HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch rumor-Ottawa interested in Axelsson

Old
08-26-2006, 12:34 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the max View Post
that'll buy a lot of jello pudding!

ottawa wants axe? good for them. the bruins wanted their gm in a reasonable amount of time. funny how things work out.
Are you saying you didnt get your GM in a reasonable amount of time? You're lucky you didnt have to give up more picks, give up all-star olympian Rob Zamuner, and get stuck with Andreas Johansson.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 01:59 PM
Taz#24

Send a message via MSN to Taz#24
How about???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In the next paragraph,Garrioch writes it's doubtful Boston will trade Axelsson.Then he writes Ottawa is willing to move a defenseman in the deal

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senato...77397-sun.html

Volchenkov makes too much $$$ to be a #5 defenseman in a salary cap world
To Boston: Ryan KESLER and Peter SCHAEFER
To Ottawa: PJ AXELSSON and Matt COOKE
To Vancouver: Anton VOLCHENKOV and Wayne PRIMEAU

Salaries exchanges...Boston deals away roughly 3 mil (PRIMEAU at 1.125 and AXELSSON at 1.850) million and picks up roughly 3.1 million (SCHAEFER at 2.1 and KESLER at probably somewhere in the 1 per area).
Ottawa deals away roughly 3.4 VOLCHENKOV at 1.3 and SCHAEFER at 2.1) million and takes on 3.3 (AXELSSON at just over 1.8 and COOKE at just over 1.5)
Vancouver deals away roughly 2.5 (COOKE at 1.5 and KESLER potential 1) and takes on 2.4 (VOLCHENKOV's 1.3 and PRIMEAU 1.125)

Sounds like the perfect deal to me.

Everybody gets something they need/want. Boston needs gritty forwards and a defensive presence to replace some of what will be lost with AXELSSON's departure.

Ottawa wants AXELSSON, they get him and the land a suitable player to replace SCHAEFER in COOKE.

Vancouver is thin on D, VOLCHENKOV will go along way to help them in that department and the get a big shut down center iceman while dealing with the Ryan KESLER contract issue at the same time.

Taz#24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 02:17 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Are you saying you didnt get your GM in a reasonable amount of time? You're lucky you didnt have to give up more picks, give up all-star olympian Rob Zamuner, and get stuck with Andreas Johansson.
Dude, if you want us to somehow include Rob Zamuner I am sure it could be arranged somehow.

But seriously--no, I thought Ottawa handled the whole situation poorly and unprofessionally. Thats ok though, what goes around, comes around.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 02:18 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz#24 View Post

Salaries exchanges...Boston deals away roughly 3 mil (PRIMEAU at 1.125 and AXELSSON at 1.850) million and picks up roughly 3.1 million (SCHAEFER at 2.1 and KESLER at probably somewhere in the 1 per area).
Ottawa deals away roughly 3.4 VOLCHENKOV at 1.3 and SCHAEFER at 2.1) million and takes on 3.3 (AXELSSON at just over 1.8 and COOKE at just over 1.5)
Vancouver deals away roughly 2.5 (COOKE at 1.5 and KESLER potential 1) and takes on 2.4 (VOLCHENKOV's 1.3 and PRIMEAU 1.125)

Sounds like the perfect deal to me.

Everybody gets something they need/want. Boston needs gritty forwards and a defensive presence to replace some of what will be lost with AXELSSON's departure.

Ottawa wants AXELSSON, they get him and the land a suitable player to replace SCHAEFER in COOKE.

Vancouver is thin on D, VOLCHENKOV will go along way to help them in that department and the get a big shut down center iceman while dealing with the Ryan KESLER contract issue at the same time.
Ottawa doesn't do it. Schaefer, IMO, is just as valuable as Axelsson and has much more value than Cooke. This is a guy who scored 50 points last year, is the best board player in the league, and just commited to the team for 4 years.
Adding Volchenkov would make Ottawa give up too much for what they're getting in return/

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 04:40 PM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Aside from the fact PJ has been a real soldier for the B's, as said already, the Bruins don't do this deal mostly because they're a little thin on the left (Sturm, Kessel, Axelsson) and heavy on D (Chara, BStuart, Mara, Jurcina, MStuart, Alberts, Lashoff, Sigalet, York, Dempsey).

The only way I could see them doing it is if they then packaged up Volchenkov with another asset and acquired a decent top-6 forward. But at this point they are content to see how things play out with what they already have.

MeisterBruinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2006, 04:41 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Schaefer outscored both of them combined last season, because both of them missed significant time due to injuries... again.
Meanwhile, Schaefer just played his 3rd 80+ game season in 5 full seasons (the other 2 season were above 70 GP). He put up 50 points last season and he's expected to fulfill a bigger offensive role this season, in addition to his penalty-killing role.

We don't need Matt Cooke. Volchenkov significantly reduces the Cream-puffy-ness of our post-Chara defense-corps.
The idea (dreamed up by a bored reporter) of acquiring PJ Axelsson probably had as much thought behind it as acquiring the siblings of all of our players (Garrioch probably still thinks we missed the boat on Marcel Hossa and is eagerly awaiting the Nolan Schaefer trade).

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 12:20 AM
nmbr_24

I can't recall for sure, so if someone remembers this as well, let me know, Didn't Garrioch have an Axellson to Ottawa rumor a couple of years ago? Then didn't he say at the end of last year that Axellson was going to sign with Ottawa as a UFA, right before he resigned with Boston?
I can't see this trade happening because of a few reasons:

1. They are in the same division.
2. Ottawa is probably not thrilled that Boston hired Chiarelli(sp?)
3. Boston can't like the fact that Ottawa gave them verbal permission to talk to Chiarelli, then said they didn't follow proper procedure and wanted compensation.
4. The Bruins seem to really like Axellson and they have what looks like a pretty solid defense and they are a little weak on left wing.

I think if Ottawa really wanted Axellson, they would have to overpay by a lot, they would have to make Boston a better team, does anyone think they would actually do that knowingly?
I seriously doubt it.
Sounds like Garrioch is the one who wants Axellson.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:04 AM
WpgPens

While their are so many 3 way deals proposed I will throw one into the ring.

To Ottawa - Axelsson
To Boston - Malone and Oullet
To Pittsburgh - Volchenkov

I would think all three teams will get what they need.

WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:13 AM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgPens View Post
While their are so many 3 way deals proposed I will throw one into the ring.

To Ottawa - Axelsson
To Boston - Malone and Oullet
To Pittsburgh - Volchenkov

I would think all three teams will get what they need.
According to Pens fans, Ouellet's value is 0. And Malone..? He'd be alright if we hadn't just signed Kessel.

I'd pass.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
Agreed. Volchenkov looks to be Garrioch's new whipping boy. This trade doesn't make too much sense, neither does any rumour that sees us trade a defenceman for a forward at this point, with the signing of Kaygorodov. We have a full set of forwards. Specifically, we have 9 guys that should be on the top 3 lines, so, bringing in a guy like Axelsson sees someone demoted.

Plus, I still don't see the crisis that some people do in having 6 solid defenceman. He's affordable, and still a quality defender. There is no rush to move him, at least at this stage.
You mean Radek Bonk is finally gone after how many years of "Bonk to so-and-so" rumors?

Times change.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 05:22 AM
hdw

Alfie and PJ

Actually I don't think it would be a smart move to shift PJ to Ottawa even if a deal could be worked out.

The article seems based on the fact that they played well together with Indians during the lockout and at the olympics.

But NHL isn't neither SEL or Olympics.
Sure PJ would do very well on a top line with Alfie, as proven, but that would remove his services as one of the best checking forwards there is.
In Indians they wanted a line that was used to eachothers style, and could slot in the team without disrupting the 'normal' lines, so they created a pure NHL/Lockout line (and defensive pair).

At the olympics with all players available all the top teams have so much talent available that noone have normal 3 and 4 lines, everyone is running with 3 or for supercharged 1st lines.

PJ is my all time favourite player, both on and off ice (he's soo laid back, always seems to have time to talk to anyone, anywhere), and I'd love to see him on a 1st line, but that would be a waste of talent.

// hdw

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:04 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

I really don't see the Bruins trading PJ for Defensive help as the Bruins appear to be very deep themselves behind the blueline.I also feel PJ would be a perfect compliment playing on a line with Kessel making his transition a little easier.

Talks maybe happening between the 2 teams but unless the Sens are willing to give up some forward talent or if which has allready been mention a 3rd team steps in I don't see this particular trade happening.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original six View Post
I really don't see the Bruins trading PJ for Defensive help as the Bruins appear to be very deep themselves behind the blueline.I also feel PJ would be a perfect compliment playing on a line with Kessel making his transition a little easier.

Talks maybe happening between the 2 teams but unless the Sens are willing to give up some forward talent or if which has allready been mention a 3rd team steps in I don't see this particular trade happening.
In a vaccuum you may be right. Bruins are deep at D and not as much at forward. But with a salary cap this type of deal has so many other variables thrown on. What if we cant extend Brad Stuart? What if he needs to be dealt? Other than that--is it in the Bruins best interest to save 500k on the cap and get a much younger player with a good upside?

I love Axelsson. He is such a pleasure to watch and will be a key to this team's success....but this is a deal I very strongly consider.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 01:56 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Dude, if you want us to somehow include Rob Zamuner I am sure it could be arranged somehow.

But seriously--no, I thought Ottawa handled the whole situation poorly and unprofessionally. Thats ok though, what goes around, comes around.
Youre entitled to your own opinion of course, but if you look at Ottawas organisational history, at least when Bryden took ownership, I think they are definitely a class organisation, and I would expect any team to do what Ottawa did. If you look at it from the Sens perspective, I honestly don't see what they did wrong in the whole matter. Why wouldn't the team deserve compensation for taking an asst. GM who is a big asset to the team, and handles a lot of the work.

Although im not sure what part of the whole ordeal you found unprofessional, but looking at the scale of sports, if this was unprofessional, then some of the crap that goes on is cataclysmic.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 05:03 PM
John Belushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
This makes little to no sense for the Bruins, as we're deep at D and already short on LW.
That said..if this was a 3-team deal, it would make sense.
To Ott: Axelsson
To Edm: Volchenkov
To Bos: Torres

Axelsson=Torres?

John Belushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:43 PM
emo

Quote:
If Ottawa had really wanted PJ, they could have made a pitch when he was a FA. PJ signed a long-term deal to stay in Boston and Schaefer just signed a long-term deal to stay in Ottawa. They aren't moving.

emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Patrice37

Send a message via AIM to Patrice37
theres a reason we (boston) signed resigned him before FA and thats because axe is able to shutdown the most elite players in the NHL today while adding his own scoring touch...a perfect fir for a checking line winger and that is why we will not move PJ period.

Patrice37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:22 AM
BruinAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Mo27 View Post
Axelsson=Torres?
Correction: Axelsson > Torres.

Hard to compare players with such contrasting styles, but Axelsson is a way better checking winger than Torres is a scoring winger.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 10:36 AM
ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo View Post
If Ottawa had really wanted PJ, they could have made a pitch when he was a FA. PJ signed a long-term deal to stay in Boston and Schaefer just signed a long-term deal to stay in Ottawa. They aren't moving.
Axe never hit the FA market(Bruins resigned him before) but if you've any inside info of the Sens talking to Axe well under contract with the Bruins about him possibly playing with Alfie,notify Bettman ASAP as we would like compensation.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
This makes little to no sense for the Bruins, as we're deep at D and already short on LW.
That said..if this was a 3-team deal, it would make sense.
To Ott: Axelsson
To Edm: Volchenkov
To Bos: Torres

Do you honestly believe that Axelsson would bring anywhere near this return?

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinAddict View Post
Correction: Axelsson > Torres.

Hard to compare players with such contrasting styles, but Axelsson is a way better checking winger than Torres is a scoring winger.

Correction (in terms of trade value only): Axelsson < Torres' left skate

Old
08-28-2006, 11:29 AM
ficklenfuddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Correction (in terms of trade value only): Axelsson < Torres' left skate
Im guessing you are a man of stats! and or dont watch too much hockey.

As much as I enjoy Torres, I would never trade up PJ for him. I cant name 5 players that do a better job of shutting down a top line, and actually be some what decent in the offensive zone.

ficklenfuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficklenfuddle View Post
Im guessing you are a man of stats! and or dont watch too much hockey.

As much as I enjoy Torres, I would never trade up PJ for him. I cant name 5 players that do a better job of shutting down a top line, and actually be some what decent in the offensive zone.

Basically, this is the battle cry of the homer: "If you don't agree that the players on my team are the best in the world, than you obviously don't watch much hockey...."

I've watched both players quite a bit. Axelsson is a good defensive winger and that is it. He is not elite. He is not top five. He is nowhere near that caliber.

And, Torres, is a young, very inexpensive PF winger who scored 27 last year and looks like he could score 35 in the near future.

BTW, notice that I specifically emphasized TRADE VALUE in my post - not on ice impact. Torres youth and high potential would factor in a deal like this in a major way.

I'm sure I'm going to evoke some flames from a few of the more agressive homers on this board. But, you guys are kiding yourselfs if you think a solid defensive winger could bring anywhere near this return.

Old
08-28-2006, 12:31 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Everyone is so quick to trade Volchenkov, it's not like 1.3 is way overpaid or anything. The Sens are going to need him to help ease the loss of Chara's physical game, and trading him to Boston where we would have to play both him AND Chara 8 times a year would royally suck.

The Sens would need a top 2 line player back in return, even if they had to add something. We don't need another 3rd liner, not matter how good he is.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 12:41 PM
BruinAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
Basically, this is the battle cry of the homer: "If you don't agree that the players on my team are the best in the world, than you obviously don't watch much hockey...."

I've watched both players quite a bit. Axelsson is a good defensive winger and that is it. He is not elite. He is not top five. He is nowhere near that caliber.

And, Torres, is a young, very inexpensive PF winger who scored 27 last year and looks like he could score 35 in the near future.

BTW, notice that I specifically emphasized TRADE VALUE in my post - not on ice impact. Torres youth and high potential would factor in a deal like this in a major way.

I'm sure I'm going to evoke some flames from a few of the more agressive homers on this board. But, you guys are kiding yourselfs if you think a solid defensive winger could bring anywhere near this return.
Please provide a list of shut-down wingers who are better than Axelsson. Not top-5? That's laughable. We're not talking Selke-defensive skills, we're talking real defensive skills- offense should not come into the discussion.

I agree that Torres has more trade value, but that is only because his contract is so cheap. The guy really has consistency issues and I'll be surprised if he surpasses his goal total from last year. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy a lot, but I definitely wouldn't sell the farm to get him either. If it wasn't for the noise he made in the playoffs, no one would be talking about him right now.

Apparently, Ottawa values PJ enough to offer Volchenkov for him and the Bruins obviously hold him at very high value by turning that down wanting an NHL forward as well. PJ might not be flashy, but he's amazing at what he does and every team in the NHL would love to have him. Just because he doesn't put up huge points, doesn't mean he has a low trade value.

BruinAddict is offline   Reply With Quote