HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 08:51 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
He was slightly better than mediocre IMO........that's about the ceiling for Flyers goalies these days.
and bob's gonna win the vezina. that's as bad as the kings winning the cup. we better win like ten cups in a row for all this suffering. i feel like we took everyones high draft picks and almost was players that they figured out sucked before us for all our legitimately awesome players and threw them at poor giroux and was like, "here, do something with this". It used to be like a dog whistle, but now i can officially hear the rest of the league laughing at us.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
and bob's gonna win the vezina. that's as bad as the kings winning the cup. we better win like ten cups in a row for all this suffering. i feel like we took everyones high draft picks and almost was players that they figured out sucked before us for all our legitimately awesome players and threw them at poor giroux and was like, "here, do something with this". It used to be like a dog whistle, but now i can officially hear the rest of the league laughing at us. and its loud.
we might not agree often, but on this we certainly do..

Snider must be EPICLY furious...

Old
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Mason was good.

this team still stinks defensively.

goaltending is NOT the issue.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
It used to be like a dog whistle, but now i can officially hear the rest of the league laughing at us.
I know ..right now the Flyers and Holmgren are laughing stocks of the league with the trolling we're getting not even a year after we make a significant trade. I still like the Carter and Richards trades and don't want us to panic with our returns but considering our goaltending soap opera..the Bob trade is really haunting!

Old
04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
we might not agree often, but on this we certainly do..

Snider must be EPICLY furious...
you know it! he's like steinbrenner minus the winning. this might push him off the edge tho deeper into insanity. he'll be behind the bench next year. g.m and coach. crazy ol' snider. "i'll do it myself" he gets in goal.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Mason was good.

^^^ This guy=gets it.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Mason was good.

No but it's still PART of the problem in general (not necessarily tonight)! You "get it" halfway b/c you have this savant-like fixation on the D problem which is real but not the entire issue either...

We are still in goalie tryout mode ..now with Mason..this is a problem!

Old
04-09-2013, 09:07 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
People saying Mason played poorly obviously are blind. As far as I'm concerned the last goal (3rd) was stopped by him with a ridiculous save and then Gus put it in our own net. So what I saw was 2 goals on 32 shots. Great effort and as some have mentioned we saw saves tonight of the kind we havent seen in a long time. If Bryz was in net the score could have been like 6-1.

Interested in seeing more of Mason...soon.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:08 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
No but it's still PART of the problem in general (not necessarily tonight)! You "get it" halfway b/c you have this savant-like fixation on the D problem which is real but not the entire issue either...

We are still in goalie tryout mode ..now with Mason..this is a problem!
We haven't been in tryout mode for two years though. Bryz is a good start, but is being paid like an elite starter. The defense changes everything. EVERYTHING.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
People saying Mason played poorly obviously are blind. As far as I'm concerned the last goal (3rd) was stopped by him with a ridiculous save and then Gus put it in our own net. So what I saw was 2 goals on 32 shots. Great effort and as some have mentioned we saw saves tonight of the kind we havent seen in a long time. If Bryz was in net the score could have been like 6-1.

I thought he played slightly better than mediocre which I guess you can say is good but those couple of goals weren't all that great although Schenn did screen on the one. Tonight though def the goaltending was good enough if the offense played more inspired. I would like to see more of Mason since the Flyers are just about toast and we are still in goalie tryout mode....

Old
04-09-2013, 09:13 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
We haven't been in tryout mode for two years though. Bryz is a good start, but is being paid like an elite starter. The defense changes everything. EVERYTHING.
We still have seen inconsistent goaltending for two years....we keep thinking Bryz will play more consistently and at an elite status but remains to be seen. Bob was inconsistent b/c he was adjusting to a new role as a backup which wasn't easy for a guy with his energy and motivation. I remember Bryz being in awe of Bob's work ethic during training camp....particularly dry land training.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:15 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
We still have seen inconsistent goaltending for two years....we keep thinking Bryz will play more consistently and at an elite status but remains to be seen. Bob was inconsistent b/c he was adjusting to a new role as a backup which wasn't easy for a guy with his energy and motivation. I remember Bryz being in awe of Bob's work ethic during training camp....particularly dry land training.
It has been inconsistent, but we haven't been in goalie try out mode. Bryz has played what, like 95% of the games? It's not earth-shattering that a goalie gets a break once in a while.

I HOPE Mason plays many more games now, but I don't think it's been because Bryz has been awful. Just hasn't carried the team.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
It has been inconsistent, but we haven't been in goalie try out mode. Bryz has played what, like 95% of the games? It's not earth-shattering that a goalie gets a break once in a while.

I HOPE Mason plays many more games now, but I don't think it's been because Bryz has been awful. Just hasn't carried the team.
I know what you mean from a technical standpoint but it still feels like goalie tryouts b/c last year we kept trying out Bryz since we felt he needed reps to get back into form which he did for all of one month. In the meantime, it was Bob that needed the reps but b/c of Bryz's contract he was shelved more often than he should have. I remember last year a few games where Bob came in cold and carried the team in the game...lots of people would say he should get a string of starts but he wouldn't. Flyers really should have done what Boston did with Rask but again they pretty much couldn't b/c of that big contract. Bryz though bears most of the blame for not performing up to elite standards but management also didn't seem to assess Bryz as the right fit here..hence why now Mason is being brought in to tryout for the starting job. I mean Holmgren said that we got Mason to stay and "we will leave it at that" as he stated..

Old
04-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
You "get it" halfway b/c you have this savant-like fixation on the D problem which is real but not the entire issue either...
i don't think the D is the entire issue, though:

4 things from day 1 this year:

over all team D / men left open
many turnovers leading to high % scoring chances against
frequent lack of effort / hustle
other teams making us look like we are on a PK in our own zone, when we are 5 v 5

Old
04-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post

agreed..

Old
04-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

and here is the main problem, as i have said all year ..... and it's not the goaltending:

Giroux:
Quote:
"For some reason, we don't play 60 minutes."

Old
04-09-2013, 09:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
and here is the main problem, as i have said all year ..... and it's not the goaltending:

Giroux:"For some reason, we don't play 60 minutes."
For some reason this has been the lament since Stevens.....the goaltending regrettably has been part of that "we" due to inconsistency.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:

Giroux:
That is such a cliche (yet true).

The flyers defense is a joke along with below average goaltending. This makes for the type of season were seeing. The only time the flyers win is when they dominate puck possesion, therefore the puck stays out of our zone.

I'm interested to see what will be done in the offseason.

Old
04-09-2013, 09:41 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Thought the kid played well despite the outcome. Should have had goal one, which was the only weak goal I felt he let in tonight.

He should get the start Thurs. but knowing this orgnization he wont. Instead the overpaid loser who we have given countless chances to the past two years will be given another chance to be sniped shortside.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:01 PM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

He should get the start Thurs.
Yes, I'd like to see him play a bit more and see what he can do. The team is not gonna make the playoffs anyway

Old
04-09-2013, 10:04 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Keep starting Mason, amnesty Bryz and trade Briere for anything. You can only use one buyout per summer BTW. Mason was good but see if we can upgrade on him this summer. Our defense is awful and our biggest need is a puck mover and its not even close.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:05 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Thought the kid played well despite the outcome. Should have had goal one, which was the only weak goal I felt he let in tonight.

He should get the start Thurs. but knowing this orgnization he wont. Instead the overpaid loser who we have given countless chances to the past two years will be given another chance to be sniped shortside.
You forgot to mention how they needed 5 goals to win again.

Old
04-09-2013, 10:11 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Yes clearly the reason we lost this game was Mason. Please, the reason we suck this year is our inability to make crisp passes out of our own zone and get transition game going. The forwards have no chance with this group of defensemen(even the defense at beginning of the year).

Old
04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Yes clearly the reason we lost this game was Mason. Please, the reason we suck this year is our inability to make crisp passes out of our own zone and get transition game going. The forwards have no chance with this group of defensemen(even the defense at beginning of the year).
I think it's more the forwards than the D. The forwards are the ones constantly bumbling and fumbling the pucks. The only line that handles the breakout passes well is the Giroux/Voracek line, everyone else looks like a bowling ball just hit their stick.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:11 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Youre right. He didnt get it done tonight.

But what you are going to fail to admit that the BUM has earned every bit of criticism he has received. Hes been give all but two seasons to prove his worthiness and he has failed miserably.

Mason on the other hand has had a whole four periods.

Closed Thread