HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 07:50 AM
  #776
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Btw the owner that is going to suppose to match it has until Friday to match it. so far he has not filed that he is going to match the 7%. Action = better then words. Even if he matches Hansen can easily pay the guy 20m for that 8%. Eventually all 100% of the team will be under hansen's group control assuming NBA approves it.

Umm btw they still haven't matched Hansen 341m offer. With burkle out i find that very unlikely that there will not be a match of 525m. No way i see the NBA rejecting the PSA to go with a offer that is lower.
i agree.

quebec city began construction of its new arena last year.

seattle? not so much.

GuelphStormer is online now  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:27 AM
  #777
Nuclear SUV
Registered User
 
Nuclear SUV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Kind of like the articles in your area about the Kings not having an arena deal and that this was already a formality. Both sides are spinning and spinning hard.
Only one side is spinning, as one side can't do much talking (Hansen-Ballmer group, Maloofs). A majority of the spin has come from Kevin Johnson.

Quote:
BTW, Burkle is still involved with the downtown project.
Reports today is that he is 100% out.

Nuclear SUV is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:30 AM
  #778
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i agree.

quebec city began construction of its new arena last year.

seattle? not so much.
Except if Seattle can maintain timelines and break ground early next year as planned both buildings are scheduled to open at the same time ... by the 15-16 season.

Seattle doesnt have to deal with sub-arctic temps and frozen ground in the winter like QC so they can construct much faster.

maruk14 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
  #779
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Only one side is spinning, as one side can't do much talking (Hansen-Ballmer group, Maloofs). A majority of the spin has come from Kevin Johnson.



Reports today is that he is 100% out.
No kidding. Press conference after press conference, a celebratory tweet with a pic of KJ's arms triumphantly in the air and the caption "just closed the deal with Ron B!". Now he is totally out of the deal a week or so before the BOG votes and Sac is saying its a good thing? That is spin on major overdrive.

maruk14 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
  #780
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i agree.

quebec city began construction of its new arena last year.

seattle? not so much.
umm seattle can't start construction yet. Two reasons EIS still not done and NBA still hasn't voted on to approve sale of kings.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 01:48 PM
  #781
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuelphStormer View Post
i agree.

quebec city began construction of its new arena last year.

seattle? not so much.
And yet, If Seattle gets the Kings, the Arenas are scheduled to open at the same time.

superdeluxe is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 01:56 PM
  #782
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,110
vCash: 500
I really can't wait until the 19th. One way or another we'll know what's going on with the arena. We'll hear less of this "Quebec is better" every single time KJ tweets or anyone else writes something about Sac. It's really becoming annoying.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
  #783
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I really can't wait until the 19th. One way or another we'll know what's going on with the arena. We'll hear less of this "Quebec is better" every single time KJ tweets or anyone else writes something about Sac. It's really becoming annoying.
I didn't know Quebec was after the Kings as well

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
  #784
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
I didn't know Quebec was after the Kings as well
I think its revering to the whole Seattle has to get the kings before they are able to get a NBA team. And the idea that if the King stay then quebec gets the coyotes.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
  #785
MuzikMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I think its revering to the whole Seattle has to get the kings before they are able to get a NBA team. And the idea that if the King stay then quebec gets the coyotes.
I recognize that, hence the sarcasm. Personally, I don't think the "Quebec is better" sentement will die down regardless of where the Kings (or Coyotes) end up.

MuzikMachine is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:02 PM
  #786
GuelphStormer
Registered User
 
GuelphStormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
I recognize that, hence the sarcasm. Personally, I don't think the "Quebec is better" sentement will die down regardless of where the Kings (or Coyotes) end up.
sounds like the makings for a good rivalry in a few years, non?

GuelphStormer is online now  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
  #787
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 17,954
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Only one side is spinning, as one side can't do much talking (Hansen-Ballmer group, Maloofs). A majority of the spin has come from Kevin Johnson.
Your newspapers and blogs have spun, as well.



Quote:
Reports today is that he is 100% out.
Of the arena deal? yes. Of the area and development around the proposed arena? Absolutely not.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
  #788
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 17,954
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Sacramento is broke, they have no concrete arena deal and Seattle is far ahead in every aspect in the deal than Sacramento is

You can't dispute those facts
Except for the fact that Sacramento isn't broke, and they have a deal in place.... The far ahead part is debatable.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:38 PM
  #789
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 17,954
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
No kidding. Press conference after press conference, a celebratory tweet with a pic of KJ's arms triumphantly in the air and the caption "just closed the deal with Ron B!". Now he is totally out of the deal a week or so before the BOG votes and Sac is saying its a good thing? That is spin on major overdrive.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sacrame...0860--nba.html

Friedman is taking Burkle's spot and so far there has been no word of this changing anything about the prior approved arena deal. To me, the pc reason for Burkle stepping down is the Relativity Sports company, but the real reason is his relationship with the Maloof's. Word is they will absolutely not negotiate with a group that has Burkle involved.

