HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Looking for a new computer, need some advices!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-07-2012, 09:56 PM
  #26
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Found this one that looks pretty interesting... 450$ savings

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

EDIT: just realized that it was the same posted earlier
Seconded on don't worry about NVIDIA/ vs ATI... You get what you get. People typically talk about negative experiences in revieWs more than positives...

I wouldn't recommend Sony because they are usually way over priced... But that one was like $250 off the regular price, so it was a pretty good deal.

Yeah like I said... For $600-700 you should be able to get a decent laptop... But like others have said... That won't last you as long... Sure it will play DIII... But you'll have to upgrade sooner for the next game u really want to play... Which it likely won't handle.

If you're really not worried about bringing this with you to school... I guess just try and get the biggest, baddest laptop for your money...

I'm sure that ASUS refurb will be back in stock sometime...

I just compared the specs to that Sony... And the ASUS blows it out of the water. Like by far...

The one for $850 should be back in stock soon... But personally, I'd buy this one for $1010.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230352

Yeah... I know a full $210 over budget, but this is really a tremendous deal.

It's $690 in savings compared to $450, plus it's a full model year newer... It has the 2.2 GHZ CPU (goes past 3.0 while gaming with turbo boost), and has the 560M card, with 2gb of dedicated VRAM, compared to 1.5gb in the 460M in the 850 refurbished ASUS.

What I really like about the 17" G series from ASUS is the two Hard drive bays... You can buy a SSD to put Windows 7 on, and a your most applications and games... And it will run a lot faster, plus use less power, so slightly better battery life. (not nessecary right off the bat... Especially since SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day)

The one for $850... Does have 2 hd bays... But, I guess you have to spend around $40 for the internal HDD casing to install a second HDD/SSD... The one for $1010 already has the casing installed for a second hard drive.

if you wait for the $850 model to be back in stock... You'd be fine with that too... But for only $160 more, I really think its worth the extra dough.. Plus it is in stock, right now

The extra $160 is well spent, IMO... Gets you better CPU, better GPU, and it's ready for a second HD, without you having to order the casing from ASUS.

Id definitely put a SSD in there like two years from now... They will be a lot cheaper in price... So you should be able to get a 256gb drive for like $100 in two years time.

Upgrading to a SSD is quite literally the most noticeable upgrade you can do to your PC... It just cuts down on loading times/ boot times by very significant margins.

Considering how much it would cost you to build a desktop gaming PC... With i5, 8gb of ram, 2gb graphics card, 1TB HD, DVD burner, 20" display, and windows 7...

This laptop for $1010 isn't much more expensive... And will give you similar performance/ future proofing.

Yah you can buy a decent laptop for $600-800, but it won't have nearly the same lifespan of these 17" G series laptops.

If youre really pressed for money... Go for the one for $850.

Since you said portability isn't a big thing for you... Definitely go for a 17" screen, and go for the most performance you can get for the price. Also, if I'm not mistaken, ASUS does include an optical mouse with the G series laptops.

For $1010, I can pretty much guarantee you can't find a better performing laptop for the same price. Also... The price on Newegg.ca is the same as the one on Newegg.com... Which is always satisfying... Since so often things are cheaper for American residents.

Hope I haven't flooded you with too much info

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:16 PM
  #27
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
Seconded on don't worry about NVIDIA/ vs ATI... You get what you get. People typically talk about negative experiences in revieWs more than positives...

I wouldn't recommend Sony because they are usually way over priced... But that one was like $250 off the regular price, so it was a pretty good deal.

Yeah like I said... For $600-700 you should be able to get a decent laptop... But like others have said... That won't last you as long... Sure it will play DIII... But you'll have to upgrade sooner for the next game u really want to play... Which it likely won't handle.

If you're really not worried about bringing this with you to school... I guess just try and get the biggest, baddest laptop for your money...

I'm sure that ASUS refurb will be back in stock sometime...

I just compared the specs to that Sony... And the ASUS blows it out of the water. Like by far...

The one for $850 should be back in stock soon... But personally, I'd buy this one for $1010.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230352

Yeah... I know a full $210 over budget, but this is really a tremendous deal.

