HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Söderberg IV - Maybe not coming to America.

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 08:38 AM
ODAAT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins 54 View Post
With all the hype will be interesting to see how he turns out and adapts ...

I recall all the hype when the leafs signed the "monster" he was a can't miss "star" from this league to that many teams were after ... now he is struggling between being a backup and the AHL ...
Different situation when it comes to goalies but your right. Still recall how many teams were kissing the arse of one Fabian Brunnstrom, had a nice start to his career and now???

I`m hoping Sods is more Holmstrom, less Brunnstrom

I`m sure it`s been mentioned in the 2 years of threads/posts but what`s his contract status at seasons end here please and thx?

Old
04-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Niz Bruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post

Everybody repeat after me:

Du gamla, Du fria, Du fjällhöga nord
Du tysta, Du glädjerika sköna!
Jag hälsar Dig, vänaste land uppå jord,
/: Din sol, Din himmel, Dina ängder gröna.:/

Du tronar på minnen från fornstora dar,
då ärat Ditt namn flög över jorden.
Jag vet att Du är och Du blir vad Du var.
/:Ja, jag vill leva, jag vill dö i Norden.:/

skål!!
It's a beautiful language Lonnie!

Question, do we need to assemble Soderberg ourselves when he arrives?

Old
04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
mikelvl

Speaking of Yeti sightings, I saw a vaguely familiar figure out for a run with his dog while I was sitting in traffic last night. Why is that large man familiar to me? Is it the sideburns, wait a second, could it be....Hacks with Haggs himself? Indeed it was. My boy has some work to do but you have to start somewhere.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:48 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niz Bruin View Post
It's a beautiful language Lonnie!

Question, do we need to assemble Soderberg ourselves when he arrives?
It is Ben, but I'm struggling. Every time I try to sing it, I end up doing so in the voice of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. I don't want to offend Carl since he's shown a propensity as a flight risk in the past, so I'm trying to resolve that issue now. To correct it, I've immersed myself deep in the musical stylings of ABBA, Roxette, Ace of Base, and The Cardigans, and I've only been drinking Dugges Ale och Porterbryggeri. Hopefully it works!!

Old
04-10-2013, 08:50 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
It is Ben, but I'm struggling. Every time I try to sing it, I end up doing so in the voice of the Swedish Chef from the Muppets. I don't want to offend Carl since he's shown a propensity as a flight risk in the past, so I'm trying to resolve that issue now. To correct it, I've immersed myself deep in the musical stylings of ABBA, Roxette, Ace of Base, and The Cardigans, and I've only been drinking Dugges Ale och Porterbryggeri. Hopefully it works!!
No flight risk this time, just heard Chia confirm that Carl has agreed with the terms of his deal that state he is to wear an ankle bracelet to detect his every movements, Carl said he would, but only if he receives the minutes given to Horton

Old
04-10-2013, 08:50 AM
HumBucker
HFBoards Sponsor

From the highlight clips, I like the way Soderberg drives to the net. Something we don't see much from the B's, except maybe Seguin, who doesn't have the size or aggressiveness to pull it off very often.

Although from the clips, the D didn't play very physical. I think that's one thing CS will have to adapt to. Is it fair to say the SEL is less physical than the NHL? (bigger ice surface, I know.

That said, in some of the other clips (the one with the cross-checking incident), he looks comfortable throwing his body around (just not getting a face wash in return).

Old
04-10-2013, 08:57 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Here is my thinking on this:

First off, I am excited...very excited, and I am allowing myself to be excited, but I also realize that there will likely be an adjustment period for him, and I am worried that a ten game stretch at the end of the season might not be enough to make that adjustment.

However, I think at worst he pushes other players down the lineup, as I feel that with his size and reported skill set, that he will likely be more of a factor than Pandolfo, Dogman, and probably even Caron. At the very least, he puts those three guys, and perhaps Thornton on some occasions, in a place where they are all competing for that last roster spot. It will keep those guys hungry, and push the other players ahead of them on the roster as well. In other words, he at least provides depth and his presence creates some healthy competition at the bottom of the roster, which can ultimately have a chain reaction up at the top of the roster. Nothing wrong with that.

When people talk about how someone's game translates to the NHL level, I always want to ask, well, what is his game?

I think there are different styles of play that translate more quickly/easily to the NHL level, at least initially, and this says nothing of upside.

For example, I think the Ryan Spooner has more upside long term than Jared Knight, but I do feel that Knight will have more of an impact right away at the NHL level, only because he plays more of a straight ahead game, and his offense is easier to find.

Admittedly, I have never seen Carl play. I have only seen various highlight packages of him and have read analysis on his game from the likes of OOG and Kirk. But based on the little that I have seen, and on what they have reported, he is big, but not overly physical player, that uses his body well, has good hockey sense around the net, and has a nice release. It sound like the guy knows where he is going to find his offense, and can put the puck in the net when he gets there.

So, it doesn't seem to me like the guy's game is predicated on speed, so much as it is, having a good sense of where to find space in the offensive zone, using his size effectively in front to get position, and then using his good hands and quick release to finish. I think those are qualities that can transfer well to the NHL and transfer quickly, but we will have to see. There will obviously be less space for him to work with in the offensive zone, and the players he is battling with out front for space and pucks might be bigger and stronger as well.

If I had to go out on a limb, I would say that he is going to contribute to this team, especially if he is on a line with guys like Kelly/Pevs at center and Seguin/Horton on the wing. He might be on the third line, but with our recent added depth, our third line is looking pretty talented. I am optimistic, and overall I just hope this is an experiment that works out for Carl, the team, and the fans as well.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
Chiarelli coming up on 98.5

Notes:

Söderberg
We're working on it; nothing firm or concrete yet.
He would start @ NHL level.
Does NOT have to play 1 regular season game to be eligible for playoffs.
High-profile center in Sweden as a junior; Drafted by St. L in 2nd round; signed contract, never ended up playing, went back to Sweden.
Then he hurt his eye. B's acquired in trade; lifted suspension so he's able to play in Sweden, playing in Malmo before going to Linköping, where he's taken off. Big player, shoots the puck, 2-way player. Once he gets up and running he'll help us. If we end up signing him; that's not firm yet either.

If you come to terms with player how difficult to deal with EU leagues?
Generally, not difficult. This is unique since trade deadline is later. Opportunity for players to come over outside transfer. This situation never presents itself since trade deadline passes a lot earlier. Transfer rule in CBA allows players to come over this year only without waver. This player is in very special category allows him to play this year.

How do you gauge players in another league?
You look at how NHL players do over there during the lockout. That shouldn't be your only gauge. Don't want to put a lot of emphasis on this guy. Good player, going to take some time to get going.

Jagr
He's played 3 games, obviously very good player offensively, strong on the puck. Criticisms of defensive play, but you could criticize this whole group.

Iginla
"Who cares?" (--soosh)

Any lessons?
No, not really. Since spoken with Calgary, these things happen. unfortunate it got into the media. They happen when players have NTC.

You're blaming Aaron Ward since he broke the news.
I wasn't aware of that.

Bergy-
Reports he was in the building. Cam seemed relatively positive on F&M.
How's Felger on it?
I know you hate Felger, I'm only hearing Cam Neely.
He's been working out, he's on his road to recovery.
It looks good. He's working out things are looking good.

Redden
Not played yet, do you look at him as depth?
He's had a weird couple years. Very smart. Couple D ahead of him. It's good to have extra D. I remember a few years ago in Ottawa, we lost to Buff and lost 4 D in 2 days vs. Buff. You try to be fair managing time, you want to rest guys when you can. I told Wade we'd get him in at some point and see where it goes after that.

How discouraged were you at Seguins' play at center?
Little unfair to dismiss based on that. We've had uneven play in last 10 games. Tyler at center in a couple games is the least of our worries. We'll figure it out. He's been playing wing, so unfair to assess based on that.

Tuukka
Tuukka's been good; hes' been helping us out bigtime.
Thanks so much for this, sooshii, excellent work and much appreciated.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
How's Felger on it?
I know you hate Felger, I'm only hearing Cam Neely.
What's the deal between Chia and Felger? Is there some sort of history?

Old
04-10-2013, 09:31 AM
McClelland

vCash: 50
He was no 2 in points in the sel! Before him was this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11620

Just after him this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=229

Not any small guys either, so the expectations on him should be pretty low.
Hopefully does his style of playing adapt better to the Nhl game then the 2 above.

Then its a matter of given a chance to succed(Brunner with Zetterberg is a good example) given 8 min a night in the 4th line with 2 plugs isnt a ideal situation to succed.

Soder=south Berg=Mountain

Old
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

I will believe in Soderberg's existence when I see him skating during warm ups in a Bruins jersey.

Until that happens- no.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:33 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
What's the deal between Chia and Felger? Is there some sort of history?
Other than Felger constantly trashing Chiarelli and Julien?

One of my favorite moments after the Bruins won the Stanley Cup was Shawn Thornton saying "Suck it, Felger."

Old
04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
well PJ Axelsson was a no2 or 3 scorer in SEL before he came and he had a long useful career playing 3rd/4th line just fine.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Other than Felger constantly trashing Chiarelli and Julien?

One of my favorite moments after the Bruins won the Stanley Cup was Shawn Thornton saying "Suck it, Felger."
Yeah, since he is some local radio guy (I guess) I'm not quite familiar with what he says etc.
Thanks.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Ogrim

http://www.dn.se/sport/ishockey/skyt...vill-skippa-vm

Some new comments from SIHF.

Quote:
The NHL club want Soderberg to come over directly, but that requires dispense from the federation because the Linkoping forward had no contract with Boston during the season and transitions are only allowed between seasons.

National team manager Tommy Boustedt says:

- Our Vice Chairman Peter Forsberg has been in contact with Bill Daly (NHL's vice-president) and he also believes that it is crystal clear, the rules are on our side.

You interpret this as Soderberg do not want to play the World Cup?

- You must infer that he wants to go over to the NHL and play, then I do not know about the club and agents put pressure on him, says Boustedt.

- The issue is bigger than Carl Soderberg. Rules and regulations are to be followed, and now I let very square, but there are after effects that come from a place like this decision. We are also faced with a home World Cup and have a responsibility to our supporters, says Boustedt.

TT/Göran Sundberg
Are they (Daly and Forsberg) trolling the Bruins?

Old
04-10-2013, 09:45 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunbaer View Post
Yeah, since he is some local radio guy (I guess) I'm not quite familiar with what he says etc.
Thanks.
Felger's schtick, if you will (his routine) is mostly to dump on Boston teams. He blamed Chiarelli for not getting Iginla, for example, thinks Bylsma, Laviolette and Boucher are much better coaches than Julien, and has more than once said Chara isn't that great a defenseman and should be stripped of the captaincy. Kate has pointed out that a lot of this is just to get people agitated and calling the station, but IMHO he really would rather the Bruins have a run and gun style, and he doesn't like the way they've structured the team.

To get back on topic, he'll be sure to find a way to trash Soderberg, if he hasn't already. If the Swedish federation causes problems, it'll be Chiarelli's fault somehow.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
He was no 2 in points in the sel! Before him was this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11620

Just after him this guy http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=229

Not any small guys either, so the expectations on him should be pretty low.
Hopefully does his style of playing adapt better to the Nhl game then the 2 above.

Then its a matter of given a chance to succed(Brunner with Zetterberg is a good example) given 8 min a night in the 4th line with 2 plugs isnt a ideal situation to succed.

Soder=south Berg=Mountain
I got to see Holloway play quite a bit in the AHL with Manchester and to be honest, I thought he looked pretty damn good. Not sure why LA gave up on him, but I think he can play in the NHL .

Old
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
patty59

I wonder if Boustedt is going to plug his ears and stomp his feet when Soderberg leaves for Boston.

What a ****ing whinebag

Old
04-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Felger's schtick, if you will (his routine) is mostly to dump on Boston teams. He blamed Chiarelli for not getting Iginla, for example, thinks Bylsma, Laviolette and Boucher are much better coaches than Julien, and has more than once said Chara isn't that great a defenseman and should be stripped of the captaincy. Kate has pointed out that a lot of this is just to get people agitated and calling the station, but IMHO he really would rather the Bruins have a run and gun style, and he doesn't like the way they've structured the team.
Oh gee.
Ok. thanks again for the explanation.
Was just curious why Chia doesn't like Felger and why this seems to be no secret.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:52 AM
PJ A Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well PJ Axelsson was a no2 or 3 scorer in SEL before he came and he had a long useful career playing 3rd/4th line just fine.
#2 in scoring for his team, yes. But never #2 for the whole league.

At the age PJ made 34p in SEL, Carl made 30p in 31 games, so I think there's a big difference in skill there.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Dr Seldon
I play like Carl

Quote:
While there is nothing wrong with your examples, except for Ace of Base, if you want some even better Swedish music, let me know. For instance, Sweden has produced alot of the great and influential metal.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:53 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
I wonder if Boustedt is going to plug his ears and stomp his feet when Soderberg leaves for Boston.

What a ****ing whinebag
Certainly appears that way. This could be one of those rare moments where Jacobs power helps us. He may have to put some pressure on the NHL to back the bruins in any dispute. Looks like Sweden may try to pull the old different interpretation tatic to try and block it.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
I wonder if GloryDaze has booked the next few days off of work and will be camping out at Logan Airport wearing his Carl Soderberg pj's and waiving the Bruins/USA flag in one hand and the Swedish flag in the other?

Old
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Seldon View Post
While there is nothing wrong with your examples, except for Ace of Base, if you want some even better Swedish music, let me know. For instance, Sweden has produced alot of the great and influential metal.
What, like Europe?

I specifically picked the pop bands just as a joke...

Closed Thread