HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the deal, or lack thereof, with JT?

Old
04-09-2013, 11:36 PM
BKIsles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Tell me which Tavares you prefer ? Or, to state it plainly, he has the same amount of points in the last 25 games, that he had in 11 less games. He's GOT to step it up or we are doomed.
I'm not sure what you don't see here. Boyes and Moulson's play has been quite poor in the offensive zone for a long stretch now. Also, while I think Vis and especially Hickey have played very well defensively, they have not forechecked well, and they seem to be the defensive line most paired with the Tavares line.

The Islanders score a ton of goals in transition, but I think Tavares becomes an elite player when you allow him to make plays in the offensive zone, he has not been provided that opportunity much the past 20 games or so.

JT hasn't looked like he's been enjoying himself, probably because he's one of the most focused players to ever suit up for us, and he's probably taking the brunt of the pressure during this playoff push. He eventually needs top line help, which I believe will come in the form of Strome at RW, sooner than later, IMO.

BKIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:52 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Past five games:

Tavares: 3g 6pts +3
Moulson: 2g 4pts +3
Baoyes: 0g 4 pts +3

While the manner in which it is being accomplished may not be pretty, the truth is the line is producing at a clip that's pretty respectable for a first line in today's NHL. With the other three lines all playing very well, our forward lineup is looking very strong and deep (did not think I'd find myself saying that this season).

While I am not a fan at all of Boyes, and absolutely agree there are a number of players that would look better on the first line wings than the two players currently there, if that line is producing, then why weaken one of the other lines by removing a strong player from it? Right now we have four lines that are producing and contributing. As long as that continues, I don't think it's wise to shake that up.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:19 AM
cjdv16

Moulson and Boyes... and hence, JT have looked a bit better of late (last several games).

JT can't be expected to do it all.

Also, JT looks a step slower -- tired.

He'll get his second wind.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:42 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Past five games:

Tavares: 3g 6pts +3
Moulson: 2g 4pts +3
Baoyes: 0g 4 pts +3

While the manner in which it is being accomplished may not be pretty, the truth is the line is producing at a clip that's pretty respectable for a first line in today's NHL. With the other three lines all playing very well, our forward lineup is looking very strong and deep (did not think I'd find myself saying that this season).

While I am not a fan at all of Boyes, and absolutely agree there are a number of players that would look better on the first line wings than the two players currently there, if that line is producing, then why weaken one of the other lines by removing a strong player from it? Right now we have four lines that are producing and contributing. As long as that continues, I don't think it's wise to shake that up.
I also think the 1st line (along with the rest of the team) is buying into playing more responsibly. Note the pluses. It may cost them some chances and therefore points, but their 5 on 5 play must be better all-around.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Hyphistos

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I also think the 1st line (along with the rest of the team) is buying into playing more responsibly. Note the pluses. It may cost them some chances and therefore points, but their 5 on 5 play must be better all-around.
Well, I guess we all know how these stats can be interpreted in any way you want. Take the +3 of Tavares for example. From these 3 points, he got 2 alone in the one game with Grabner. What does this tell us? Not much, I guess, but the same is true for the +3, it's just a too small sample size. But in general I agree of course, it is nice that especially Moulson can score again on ES.

Hyphistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
scott99

Tavares played a wonderful game last night against the Flyers. He was in beast mode. Love seeing him play that way. The top line had a lot of chances, and the Bailey/Nielsen/Okposo line was dominating as well. I think we have 3 lines that can produce, with the Grabner/Aucoin/McDonald line looking good as well. I think next season we will see Nelson in the Aucoin slot, and that line will be so much better.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:50 PM
DanNYI2191

It's almost like he started to take it easy as soon as the 12-51-21 line started to do something.

DanNYI2191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:39 PM
LeapOnOver

Ya know, there is a reason why that lines starts of strong and then plateau's a little and it's pretty simple. Even though they provide offense they are still a defense first mentality. They thrive on other teams making errors and capitalizing on them. Early in the season that happens. Teams are rusty. Later in the season you have to work harder for those goals. Rookies have games under their belts, the mistakes are not in abundance like they are in the beginning of the season. The line hasn't showed any glaring defensive weaknesses (if you take into account the actual limit in skill level of Boyes and Moulson). So I really am not upset with the line, I just think it's taxing on JT right now and I'm hoping he doesn't start to hate playing here.

LeapOnOver is offline   Reply With Quote