It's $690 in savings compared to $450, plus it's a full model year newer... It has the 2.2 GHZ CPU (goes past 3.0 while gaming with turbo boost), and has the 560M card, with 2gb of dedicated VRAM, compared to 1.5gb in the 460M in the 850 refurbished ASUS.

What I really like about the 17" G series from ASUS is the two Hard drive bays... You can buy a SSD to put Windows 7 on, and a your most applications and games... And it will run a lot faster, plus use less power, so slightly better battery life. (not nessecary right off the bat... Especially since SSDs are getting cheaper and cheaper by the day)

The one for $850... Does have 2 hd bays... But, I guess you have to spend around $40 for the internal HDD casing to install a second HDD/SSD... The one for $1010 already has the casing installed for a second hard drive.

if you wait for the $850 model to be back in stock... You'd be fine with that too... But for only $160 more, I really think its worth the extra dough.. Plus it is in stock, right now

The extra $160 is well spent, IMO... Gets you better CPU, better GPU, and it's ready for a second HD, without you having to order the casing from ASUS.

Id definitely put a SSD in there like two years from now... They will be a lot cheaper in price... So you should be able to get a 256gb drive for like $100 in two years time.

Upgrading to a SSD is quite literally the most noticeable upgrade you can do to your PC... It just cuts down on loading times/ boot times by very significant margins.

Considering how much it would cost you to build a desktop gaming PC... With i5, 8gb of ram, 2gb graphics card, 1TB HD, DVD burner, 20" display, and windows 7...

This laptop for $1010 isn't much more expensive... And will give you similar performance/ future proofing.

Yah you can buy a decent laptop for $600-800, but it won't have nearly the same lifespan of these 17" G series laptops.

If youre really pressed for money... Go for the one for $850.

Since you said portability isn't a big thing for you... Definitely go for a 17" screen, and go for the most performance you can get for the price. Also, if I'm not mistaken, ASUS does include an optical mouse with the G series laptops.

For $1010, I can pretty much guarantee you can't find a better performing laptop for the same price. Also... The price on Newegg.ca is the same as the one on Newegg.com... Which is always satisfying... Since so often things are cheaper for American residents.

Hope I haven't flooded you with too much info
Thanks for all the info, very much appreciated. I'm not totally against going a bit over my budget, so deals like this remain enticing to me.

However, I just realized, are small screen laptops (like 14 or 15") more expensive than big screen laptops, like the one you just showed me (17")? By my logic, I thought it was the same as for TVs, the bigger the better, hence why it is more expensive. Then, I just remembered the guy mentioning portability comes at a high price for laptops... Does that actually mean small screens Laptops are more expensive than big screens? Because I'd probably prefer the one computer you showed me at 1009$ as a 15", since I guessed it would be a bit less expensive with a smaller screen (Although I don't even know if it is available, or if it exist in a smaller model)...

But anyway, like I said, portability comes last after price and performance as far as my priorities go. Either way, I mostly use my laptop as a desktop computer and move it occasionally, on road trips and on rare occasions for school.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:39 AM
  #28
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
Really depends... A 15" laptop can sometimes demand a higher price... Since power+portability is important for some people.

There is no refurbished 15" ASUS G series... You'd pay 1299 for a new, 15" with the same specs.

Usually 15" and 13" laptops don't demand higher prices if they offer the same performance as a 17", unless they are very thin, lightweight, and have decent battery life's.

Personally, the only laptop that fits that description, (and which I'd even consider buying) is the 15" MacBook Pro... Which will run you upwards of $2000, even with an education discount... Maybe even $2400 if you want the top of the line model.

And still, the 15" MacBook Pro only has a 1gb Graphics card... The only thing it has going for it is the top of the line CPU from intel, a 2.4 GHZ i7...

While MacBook pros are over priced.... You'll have no problem selling it 3 years later for a full $1000. Something you will not be able to do with a $2000 windows laptop.

For $1010 though... You can't go wrong with that ASUS...

I forgot to mention... Lenovo has some good options too... If you go on Newegg... You can search by brand... And then refine the search even further by only including laptops with dedicated GPUs in your search results... You want a laptop with a dedicated GPU, and at least 1gb of video memory...

I saw one Lenovo for $499... But it had a pretty mediocre AMD CPU... 4gb of ram, and a 1gb ATI video card... But I also noticed some of the Lenovos on sale were only available for shipping to the USA... And really... For a laptop, I'd much prefer having an intel CPU... AMD has never been competitive in the laptop CPU market... They are very much budget oriented... Unless you find a smoking deal on an AMD powered notebook... Just try for intel.

If you can afford that ASUS for $1010 though... I think ud be very happy with that computer...

I've heard people mention the lack of upgrade options for laptops... While there is some truth to that... I'd also say its a bit misleading. Even with desktops, you often have to upgrade your motherboard to take advantage of a new CPU... Which can get pretty expensive. Upgrading video cards is the major benefit to desktops... Since in a laptop the motherboard/GPU are pretty much not upgradable.

You'll have no problem upgrading to 16gb of ram if you ever have a need for that... You probably won't have any interest in doing that for at least 2 or 3 years... and it would probably be pretty cheap by then... Like $50 or something.

Plus upgrading to a SSD is often easier to do in a laptop, no messing around with 3.5" adapters... Just pop off the panel...slide out the old drive... Slide in the new SSD, done... Or in the case of the ASUS g series... Slide in the SSD into HD bay #2.

Just consider getting a laptop with a 2gb video card... You'll have to spend more to get that, but it should last you a lot longer, than if you went for something with only a 1gb video card... Especially a lower end 1gb card.

2gb vs 1gb could potentially buy you another 2 years of usage out of your laptop... Which is easily worth an extra $300-400, especially if you're also getting a better CPU... Since on a laptop, the only things you can upgrade are basically the ram and HD... You never want to skimp out on the CPU or GPU... If gaming is a priority.

Be sure to sign up for neweggs eblast subscription!! They will send you there best deals to your email account about every day or two. There might be a smokin deal that can get you a decent enough laptop for $500-600. I wouldn't spend anymore than $700 taxes in on a laptop with a 1gb video card... Just not worth it when there are slightly more expensive options to get a 1.5gb or 2gb card... Heck there are even 3gb GPUs in some gaming laptops now... (GPU=video card, btw )

A 2gb GPU will give you a decent amount of future proofing.

Like everyone's said... Just post us a link if you're considering buying something... We'll make sure you don't buy a POS.


Last edited by Seanconn*: 06-08-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:59 AM
  #29
Drake1588
UNATCO
 
Drake1588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 27,863
vCash: 500
I think this is a good way of presenting it:

In building a computer, heat is the enemy. Dissipating heat can be done with various approaches to design, but there is really nothing like sheer empty space to help you out. You can put as many fans on the perimeter as you want; if there isn't space for air flow, that won't help much. So the larger the chassis of the computer, the easier it is to cool the computer. The cooler your computer, the more options you have as a designer/builder to employ high-performance components (before everything gets unacceptably hot and your components shut down on you).

So what does that mean? Well, if you're fixated on performance, a full tower is better than a mid-tower. A 17" laptop is generally better than a 15.4" laptop, is better than a 13" laptop, is better than a 12" laptop.

Can you put performance gaming in a small laptop? Absolutely, yes. It costs money to do that, though. Increasingly you're going to want a SSD in there, because SSDs both 1) have no moving parts, and generate less heat, and 2) provide superior performance in terms of load times. You need to come up with creative designs to keep components cool for computers built into smaller chassis. That adds cost too.

In general, to maintain high states of performance, you need to add to cost as you decrease the size of the chassis. In reality, though, you will find that most laptops on the market perform worse for gaming as they shrink. It's either too expensive and thus the laptop wouldn't sell to put top-end components in there, or form factor and heat considerations impose technology limits. Usually, it's a combination of both factors. If you want to game, I definitely advise a 17" laptop, provided that the portability is not a big issue for you.

If you look at gaming performance, affordability and portability, I would say this: It becomes harder to satisfy all three requirments as you decrease the size. It's easier to do at 17" than it is at the 12" form factor. Of course, in the end, what you are really doing is compromising on the portability, right?

My own setup is this. I have some computers I built myself. The latest gaming rig is a Sandy Bridge Core-i7 based gaming PC in a full tower. Saved some money by building myself, but mostly did it for fun and to get all the components I wanted. I prioritized performance and the other two factors, affordability and portability, were not important factors.

For portability, I have a Core-i7 11.6" Alienware m11x with nVidia gaming graphics. Kind of an odd outlier, it's both excellent for portability and a pretty fair gaming PC. It was also $1300 by the time I was done configuring it, because for me, I wanted portability and gaming performance in a laptop, and did not prioritize affordability.

In the end, if you accept that it's hard to satisfy all three of portability, high performance and affordability at once, then definitely sacrifice some portability to meet your performance and affordability needs, if you are saying that portability is not so important to you. That is what you are essentially doing if you get a 17" laptop. It's a brick.


Last edited by Drake1588: 06-08-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:34 PM
  #30
Seanconn*
mission accomplished
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manhattan
Country: United States
Posts: 4,267
vCash: 500
17"ers are definitely bricks

But for around the house... They are pretty awesome. Unlike your 11" Alienware i7 with a dedicated card squeezed in there... Or my 15" MacBook Pro... A 17" ASUS g series will not fry your balls off if your sitting on a couch with your laptop on top of you.

Plus if portability doesn't matter... Bigger is always better. Bigger trackpad, bigger screen. Bigger case means more air flow... Which means fewer problems with overheating, which is priority one with gaming laptops.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:09 PM
  #31
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Alright so I kind of let go the idea of buying a laptop strictly for gaming purposes... until my brother bought me D3 out of the blue for my birthday... Soooo, I'm bumping this thread .

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230141

Seriously considering this one, and I'd be willing to wait quite a while if it means saving a couple hundreds bucks in rebates. The only thing is that it says it is 2.2 GHZ, while they recommend 2.8 GHZ on the D3 game box. However, most people said they had no issues running demanding games such as BF3, Crysis 2, Skyrim etc. on high settings... So, is it gonna be fine for D3 anyway?

Edit: Also, if I do buy this computer, is the 2-year extended warranty (115,99$) worth it?

Thanks!

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
  #32
Francesa
Moderator
(╯°□°)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 188,392
vCash: 500
It's fine.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2012, 04:21 PM
  #33
Bruins4Lifer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Bruins4Lifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Seriously considering this one, and I'd be willing to wait quite a while if it means saving a couple hundreds bucks in rebates. The only thing is that it says it is 2.2 GHZ, while they recommend 2.8 GHZ on the D3 game box. However, most people said they had no issues running demanding games such as BF3, Crysis 2, Skyrim etc. on high settings... So, is it gonna be fine for D3 anyway?
CPU speed (in GHz) is largely irrelevant when comparing to recommended specs. The CPU architecture, cache size, and # of cores are far more important.

D3 probably runs like **** (if at all) on a 3 GHz P4. That laptop will run it fine.

__________________

Bruins4Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 04:19 PM
  #34
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Alright so I kind of let go the idea of buying a laptop strictly for gaming purposes... until my brother bought me D3 out of the blue for my birthday... Soooo, I'm bumping this thread .

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230141

Seriously considering this one, and I'd be willing to wait quite a while if it means saving a couple hundreds bucks in rebates. The only thing is that it says it is 2.2 GHZ, while they recommend 2.8 GHZ on the D3 game box. However, most people said they had no issues running demanding games such as BF3, Crysis 2, Skyrim etc. on high settings... So, is it gonna be fine for D3 anyway?

Edit: Also, if I do buy this computer, is the 2-year extended warranty (115,99$) worth it?

Thanks!

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16834215529CVF

Check out this one. Bettter internal specs. The only real downside is the lower resolution screen (1600x900), but at that size of a screen, I doubt it matters all that much.

I myself bought an Acer Aspire V3 771g-9875 but I think everyone is out of stock. I bought it for $830 US, and added a 750GB Hybrid HDD/SDD and am using that for my main drive.

edit: apparently the price went up. Sucks. It's a nice laptop, I got it off amazon and paid no sales tax or shipping. It did however take 3 weeks to deliver, though they made that clear before I bought it, so...you know.


Last edited by Defgarden: 08-09-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:24 PM
  #35
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16834215529CVF

Check out this one. Bettter internal specs. The only real downside is the lower resolution screen (1600x900), but at that size of a screen, I doubt it matters all that much.

I myself bought an Acer Aspire V3 771g-9875 but I think everyone is out of stock. I bought it for $830 US, and added a 750GB Hybrid HDD/SDD and am using that for my main drive.

edit: apparently the price went up. Sucks. It's a nice laptop, I got it off amazon and paid no sales tax or shipping. It did however take 3 weeks to deliver, though they made that clear before I bought it, so...you know.
Is Acer as good as Asus though? As a brand, I mean.

Also, what about the 2 years extended warranty? Is it worth it for the price they're asking?

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
  #36
Defgarden
Registered User
 
Defgarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Loma Linda, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Is Acer as good as Asus though? As a brand, I mean.

Also, what about the 2 years extended warranty? Is it worth it for the price they're asking?
I'm not sure what you mean by asking which brand is better. The only real difference between brands is the styling, the layout, and the "build quality" of the casing. I'm very happy with mine. It doesn't have a backlit keyboard and I'm not a huge fan of the glossy finish, but they weren't deal breakers for me. Acer seems cheaper in price in general though, so that definitely influenced my decision. The internals are all made by Intel/AMD/Nvidia anyway (besides the motherboards, though I'm not sure what different laptop mobos make really, since they'll just make themselves apparent by the features they offer).

As far as the warranty, check the fine details. This is my first real laptop, and I'm used to building my own desktops, so I've never really dealt with warranties. It may or may not be worth it really, I have no idea.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2012, 08:37 PM
  #37
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Is Acer as good as Asus though? As a brand, I mean.

Also, what about the 2 years extended warranty? Is it worth it for the price they're asking?
No, Acer is bottom rung as far as laptops go, similar to HP (although personally, I've had no problem with either my Acer monitor, which is probably about 5 years old, nor my netbook, which is over 3 years old, although the latter feels cheap).

Asus, Toshiba, and Apple are among the top tier, with similar failure rates. I've had my Toshiba laptop for 5 years now, and have no reason to replace it.

However, as with anything, what's good/bad to one person can be the opposite to another, but generally, you tend to get what you pay for.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 10:18 AM
  #38
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Thanks for the quick responses guys!

After some more sniffing around on Newegg, I've seen these refurbished laptops on which I could save 600$ or more... There are Asus G74 available at like 999$. Should I consider refurbished items considering the huge drop-off in prices? I'm kind of on the fence right now, since the customers reviews are pretty much hot & cold (basically, one egg because the computer crashed right off the box, or 5 eggs because it is the absolute most awesome thing invented ever since sliced bread).

This one looks great. 675$ savings on top of that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230454

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
  #39
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,704
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Just make sure you're buying from the right Newegg. So far I've seen you at .com and .ca so I am not sure where you're located.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 06:51 PM
  #40
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Just make sure you're buying from the right Newegg. So far I've seen you at .com and .ca so I am not sure where you're located.
Yeah, I just noticed that, thanks for the heads up.

So I've pretty much made my choice.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...^34-230-454-TS
Thinking about buying one of these. They seem pretty similar, except one of them has a regular price of 1 700$ and the other 1 500$, so the 1 700$ looks more enticing at its refurbished price (1 029$) than the 1 500$ one (999$). What explains the difference in price exactly?

Also, should I take the extended warranty?


Last edited by Lebowski: 08-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
  #41
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,704
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
If you're shopping for the best price make sure to check out memory express, tigerdirect, ncix and any local stores as well. You should be able to pick up an older model during a back to school sale if you're frugal enough.

Towers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM
  #42
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
Yeah, I just noticed that, thanks for the heads up.

So I've pretty much made my choice.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...^34-230-454-TS
Thinking about buying one of these. They seem pretty similar, except one of them has a regular price of 1 700$ and the other 1 500$, so the 1 700$ looks more enticing at its refurbished price (1 029$) than the 1 500$ one (999$). What explains the difference in price exactly?

Also, should I take the extended warranty?
C'mon! I need the insight of some computers experts . Would like to purchase this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
If you're shopping for the best price make sure to check out memory express, tigerdirect, ncix and any local stores as well. You should be able to pick up an older model during a back to school sale if you're frugal enough.
Thanks, but I really doubt my local stores can offer anything cheaper than that. I'll check the other links though, but most of the people I've talked to up to now said Newegg was the best place to look at.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 12:52 AM
  #43
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
C'mon! I need the insight of some computers experts . Would like to purchase this week.
From what i can tell the BBK9 one is better.

Various internet ramblings say the main difference is hard drive speed. Supposedly the BBK9 has 7200RPM drives and the BBK11 has the slower 5400 RPM. Actually its 2 separate 500GB 7200RPM HDD's.
Also the BBK9 supposedly has some built in overclocking features.

BBK11 only seems more expensive because it's a newer revision.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:03 AM
  #44
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
From what i can tell the BBK9 one is better.

Various internet ramblings say the main difference is hard drive speed. Supposedly the BBK9 has 7200RPM drives and the BBK11 has the slower 5400 RPM. Actually its 2 separate 500GB 7200RPM HDD's.
Also the BBK9 supposedly has some built in overclocking features.

BBK11 only seems more expensive because it's a newer revision.
But the RPM thing cannot be verified on the Newegg spec sheet, right? Looks like I'll have to dig this up a bit.

Up to now, the only differences I've noted are the Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.1 GHz (compared to: Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz) and the Embedded 4G WiMAX mobile broadband technology (compared to: 4G WiMAX). Does that really justify a 200 bucks difference? Or is it because of the new "revision" (which means?, by the way :p)?

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
  #45
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
But the RPM thing cannot be verified on the Newegg spec sheet, right? Looks like I'll have to dig this up a bit.

Up to now, the only differences I've noted are the Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.1 GHz (compared to: Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz) and the Embedded 4G WiMAX mobile broadband technology (compared to: 4G WiMAX). Does that really justify a 200 bucks difference? Or is it because of the new "revision" (which means?, by the way :p)?
Those two things are the same btw, just phrased differently. A new revision is when the laptop maker makes some minor changes in design or components and they rename the model.

It's $200 bucks?
When I click the link I see a $20 difference.

The 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM thing can sort of be verified in that the BK11 specifically says in the title that it does have a 5400 RPM drive.

"ASUS G74 Series G74SX-BBK11 Notebook Intel Core i7 2670QM(2.20GHz) 17.3" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M "

Couple of threads asking the same question you did:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...or-G74SX-BBK11

http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Compute...11/td-p/477547

Spec sheet from another site which says it has 2x500GB 7200 RPM drives:
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-BBK.../dp/B007ZT3DLC

Given those things, and the fact that the one I think is better is actually cheaper it only makes sense to get that one

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
  #46
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Those two things are the same btw, just phrased differently. A new revision is when the laptop maker makes some minor changes in design or components and they rename the model.

It's $200 bucks?
When I click the link I see a $20 difference.
20 bucks is the difference on the refurbished prices. However, there's a 200 bucks margin if you buy a brand new product (1699$ for the BBK11 compared to 1499$ for the BBK9)

And thanks for the other infos, very appreciated. On another topic, what do you think about the extended warranty? Is it worth it?

Will probably buy a BBK9 tomorrow if everything goes well .

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:42 AM
  #47
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Griffen's Army.
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix60 View Post
20 bucks is the difference on the refurbished prices. However, there's a 200 bucks margin if you buy a brand new product (1699$ for the BBK11 compared to 1499$ for the BBK9)

And thanks for the other infos, very appreciated. On another topic, what do you think about the extended warranty? Is it worth it?

Will probably buy a BBK9 tomorrow if everything goes well .
I'm not seeing the option to buy non refurbs. I think they are all refurbished. If I do a search for the product only refurbs come up.

No idea on the warranty.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 10:37 PM
  #48
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
Alright!

So the BBK9 is officially on its way! . Thanks to everybody who contributed to this thread!

I will give some feedback on the product once I get it.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 11:15 PM
  #49
JAVO16
Registered User
 
JAVO16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,717
vCash: 500
Build it yourself and make the necessary research.

JAVO16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
  #50
Lebowski
Registered User
 
Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,776
vCash: 500
So I had some issues with my credit card at the time and they denied my transaction. I never even tried to buy a computer ever since, but now I'm seriously considering this one.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16834230580

I've got a couple quick questions here:

Should I stay away from refurbished items? The 600$ in savings compared to a brand new makes it a very appealing deal... But the limited warranty and past users experience in the feedback section kind of scare me.

And,

Would this be a good choice all things considered?

Also, I've been unable to see if it's a 5400 or 7200 RPM HDD...

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.