HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cory Schneider -- Our Saviour

Old
04-09-2013, 03:43 PM
TheDiver*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Please Let Us Win View Post
And Moses sweeps in to save his people.
Though shall not question the ability of a goalie with 5 shutouts...

TheDiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:48 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Even as a big Luongo fan, I have to say that Schneider is flat out the better goalie. The only aspects I'd say Luongo is still better at are rebound control and making safe plays with the puck. Schneider has really cleaned up his positioning issues this time around, no more "cheating" on odd-man rushes or giving too much room for sharp angle shots. Although he doesn't control the rebounds as well he's fantastic at battling in the crease to keep the rebounds from going into the net. And of course, his lateral movement is spectacular and at this point, far superior to Lu's.

The one thing we have yet to see is if Schneider has the endurance to handle 60+ games in a season. But so far, he's played 92 games and has a .927 SV% behind a team that can play very shoddy D at times. Absolutely insane.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:54 PM
Wizeman*

I think if he bears down and our team helps him out, he could win the Vezina this year. One or two more shut outs and sub 2 GAA and its his.

We need to start to pound out the advertising now to beat the stupid eastern bias.

I heard some guys on NHL networks still moaning about Cary Price lol.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:56 PM
Sharpshooter1

He can't be my saviour....he has no soul.

Sharpshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Though shall not question the ability of a goalie with 5 shutouts...
Mike Smith has 5 shutouts.

Old
04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
I think Schneider just needs a team that can average more than a couple goals per game in the playoffs. Schneider's AHL and college final losses came with a rather low level of goal support. Similar to Luongo vs. Boston, you're putting the goalie in a tough spot if you can barely score most of the time.
No dice! The bar has been set. Schneider will get goal support equalling no more than 1. With this, he must win us a Stanley Cup or else it's off with his head.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Mike Smith has 5 shutouts.
shutouts on the trapyotes dont count

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:27 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
Smith looked PFG last night.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:29 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Canucks have played more of a defensive game than the 'Yotes this season.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Whale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
I agree with all you points except the last one. From what you write, you imply the Canucks should (for their future success) keep Luongo. Therefore, stating that Luongo should replace (for whatever reason) Schneider, and make a playoff run contradicts that point. Don't you believe it would be best for Schnieder to continue to play very well, into the play-offs too, and in the summer, Schnieder is traded for a missing piece? (I would expect you would like to see a top goal scorer in return. I think they need a #1 D-man, but that's a different thread.)
I guess that I have not expressed my key point clearly enough.

Schnieder is a slightly better goalie right now, my concern is that he is only signed for two more years after this season and will be a highly prized UFA at that point. This is a huge error on the part of the organization because the fans here will chase him out of town if he doesn't win the cup before then. Injuries, blatant bias on the leagues part, hot opposition goaltending, normal learning curves, none of that matters to fans and media here. We could get shut out in four games of a series and it will still fall on the goaltender. I am not exaggerating, we got shut out three times in the SCF and a poll would clearly show that most fans think the problem was goaltending.

Someone mentioned peaks and valleys, that is not what the last three GM's of this team have talked about. They have all stated that they want to build a team on the model of Detroit and New Jersey, a team that remains in contention for the long term, this move is directly contradictory to that effort.

I have real problems understanding why they would risk that and reduce the teams window of elite goaltending to just 3 seasons. I wouldn't be concerned at all if it had been a 5+ year deal, but 3 is a very risky proposition.

That is why I think that it would be better for the team long term if Lou was to somehow come through and win a cup. Schnieder would fetch a huge return that would make us a team that doesn't need a perfect goalie, just a good veteran guy. If Lou can't even bring back Ben Scrivens then we are looking at losing an elite player and getting nothing back at all.

It's not like Lou is washed up, at one point this year he was leading the league in all statistical categories, ALL OF THEM, THIS YEAR.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:48 PM
opendoor

I can't believe all the consternation about the prospect of Schneider walking as a UFA in 2 years. When was the last time a starting goalie walked as a UFA from a team that wanted to retain him and was willing to pay him near market value? Schneider will likely be extended next summer to a long term deal.

And that doesn't even get into the idea that people are still seriously talking about holding Luongo hostage on the team after he requested a trade to the East. The Luongo chapter on the Canucks has closed and all that needs to be sorted out is where he ends up.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:52 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Canucks have played more of a defensive game than the 'Yotes this season.
true but the Yotes do it successfully. They Canucks open up lanes and waive odd man rushes Schneiders way.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
Smith looked PFG last night.
he did, I was half joking

Old
04-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksPK View Post
After many disgruntled days as a bitter Canucks fan, it finally hit me. All it takes is belief, belief in the red headed legend, Cory Schneider.

When Cory Schneider graces the presence of the Canucks net, it seems as though winning is the only possibility. He constantly proves the disbelievers wrong, and every game is progressively solidifying himself as 'The Perfect Goalie.'

If you are a believer that Cory Schneider is our saviour, please post so. We must assemble ourselves as 'Cory's Army.'

2013: Cory Schneider wins the Stanley Cup.

He is the saviour, when traded for assets. The Canuck's core is aging, and they need an infusion of youth, if there is any hope of future success. Schneider's value to the Canucks is in what he returns in trade.

Alflives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
He is the saviour, when traded for assets. The Canuck's core is aging, and they need an infusion of youth, if there is any hope of future success. Schneider's value to the Canucks is in what he returns in trade.
Schneider is not getting traded, the decision to run with him as already been made. Lu will get traded for whatever the best offer is in the offseason

LPH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Schneider is not getting traded, the decision to run with him as already been made. Lu will get traded for whatever the best offer is in the offseason
I agree with you. Luongo will be the one traded. My point is the team already has Luongo signed long term making Schnieder more valuable to the team in trade, than as a current roster player.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
opendoor

Quote:
I agree with you. Luongo will be the one traded. My point is the team already has Luongo signed long term making Schnieder more valuable to the team in trade, than as a current roster player.
That depends entirely on what assets he would return, and no one really knows the answer to that. But if previous goalie trades are any indication, it wouldn't bring a franchise altering return. More than likely it'd be a 1st rounder and a good prospect/young player.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
That depends entirely on what assets he would return, and no one really knows the answer to that. But if previous goalie trades are any indication, it wouldn't bring a franchise altering return. More than likely it'd be a 1st rounder and a good prospect/young player.
If the return for Schnieder is what you say, and the team already has Luongo, it makes a lot more sense (the best for the team now, and in the future) to trade Schnieder.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:12 AM
ttam103

Quote:
Naa. keep him around. the key to "rebuilding" relatively quickly is is goaltending - see Oilers and Sens. I was expecting the Sens to bottom out with all the youth in their lineup but their goaltending has kept them winning and building confidence in the team - even without Spezza, Karlsosn and Anderson. Oilers have all the talent in the world up front, but their goaltending is not where they need it. Maybe its coaching. I dunno. but if Schneider is willing to resign and stay after this contract is up, it be good. Then it can be a Schneider/Lack team and Lack can develop like Schnieder did in the Luongo/Schneider way.

ttam103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
Naa. keep him around. the key to "rebuilding" relatively quickly is is goaltending - see Oilers and Sens. I was expecting the Sens to bottom out with all the youth in their lineup but their goaltending has kept them winning and building confidence in the team - even without Spezza, Karlsosn and Anderson. Oilers have all the talent in the world up front, but their goaltending is not where they need it. Maybe its coaching. I dunno. but if Schneider is willing to resign and stay after this contract is up, it be good. Then it can be a Schneider/Lack team and Lack can develop like Schnieder did in the Luongo/Schneider way.
That's a really good point about the goaltending difference between Ottawa and Edmonton. The point is Vancouver has a really good goalie in Luongo, and he's signed for long term.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:51 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam103 View Post
the key to "rebuilding" relatively quickly is is goaltending - see Oilers and Sens.
Goaltending and defense. They tend to take longer to develop than forwards so you need to have the backend a little ahead of the curve in your development cycle in a teardown and rebuild. The Oiler have in reverse. All those forwards already in the system and only this year do they make a splash going after and getting Schultz.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:23 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
haha good one. We trade Shneider, lose luongo and we'll find out how poor this defense really is. I would rather not see that.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
haha good one. We trade Shneider, lose luongo and we'll find out how poor this defense really is. I would rather not see that.
What? The team is top-10 in SA almost any way you look at it (overall, at 5 on 5, at 5 on 5 when the score is close, on the PK, etc.).

If you think the defence is poor because of the quality of shots they give up, then you must also think that Schneider and Luongo are the greatest goalies in the history of the game when you consider the save percentages they've managed to put up the last few years (which are apparently depressed by the fact that they play behind a poor defence).

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:05 PM
opendoor

Quote:
If the return for Schnieder is what you say, and the team already has Luongo, it makes a lot more sense (the best for the team now, and in the future) to trade Schnieder.
It really makes no sense for a host of reasons. Most importantly, it seems as though Luongo wants to move East which if true, negates any argument against keeping Schneider.

That aside, how does a 1st and a prospect set the Canucks up for a better future when in order to get that return they have to move forward with a 34 year old goalie rather than a 27 year old one?

Goalies are undervalued leaguewide relative to what they provide a team. Given that, the only rational decision is to keep the more valuable one. If you're not going to get full value back either way, any other decision but keeping the younger player who's performing at a higher level makes no sense.

Though like I said, this likely has as much to do with Luongo wanting to be closer to his family than it does anything else. Anyone advocating trading Schneider is making a massive assumption that Luongo is happy to remain in Vancouver long term. Given what we've heard and how this has unfolded, I'd be shocked if that was the case.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Moore Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
What? The team is top-10 in SA almost any way you look at it (overall, at 5 on 5, at 5 on 5 when the score is close, on the PK, etc.).

If you think the defence is poor because of the quality of shots they give up, then you must also think that Schneider and Luongo are the greatest goalies in the history of the game when you consider the save percentages they've managed to put up the last few years (which are apparently depressed by the fact that they play behind a poor defence).
agreed