Notices

General Stars Talk VI: Return of the Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Chiasson said in an interview with Sturm that the first 3 words he learned in English were "yes, no, and toaster."

Alex Chiasson shall now and forever be known as Toaster.
Need an avatar with the #12 on the side of a white toaster with Stars' accents.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Not sure that we need another 4th line center line Boyd. I mean, we're already loaded to the gills with 4th liners.
They need a reliable right shot faceoff guy. Ideally, you hope they can land that with Bozak. If not, Gordon would be a reasonable signing.

Assuming Chiasson does make the team out of camp, he's the only possible right shot faceoff guy. He's also not an automatic guy in the dot that you assume can win a fair share of faceoffs. He's looked great in college and the AHL so I hope he can be that in the NHL as well, but there's not guarantee.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If Dallas fails to sign a guy like Bozak or trade for a 2nd/3rd center, a secondary target could be Boyd Gordon who is essentially a right shot version of Vernon Fiddler. I really wanted Dallas to sign him the year they got Fiddler. Boyd is 58% on the dot this year.
I wanted him then too and would like him this time around as well. He's absolutely awesome at faceoffs and can kill penalties as well.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Horton, Streit, Regehr, or nothing.
Regehr didn't look too hot tonight.

Neither did the rest of his team, really, but I'd still prefer a player like Streit.

04-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Zrhutch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Need an avatar with the #12 on the side of a white toaster with Stars' accents.
If I could do photoshop, I'd make that and a toaster with Chiasson's face popping out like bread

Old
04-09-2013, 11:14 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I wanted him then too and would like him this time around as well. He's absolutely awesome at faceoffs and can kill penalties as well.
He's a perfect 3rd/4th line center. Amazingly underrated.

I could see Joe going hard on the former Panthers connection. Overpaying Weiss for the #2C slot, Horton, etc. Weiss probably wouldn't come to a non-contender but you never know.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:16 PM
BigG44

Could have been lip service, but I read a report somewhere with a direct quote from Weiss that he'd love to finish his career as a Panther. IIRC, the article said he was talking a new contract with the team.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:18 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Not interested in bringing in former Panthers, plural. I would like Horton though, mostly for his ability to score but also because I now consider him a (soon to be) former Bruin.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:23 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrhutch View Post
Chiasson said in an interview with Sturm that the first 3 words he learned in English were "yes, no, and toaster."

Alex Chiasson shall now and forever be known as Toaster.
I know him as the most exciting forward prospect this team has seen in several seasons. Dude has game. Serious game.

Unlike other guys called up in the recent past, we aren't making excuses. He was given top line minutes, and he has totally earned them.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoahNow View Post
I'd disagree with the negatives you said about Bozak. I don't watch every Leafs game, but my roommate and best friend are huge fans so I watch them fairly often. Bozak isn't a big hitter or anthing, but he doesn't shy away from a hit or bail on a play. I'd say he is good to very good defensively with his style of play and that's why people question his top 6 role. His production hasn't been unreal or anything, but he creates chances and can make great plays. He is more suited to be a 2/3 behind a guy like Benn than he is to be a #1 on a team like Toronto.

I think he would be great to have while Eakin can develop more. I forget that Eakin is only 21 the way he plays so he has potential to grow into an even greater player!

5/25 I would be okay with, obviously would rather have him for less, but on an open market I could see him getting that. By the time that contract would be up he would be 32.
Like I said I haven't watched him play much so was going off what I'd heard some Toronto fans say. For the right price it sounds like he'd be a nice guy to have.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Zrhutch

Bozak would be good, but then we'd have 2 centers that have Steve Ott Syndrome- they're between 2C and 3C in talent caliber, with the tendency being a high quality 3C, like Stu Barnes. Granted Eakins will get alot better, but still.

My most interest (at this point I'm just elaborating on my previous post) is in Raymond. He plays a similar speedy game to Whitney, albeit he doesn't make nearly as many beautiful passes. A top six of Wizard-Benn-Toaster and Raymond-Eaks/Bozak/whoever-Cole would be virtually identical in build and would be so much fun to watch. Also, I'm biased cause I'm a killer with him in NHL 13, but we'll ignore that.

Streit is an interesting option. If BigRig/Morrow/Cannonton need more seasoning in the AHL, I could see him being signed short term to be a top pairing offensive D. The guy has some skill and size. He's also like Brent Burns in that he can play forward in a pinch.

Horton I'm not to high on because of his injury history, but he'd be cool to have on the 2nd line in a Chiasson like role.

I love that this team is young, improving, and has money to burn.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

I'd take Horton over Raymond. Same age, scores more(usually), has about 50 pounds on Raymond and while not a speed demon like Raymond he can really move.

Also not sure Streit is the best fit. Another small guy and we don't need to be adding any more of those on D. Makes more sense if they unload Robidas over the summer I reckon. I'd rather go for one of the older big and burly chaps instead of an older scrawny fellow.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:55 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Moving Robidas for Streit only makes sense in that you'd gain assets. I'd rather have Robidas on this team than Streit as well.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Why sign Horton when we have Chiasson....

I'd rather have Raymond to be that speedy 3rw akin to Cogliano on the Ducks.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:03 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Whitney - Benn - Chiasson
Smith/Fraser/Ritchie - Bozak - Eriksson
Cole - Eakin - Raymond
Nystrom - Fiddler - Roussel

Damn, that is a fast lineup.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:14 AM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Why sign Horton when we have Chiasson....

I'd rather have Raymond to be that speedy 3rw akin to Cogliano on the Ducks.
I'm down with that. Was hoping he was coming back in the Roy trade.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:20 AM
Arkham32

Im not that sold on raymond, he hasn't been the same since that back injury in cup finals. I would rather bring in Stalberg. Same age same offensive output just bigger don't know much about either of their defensive games though.

David Clarkson would be awesome to get to if Devils let him walk

Old
04-10-2013, 12:47 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
I'd only look at 2nd/3rd line centers. Don't need UFA wingers clogging things up, any vacancies there can be filled from within.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I'd only look at 2nd/3rd line centers. Don't need UFA wingers clogging things up, any vacancies there can be filled from within.
Dont forget after next season we have Whitney and then Cole coming off the books. A middle 6 guy on a 3-4 year contract isn't going to be in the way of anybody.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:08 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Dont forget after next season we have Whitney and then Cole coming off the books. A middle 6 guy on a 3-4 year contract isn't going to be in the way of anybody.
Exactly. Boston won the Cup with guys like Ryder getting 3rd line minutes. Depth isn't a problem it's a bonus. It's only a problem if your depth players can't score unless they get 18-20 minutes per game.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANN99 View Post
Im not that sold on raymond, he hasn't been the same since that back injury in cup finals. I would rather bring in Stalberg. Same age same offensive output just bigger don't know much about either of their defensive games though.

David Clarkson would be awesome to get to if Devils let him walk
I love Clarkie, but he wants (And he's going to get) top six money. If more than four million a season is too rich for your blood, then you have to just walk away because he might get five million a season.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:05 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

He's staying in New Jersey anyways, that's pretty much a guarantee.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
He's staying in New Jersey anyways, that's pretty much a guarantee.
Some people think that the Leafs are going to make a big play for him, and they can certainly make it rain.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:18 PM
BigG44

Friday's game is going to be very interesting. It's the first game in a few weeks where the team won't be looked at as a major underdog. Since this is a game a playoff team should win, and they think they're a playoff team, this is typically the type of game the Dallas Stars from the last 4 years would blow.

Really interested to see how this team responds to not being over matched on paper. The previous results in these situations this year didn't exactly end well most of the time.

Even if they do prove they're net stupid enough to look past teams, I'm still several games away from buying this team is actually competitive enough to shock everyone. Wounds are still too fresh from previous seasons to buy into this team. Hell ... I probably won't ever become a believer again until they actually lock up a spot this year or in the future. No reason to let them get my hopes up until they have a spot locked up. That win-and-in loss to Minnesota's AHL roster is just too brutal to put out of my mind.

I'll just keep enjoying the improved play though while it lasts. These last few games have actually been entertaining to watch.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
They're going to get blown out by the worst offense in the league, just like earlier this season. We all know how this goes. Until they prove otherwise, I'm with you Big.

Closed Thread