HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stefan Elliott recalled

Old
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barklez View Post
On the flip side, what if Sacco has it out for O'Brien because he is being a selfish POS in the dressing room like Quincey was? (FTR I like O'Brien, not implying either scenario is more likely than the other)
We really don't know the inner workings of the locker room, but neither Sacco nor SOB have great track records IMO.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
BrickAHL
No More

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
We really don't know the inner workings of the locker room, but neither Sacco nor SOB have great track records IMO.
Let's just get rid of both.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:04 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Sacco has no leg to stand on. he's a terrible coach and can't scheme a even slightly deplorable defense.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:26 PM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalderKing21 View Post
Sacco has no leg to stand on. he's a terrible coach and can't scheme a even slightly deplorable defense.
And SOB has a history of issues as well. I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around this team and by no means are Sacco and SOB the only ones to blame for the crap situation this team is in.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:28 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
And SOB has a history of issues as well. I'm sure there is plenty of blame to go around this team and by no means are Sacco and SOB the only ones to blame for the crap situation this team is in.
Sacco is the coach, he sets the standard, he shoulders the blame as such.
we haven't improved one bit in any facet since he's been the coach.
that to me tells all.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:16 PM
avsfan09

He's really starting to impress me lately. His decision making has been way better, he's been better defensively. His timing jumping into the play has been great.

I honestly was pretty down on the guy but if he keeps progressing like this we should have a good player on our hands.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Holyhell
'Crumblers'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
He's really starting to impress me lately. His decision making has been way better, he's been better defensively. His timing jumping into the play has been great.

I honestly was pretty down on the guy but if he keeps progressing like this we should have a good player on our hands.
He just has quicker and better decision making than enough guys to make his way onto the permanent roster from here on out.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:19 PM
RockLobster
RestInPower Parabola

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post

I don't think it's a coincidence that we're noticing him more (in a more positive light) since Sacco has paired him with Hejda.

Hejda had that effect with Barrie as well, and it certainly seems, so far, that he may be having the same effect with Elliott as well.

Hope shines brightest, in the dark, where nothing's ever seen. Lighting undiscovered places, no one's ever been.
RockLobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Nihiliste

Yup having a stable partner in Hejda has seemed to really help. If we can pick up another steady veteran guy and shed a couple of our awful depth guys then we could have a solid partner for both of these kids.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Glad people are starting to come around. He just needs to play regularly, in the right situations, with the right partner, and he will be just fine.

Would be nice to see him get some more PP time, though.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:26 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Hopefully he can carry this play through the end of the season and into next year. He looks as good as he has at the NHL level, and he's even playing a little physical.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:10 AM
Barklez

Loved the follow-through on his play on Carter, took him to the boards and finished the hit. At first I couldn't tell who it was, he was actually playing big, I thought he was O'Brien. Also seemed to be playing much more physical in the period and a half that I saw, very encouraging last half of the game at least.

Barklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

People aren't finally coming around on Elliott. He's just playing better.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
landesberg
varlamov4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Glad people are starting to come around. He just needs to play regularly, in the right situations, with the right partner, and he will be just fine.

Would be nice to see him get some more PP time, though.
but but.... how will we have 4 or 5 forwards on the PP if Elliott is on it???

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
His defensive game has obviously matured this season. Solid growth from a guy many people regarded as an abomination in his own zone. I'm looking forward to when he figures out how to play strong defensively and lead the play offensively.

We just need to be patient guys, Shattenkirk was two/three? years older than they are now when he first debuted. They have all the potential in the world though and we could be seeing a really impressive core building before our eyes.

Imagine something like...

Seth Jones - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Siemens - Elliott

In a couple years? Toss Wilson in for Hejda possibly or something... but the idea is there.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Nihiliste

Shattenkirk was two years older (2007 draft). He was probably developed more patiently, finishing his college degree. I don't think either Elliott or Barrie are as smart as Shattenkirk or have the same vision and I think the best case scenario is that the gap won't be huge. Elliott particularly has had a really disruptive development course so it makes sense he'll take a bit longer to get settled in I guess.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Shattenkirk was two years older (2007 draft). He was probably developed more patiently, finishing his college degree. I don't think either Elliott or Barrie are as smart as Shattenkirk or have the same vision and I think the best case scenario is that the gap won't be huge. Elliott particularly has had a really disruptive development course so it makes sense he'll take a bit longer to get settled in I guess.
I don't know I think Barrie's development has been a bit more disruptive. He's been bounced around more, and kept in the press box for long periods.

Elliott had that a bit at the end of last year, but he spent most of this year with the Monsters. I think that helped him work on his defensive game, and he's been showing the improvement on ice.

Much better positionally, and more physical in making body contact while defending, rather than just being passive. He still makes the occasional mistake, but they aren't nearly as frequent, or as disastrous.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Glad people are starting to come around.
People are coming around? Or his play is coming around?

He played his best game in awhile, no doubt.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:43 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

Imagine something like...

Seth Jones - EJ
Hejda - Barrie
Siemens - Elliott

In a couple years?
Next season, that defense would get roasted defensively - Erik Johnson, an aging Hejda, and 4 defensemen playing essentially their first full NHL season? Varlamov would need therapy.

If we're talking 3-4 or so years down the road, OK, but Hejda would likely need to be replaced.

Does anyone really realistically see Siemens on the Avs next season?

Old
04-12-2013, 02:45 PM
ABasin
Crow is yummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
People aren't finally coming around on Elliott. He's just playing better.
I had a similar comment. And in truth, he's really only played a couple/few good games. Would like to see him do so consistently before anointing.....well, before anything.

I do give credit to clowns running this show for sitting a veteran defenseman and putting Elliott in there to get some game time.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:50 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Elliot will be fine, they need to let him play and stop dicking him around between levels.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Next season, that defense would get roasted defensively - Erik Johnson, an aging Hejda, and 4 defensemen playing essentially their first full NHL season? Varlamov would need therapy.

If we're talking 3-4 or so years down the road, OK, but Hejda would likely need to be replaced.

anything they do on defense will be a marked improvement for this team. i can deal with young pups making silly mistakes, it's the old dogs making silly ones that are killer.

Old
04-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:

By the end of next season or the beginning of the 14-15 I was trying to allure to with that. I could see Hejda sticking around long enough to be a part of that defense at least once, otherwise I said to throw in Wilson.

With that said, I'd sooner see that defense next season over the one we currently put out. Siemens couldn't be any worse than Zanon. And if Siemens is our biggest ?? in that grouping, seems obvious to me it's a marked improvement.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Freudian
Ready for some hokey

Quote:

I'd argue that Barrie is ahead of the meatbags defensively and based of what I have seen of Elliott lately, he's stacks up favorably too.

It's not a defense that's based on blocking and clogging the lanes but more on puck retrieval and getting the puck out of the zone quickly, but nonetheless as efficient as the meatbag type of defense.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:04 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Uh... Are you talking academically? Because history shows that actually Elliott and Barrie should have even more potential offensively than Kirk. Especially Elliott...

Development differences make sense... because of age, patience, maturity, and what not. But stating that Kirk is smarter or has more vision hockey wise is putting the cart before the horse in predicting what Barrie and Elliott are capable of IMO.

Elliott has the frame to be a 6 foot plus offensive defender, especially if he can beef up a bit. Both Barrie and Elliott are younger and are being judged at younger ages with less time to mature. Which takes some patience IMO.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote