HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Scouts

Old
04-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Nitehowl

vCash: 500
Habs Scouts

I was just reading a 2010 thread where Habs had just hired Ryan Jankowski as a scout from the NYI.
It had mentioned how well he had done drafting for NYI plus he was assistant GM there. I haven't read much on these boards about him and what he has done here .

I thought this might be a good idea to post any notes here on our scouts .... any stories you have read on chats you may have had with any of the front office or scouts out in the field.

I seen a twitter message from Dave Stubbs about a in depth chat he had with Patrice Brisebois about all our prospects but haven't found it yet.

Hopefully we can keep this thread updated and on front page

I know Trevor Timmins gets all the attention but all these other scouts are scouring the globe for our draft picks...

Last edited by Nitehowl: 04-10-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:38 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Not a chat, but something I noticed is that Ethan Morreau is the Habs scout in the West, and played with Davis Drewiskey when they won the cup last year. I guess that explains why the org. were so high on him. Probably got good reports from Moreau

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
I think we hired Donald Audette to scout the Q and another guy for the USHL but I can't remember his name for some reason...

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Jankowski scouts Western Canada for the Habs. Tim Bozon is a player he was all over, apparently. Bozon said he went to eat lunch with him during the draft year and such.

Full list of scouts available here: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=52816

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:49 PM
canadiensnation
The Drive for 25.

List of the Habs Scouts

Last edited by canadiensnation: 04-09-2013 at 05:33 PM.
canadiensnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Jankowski scouts Western Canada for the Habs. Tim Bozon is a player he was all over, apparently. Bozon said he went to eat lunch with him during the draft year and such.

Full list of scouts available here: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=52816
i didnt know Patrice Brisebois was yours Player Development Coach

Krnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

This is excellent,just what I was hoping for in this thread. Little tidbits about scouts or about why scouts liked a certain draft pick. They don't get much fanfare or recognition for working in the trenches but any info just helps bring a full understanding to the pick or trade like the DD trade.

In that Jankowski thread he had talked about how and why they drafted Anders Lee with the last pick in the 2009 draft.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

We don't have a scout for Sweden Alone ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:36 PM
canadiensnation
The Drive for 25.

Lou Jankowski (Father of Ryan Jankowski)

Lou's passion for hockey was shared with his family. A son, Ryan Jankowski, is currently an amateur scout with the Montreal Canadians and previously served as the Assistant General Manager of the New York Islanders, where he was responsible for drafting Josh Bailey and John Tavares, among others. His other son, Len Jankowski, was a talented hockey player in the NCAA for Cornell University during the late 1970s and early 1980s.

Lou, also a gifted baseball player, was offered a contract with the St. Louis Cardinals, but realized there were 13 Jankowskis in their system and thought little of his chances. His grandson, Mark Jankowski, was drafted in the 1st round, 21st overall in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
We don't have a scout for Sweden Alone ?
Rockstrom works Sweden, but it seems like he does other countries too.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

When Gauthier took over GM 2010, he fired a bunch of scouts, I remember there was a thread on here made by someone: maybe a family remember of one of the scouts or something, saying that Gauthier was firing everyone because of cost cuts and so forth.

But it turns out that Gauthier was just replacing them with other scouts, one of them was Ryan Jankowski

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...7_accueil_POS3

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534973

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
When Gauthier took over GM 2010, he fired a bunch of scouts, I remember there was a thread on here made by someone: maybe a family remember of one of the scouts or something, saying that Gauthier was firing everyone because of cost cuts and so forth.

But it turns out that Gauthier was just replacing them with other scouts, one of them was Ryan Jankowski

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...7_accueil_POS3

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534973
We spent like 1 season with half a scouting department, including only one (maybe two, I forget) pro scout, since Gauthier insisted on doing most of the grunt work.

He probably ended up hiring more guys due to internal pressure or because he saw it wasn't working out.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:04 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
We spent like 1 season with half a scouting department, including only one (maybe two, I forget) pro scout, since Gauthier insisted on doing most of the grunt work.

He probably ended up hiring more guys due to internal pressure or because he saw it wasn't working out.
Maybe, but I think those hire were to replace who he fired, not really adding like Bergevin has been doing recently.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:

He did clear out a lot of the backroom staff but you're mixing up events. After the "mass firing" of a bunch of scouts, he hired a bunch of new ones a month later.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He did clear out a lot of the backroom staff but you're mixing up events. After the "mass firing" of a bunch of scouts, he hired a bunch of new ones a month later.
No, when I say we had half a scouting department, I mean we had 2 or 3 euro scouts, about 5 north american scouts and 1 or 2 pro scouts. That's minimal personnel for a large budget team.

We had 1 guy covering Central and Eastern Europe, along with Russia FFS.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:11 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
No, when I say we had half a scouting department, I mean we had 2 or 3 euro scouts, about 5 north american scouts and 1 or 2 pro scouts. That's minimal personnel for a large budget team.
Could be, but we've been drafting very well so if you want to ********** conjecture and Gauthier half-truths: there's a thread on the front page. I'm sure SouthernHab would love some company.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Could be, but we've been drafting very well so if you want to ********** conjecture and Gauthier half-truths: there's a thread on the front page. I'm sure SouthernHab would love some company.
So because we've done well (though it is quite premature to pretend the drafting under Gauthier has been as such), it isn't possible we could have done better with a larger scouting personnel?

No wait, that would be contrary to your opinion. Must be irrelevant.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Quote:
So because we've done well (though it is quite premature to pretend the drafting under Gauthier has been as such), it isn't possible we could have done better with a larger scouting personnel?

No wait, that would be contrary to your opinion. Must be irrelevant.
If you read your argument over again you'll realize how crazy it sounds. You're suggesting that more scouts = even better prospects! How come we haven't hired ten new scouts every week then? Hell, they should hire me!

Old
04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
If you read your argument over again you'll realize how crazy it sounds. You're suggesting that more scouts = even better prospects! How come we haven't hired ten new scouts every week then? Hell, they should hire me!
No, I read it again. You just seem like the dense type.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Nitehowl

MB

How do you think Marc Bergevin's drafts will differ from previous GM's??
Is he looking for more grit/size/speed/IQ???
More Euro's ....or more CHL players ... US College?????
If CHL ...will he favor QMJHL or WHL???? or OHL?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:47 PM
canadiensnation
The Drive for 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
My guess would be size and speed. I think they will be drafting a lot from the Western area and probably Quebec.

Last edited by canadiensnation: 04-10-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old
04-10-2013, 02:14 PM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
No I think the big diff will be that MB will let Timmons do his thing.
Bergervin will NOT over ride any Timmons picks.
Timmons would already have his orders from MB.
IF two players are of EQUAL talent you pick the Quebec player.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:59 PM
gusfring

Hopefully more emphasis on the OHL.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:34 AM
Mats86

If I was ever head scout I think I would have scouts centralized in hot spots were most good players have a history of coming from. Then rotate them every 2 months or so during the year to get 3 or 4 opinons on potential draftees. That way, for example, instead of 1 guy covering WHL all year. We have 4 of our top scouts and 4 opinions on top players in WHL and more late finds in areas were players most likely to come from.

Mats86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
If I was ever head scout I think I would have scouts centralized in hot spots were most good players have a history of coming from. Then rotate them every 2 months or so during the year to get 3 or 4 opinons on potential draftees. That way, for example, instead of 1 guy covering WHL all year. We have 4 of our top scouts and 4 opinions on top players in WHL and more late finds in areas were players most likely to come from.
I don't think you'd have very good scouts as they wouldn't want to live out of a suitcase for 6 months of the year.

The 2nd and 3rd opinions are usually from the regional scouts and head scout. If it's a 1st round candidate the GM may also go see that player. If they want a 2nd opinion before that they may send another regional scout(Ontario) to see a player or a few players out of region(West) if needed.

Where many views happen is at things like the WJHC and U18's/Ivan Hlinka and camps for those teams. Buffalo uses a lot of video to scout players, not sure if the Habs do that at all.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote