HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Niklas Backstrom, Josh Harding, Darcy Kuemper, and Johan Gustafsson, OH MY!

Old
04-09-2013, 05:29 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

vCash: 500
I think generally speaking that the more work a goalie gets (without overworking them), the sharper they become. I think with similar minutes that Kuemper or even Hackett would have similar stats to Backstrom this year. Granted Backstrom has the experience edge, but the only way to get that is to play. Hoping we go all in on Kuemper and Gustafsson and let Backstrom go for next season. I think it's time.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseSuterKoivu View Post
I think generally speaking that the more work a goalie gets (without overworking them), the sharper they become. I think with similar minutes that Kuemper or even Hackett would have similar stats to Backstrom this year. Granted Backstrom has the experience edge, but the only way to get that is to play. Hoping we go all in on Kuemper and Gustafsson and let Backstrom go for next season. I think it's time.
I'm wouldn't be thrilled with the two young guys in net next season. This is a playoff team and you need a veteran between the pipes. My hope is that Backstrom is signed for another year or two at least.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
Wait, you want to go into next season with Gustaffson, someone with no NHL games ever, and Kuemper, who has an amount of starts that I can count on my hand?
That's a horrible idea.
We need a veteran. Whether that's Backs (who in reality is the best option) or someone else, we can't go in with two youngsters.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
I'm hoping its Harding that is the backup goalie next year and that he gets better, but if doesnt who is the Wild backup goalie next year to Backstrom? Is it Kuemper? Or do the Wild look for a backup in the off season? Does Jeff Deslauriers have a chance?
Deslauriers was a body for the organization for the rest of the season, with the lack of available goalies to the organization after Hackett was traded. I would be shocked to see him remain past this season.

Harding or Kuemper could be the back-up. So could a trade or free agent signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussLindberg View Post
I am a Luleå / Flyers fan. And from what I have seen of Gustafsson the games he have played. I could almost say that he feels better than Lundquist did, before the 04-05 season when he took frölunda to their gold. Gustafsson has been splendid for Luleå, and made huge saves when most needed. ( http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1030 )

My own scouting report is that. Gustafsson is a stong and very stabile goalie, sure of hes positioning. But needs to get more ice time. He's very good beeing square to the shooter and rarely makes any mistakes. He needs to get a little bit better of using hes size to make him bigger in the net. (has a tendancy to "get small" in the net when screened or in a fast "post to post" play)

Even tough I feel that he might not be as ready for the big league as Lundquist was, his first NHL season. but with one year in AHL as a starter, and I can almost say that I am pretty sure that Gustafsson, could be the goalie that brings Minnesota to a Cup in the future.
He could very well be the goalie of the future, but I'd like to see him re-adjust to the North American ice and have a year in Houston to do so. As seen in his last WJC he really struggled at first to adapt to the smaller ice, but did get it figured out by the end. Could have his habits back playing in Sweden, hopefully he can re-adjust.

Quote:
Don't agree and given Fletcher's history of refusing to "hand-out" roster spots I know that we won't go with both Kuemper and Gustafsson. I do expect an experienced #1(Backstrom or someone else), expect a 2nd goalie with significant NHL experience(perhaps Harding if Fletcher believes in him, perhaps another round of Theodore if he wants to continue his career), likely on a 1-way contract but I could see a 2-way if Fletcher feels differently about Kuemper now than he did about Hackett last year, which he shouldn't because Hackett accomplished more than Kuemper through 2 years of pro hockey.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:01 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

Experience is important I grant you, but it's a bit overrated at the goalie position. I could list off a large number of goalies younger than Kuemper who've gotten their teams to the finals. You don't need a great goalie to win the Cup. You can get to the Finals with a middle of the pack (Niemi) to downright bad goalie (Leighton). Most all goalies are stopping around the same 90 to 91% of the shots anyways year in and year out career averages. How much is an extra 1% on their save % worth? Backstrom's save % is lower middle of the pack anyway.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:09 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
Experience is important I grant you, but it's a bit overrated at the goalie position. I could list off a large number of goalies younger than Kuemper who've gotten their teams to the finals.
Go for it.

Kaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:18 AM
goodoldhockeygame

Quote:
Experience is important I grant you, but it's a bit overrated at the goalie position. I could list off a large number of goalies younger than Kuemper who've gotten their teams to the finals. You don't need a great goalie to win the Cup. You can get to the Finals with a middle of the pack (Niemi) to downright bad goalie (Leighton). Most all goalies are stopping around the same 90 to 91% of the shots anyways year in and year out career averages. How much is an extra 1% on their save % worth? Backstrom's save % is lower middle of the pack anyway.
i think your kinda right about the pct-theorie. but more if you look at it in are regular season.

In the postseason you need every win to go far. so every savepercentage can decide if you go to the next round or exit.

And ofc its not all about savepercentage, there are goalies with pretty good stats etc. but when there are big game, they fail. Its all about making the important saves in the right time. a goalie can be a big difference and take momentum with the key saves. so i think they really need 1 veteran.

imo theres no way they could start with 2 rookies. They should sign Nikke, and have one rookie who gets enough games to develop. (Kuemper)

And Gustafsson should have one year with the aeros.....

goodoldhockeygame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:33 AM
forthewild

here is a crazy though, if Lulea wins the SEL title, wild will have a core player who's won SEL title 3 years running. 2 years ago Brodin(tho we had not drafted him yet) last year Johan Larsson this yeah Johan gustavsson

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:52 AM
ginner classic

Quote:
No team is going to risk a roster that includes the recent additions of Parise, Suter and Pominville on the back of an untested prospect/backup goalie. Never mind the fact that said goalie is not even considered a top 50 prospect by any source. The only young goalies worthy of that kind of pressure are Holtby, Bernier and Markstrom. I don't even think Jake Allen is ready for that and he is a lot more proven than Kuemper.

The strategy is you hand over the keys not when you need them to be ready, but when they have stolen the starting job.

See Tampa Bay for evidence of what happens when you bet on unproven ponies.

ginner classic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:15 AM
HDZx

I honestly don't know if we see Backs next year. What do you guys think at this point in the season?

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:21 AM
melinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDZx View Post
I honestly don't know if we see Backs next year. What do you guys think at this point in the season?
I think its a position we can upgrade in, don't know if there will be one available though.
Maybe Buffalo uses a buyout on Miller and he wants to come here cheap because of the buyout money.

I think Gustafsson will eventually be our starter.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:44 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
I was all for re-signing Backs earlier this season but his play the last few weeks has gotten me concerned. Hopefully it's just the workload getting to him and not his game falling off. I still think we re-sign him for one more year.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinko View Post
Maybe Buffalo uses a buyout on Miller and he wants to come here cheap because of the buyout money.
lolwat

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 02:35 AM
melinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
lolwat
Miller seems to have worn out his welcome in Buffalo and he's selling his condo there.

If the Sabres use a buyout on him it isn't unlikely that he would be open to coming here and re-uniting team USA.

http://www.buffalorising.com/2013/04...medium=twitter

Since Miller would be getting $ from his Sabres deal he might be willing to sign here for less than market value.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

I'd go for Miller for a year or two. Backs is worn out I think. We've made him work far too hard this year.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:55 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

What about picking up Antti Raanta?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=17016

Solid and young Goalie.. Would come cheap!

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:06 AM
HDZx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post

That kid looks good... really good.

HDZx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:00 AM
Lapa
Global Moderator
Road Ice Advantage

vCash: 1068
Best player in FEL this year. One of the main reasons Ässät won the championship.

Lapa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 827
I'd go nuts if we got Raanta. He's going to be a NHL starter goalie if he isn't yet.

Sharppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
forthewild

Why would Buffalo buy out Miller tho? He's got trade value and pretty good trade value at that. Or has something changed where he is now a buy out candidate?

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:34 AM
SphinX
YouWantSome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
I'd go nuts if we got Raanta. He's going to be a NHL starter goalie if he isn't yet.
He signed a contract with HIFK this morning but the contract has a clause that he can leave if e NHL club offers him one aswell..

Would be frickin awesome to have him on our team..

GMCF, DO YOU COPY?

SphinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:22 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Why would Buffalo buy out Miller tho? He's got trade value and pretty good trade value at that. Or has something changed where he is now a buy out candidate?
He is getting older and he wants out and to a competitive team ASAP. I'm actually surprised they didn't trade him at the deadline. Tie in a 2.5 GAA and a .915 average in 10 years in the league and the fact he has a $6.2M caphit for one more year...it is going to be difficult to get someone to trade with you.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:40 PM
BDX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post

Would come cheap, yes, but I think there are/will be lots of other NHL teams competing for him.

BDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 03:53 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Yup. Raanta has been superb. Seems like the real deal.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:52 AM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Yesterday Raanta played his first national team game ever. WC game against Slovakia: 36 saves, shutout, 2-0 win. Quite a cold-blooded performance.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote