HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2013, 11:06 AM
sharks9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Anyone else hoping for a first round meeting with the Rangers now?
It would be nice to go through a round without letting in a goal

Old
03-31-2013, 11:14 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Osgoode > Price is essentially what I am reading here.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:49 AM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Price will get you as far as any goalie can get you. Unless your goalie is ridiculously hot like the Halak. But that happens once in every 10 years. And who says Price can't do it ?
Two rounds of good goaltending only comes around once every ten years? Lovely

Old
03-31-2013, 12:58 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Two rounds of good goaltending only comes around once every ten years? Lovely
Difference between good and 'hasek like'.

Old
03-31-2013, 01:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Or "Steve Penny like"

Old
03-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Plante

Quote:
Loved Halaks run, but it wasn't hasek like, lets be reality.

Old
03-31-2013, 02:55 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
I'm telling you price can't do it. Price really needs a team that plays perfectly in front of him with zero mistakes. He needs a team like team Canada to win championships. But who hasen't won with team Canada? Don't tell me Luango.

It's just that in the NHL not all the teams have the luxuary to draft Crosby and Malkin year after year so not all teams are built perfect, its really the goaltending that makes the difference and Price for his size, skills and "potential" more often than not has not made the difference so far.

Like other posters have mentioned it its hard to argue with a fan base that gets defensive every time we talk about their favourite player...guys its been 6 years now... 6 years ...its Carey Price...not Jesus Christ.

Time to wake up... Give him one last chance this playoffs and if he sucks move on with another goalie.
Worst post of the year

Old
03-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
1 and a half series of amazing goaltending is not Hasek-like. ovrelrds pls.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:03 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
Loved Halaks run, but it wasn't hasek like, lets be reality.
This.

Jaro was obviously terrific, but those performances happen almost every year. It was two rounds, not 4, and while there were some gargantuan saves, Mike Smith, Jonathan Quick, even Niemi at times (yeah, him!) have done the same. It's magnified cuz it was our team. Not taking anything away, but people act like we won more than half the rounds. We did not. He had two extremely good 7 game series then deflated. He also had a lot of luck and that's what you need most of the time. If Price get in that zone and the team actually scores timely goals (can we not dismiss the work of Cammy, fed by Pleks?) Timely goals. Timely goaltending. Good special teams. We seem to be in that situation except for our PP and PK, which I hope will improve as we go forward. (It was nice to see Nathan on the blueline. If he had 10-15 games under his belt, I'm sure he'd be comfortable and effective.)

Old
03-31-2013, 03:07 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
1 and a half series of amazing goaltending is not Hasek-like. ovrelrds pls.
The play in itself in that run was hasek like, yes. At least the first two rounds.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:17 PM
Saundies

Until Carey wins a cup or can magically merge his DNA with Patrick Roy's and somehow become French, he's not gonna be immune to criticism among fans, unwarranted (which I think most of it is) or not. The bottom line is he's a very good goalie. Has he gone on a dominant playoff run? No, but he's only 25 years old.. a little early to write him off on that, wouldn't you think?

Anyone who constantly whines about Price after every goal has never played real hockey in their life, and if they did, must have been hated by all of their teammates because hockey is a team game. Every time a goal is scored, chances are it's because someone has missed their assignment and Price is the last line of defense. I see on twitter all of the time, when he's beaten on great shots (ex. Crosby's snipe) people lipping about how he should have stopped it or "covered his angles" better... Sometimes a shooter wins the battle. Sometimes the best player in the world is bearing down on you... It happens.

Old
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Dont Poke Subban
Fall is coming

Dave Stubbs ‏@Dave_Stubbs 34m

#Habs Price's NHL debut, 3-2 road win over #Penguins, was Oct. 10, 2007 22 years to the day that Patrick Roy made NHL debut vs Pens in PIT

He actually meant "start" not debut. Still kinda cool.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Are people feeling good about this guy now? He's been playing great hockey for a while now.

No other player seems to elicit a greater split across the fanbase than Price but I feel really good about this guy going into the postseason.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:01 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
Quote:
Are people feeling good about this guy now? He's been playing great hockey for a while now.

No other player seems to elicit a greater split across the fanbase than Price but I feel really good about this guy going into the postseason.
I have felt more than fine about his play this year. He's been solid, but not outstanding, which IMO means there's nothing to complain about. But now over these last few games he's been really heating up. It could be the perfect timing for a streak. Price has been so dedicated and so professional that once he gets on his game, he might just run with it and not slow down. I feel great having Price going into the playoffs.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Mrb1p

I've always felt good... He would be in the Vezina talk if it was not for the NYI game, the Pittsburgh one and the TO one.

Old
04-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Price has been pretty good all year. This is just Montreal being Montreal. Some fans just expect perfection from their goalie. Price gives us a chance to win in pretty much every game, that's really all you can ask for from a goalie.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I've always felt good... He would be in the Vezina talk if it was not for the NYI game, the Pittsburgh one and the TO one.
You don't even need to take out the NYI game...

The TO and Pitts games killed him.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:

Greatest post of the year.

Old
04-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

How far? