HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Making the playoffs doesn't matter. Having an improved team which fights on does.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
I have to refute your point that the OP is Dan Tencer?

Don't think anyone said a damn thing about everything being "rosy"...carry on though. Dozens of threads are dedicated to ranting and raving on this forum, and along comes one that actually isn't and you just won't stand for it.

Well done.
Because things aren't rosy. They really aren't. Hey I applaud Thadd for voicing his opinion and making his post. This team has a LOT of potential as far as about a half zone really good looking young players. It makes it all the more important that management can actually add to the team and more importantly have a team culture that will help them, not turn them into the next Jason Arnott.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Because things aren't rosy. They really aren't. Hey I applaud Thadd for voicing his opinion and making his post. This team has a LOT of potential as far as about a half zone really good looking young players. It makes it all the more important that management can actually add to the team and more importantly have a team culture that will help them, not turn them into the next Jason Arnott.
And that's why you referred to him as one of the most reviled personalities on this forum?

Curious, to say the least...

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post

Hall-RNH-Eberle: Yeah not being split up ever again

X-Gagner-Yakupov: Need a bigger guy who will drive the net

Paajarvi-Horcoff-Hemsky: Really like this as a two way third line for heavy minute... Horc and Hemmer have played the toughs their whole careers... MPS has shown he can too and he has the speed to keep up... MPS and Hemmer also showed o.k. chemistry

Petrell-Lander-Brown: Brown we know what we brings now... Petrell is our best PK forward... Lander should fit snug on that unit beginning next year... lots of smarts responsibility defensive ability... typical shut down unit

I came to post my positivity... at least what I can muster. Thanks Thadd for the OP.

I'm also of the opinion that this has been a successful growth year. The young core needed to taste these games... much better still if they made the playoffs, but tasting the defeat this late in the season... getting physically overmatched. This is going to make them angry.

If they'd played this season with a full complement of grinding 3rd and 4rth liners they might have had a different experience. But as it is, it may have been an advantage that they played on such a soft team. I'm sure it left an impression on each one to i) focus on building strength and ii) no-one is going to bail them out but themselves.

So I'm confident in our young guys to continue to drive our improvement for next year. That's not going to be the problem. A bottom six like you describe up there is the problem.

On paper it looks ok, but is completely NOT complementary to our top 6. It needs to compensate for their weaknesses so they can focus on their strengths. We must, must populate our third line with solid, ES players that can grind it out. We need an MGM line... that line was not populated with failed or aging 1st liners. It was populated with guys who always knew the only way they'd make it is as outscorers... grinding it out and masking the fact that they have limited skill.

It's going to take time to make that turnover happen... likely two years at least.

In the meantime I expect us to get halfway through that turnover next year.... that will likely be enough (when combined with our younguns) to make the playoffs. The following year, we replace the rest of the dead weight and make a run deeper.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:26 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Making the playoffs does matter. At this point, with about 1000 days pasted since the rebuild started, the team should have enough good players to make the playoffs. The problem is the sheer number of players on this team who are not good enough to drive play out of their own zone and into the offensive zone to generate shots.

There are a handful of players on the team that are actively helping the team win games each time they're on the ice: Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Horcoff, Smid. Even Smid has some terrible numbers for a top minute D-man.

Look, I'm glad the team isn't going to finish 30th. That's improvement. But I'm also really pissed off that the Oilers haven't been able to fix the glaring holes in the team. It's almost like management watched the 8-2 victory in Calgary and thought "This team can be awesome! We don't need to bring other guys in, these players are more than good enough they just need more time together."

The reality is we need significant upgrades for the minutes played by Hemsky, Gagner, Petry, Whitney, Jones and Smyth.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:41 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Making the playoffs does matter. At this point, with about 1000 days pasted since the rebuild started, the team should have enough good players to make the playoffs. The problem is the sheer number of players on this team who are not good enough to drive play out of their own zone and into the offensive zone to generate shots.

There are a handful of players on the team that are actively helping the team win games each time they're on the ice: Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, Horcoff, Smid. Even Smid has some terrible numbers for a top minute D-man.

Look, I'm glad the team isn't going to finish 30th. That's improvement. But I'm also really pissed off that the Oilers haven't been able to fix the glaring holes in the team. It's almost like management watched the 8-2 victory in Calgary and thought "This team can be awesome! We don't need to bring other guys in, these players are more than good enough they just need more time together."

The reality is we need significant upgrades for the minutes played by Hemsky, Gagner, Petry, Whitney, Jones and Smyth.
we are 3 years into the rebuild==rebuild started with the Hall draft--it has taken a few years to get rid of much of the dead weight and we need to cut some players still.

But too many posters are looking at the current roster and not the farm-- the gusy we have taken outside the first round are struggling and we are starting to toss more and more guys taken in the top 100 onto the suspect list

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

2011: 62 points
2012: 74 points
2013: on pace for 82 points in a full season.

As frustrating as it is to watch, we are making notable progress. Next year we can be pissed if we miss the playoffs.

Samwise Gagner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:23 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
2011: 62 points
2012: 74 points
2013: on pace for 82 points in a full season.

As frustrating as it is to watch, we are making notable progress. Next year we can be pissed if we miss the playoffs.
So far I agree with this. However, it would be nice to see what the season projects to in a few weeks. Know what I mean? Lots of tough games at the end stretch.

Having said that, the goal this year was to get out of the bottom five and even be in the conversation about playoffs at some point. I guess we have done that. Now it's all about the guys playing hard the rest of the way because we don't want to see another death march to the last game.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

The current core is capable of winning a cup, IMO -- probably multiple cups. It's undoubtedly the best group of talent under 25 years old anywhere on the planet.

Even beyond a powerforwrard, the biggest need, IMO, is another minute-eating top four blueliner.

That being said, my prediction at the beginning of the year was for a 8th place finish in the West with DET finishing out of the playoffs.

EDM has a favorable home:away remaining schedule. DET and the rest of the those teams chasing them, not so much.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 04-09-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: link
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote