HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's keeping Rinne from demanding a trade?

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
What's keeping Rinne from demanding a trade?

What is stopping Pekka from demanding a trade? He has watched Suter, Weber (possibly), and Erat all try to leave. We are consistently getting throttled, giving him no scoring support, and our defense is hardly stellar. Money isn't an issue, since he's getting his 7x7 deal wherever he goes. There would be a market for him, to say the least.

Mitch Korn is certainly a draw here, but if I'm Pekka, I don't know why I'm not headed for a big market to play behind a good team (Philly, Toronto, Detroit if Howard goes UFA, etc.)

I am beyond thrilled that he is, since we would be the single worst team in the league without him, but why is he staying? Team loyalty for giving him a shot? Mitch Korn? Why?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

lol. Running out of drama so now we have to invent some?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

He is a true Pred. He signed on long term even knowing Suter/Weber may or may not be here. He's classy.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
Nashville Transplant

those 1-0 losses become 5 and 6-0 slaughters without Rinne... actually, that might be the best thing that could happen to this team. Stop making it LOOK like they're in these games because they're not. Statistically, they are, but the way this team passes (doesn't pass) the puck and takes the body (doesn't take the body,) it's toast as soon as Rinne gives one up. (and the one he gave up tonight... Mr. Softee.)

Old
04-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
No, I'm just curious what people think. During the last few games I've thought to myself, "I'm sure Rinne is loving this." And i was just curious why people thought he was being such a great teammate.

I am NOT insinuating he is asking for a trade. I think he may just be a genuinely good guy, just was curious what other's thought.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:20 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
i think its a valid question.. if i was rinne i wouldnt want to spend the peak of my career.... ermmm, here at this point.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
What is stopping Pekka from demanding a trade? He has watched Suter, Weber (possibly), and Erat all try to leave. We are consistently getting throttled, giving him no scoring support, and our defense is hardly stellar. Money isn't an issue, since he's getting his 7x7 deal wherever he goes. There would be a market for him, to say the least.

Mitch Korn is certainly a draw here, but if I'm Pekka, I don't know why I'm not headed for a big market to play behind a good team (Philly, Toronto, Detroit if Howard goes UFA, etc.)

I am beyond thrilled that he is, since we would be the single worst team in the league without him, but why is he staying? Team loyalty for giving him a shot? Mitch Korn? Why?
Are you serious with this??? Please tell me this post was a joke.

I swear we must have the worst fans in the entire NHL. I love how you include Weber in your list of players (possibly) leaving. HE IS HERE-THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. (and it was his actions that caused that).

If we were a perennial losing franchise, then I would be right on board with your post, but here's a newsflash- we aren't one. Yes, we are having a rare down year this year- it has sucked- no question about it. But for almost all of Pekka's run here, we have been one of the winningest franchises in the entire NHL, playing in front of some of the most passionate fans in the league.

I would be pretty disappointed in Pekka if one strike shortened, weird, injury riddled season would cause him to want out...

Maybe its just me, but everyone, fans and GM included, need to stop it with the "players wanting out of here" drama, and us getting our feelings hurt when it happens. It happens to EVERY franchise. And going back to your list of players who left or wanted to, all of them have extenuating circumstances- Suter wanted to go home, Weber wanted maximum $$, and Erat played and was happy here for a decade........

Just my 2 cents...........

Old
04-09-2013, 11:31 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
i think its a valid question.. if i was rinne i wouldnt want to spend the peak of my career.... ermmm, here at this point.
No, it is not a valid question. As I pointed out in my other reply, everyone on this unbearably negative board acts like we are a perennial losing franchise, and that we are just lucky to have any quality players wanting to play here.

WE ARE HAVING ONE BAD STRIKE SHORTENED SEASON, mainly because of unbelievable injuries.

Everyone seems to forget that until this year, we have been one of the most successful teams both on and off the ice.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Are you serious with this??? Please tell me this post was a joke.

I swear we must have the worst fans in the entire NHL. I love how you include Weber in your list of players (possibly) leaving. HE IS HERE-THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS. (and it was his actions that caused that).

If we were a perennial losing franchise, then I would be right on board with your post, but here's a newsflash- we aren't one. Yes, we are having a rare down year this year- it has sucked- no question about it. But for almost all of Pekka's run here, we have been one of the winningest franchises in the entire NHL, playing in front of some of the most passionate fans in the league.

I would be pretty disappointed in Pekka if one strike shortened, weird, injury riddled season would cause him to want out...

Maybe its just me, but everyone, fans and GM included, need to stop it with the "players wanting out of here" drama, and us getting our feelings hurt when it happens. It happens to EVERY franchise. And going back to your list of players who left or wanted to, all of them have extenuating circumstances- Suter wanted to go home, Weber wanted maximum $$, and Erat played and was happy here for a decade........

Just my 2 cents...........
I am not saying he "should" want out. I am just asking for opinions on why he is choosing to stick out a retooling at best, rebuld at worst, during the prime of his career. The point of this thread was to get talking about the positive things keeping him here.

For the record, yes, I do think weber *possibly* wanted out. He's played like he wants out IMO.

I understand your opinion. I'm not saying "We suck all the time, everyone should ask for a trade!". But when this many of our good players are heading different directions, I was curious as to opinions of why Rinne is staying.

Already regretting making this thread...sheesh.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:34 PM
NoNecksCurse

i think its a valid question.. im assuming we continue to miss the playoffs. obviously after one shortened losing season, id sure hope he wouldn't want out

Old
04-09-2013, 11:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
You lost me when you listed Philadelphia as a good team.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:37 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Nothing is preventing him from it except himself I supposed. What's preventing the likelihood of Rinne being traded even if he requested one is his cap hit and the insane package it would take to pique Poile's interest.

04-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Give them Rinne in net, and they'll beat the crap out of us.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I am not saying he "should" want out. I am just asking for opinions on why he is choosing to stick out a retooling at best, rebuld at worst, during the prime of his career. The point of this thread was to get talking about the positive things keeping him here.

For the record, yes, I do think weber *possibly* wanted out. He's played like he wants out IMO.

I understand your opinion. I'm not saying "We suck all the time, everyone should ask for a trade!". But when this many of our good players are heading different directions, I was curious as to opinions of why Rinne is staying.

Already regretting making this thread...sheesh.
Believe me even bringing up the possibility that Weber may want out after the season will bring down the wrath of this board.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:42 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Believe me even bringing up the possibility that Weber may want out after the season will bring down the wrath of this board.
Meh... saying Weber may have wanted out is one thing. Clamoring at any little piece of circumstantial evidence to prove that he absolutely did want out is another. One will lead to discussion. The other will draw the ire of fans who disagree.

I don't know why in every thread I see comments about how the "board" is going to act, or expressing dismay with what the "board" is saying about a game. I thought we were here to talk about hockey, not each other...

Old
04-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Meh... saying Weber may have wanted out is one thing. Clamoring at any little piece of circumstantial evidence to prove that he absolutely did want out is another. One will lead to discussion. The other will draw the ire of fans who disagree.

I don't know why in every thread I see comments about how the "board" is going to act, or expressing dismay with what the "board" is saying about a game. I thought we were here to talk about hockey, not each other...
That is one topic where we will all never agree. Some will always think Weber wanted to go to Philly, some will think that he just wanted to secure his contract regardless.

And in the end, it doesn't matter either way. The fact is that he is here long term (unless by some strange event Poile trades him). And that is all that matters.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:45 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Exactly- he also lists Toronto- we have been better than them in every way for almost a decade until this year.......

But lets not let the facts get in the way of a good argument..

Old
04-09-2013, 11:47 PM
dknash

Weber's offer sheet seemed like a pretty obvious poison pill to me.

Looks like it's working.

Hopefully at a minimum it gets better after next year when the ridiculous bonus is out of the way.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think Toronto with Rinne would be a pretty damn good team. They can't afford him, though. Less than $20m in cap space with only 12 players signed next year.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:50 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknash View Post
Weber's offer sheet seemed like a pretty obvious poison pill to me.

Looks like it's working.

Hopefully at a minimum it gets better after next year when the ridiculous bonus is out of the way.
What does Weber's contract have to do with anything? How is it a poison pill? Is it the reason Erat wanted out? Or the reason the team hasn't been playing well this year? I'm asking because this comment seems out of place to me.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:52 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

I think he can see that our offense is watching from the press box. I think the entire team knows this. Its a fluke season. It happens.

EDIT: Also want to add, the minute we get a top 3 player to sign here long term, we bash him for staying? lol

Old
04-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Top 6 Spaling

The teams I listed would both be significantly better than us with Rinne in net IMO. Toronto is poised to make the playoffs with Reimer in net, and they have a very young team. I predict Toronto has more points than us next year (though I think we have a shot at the playoffs).

Basing performance off past years isn't exactly fair. The immediate future (next year) looks awfully bleak IMO. I will reserve final judgement til I see how the draft and free agency go, but I think the window has shut on this team. It was open for about 2 years, and now it is gone. That said, give us 2-3 years and we will be back in the mix. Maybe that is what Rinne sees.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:54 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

There was a thread on the main boards not long ago asking people to explain Rinne's season. The OP had ulterior motives, as is commonplace, and wanted to know why Rinne could falter without catching flak while Miller gets the brunt of it. Well, Rinne isn't a selfish guy who calls out his teammates any chance he gets. He doesn't throw temper tantrums. He is a professional. He gets frustrated, sure, and I'm sure he lets the guys have it both on and off the ice. But he is a professional.

That's why he isn't asking for a trade.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:57 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
I think he can see that our offense is watching from the press box. I think the entire team knows this. Its a fluke season. It happens.

EDIT: Also want to add, the minute we get a top 3 player to sign here long term, we bash him for staying? lol
In what way I am bashing him? I have said numerous times in this thread that I appreciate it and am glad. It shows character and leadership on his part. I just wanted to speculate on his motives (though we'll never know).

Lots of words being put in my mouth (or keyboard, I guess) on this one. I was curious what people though his motivation was. That is all. I'm not bashing him. I'm not saying he should leave. I wanted to discuss why he wants to stay when Suter, Erat, and *gulp* POSSIBLY DEPENDING ON WHO YOU ASK Weber decided to take a different route.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 04-10-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Old
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
dknash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
What does Weber's contract have to do with anything? How is it a poison pill? Is it the reason Erat wanted out? Or the reason the team hasn't been playing well this year? I'm asking because this comment seems out of place to me.
There was some loose discussion on Weber's motives which I failed to quote.

I think the financial outlay to Weber in the first two years is having/ is going to have an impact on the rest of the roster. Could be wrong, but are we spending to cap this season? Maybe the lockout explains some of that, but I won't be surprised if we don't next year either, because we have such a large burden in the signing bonus. Less money available = weaker roster = worse results = player discontent?

Closed Thread