HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Thread About Nothing Part 189: Remembering Mogilny 100 Years From Now

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 12:54 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
last year I went through a phase where I teed off with a 7 iron, every hole (I think I even posted about the results, which were good…) this year I might try hitting every shot with a 3 wood, see how that goes
Though teeing off with a 7 on every hole is a bit drastic, that doesnt surprise me at all. My guess is the average recreational golfer would probably score better if they hit a 5-iron off the tee, even on Par 5s, than they would hitting driver or 3-wood.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Jersey Man
Mad Dog

I suck using a driver so I use a 7-iron. My proudest golf moment was getting on the green on par 5 in 3 shots using a 7-iron each time.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:07 AM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

>ask girl out on a date
>she says yes
>ask her what time her dad can drive us to the movies
>she just gives me a blank stare
>ok well you guys should pick me up around 7
>give her a fist bump and run home in excitement
>her and her dad pick me up around 7
>no one says a word on the way there
>he drops us off
>as I'm getting out of the car I stop and ask him for the money for the movie
>he just stares at me
>politely inform him movies don't grow on trees
>he gives me $30
>I clear my throat and keep my hand out
>he gives me another $10
>I roll my eyes and say "thanks, guy" really sarcastically
>girl I asked out is looking super embarrassed
>get to the ticket window
>ask her "did your dad give you any money for the movie?"
>she looks like she's about to cry
>"well you should call him because he only gave me enough for myself and some food"
>we didn't go on a second date

what the **** went wrong?

Old
04-10-2013, 01:36 AM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Though teeing off with a 7 on every hole is a bit drastic, that doesnt surprise me at all. My guess is the average recreational golfer would probably score better if they hit a 5-iron off the tee, even on Par 5s, than they would hitting driver or 3-wood.
I don't understand the difficulty people have using a driver, it's the easiest club to use in my opinion. I understand it's a common problem but I can't relate because that's the one part of my game that has always been solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
I suck using a driver so I use a 7-iron. My proudest golf moment was getting on the green on par 5 in 3 shots using a 7-iron each time.
You don't like using your lower irons?

Old
04-10-2013, 05:21 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Man View Post
holy balls is warm out.
I think yesterday every attractive woman in Hartford decided to wear a skirt or dress on the same day. I love the start of spring.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott04 View Post
I've spent enough time (maybe too much) at the range the last couple of years. I go plenty, work out kinks of my swing, try adjusting things, etc. But I always get back to the point where I'm not doing myself any more favors by still going there, mostly because you can't replicate the hitting surface well enough. I hit every iron and wedge so clean at the range by now that you would think I've been playing at a high level my entire life. Sometimes it can translate to a course, sometimes not. I'm not always getting a perfect lie on a flat artificial surface like at the range, so if I get too used to that, I don't hit down enough on the ball, or I struggling with hitting and adjusting to the lie of the ball. I'm not saying the range doesn't have its purpose. It definitely does, but I'm at the point where it doesn't serve too much of a purpose anymore unless there's something I'm doing wrong and need to work out. My issue, today especially, we a lot of staying down and through my swing. Topping the ball and/or pulling up too much and just screwing up swings. But that's something that i just have to do and won't matter where I'm at trying to fix it.

By the same token though, it helped a ton this season alone in some areas. Last time I was at the range (2-3 weeks ago maybe) I got a bucket of 100 golf balls, but really didn't have the energy for more than about 60 of them. I wasn't going to waste them so I just decided to do easy chips with wedges to run through them since its quick and easy. The two rounds I've played this year have been saved purely by my chipping and those easy little shots inside 50 yards. Now its just an issue of touch and feel to get the distance a little more precise.

Getting a couple lessons is definitely something I need to do and have been meaning to for the last year or so. Especially thought I would during the winter but never did. We'll see how the near future goes. May still do that soon.
I've played with a lot of guys with the same issue and I even had it to a degree when I first played. They seem to want to pick the ball off the grass more than hit down into the ball and take a nice divot. Divots are the golf gods saying "nice swing" - even if it doesn't go where you want. I started getting consistent distances and being able to pick the right club when I started hitting down into the ground and letting the club do the work the way it's supposed to. Of course you're going to hit fat a couple of times until you get a consistent swing and stop swaying your hips too much or dropping that shoulder trying to torque out a monster hit, but that's all part of it.

2 lessons by a golf pro that is not a swing mechanice nazi will do you wonders. Like BordeursCups said, embrace your natural swing (as long as it's not crazy awkward) and the pro will teach you the keys to a smooth consistent motion to put that swing to work for you in very little time with a few tips to get you back on track when playing on your own. Well worth it. Another thing that totally changed my game was my grip strength. I had a death grip on mine thinking you can use your arms to power through the ball when it actually takes away club head speed. Arms like rubber, holding the club only tight enough to keep it from twisting or flying out of your hands was his suggestion. Power comes from the hips and they lead the shoulders.

Man now I really want to play. I smell a sick day Friday.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
04-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I've played with a lot of guys with the same issue and I even had it to a degree when I first played. They seem to want to pick the ball off the grass more than hit down into the ball and take a nice divot. Divots are the golf gods saying "nice swing" - even if it doesn't go where you want. I started getting consistent distances and being able to pick the right club when I started hitting down into the ground and letting the club do the work the way it's supposed to. Of course you're going to hit fat a couple of times until you get a consistent swing and stop swaying your hips too much or dropping that shoulder trying to torque out a monster hit, but that's all part of it.

2 lessons by a golf pro that is not a swing mechanice nazi will do you wonders. Like BordeursCups said, embrace your natural swing (as long as it's not crazy awkward) and the pro will teach you the keys to a smooth consistent motion to put that swing to work for you in very little time with a few tips to get you back on track when playing on your own. Well worth it. Another thing that totally changed my game was my grip strength. I had a death grip on mine thinking you can use your arms to power through the ball when it actually takes away club head speed. Arms like rubber, holding the club only tight enough to keep it from twisting or flying out of your hands was his suggestion. Power comes from the hips and they lead the shoulders.

And this is why hockey players are "natural" golfers. They're used to hitting the ice behind the puck, same principle.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Went to the range yesterday. Took until about 10 balls left for me to find a decent swing. I'm a bit sore now, but my bro jut called asking if I wanted to go golfing with him this afternoon. So I guess I'm going out today. I have a bad feeling my score is gonna be ugly...

Old
04-10-2013, 10:41 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
yeah I specifically was drastic, just got fed up of driving the ball 275 yards, but not in a straight line lol. I got a lot of strange looks for it, but the 7 iron works (Rhodes, I couldn’t hit a 3 iron if my life depended on it). I think this year I’ll split the difference and hit a 3 wood off of every tee box.

man, people who don’t like golf, how boring is this tan right now?

Old
04-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
yeah I specifically was drastic, just got fed up of driving the ball 275 yards, but not in a straight line lol. I got a lot of strange looks for it, but the 7 iron works (Rhodes, I couldn’t hit a 3 iron if my life depended on it). I think this year I’ll split the difference and hit a 3 wood off of every tee box.

man, people who don’t like golf, how boring is this tan right now?

not nearly as bad as when the people who don't like wrestling have to endure that discussion...

Old
04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

not nearly as bad as when the people who don't like wrestling have to endure that discussion...
thats exactly what made me post that- having to read through wrestlemania crap. or fishing crap. or, far worse, DRINKING crap. lordy jesus. im just glad that i'm remotely interested in golfing crap

Old
04-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Found this gem buying pucks.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
thats exactly what made me post that- having to read through wrestlemania crap. or fishing crap. or, far worse, DRINKING crap. lordy jesus. im just glad that i'm remotely interested in golfing crap
hockey, fishing, beer, and golf.

how you can be a fan of one and not the others I have no idea.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Found this gem buying pucks.

Hahaha I saw that too on Hockey Monkey, fantastic.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

haha - we should all go find that review helpful.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:14 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

yeah idk….beer (and alcohol in general) is just nasty to me. which is why I prefer the not-as-legal alternative…I went fishing a few times, and it was maybe the most bored I’ve been, outside of attending church as a lad.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:16 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Masters starts tomorrow! So pumped. The one time per year I really get into golf on TV. My god, what I'd do to play that course.

I'm going to get a few more rounds in then go tackle bethpage black on a Sunday. That's the true test...

Old
04-10-2013, 01:42 PM
EliasFTW

Quote:

Hockey, fishing, beer, bowling

Old
04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

yeah I'm gonna have to toss bowling in with the wrestling.

*BZZZZ*

I can meet you half way with darts though.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Scott04

Quote:

Its just funny that I don't hit down enough on the course, but I definitely do at the range. Pretty clearly hit my club into the mat (not too much or anything, but the amount you're supposed to) with my irons at the range. The height/trajectory I get, especially with my smaller irons and wedges is exactly what you would want. So it just isn't always translating on the course (although it does a lot of times as well). Maybe its just an issue of adjusting to the different lies. Or maybe I just get too in my head (this is DEFINITELY something I do, no matter what my "problem" is in any given round).

Its all a consistency thing with me. And that's mostly what I would want to get out of a lesson anyway. Each of the last couple of years I get in a groove, do really well, usually what I would call my "best ever" results, and then I lose it. By lose it, I mean like an almost complete inability to hit a ball. Dramatic slices with no height to shots, inability to stay down with any club, and going well beyond "spraying" all over the course. That's when I go back to the range to try to find my game again. But Some actual instruction/advice will help with avoiding that. My swing with my irons and my swing with my woods/driver always used to be a little different (I know, that's my first problem. Should be the same swing with every club generally speaking). At the range this year I fixed that so its all similar, but I'm sure there are still plenty of kinks to work out that a pro could help with. I just need a set of eyes to watch me and tell me what I'm doing since I can't see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Masters starts tomorrow! So pumped. The one time per year I really get into golf on TV. My god, what I'd do to play that course.

I'm going to get a few more rounds in then go tackle bethpage black on a Sunday. That's the true test...
Just as excited. I love watching the Masters. The US Open is and will always be my favorite of the Majors, but being the first one of the year and having the prestige it does, I get ridiculously excited for the Masters every year. And I'll be honest and say that with the way Tiger has been playing this year (and to a lesser extent, Rory really heating up lately), it's that much more exciting this year.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell232 View Post
And this is why hockey players are "natural" golfers. They're used to hitting the ice behind the puck, same principle.
Since you brought up hockey in the TaN, I'm just gonna leave this here.

I like the subtle context of kids followed by girlfriend.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Since you brought up hockey in the TaN, I'm just gonna leave this here.

I like the subtle context of kids followed by girlfriend.
If I had kids, this might be be 100% accurate.

Or a girlfriend for that matter? But yeah, basically.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:23 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

I love the Masters too, and I've been to Augusta (who wants to touch me?), but the ironic thing that seems to rarely get discussed is that it's by far the lowest level of competition of any of the 4 majors.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

I love watching the Masters too, but I'm getting sick of the makeup they apply to the course and worse yet how much CBS and ESPN pump up the color on the broadcast to the point I feel like I'm at a St. Patrick's Day party.

*Prepared to cut my color adjustment down to 20 from 50 this weekend*

Old
04-10-2013, 04:32 PM
EliasFTW

Quote:
yeah I'm gonna have to toss bowling in with the wrestling.

*BZZZZ*

I can meet you half way with darts though.
I like wrestling and darts. Golf is just weird.

Thunder go boom!

Closed Thread