As for KJ, the guy likes the spotlight and I can see how he can annoy the Seattle fanbase, but the guy has put the work in and has never given up on the Kings. He spins and can be annoying, but without him, the Kings would already be gone by now.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 05:57 PM
  #790
maruk14
Registered User
 
maruk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Except for the fact that Sacramento isn't broke, and they have a deal in place.... The far ahead part is debatable.
That is only debatable if you are from Sac. You just look at facts and Seattle is at least a year ahead of Sac in the process. If all goes according to current timelines ( and every deadline has been hit to date) tgey will have full approval and be shovel ready in Jan14.

Sac just started the process and keeps shuffling the deck of investors every few weeks ... including losing the lead on the arena project a week before they have to give the NBA a reason to vote Seattle down.

maruk14 is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
  #791
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Except for the fact that Sacramento isn't broke, and they have a deal in place.... The far ahead part is debatable.
sacramento is 2 billion dollars in the red. so yea hey are broke.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 08:11 PM
  #792
Shaz
Registered User
 
Shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Except for the fact that Sacramento isn't broke, and they have a deal in place.... The far ahead part is debatable.
Sacramento is bankrupt, that's not even disputable

And yes Seattle is far ahead

Stop with trying to put your personal opinion on this and look at the facts

Shaz is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 08:42 PM
  #793
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Clowe Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 17,954
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
Sacramento is bankrupt, that's not even disputable

And yes Seattle is far ahead

Stop with trying to put your personal opinion on this and look at the facts
Has Sacramento filed for bankruptcy? No, they haven't.

As for the personal opinion, every single one of your posts has been personal bias and shots at Sacramento with nothing to back it up.

Clowe Me is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 08:52 PM
  #794
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Has Sacramento filed for bankruptcy? No, they haven't.

As for the personal opinion, every single one of your posts has been personal bias and shots at Sacramento with nothing to back it up.
Doesn't matter they are still in a hole by 2 billion

gstommylee is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
  #795
Shaz
Registered User
 
Shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tacoma, WA
Country: United States
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Has Sacramento filed for bankruptcy? No, they haven't.

As for the personal opinion, every single one of your posts has been personal bias and shots at Sacramento with nothing to back it up.
My apologies, I should have said in huge debt instead of bankruptcy

Shaz is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 09:11 PM
  #796
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaz View Post
My apologies, I should have said in huge debt instead of bankruptcy
But the thought of bankruptcy could potential be an issue. If that happens they have no arena deal.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 10:12 PM
  #797
barneyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Doesn't matter they are still in a hole by 2 billion
Let me start off by saying Seattle is in a significantly better financial position than Sacramento.

I'll assume the 2 billion "hole" you refer to comes from reports like this one. What would Seattle's "hole" be if it was calculated the same way? It's all public info so it shouldn't be hard to find out...

I disagree with a lot of what Clowe Me has written in this thread but I have to agree that "both sides are spinning, and spinning hard".

barneyg is offline  
Old
04-09-2013, 11:37 PM
  #798
gstommylee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Let me start off by saying Seattle is in a significantly better financial position than Sacramento.

I'll assume the 2 billion "hole" you refer to comes from reports like this one. What would Seattle's "hole" be if it was calculated the same way? It's all public info so it shouldn't be hard to find out...

I disagree with a lot of what Clowe Me has written in this thread but I have to agree that "both sides are spinning, and spinning hard".
I would have to find it but last time i heard regarding seattle's debt it was something around 45m not sure if its better or worse today.

gstommylee is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
  #799
barneyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
I would have to find it but last time i heard regarding seattle's debt it was something around 45m not sure if its better or worse today.
No offense but if you think Seattle's debt is 45 million, I don't think you'll be able to find out what it really is.

Sacramento (according to debt report in previous link):
Bonds = 733 million
Other debt = 90 million
Unfunded retirement benefits = 950 million
Other future costs = 167 million
Total = 1940 million = 1.94 billion

then..
Seattle 2011 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report
Bonds = 4063 million (p.34)
Other long-term debt except unfunded retirement benefits = 847 million (based on p.34)
Unfunded retirement benefits (pp.120-130)
- SCERS (employees) = 695 million
- Fire pension = 128 million
- Police pension = 108 million
- OPEB: employees = 93 million (2010 number so outdated)
- OPEB: fire = 236 million
- OPEB: police = 252 million
Total = 6422 million = 6.4 billion

Moral of the story: the financial position of a city really doesn't have much to do with the total amount of debt it carries, regardless of how scary those numbers look. Seattle is in a better position than Sacramento because (a) it's wealthier and (b) its managers are more competent (at least that's what Moody's thinks), not because Sacramento is in a 2 billion "hole".

barneyg is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 08:53 AM
  #800
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sodo, Wa
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
.. The far ahead part is debatable.
I'm interested in what part is debatable?

superdeluxe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.