires.
Yes, this was way more in line with what I was bringing up. Well said. One thing is I'm not worried about the contract though. But it does look like he just pissed off a large portion on the time, and sometimes it does border into him looking like he's crying for calls on the ice and little things like that. It just flat out looks like he is not happy out there.

JT is and has been the most crucial part of our success, and I believe the emergence of the 2nd line was PERFECT timing with the slump of Moulson/Boyes and a little JT. He is a world class superstar, and when that line starts clicking again, we will be even more dangerous than we are right now.

ktrio730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:08 AM
LeapOnOver
Tavares' new RW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post
Yes, this was way more in line with what I was bringing up. Well said. One thing is I'm not worried about the contract though. But it does look like he just pissed off a large portion on the time, and sometimes it does border into him looking like he's crying for calls on the ice and little things like that. It just flat out looks like he is not happy out there.

JT is and has been the most crucial part of our success, and I believe the emergence of the 2nd line was PERFECT timing with the slump of Moulson/Boyes and a little JT. He is a world class superstar, and when that line starts clicking again, we will be even more dangerous than we are right now.
Yeah, I still can't chalk up the 2nd line as playing this way forever because they have just been too inconsistent in the past and I don't want to get my hopes up. But like I said in another post the chemistry is so good on the 3rd and 4th lines that if the 1st line gets back to form and the 2nd can hold on to this domination we will certainly be firing on all cylinders and at just the right time. It seems like once again this team is bordering on legitimate success and it will be very interesting to see how it plays out (especially in the playoffs).

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:16 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post

I hope they get going again because Okposo and Bailey arent going to carry us forever.

Ive noticed his frustration/whinning lately. He needs to get away from teh refs and start playing again. It doesnt help that he has no one to play with...just adds to the frustration. They are asking alot of him, but if he wants to be the C and a "superstar" then those are the expectations.

Crosby went through some crazy whinning stages...but seems to have matured from them (not completely). Maybe JT will to. He is only 22.

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Found this video and I thought it was pretty cool. He's deadly in tight for a reason...
great find! That's NHL-type scoring, the kind that Tambellini (who had one of the best shots in the NHL) could never learn to score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Timer View Post
Look at how Kyle and Josh never stop moving out there. JT is tri poding when hitting the blue line. In the hopes his line mates back in the D. But the D are stepping up on him. Away from the puck JT is trying to get in the sweat spots but not creating lanes. Some times when you try to open yourself up you drift out of the sight of your teamates working the puck. And way to many blind passes.
The second gear is not gone its just every other player is working their tail off to stop him. Line mates aside JT needs to focus on grinding it out andworking through this.
great post. Imagine how much stronger, and more dangerous JT is with Matt Martin and Jesse Joensuu digging and cycling down low. Even ONE of those guys, along with Matt Moulson (who'd deadly in the slot) would be fine (though I'd save Moulson for the PP)

Great point about Bailey-Okposo but they have LEARNED to play that way. Maybe Capuano gets some credit, lord knows we blame him for the lazy players. I don't know but it's a ginormous difference in their on-ice effectiveness. Makes the Islanders really tough to play against, when you have your top offensive players playing the hardest, all over the ice.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:44 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

JT needs TWO new wingers!! Not the usual, try 100 different right wingers with Tavares and Moulson. It's time to get Mouslon off of that line. I understand Bailey and Okposo are playing well on the Nielsen line, but getting JT rolling would really help this team.. and I think it's finally time to give Bailey top line minutes with Tavares... Put either Okposo or Martin opposite Bailey....

either:

Martin Tavares Bailey or........

Bailey Tavares Okposo

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
PK Cronin
Bailey Fan Club Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
JT needs TWO new wingers!! Not the usual, try 100 different right wingers with Tavares and Moulson. It's time to get Mouslon off of that line. I understand Bailey and Okposo are playing well on the Nielsen line, but getting JT rolling would really help this team.. and I think it's finally time to give Bailey top line minutes with Tavares... Put either Okposo or Martin opposite Bailey....

either:

Martin Tavares Bailey or........

Bailey Tavares Okposo
Can't really do that at this stage because you're gong to severely weaken the back lines, which is something you don't want to do. Tavares has been getting a point or so during this cold stretch of his, so you have to leave it be.

If you start moving Martin, Bailey, Okposo, etc., it's really going to weaken the 4th line and the 2nd line tremendously. Imagine Anders Lee playing with either Moulson or Boyes? or anyone who would be bumped down for being horrible defensively or unwilling to grind it out...it would be atrocious.

The only move that can be made is to put JJ up there and scratch someone or flip Boyes/Moulson with Grabner. That's all I would realistically try at this point.

PK Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:56 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandHockey36 View Post
The referees aren't calling anything when it comes to Tavares being tripped up or having the stick slashed out of his hands.

If this were Baby Crosby or Stamkos, there would be calls left and right every time that occurred.

It is called Tavares being overtly frustrated with the lack of respect he gets around the league.
he did get a phantom assist though.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:00 PM
scott99

Listen, there needs to be accountability by JT himself.

First 13 games 11 goals 9 assists 20 points 1.54 points per game
Next 27 games 12 goals 8 assists 20 points 0.74 points per game.

Same linemates.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
The only move that can be made is to put JJ up there and scratch someone or flip Boyes/Moulson with Grabner. That's all I would realistically try at this point.
it would have to be moulson. grabs and moulson have been completely incompatibe (and way to soft and terribad along the boards).

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post

Same linemates.
JT is carrying the entire line by himself. I don't see Boyes really making anything happen and Moulson always has been the guy just to finish around the net.

He has nobody to play off of and until Strome he gets promoted it's going to all be on JT.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:40 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
JT is carrying the entire line by himself. I don't see Boyes really making anything happen and Moulson always has been the guy just to finish around the net.

He has nobody to play off of and until Strome he gets promoted it's going to all be on JT.
I'm sorry, but you have to find a way to fight through it if you're a star. Look at Ovechkin, his first 16 games he had 5 goals, he fought through his slump and now leads the league in goal scoring. Tavares is pouting because he's not scoring points. He shouldn't be pouting, because the team is winning and in a playoff race, he should be happy that there finally is some secondary scoring. As a competitor, this should spur him on to produce better. Yes Moulson is struggling somewhat as well, but that goes hand in hand with Tavares, if one struggles, they both struggle. We need that whole line to wake the **** up, if we want a chance of making the playoffs.

JT, you wanna be the man, prove it !

Old
04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post

Boyes first 13 games 4 goals 6 assists 10 points
his last 27 games 5 goals 14 assists 19 points

Moulson first 13 games 6 goals 7 assists 13 points
his last 27 games 6 goals 18 assists 24 points

Now you tell me how Moulson and Boyes are holding back Tavares, when Boyes has ONE LESS point than Tavares the last 27 games, and Moulson has FOUR MORE points than Tavares the last 27 games. Sorry fellas, your theory doesn't hold water. Tavares needs to pick up his game.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:54 PM
periferal

Quote:

Same linemates.

And what are the "linemates" scoring totals over the same games?

I mean we really must have elevated Tavares to superstar status here if 20 points in 27 games is subpar. If anyone else on the team put up those kind of numbers we'd be doing cartwheels.

The unfortunate truth is that other teams gameplan for Tavares so he creates space/chances for others when he's on the ice. Moulson & Boyer certainly cannot make the same claim. Therefore until we get another legit threat on JT's wing you're going to see "slumps" of 0.74 points/game.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Boyes first 13 games 4 goals 6 assists 10 points
his last 27 games 5 goals 14 assists 19 points

Moulson first 13 games 6 goals 7 assists 13 points
his last 27 games 6 goals 18 assists 24 points

Now you tell me how Moulson and Boyes are holding back Tavares, when Boyes has ONE LESS point than Tavares the last 27 games, and Moulson has FOUR MORE points than Tavares the last 27 games. Sorry fellas, your theory doesn't hold water. Tavares needs to pick up his game.
Try watching the games instead of looking at the stats. Boyes is turning the puck over like crazy and Moulson has been completely snakebit. I have seen at least 10 times over the past 20 games or so that he has missed the net on a great setup.

Also not sure how you split the season into 13/27 since there have only been 39 games.

Oh, and JT had 20 points in the first 14 games, not 13, and has 20 points in the 25 games since, not 27.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:23 PM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
And what are the "linemates" scoring totals over the same games?
Moulson has TWO even strength goals in the last 32 games. Boyes has SIX.

They were good on the PP early in the season, they have gotten worse and worse 5on5 especially.

I'm with scott99 that JT needs to be better. He hasn't played well over the last couple of weeks, except for a few times here and there - but he's been BY FAR the best player on his line all year, and the only one who's been TRYING all year.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:03 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Try watching the games instead of looking at the stats. Boyes is turning the puck over like crazy and Moulson has been completely snakebit. I have seen at least 10 times over the past 20 games or so that he has missed the net on a great setup.

Also not sure how you split the season into 13/27 since there have only been 39 games.

Oh, and JT had 20 points in the first 14 games, not 13, and has 20 points in the 25 games since, not 27.
Whatever, my stats were off by 1 game, who cares. I am watching as many games as I can (about 95%). My eyes, nor do the stats lie, Tavares has not dominated in a LONG time. a goal here (empty net), a phantom assist there.

20 points in 14 games 1.43 ppg
20 points in 25 games 0.80 ppg

Tell me which Tavares you prefer ? Or, to state it plainly, he has the same amount of points in the last 25 games, that he had in 11 less games. He's GOT to step it up or we are doomed.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Sheva7
Work Hahd Play Smaht

No doubt, he's definitly in a funk and is capable of much more. Right now he's playing like a star. But that's not good enough cause he's better than a star, he's a super duper star.
This is the same guy who could have been 'player of the game' in just about every game he played in last season. So its obvious it's something he's going to have to battle through.

Having better line mates may help, but I don't think they are completely to blame for the drop off. I hope he figures it out.

Sheva7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

Quote:
Whatever, my stats were off by 1 game, who cares. I am watching as many games as I can (about 95%). My eyes, nor do the stats lie, Tavares has not dominated in a LONG time. a goal here (empty net), a phantom assist there.

20 points in 14 games 1.43 ppg
20 points in 25 games 0.80 ppg

Tell me which Tavares you prefer ? Or, to state it plainly, he has the same amount of points in the last 25 games, that he had in 11 less games. He's GOT to step it up or we are doomed.
Oddly enough, the Isles' hot streak seems to coincide with Tavares' "slump".

Isles record in the first 14 games of the season where Tavares was on fire:
6-7-1

Isles record in the last 25 games where Tavares is struggling a bit:
13-9-3

The records are a bit surprising, especially given that fans believed that the only way the Isles make the playoffs is if Tavares carries them.

In the long-run, I think this is a good thing for the Isles. It's showing they can win games even when Tavares isn't at his best, and that when he does come around, they'll be that much more difficult to beat.

On a side note: I think the Isles' record with Visnovsky in the lineup is the biggest indicator of how much adding that extra top four defenseman meant for the club. Visnovsky's presence seems to be the biggest difference between last year's club and this year's.

Isles' record without Visnovsky:
5-5-2

Isles' record with Visnovsky:
14-11-2

Of note, the Isles lost the first two games Visnovsky played in after joining from over seas. If you remove those games to give him a bit of a benefit of the doubt getting used to new teammates/systems, the Isles' record is 14-9-2 once he got situated.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:33 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

this seems to happen to JT every season. He starts off amazing, cools off for a little bit mid season, and finishes strong.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Oddly enough, the Isles' hot streak seems to coincide with Tavares' "slump".

Isles record in the first 14 games of the season where Tavares was on fire:
6-7-1

Isles record in the last 25 games where Tavares is struggling a bit:
13-9-3

The records are a bit surprising, especially given that fans believed that the only way the Isles make the playoffs is if Tavares carries them.

In the long-run, I think this is a good thing for the Isles. It's showing they can win games even when Tavares isn't at his best, and that when he does come around, they'll be that much more difficult to beat.

On a side note: I think the Isles' record with Visnovsky in the lineup is the biggest indicator of how much adding that extra top four defenseman meant for the club. Visnovsky's presence seems to be the biggest difference between last year's club and this year's.

Isles' record without Visnovsky:
5-5-2

Isles' record with Visnovsky:
14-11-2

Of note, the Isles lost the first two games Visnovsky played in after joining from over seas. If you remove those games to give him a bit of a benefit of the doubt getting used to new teammates/systems, the Isles' record is 14-9-2 once he got situated.
Oddly enough - Tavares was carrying the team on his back early in the year, he had great numbers, but wasn't even playing that great. He had much room for growth in his game. He was scoring highlight reel goals, a lot off the rush. Deadly shots on the PP. but very few ugly goals that he usually scores. Which is why I was sure he would continue and even increase his scoring pace.

But he has really slumped lately. it's partially on him, he needs to find a way to produce, but I've said the whole year, he has the worst possible linemates on the Islanders - any other two forwards would be better (5on5 anyway)

The main reason the other lines work so well and are carrying the islanders is simply because they outwork and outhit teams. It's all effort and cycling and forcing mistakes. The one thing Boyes and Moulson simply don't do.

Agree in your Visnovsky point but Hickey's been very good as well. Better with increased minutes

The other big factor is Bailey - he's been outstanding and has helped Okposo come to life. Those two have given the Isles a whole new dimension.

isles are 7-1-1 in their last nine, only allowing more than two goals once, in a 4-3 win. Their battle level and commitment to defense has been incredible, something I never thought the team was capable of.

Last edited by redbull: 04-09-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 10:51 PM
FourRings

JT has been getting roughed up a bit out there. While I do agree there are a lot of calls he should be getting, his defensemen should be stepping up and protecting him.

FourRings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

I've noticed that whenever they're in the middle of a line change & he's out there with KO & Bailey, he seems to have an extra jump in his step. I think he's grown tired of being the only workhorse on his line.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
JT has been getting roughed up a bit out there. While I do agree there are a lot of calls he should be getting, his defensemen should be stepping up and protecting him.
THIS! Could you imagine if somebody did that to Crosby? My biggest pet peeve with this team is they don't stick up for each other. Martin said a while ago that the staff didn't want him to fight (he let it slip in an interview).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Islanderfan17

I still don't understand why they insist on keeping Boyes there. Yes, he'll get the occasional points, but it's overshadowed by the fact that he kills momentum 75% of the time he is out there, turns the puck over constantly, and is absolutely brutal and careless defensively. I have been watching him at all the home games during this little winning streak, he has been by far our most useless player. Fill his spot with someone who works hard and can create space for JT, and we will have 4 truly strong lines.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
How many goals have the Isles given up during JT's "slump"?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote