HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't boo the rookies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 07:05 AM
  #176
sabrescupchamps2099
Baseball season!
 
sabrescupchamps2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
I don't think rookies should be booed. They're trying to work hard and keep up playing at the NHL pace and the fans aren't helping. If anyone should get booed, it should be Myers. He's young but not a rookie. I've seen good things coming from Porter, Flynn etc, this season has been terrible for Myers and he has caused many goals against.

When Ott spoke about this, I mostly agreed with him except the part about "this doesn't happen anywhere else". Steve, you haven't played in Philly or NYC.

sabrescupchamps2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:36 AM
  #177
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Personally I don't boo when I go to games. Not because of some bizarre moral stance, just because don't want to. The thing that strikes me as odd in this thread is that the anti-booing crowd is ignoring that professional hockey is show-business/entertainment. The point of the whole industry is to entertain people and illicit reactions.

Don't like the product, fine react with booing or however you see fit. Similarly, cheer/whatever when you like it.

The way some of these posts come off its like they are putting pro-sports on some mythological pedestal as if it stands for some higher purpose. It's a make money, results oriented, show business.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:30 AM
  #178
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,787
vCash: 500
When I pay for a ticket I take into account the possibility that I'm going to be pretty frustrated with the game. It's a gamble that is part and parcel with the purchase. I also take into consideration that young kids are around. Obviously swearing and stuff is a poor choice within earshot of them, but booing and the associated comments can be equally uncomfortable for an 8-10 year old. Booing a rival team/player is part of the fun, booing your own team is not fun, and just because I'd like to 1) the players can't hear the specific comments I'd like to say 2) my comments won't change what happens and 3) other people/kids around me might not want to hear it.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:50 AM
  #179
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...6013--nhl.html

Quote:
“We've got a lot of young players on this team and they definitely don't deserve to be booed – they deserve to have that excitement and energy. It's definitely not their fault for the last six years of frustration that's gone on. We want to try to right the ship here. We want to continue to improve as an organization in the community and help out a lot of things. It would be awesome to have all those fans behind us 100 percent. Have that building rocking.”
His spot on, the team is getting booed for the last 6 or so years, something which is completely out of their control. Another quote:

Quote:
"I don't care how frustrated anybody is. Negativity breeds negativity, and if you want to see a bad product on the ice, and [you] continue to boo, what do you expect? You're obviously going to get a negative result.
Another spot on quote, if your team is 1-1 and they have a bad shift and you boo them then it's only going to demotivate them and breed bad plays.

Anyone who disagrees with him think about this: His a professional hockey player who's played in both conferences for years. He knows better than you.


Last edited by vcv: 04-10-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Don't make blanket statements
RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:54 AM
  #180
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Anyone who disagrees with him think about this: His a professional hockey player who's played in both conferences for years. He knows better than you.
I guarantee there are NHL players that have no problem with booing. So... is Steve Ott automatically more correct simply because he's on your side?

I have no problem with Steve Ott's stance or what he said. He's saying how he feels and he's not trying to insult the fans who do boo, unlike some people here who insist booers are jackasses or whatever it is.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:20 AM
  #181
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I guarantee there are NHL players that have no problem with booing. So... is Steve Ott automatically more correct simply because he's on your side?

I have no problem with Steve Ott's stance or what he said. He's saying how he feels and he's not trying to insult the fans who do boo, unlike some people here who insist booers are jackasses or whatever it is.
Booers in context are fine. If we get blown out by Winnipeg or Florida then at the end of the period/game boo the players off the ice, if they are looking lazy and listless that's fine. The point is when we are drawing or winning booing is moronic.

I'm sure there are players who don't care but it's the people who will say 'he doesn't know' or 'his wrong' I'm pre-emptively combating that, if that is not your point it isn't directed at you.

I think this boils down to the fact that many Sabres fans no longer support the team, they support the name. I'm not entirely sure (other than Regiers firing) what it will take for people to back this team and get excited, but without that this team is going no-where.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:25 AM
  #182
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Get out of the kitchen if you can't handle the heat.

Buffalo isn't the only place to boo.

Buffalo didn't invent booing.

If Buffalo stopped booing, it would continue on in the rest of the world.

Philly booed Santa Claus.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
  #183
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Booers in context are fine. If we get blown out by Winnipeg or Florida then at the end of the period/game boo the players off the ice, if they are looking lazy and listless that's fine. The point is when we are drawing or winning booing is moronic.

I'm sure there are players who don't care but it's the people who will say 'he doesn't know' or 'his wrong' I'm pre-emptively combating that, if that is not your point it isn't directed at you.

I think this boils down to the fact that many Sabres fans no longer support the team, they support the name. I'm not entirely sure (other than Regiers firing) what it will take for people to back this team and get excited, but without that this team is going no-where.
No, it's not moronic. You simply don't agree with doing it.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:09 AM
  #184
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
No, it's not moronic. You simply don't agree with doing it.
Ok, so your team is winning a game, in the case of NJD a game they have no business even competing in, and booing them for one bad shift by a group of AHL players isn't moronic? Really don't see that.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:33 AM
  #185
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Ok, so your team is winning a game, in the case of NJD a game they have no business even competing in, and booing them for one bad shift by a group of AHL players isn't moronic? Really don't see that.
Wait, NJ had no business being in that game? If that's what you're saying, you are dead wrong.

It wasn't "one bad shift". It was a culmination of multiple bad shifts where they were hemmed in their own zone for extended periods. Finally, the 4th or 5th time it happened, they ended up stuck in their zone for a LONG LONG time and they got booed for a few seconds. As far as I recall (I was at the game), they weren't booed again, but they did get some cheers.

Don't change the narrative to fit your argument.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
  #186
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Wait, NJ had no business being in that game? If that's what you're saying, you are dead wrong.

It wasn't "one bad shift". It was a culmination of multiple bad shifts where they were hemmed in their own zone for extended periods. Finally, the 4th or 5th time it happened, they ended up stuck in their zone for a LONG LONG time and they got booed for a few seconds. As far as I recall (I was at the game), they weren't booed again, but they did get some cheers.

Don't change the narrative to fit your argument.
No I mean we should have been slaughtered, even this season NJD are still a force to be reckoned with.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
  #187
vcv
Moderator
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
No I mean we should have been slaughtered, even this season NJD are still a force to be reckoned with.
Ok, phew. I was really confused.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:59 AM
  #188
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
I guarantee there are NHL players that have no problem with booing. So... is Steve Ott automatically more correct simply because he's on your side?

I have no problem with Steve Ott's stance or what he said. He's saying how he feels and he's not trying to insult the fans who do boo, unlike some people here who insist booers are jackasses or whatever it is.
Yes...you are correct... jackasses.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
  #189
ckg927
Registered User
 
ckg927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,607
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Get out of the kitchen if you can't handle the heat.

Buffalo isn't the only place to boo.

Buffalo didn't invent booing.

If Buffalo stopped booing, it would continue on in the rest of the world.

Philly booed Santa Claus.
And a lot of other people and musical groups....they also cheered Michael Irvin when he was lying on the ground, motionless, after a nasty hit(and the next week, PhillyFan was sporting neckbraces).

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  #190
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?
 
1point21Gigawatts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The future
Country: United States
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 500
Eh, didn't see this anywhere else, but found this in the Buffalo News from Ted Black:

Quote:
Booing and an apparent disconnect between the fans and organization.

“Fans were booing a 2˝-minute shift where we couldn’t get the puck out of our zone. Those same fans all stood and cheered when we won that same game in a shootout,” Black said. “I think we’ve analyzed the boo phenomenon way too much. My guess is it was more visceral with the frustration of not being able to clear the puck for what seemed like an eternity. If it’s deeper than that, we’ll find out.

“Fans here deserve a winner more than any city I have ever driven through, read about in a book, than I can possibly imagine. Fans here are among the best and most passionate in any sport. They deserve a winner. We’re going to do everything in our power to give them a winner. The disconnect, if there is one, is because we’re not delivering that winner. I’d be more concerned if fans stopped caring.”
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs...130419803/1104

Personally, i think he is spot on. I like what he says. Always.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:53 PM
  #191
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,662
vCash: 500
RE: Blacks comments aren't true. We don't have the best fans and our arena hasn't been extremely crazy loud since 2007. More fans are on their phones texting and drinking $9 Labatts with their 40th anniversary money grab I mean third jersey on looking to be trendy. And why is it if Pegula has no care about $$ did the tickets increase so much? Don't give me to qualify for revenue sharing thing because Pegula said money is no object. Paying more to watch something much worse, no thanks I can watch the team lose on tv for free. Done with my mini packs and paying hundreds to go to our home playoff games where we choke anyway. Game 6 against Philly was the worst game ever attended, you have the game and series practically wrapped up and then they crumbled when Connolly got crushed from behind

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:43 AM
  #192
Inklings
and you feel shame
 
Inklings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Inklings Send a message via Yahoo to Inklings
"... they're professional athletes, they're used to this kind of thing, it rolls right off their back!"


Inklings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
  #193
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,740
vCash: 500
Awards:
Interestingly, there was no obvious booing last night in a game that they stunk for a sustained, full 60 minutes, not just a sustained 2 minutes.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:54 AM
  #194
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
RE: Blacks comments aren't true. We don't have the best fans and our arena hasn't been extremely crazy loud since 2007. More fans are on their phones texting and drinking $9 Labatts with their 40th anniversary money grab I mean third jersey on looking to be trendy. And why is it if Pegula has no care about $$ did the tickets increase so much? Don't give me to qualify for revenue sharing thing because Pegula said money is no object. Paying more to watch something much worse, no thanks I can watch the team lose on tv for free. Done with my mini packs and paying hundreds to go to our home playoff games where we choke anyway. Game 6 against Philly was the worst game ever attended, you have the game and series practically wrapped up and then they crumbled when Connolly got crushed from behind
Wow. So to wrap up:

1) the fans are crap
2) Ted Black is a liar
3) Pegula is a tight fisted money grabber
4) The team suck.

So when do we move to Seattle? With fans like this I really hope they do.

It's Regiers job to build a winner, he hasn't for over a decade. Hell his only built a competitive team once and that was largely luck.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:15 AM
  #195
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Wow. So to wrap up:

1) the fans are crap
2) Ted Black is a liar
3) Pegula is a tight fisted money grabber
4) The team suck.

So when do we move to Seattle? With fans like this I really hope they do.

It's Regiers job to build a winner, he hasn't for over a decade. Hell his only built a competitive team once and that was largely luck.
And yet he's getting treated like a god by our organization because of a few trades he made since they came here. This team is MUCH WORSE than when Pegula took over. So if they are only judging him based on the last 2 years; thats by far more than enough grounds for dismissal.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:18 AM
  #196
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful
 
RazielMoshman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kent, England
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
And yet he's getting treated like a god by our organization because of a few trades he made since they came here. This team is MUCH WORSE than when Pegula took over. So if they are only judging him based on the last 2 years; thats by far more than enough grounds for dismissal.
I do agree, completely. But I also see that there really isn't much we can do and blaming Pegula I don't think is properly allocating any sort of blame. Ted Black is in charge, along with a team of advisors who are capitalists, not hockey fans.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:02 PM
  #197
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles
 
brian_griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Z4QQQ batman symbol
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 6,663
vCash: 500
Excellent use of the word "visceral".

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.