HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

4/9/13-Blues@Preds-"Barry Trotz Kind of Players"

Old
04-09-2013, 10:54 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Can you at least admit that tonight the callups showed little to fill positions in Oct.
Yes, I can admit that- but you cannot judge whether some of these guys are going to be here based on 2 or 3 games. I don't expect many of the callups to be here next year anyway.

If the team we are fielding right now is going to be the team that takes the ice in October, then we are royally screwed.

I wish people would get my main point- with the roster we are throwing out there, there is no way anyone should have any expectations about winning games or playing exciting hockey, etc, etc, etc. We are not going to score many goals the rest of the 7 games we have left- of course not!!

To me, all you can ask is that the players don't quit and stay competitive- and they have done exactly that. I don't get all the doom and gloom and "we are horrible with no future" posts........ Thats it.......

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:57 PM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Yes, I can admit that- but you cannot judge whether some of these guys are going to be here based on 2 or 3 games. I don't expect many of the callups to be here next year anyway.

If the team we are fielding right now is going to be the team that takes the ice in October, then we are royally screwed.

I wish people would get my main point- with the roster we are throwing out there, there is no way anyone should have any expectations about winning games or playing exciting hockey, etc, etc, etc. We are not going to score many goals the rest of the 7 games we have left- of course not!!

To me, all you can ask is that the players don't quit and stay competitive- and they have done exactly that. I don't get all the doom and gloom and "we are horrible with no future" posts........ Thats it.......
I agree wholeheartedly.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:59 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
No, we are a terrible, injured team with a very bright future. Rinne, Weber, Josi, Wilson, Bourque, Forsberg, Ellis, Hornqvist, and Blum is a very solid young core. This team will come back, I just think we're between windows of competitiveness right now. Restock and come back strong in 2-3 years.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Tonight only Rinne showed he belongs on the team next year, but one game isn't a very good sample.
While thats true these guys have been given a chance by poor play and injury to make an impression. Tonight and 7 more games to show they belong on the big team. If not them DP will have to find players to put on the ice in Oct. If he must move these guys to make the team more competitive thats what he will have to do. The UFA market is not all that grand this year. A top pick in the draft will supply one player who will have growing pains next year on the big squad the next picks come round 3 and below. So DP and Trotz will be on the hot seat to be competitive early next year or Trotz is gone before Christmas and DP retires and Fenton and unknown coach take over.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:14 PM
Byrddog

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/4...ghlights-score

Ok I am now accepting apploogies from those who scortched me for predicting the that April attendance would take a hit if the team faltered. I said this after 15 games and was beat down and some have been on this board tonight. I hate it I did not want to be right.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
glenngineer

I can handle having an AHL filled roster or a roster full of kids. I have no problem with us losing. What I have a major problem with is the way we've been losing all year. We used to be one of the hardest working teams in the NHL if not the hardest working team in the NHL. Where has that been this year? Where was it tonight? We aren't fast. We aren't big. We don't finish checks. We don't stand up for one another on the ice. What the freak are we then? I'm sorry but I could count on one hand how many guys showed up tonight. There is no fire. There is no passion. I know the season is over but you play for pride, you play for the fans, you play for a job for next season. This is horrible.

People say Trotz does the most with the least well this year he has done nothing with the talent he was given. We can blame injuries. We can blame the shortened season with no training camp. At the end of the day, it's excuses and I'm tired of them. Effort has nothing to do with anything but a desire to do your best everything you step foot on that ice and our guys have not put in 100% for more than a handful of games this year. If the players aren't motivating themselves, the coaches need to stick their foots so far up their arses that they won't be able to see straight for days. If that doesn't work, the GM needs to find someone who will get their attention.

Why did no one take up for Clune tonight? Guy gets leveled after the play and Watson, Smith and the defense pair stand there as he lay on the ice. Any other team and there is a brawl but we just stand there and act like it's ok to do. Some will say, if the defense jump in we lose the faceoff in their zone. Big freaking deal. It's one faceoff and it's not like we were doing anything offensively anyway so at the very least, stick up for your teammate. Then later in the third Backes boards Clune shoulder first. No penalty. Clune gets up and tries to engage Backes but nothing. It shouldn't have mattered because the other 4 guys on the ice should've been all over Backes like white on rice. Heaven forbid we get an instigator penalty. Heaven forbid we get a suspension. The season is over boys but this guy is your teammate, stand up for him. If Tootoo had done that to someone everyone on the other team is all over him. Rinne got bumped in the first I believe by Perron and what did we do, nothing. Sticks were whacking at Rinne's glove. What did we do, nothing.

I'm appalled at the lack of balls this team has. Would any of that gone on with Tootoo on the team? Would Scott Walker let that happen? Would Hartnell? Would O'Brien?

This team has no identity. We have a bunch of guys that wear the Preds jersey but don't understand what it is to wear it. It's like a collection of guys going out to collect a pay check. I honestly have never been so disgusted to be a fan of this team. The owners and management ask us to support the team yet this team is doing nothing for me to make me want to support them. I have never felt this way about the Preds, ever. I am always up for going to a game and honestly, I just don't care right now. Why should I, the players don't care. It's sad to see honestly because even when we were an expansion team and sucked horribly, they brought it every night. This team couldn't even bring a bag lunch without the bag ripping and all its contents falling on the ground and getting eaten by a bunch of hungrier ants.

Believe it or not I'm excited for the future but a culture change is going to have to happen and soon.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Top 6 Spaling

For the record, Ottawa lost Spezza for the whole year, Karlsson for most of the year, Anderson (the Vezina favorite pre-injury) for most of the year, and tons of other players (including Michalek) for long stretches. They are a playoff team.

I think this team's window of competition has shut. Out next window will be when Josi, Wilson, Bourque, Ellis, Blum, Forsberg, etc. are our core and Weber/Rinne/Hornqvist/Klein take the Erat/Legwand veteran roles. I would say 2-3 years.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
I can handle having an AHL filled roster or a roster full of kids. I have no problem with us losing. What I have a major problem with is the way we've been losing all year. We used to be one of the hardest working teams in the NHL if not the hardest working team in the NHL. Where has that been this year? Where was it tonight? We aren't fast. We aren't big. We don't finish checks. We don't stand up for one another on the ice. What the freak are we then? I'm sorry but I could count on one hand how many guys showed up tonight. There is no fire. There is no passion. I know the season is over but you play for pride, you play for the fans, you play for a job for next season. This is horrible.
Sorry I deleted most of your post, but I agree with everything you said. I think this first paragraph sums it up, I can't go to games it is so bad. The problem is, this team has been bad since day one, what is going on behind the scenes. Coaches, players, GM, owners?

I do know that I was promised by the owner's if we showed up, they would spend to the cap. 29 sell outs in a row. We showed up time to spend. No excuses.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:48 AM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
So you heard a couple of jack ***** pretending to know what they're talking about, and all of the sudden that is an indictment of the entire fan base? That isn't exactly fair...

I once heard the local LA media mispronounce Drew Doughty's name. I don't think that everyone in LA can't pronounce Doughty.
You're right. I apologize about the fan portion. I just had a splitting headache listening to this one yokel...

In honor of said apology I offer you a photo from earlier this season at Staples. Enjoy the stupidity:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD8.JPG‎ (86.4 KB, 9 views)

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:18 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/4...ghlights-score

Ok I am now accepting apploogies from those who scortched me for predicting the that April attendance would take a hit if the team faltered. I said this after 15 games and was beat down and some have been on this board tonight. I hate it I did not want to be right.
Last night was the second game all season that wasn't sold out. If you expected 100% fill for the entire season when we've never come close to something like that in team history ... wow. 16,991 out of a possible 17,113 ... over 99% fill ... and you complain about it .

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:57 AM
Stranger

The sellout streak was a joke. There were so many empty seats, free tickets and discounts.

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:18 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The sellout streak was a joke. There were so many empty seats, free tickets and discounts.
So you've taken Steve Violetta's role of tracking the three distinct attendance numbers ... tickets issued, sold, and used? I was unaware.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:23 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I don't think it's a joke at all. Only a small group of venues (Canadian markets, places like Fenway and Wrigley, and top end NFL) have your "true definition" of a sellout. Even with those, the secondary market has trouble selling EVERY ticket.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:42 AM
Nashville Transplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I don't think it's a joke at all. Only a small group of venues (Canadian markets, places like Fenway and Wrigley, and top end NFL) have your "true definition" of a sellout. Even with those, the secondary market has trouble selling EVERY ticket.
As a season ticket holder to the Los Angeles Kings games, starting back in the 75-76 season, and then periodically up through this past Stanley Cup winning season, I promise you that almost every time the PA announcer would say "Tonight's Attendance, 16,005 (The Forum) or 18,118 (Staples)," I could LMFAO because the Premiere or PR sections would be 50% full, yet I knew from first hand experience those people were essentially strongarmed into purchasing Kings tix if they wanted good Laker seats.

As recently as this post-Cup season I had the opportunity to go to a 5 game stretch in Feb, and all five were sellouts, and now while the PR sections are definitely CLOSER to capacity, there are small pockets of a few rows of seats in the 300's (which is more like the 600's because of the three levels of luxury boxes, rendering the players smaller than the old Nintendo guys) that remain empty. For those, Luc whips out his trusty Kings credit card and makes the game night purchase to allow the number to remain "a sellout."

Happens to the best of 'em

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Last night was the second game all season that wasn't sold out. If you expected 100% fill for the entire season when we've never come close to something like that in team history ... wow. 16,991 out of a possible 17,113 ... over 99% fill ... and you complain about it .

The number I saw in the article I posted was 15,063. Unlessthe Blues fans have just quit traveling to Nashville like they did in tthe past I have to think there were a couple thousand of them in the mix as well.

When I posted earlier in the year a concern about the fickle fanbase in Tennessee as a whole not just hockey I was blown off and chastized. I know for sure you were there in the years I refer too when we struggled to put 10 in the building on a night that was not Sat. The support has grown and from those days of 7500 hardcore supporters its probably arround 10k of them now and walk ups have been great finishing off the arena. This Fri and Sun should have pretty good crowds due to the weekend and yes I would expect they sell out these two. If they don't the issue could be larger than I thought and much worse than those who earlier in the year talked like our fanbase was as good as the big markets. We are passionate fans we tend to see any positive thing involved with this team be it players ar the acceptance of hockey in this market. Our core fans will be there reguardless the casual fan and corporate sections are tied to success. While one shortened season may not break the gains made over the past several years it will effect the bottom line. And I can care less that there is a billionaire in the ownership group he is not going to piss money into a team with no return. It early for that decsion but ther quality of the team on the ice this year has not been very good and the outlook for next year is not much better at this time. If upgrades are made and we have a legit 1st line next year instead of the mish mosh of recent I will eat all these words and attendance will not be an issue.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:47 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predatorbill View Post
Sorry I deleted most of your post, but I agree with everything you said. I think this first paragraph sums it up, I can't go to games it is so bad. The problem is, this team has been bad since day one, what is going on behind the scenes. Coaches, players, GM, owners?

I do know that I was promised by the owner's if we showed up, they would spend to the cap. 29 sell outs in a row. We showed up time to spend. No excuses.
I agree with you and Glenn.

The lack of heart, etc is disgusting. WTF is going on behind the scenes.

I don't really care about the attendance this year. Next year , if the team is so disgusting, it will start to become a big problem.......

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Bad Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
So you've taken Steve Violetta's role of tracking the three distinct attendance numbers ... tickets issued, sold, and used? I was unaware.
When there is buy one get one deals for different games, It's fairly easy to tell.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:38 AM
PFL615

I couldn't agree more with the posts on this team having a lack of toughness.
It is awful and embarrassing to see what other teams get away with when playing the.Preds.
I watch a lot of hockey and i have never seen guys lay on the ice.amd pick themselves up without people getting roughed up. No team attitude 1 reason this team is not very good.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post

People say Trotz does the most with the least well this year he has done nothing with the talent he was given. We can blame injuries. We can blame the shortened season with no training camp. At the end of the day, it's excuses and I'm tired of them. Effort has nothing to do with anything but a desire to do your best everything you step foot on that ice and our guys have not put in 100% for more than a handful of games this year. If the players aren't motivating themselves, the coaches need to stick their foots so far up their arses that they won't be able to see straight for days. If that doesn't work, the GM needs to find someone who will get their attention.

Why did no one take up for Clune tonight? Guy gets leveled after the play and Watson, Smith and the defense pair stand there as he lay on the ice. Any other team and there is a brawl but we just stand there and act like it's ok to do. Some will say, if the defense jump in we lose the faceoff in their zone. Big freaking deal. It's one faceoff and it's not like we were doing anything offensively anyway so at the very least, stick up for your teammate. Then later in the third Backes boards Clune shoulder first. No penalty. Clune gets up and tries to engage Backes but nothing. It shouldn't have mattered because the other 4 guys on the ice should've been all over Backes like white on rice. Heaven forbid we get an instigator penalty. Heaven forbid we get a suspension. The season is over boys but this guy is your teammate, stand up for him. If Tootoo had done that to someone everyone on the other team is all over him. Rinne got bumped in the first I believe by Perron and what did we do, nothing. Sticks were whacking at Rinne's glove. What did we do, nothing.

I'm appalled at the lack of balls this team has. Would any of that gone on with Tootoo on the team? Would Scott Walker let that happen? Would Hartnell? Would O'Brien?

This team has no identity. We have a bunch of guys that wear the Preds jersey but don't understand what it is to wear it. It's like a collection of guys going out to collect a pay check. I honestly have never been so disgusted to be a fan of this team. The owners and management ask us to support the team yet this team is doing nothing for me to make me want to support them. I have never felt this way about the Preds, ever. I am always up for going to a game and honestly, I just don't care right now. Why should I, the players don't care. It's sad to see honestly because even when we were an expansion team and sucked horribly, they brought it every night. This team couldn't even bring a bag lunch without the bag ripping and all its contents falling on the ground and getting eaten by a bunch of hungrier ants.

Believe it or not I'm excited for the future but a culture change is going to have to happen and soon.
Excatly how I feel!

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
The number I saw in the article I posted was 15,063. Unlessthe Blues fans have just quit traveling to Nashville like they did in tthe past I have to think there were a couple thousand of them in the mix as well.

When I posted earlier in the year a concern about the fickle fanbase in Tennessee as a whole not just hockey I was blown off and chastized. I know for sure you were there in the years I refer too when we struggled to put 10 in the building on a night that was not Sat. The support has grown and from those days of 7500 hardcore supporters its probably arround 10k of them now and walk ups have been great finishing off the arena. This Fri and Sun should have pretty good crowds due to the weekend and yes I would expect they sell out these two. If they don't the issue could be larger than I thought and much worse than those who earlier in the year talked like our fanbase was as good as the big markets. We are passionate fans we tend to see any positive thing involved with this team be it players ar the acceptance of hockey in this market. Our core fans will be there reguardless the casual fan and corporate sections are tied to success. While one shortened season may not break the gains made over the past several years it will effect the bottom line. And I can care less that there is a billionaire in the ownership group he is not going to piss money into a team with no return. It early for that decsion but ther quality of the team on the ice this year has not been very good and the outlook for next year is not much better at this time. If upgrades are made and we have a legit 1st line next year instead of the mish mosh of recent I will eat all these words and attendance will not be an issue.
The number I cited is the average attendance through 20 games. Someone tracking attendance so closely should know that.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
Legionnaire11

We're still trying to discredit the sellout streak? We must be one demented fanbase to try and crap on ourselves for selling out, either that or a lot of Preds fans live in and only get their news from Toronto.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
We're still trying to discredit the sellout streak? We must be one demented fanbase to try and crap on ourselves for selling out, either that or a lot of Preds fans live in and only get their news from Toronto.
I give up on the topic. I will reserve the right to rub some peoples nose in it at a later date.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:09 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
It boggles the mind- if there is one aspect of the Preds franchise that should be immune from the constant negative, doom and gloom talk, it's the fan support/attendance, but I guess not..

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

At the end of the season, they'll report the tickets sold to metro and we can all debate it then.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Amen.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote