HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LW Tyler Benson - Vancouver Giants, WHL (2016 Draft)

Old
04-07-2013, 05:51 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Benson and SSAC won the Western Canadians today with a 5-3 win over NSWC.
Benson had a hat trick, including the game/gold medal winner.
He finished tied for the tournament lead in scoring with teammate David Quenneville (5GP 4+9=13) and Winnipeg Hawks forward Nolan Patrick (5GP 6+7=13), but if you use goals as a tiebreaker, he ends up first (5GP 9+4=13).

This tournament was my first time seeing the kid play outside of highlights and I can say that he looks like the real deal.
His puck skills and vision are elite when compared to his peers and he's so calm out there.
He just seems to make the right play and makes it look easy.
This tournament was filled with great players but every time he was out there, he just managed to grab my attention.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
He finished tied for the tournament lead in scoring with teammate David Quenneville (5GP 4+9=13) and Winnipeg Hawks forward Nolan Patrick (5GP 6+7=13), but if you use goals as a tiebreaker, he ends up first (5GP 9+4=13).

This tournament was my first time seeing the kid play outside of highlights and I can say that he looks like the real deal.
His puck skills and vision are elite when compared to his peers and he's so calm out there.
This tournament was filled with great players but every time he was out there, he just managed to grab my attention.
Thanks for the update. It will be wonderful to see Benson and Day dance the dance of 1000 dances when they lock horns at the upcoming All State All-Canadian game.

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:45 AM
puckfan13

Quote:

Nice little piece of redemption for Quenneville and Benson after losing to NWSC at Westerns last year in Stony Plain.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:49 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
5'11 now, he might be 6'2 by the time he's 18.
I seriously doubt he'll grow more than an inch. He's already taller than his dad and his brother Cole who plays on the Oil King is an extremely generous 5'8". Don't see him playing at 5'11"/6' hindering his game at the next level though anyways. Just wouldn't count on him growing, he's just an early maturing kid, he's already 180 lbs. A guy his height playing his style of game probably doesn't want to get much higher than 205 lbs at the pro level even.

I will also say this, he will be touted as having the same kind of defensive acumen as Couturier/Monahan, maybe it won't be that extreme of hype but his defensive game/battle level/effort on both sides of the puck is amazing for a kid with his offensive abilities.

Old
04-08-2013, 09:58 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I seriously doubt he'll grow more than an inch. He's already taller than his dad and his brother Cole who plays on the Oil King is an extremely generous 5'8". Don't see him playing at 5'11"/6' hindering his game at the next level though anyways. Just wouldn't count on him growing, he's just an early maturing kid, he's already 180 lbs. A guy his height playing his style of game probably doesn't want to get much higher than 205 lbs at the pro level even.

I will also say this, he will be touted as having the same kind of defensive acumen as Couturier/Monahan, maybe it won't be that extreme of hype but his defensive game/battle level/effort on both sides of the puck is amazing for a kid with his offensive abilities.
Loubardias on Shaw broadcast of Kelowna-Kamloops last night threw out a Brayden Schenn comparison.

"A better skating Brayden Schenn", I believe was the quote, which shows some defensive acumen. Hopefully he plays as rugged.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
jfb392

Quote:
That's something that was definitely noticeable too.
Seemingly always the first one back and is incredibly adept at stripping opponents of pucks with his stick (IIRC, managed to a few times without even breaking stride).

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Loubardias on Shaw broadcast of Kelowna-Kamloops last night threw out a Brayden Schenn comparison.

"A better skating Brayden Schenn", I believe was the quote, which shows some defensive acumen. Hopefully he plays as rugged.
Now that you mention it, that seems like a good comparison.
Definitely displayed a similar edge from what I saw.

Craig Button also floated an Iginla comparison a few weeks ago and even though he loves to throw out incredibly lofty ones, I can see a bit of it.
He looked to have a special touch with the puck like Iggy.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:24 PM
17Kurri

Quote:

You might be right, but he's got at leasr 3-4 prime growing years ahead of him, so I think there's a good chance of him putting on a few more inches and pounds in that time. I would not be surprised with an end product of 6'2" 210lbs, tbh.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:55 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
You might be right, but he's got at leasr 3-4 prime growing years ahead of him, so I think there's a good chance of him putting on a few more inches and pounds in that time. I would not be surprised with an end product of 6'2" 210lbs, tbh.
I would be very surprised if he ended up being that big. I already explained why I think he'll be a pretty similar size going forward. The odds are pretty far against him, so I feel pretty comfortable with my prediction. In terms of lbs I don't think he would even want to be above 210 lbs. Really no reason for him to gain that much weight for playing in the WHL, he's only 14. It's about improving his explosiveness, core strength and leg strength at this point going forward. Don't see that being a jump of about 30 lbs. Maybe a few seasons into the NHL but you seem to be randomly asserting he'll grow a whole bunch height and weight wise.

And the Brayden Schenn comparison is a pretty good one, I think I can get on board with that for now.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:37 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
I would be very surprised if he ended up being that big. I already explained why I think he'll be a pretty similar size going forward. The odds are pretty far against him, so I feel pretty comfortable with my prediction. In terms of lbs I don't think he would even want to be above 210 lbs. Really no reason for him to gain that much weight for playing in the WHL, he's only 14. It's about improving his explosiveness, core strength and leg strength at this point going forward. Don't see that being a jump of about 30 lbs. Maybe a few seasons into the NHL but you seem to be randomly asserting he'll grow a whole bunch height and weight wise.

And the Brayden Schenn comparison is a pretty good one, I think I can get on board with that for now.
My lbs projections were based on a 3-4 year growth window of 3-4 inches.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:03 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
I'm getting pretty excited to see him in a Giants uniform

04-10-2013, 07:21 AM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
5'11 now, he might be 6'2 by the time he's 18.
Not necessarily directed at you, but at all 'height' based posts - He might but its impossible to predict a persons max hight without accurate barefoot measurements taken at intervals over time so that they can be plotted and Thats science. Im surprised that are so many max height predictions out there that have no foundation. If the kid has skill, and skill that can project a couple of years out thats really all that matters.

most accurate growth guide:
http://taurus.usask.ca/growthutility/

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2hockey View Post
Not necessarily directed at you, but at all 'height' based posts - He might but its impossible to predict a persons max hight without accurate barefoot measurements taken at intervals over time so that they can be plotted and Thats science. Im surprised that are so many max height predictions out there that have no foundation. If the kid has skill, and skill that can project a couple of years out thats really all that matters.

most accurate growth guide:
http://taurus.usask.ca/growthutility/
Even with that it's tough to predict. I remember doing that at 15 and it told me I would be 5'9" and I was already 5'8". I'm 6'0" five years later.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:24 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

People seem to have their growth spurts at 13-15 or 17-18. If he's not above 5'8 by 17 he's probably done.

Seth Jones was 6'3 at 14 and hasn't grown an inch. Hopefully a top talent like Benson doesn't suffer the same fate but if he does he'll have to work that much harder.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Stahl2Stall
Drawing Frog 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
People seem to have their growth spurts at 13-15 or 17-18. If he's not above 5'8 by 17 he's probably done.

Seth Jones was 6'3 at 14 and hasn't grown an inch. Hopefully a top talent like Benson doesn't suffer the same fate but if he does he'll have to work that much harder.
Dennis Rodman was only 5'10 when he graduated highschool, people hit growth spurts at all different ages

Stahl2Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:40 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahl2Stall View Post
Dennis Rodman was only 5'10 when he graduated highschool, people hit growth spurts at all different ages
Yes, at 18, in the 17-18 slot. There's going to be some outliers, but if you look at peoples growth spurts, they come at the start of the teenage years or the end. Almost always. Some will grow earlier (Usually due to out of control growth hormone) or later but if you look at sports players heights, they usually will have had their growth spurts (If they did) in those two intervals. Not a biologist, just an observation that I would be if I researched it would hold water.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
PorkChopSandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Even with that it's tough to predict. I remember doing that at 15 and it told me I would be 5'9" and I was already 5'8". I'm 6'0" five years later.
Thats within the same percentile and standard deviation range, so that is valid.

I guess i just see a lot of speculation on how big players are going to be and without some real science to back it up its much better IMO to look at their skill set today, see if it projects ahead by a couple of years and repeat the analysis as time goes on. If a player doesnt grow and it 'catches up with him' it will show on the ice, not just on the measure.

You are absolutely correct, and are proof yourself that 5.8 at 15 can be 6.0 five years later, etc ... and i realise that you cant teach size, but it shouldnt be something that's guessed upon - ie lets take player A because i think he will be 6.4 since he is 5.11 now, even though player B is better suited and is 2 inches shorter. Unless a players stats are accurate and tracked over time a scout really has no idea the range of adult size that a player could be. We all know that, in general, the stats are not necessarily accurate until they attend a camp/combine that records them accurately.

my 2 cents.

PorkChopSandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Scarecrow Boat

goal and assist in his first WHL preseason period. There's still another period to play.

I'm guessing they can't grant exceptional status late can they lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 08:17 PM
jfb392

He's been recalled by the Giants and will be in the lineup tomorrow against Seattle.

He just finished up his first few games with Pursuit of Excellence at the NAHL Showcase in Blaine, Minnesota.
The team won four of their five games and he's tied for the NAPHL U18 scoring lead already.

Edit: Don't know what I was reading, he hasn't been recalled.
Must have been a case of it being late and seeing too many names in a day..

Last edited by jfb392: 09-25-2013 at 05:21 PM.
Old
09-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post

Haven't people been reporting that Jones is 6'4 but looks 6'5?

Hansen 36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 11:53 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
He's been recalled by the Giants and will be in the lineup tomorrow against Seattle.

He just finished up his first few games with Pursuit of Excellence at the NAHL Showcase in Blaine, Minnesota.
The team won four of their five games and he's tied for the NAPHL U18 scoring lead already.
Him against Barzal will be a great debut. Hope he holds his own against him.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Him against Barzal will be a great debut. Hope he holds his own against him.
bump...
Game starts in half an hour. It's Shaw's tv game of the week for anyone who gets Shaw in western Canada. Some interesting new guys for both teams aside from the big 2. Looking forward to seeing this one....

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:41 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
How many games can he play in the Dub?

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Andy Dufresne

The official limit is 5 games. Until his midget teams season ends that is, then he can play full time. Brayden Point played in every playoff game (and kicked ass which is why I remember him as an example) a couple years ago due to that. There are injury exceptions also, which led to Matt Needham playing about 20? (reg.season) games with Kamloops as well.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:00 PM
hockeyGod

Heading to the game. Anyone else to keep an eye on out there?

hockeyGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyGod View Post
Heading to the game. Anyone else to keep an eye on out there?
From Seattle: Matthew Barzal and Shea Theodore for sure. Roberts Lipsbergs is also a guy to look out for.

Vancouver: Dmitry Osipov, Ty Ronning, and some other undrafted guys can stick out. Then you have guys like Geertsen, Houck, and Kulak that have been drafted who can make an impact.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote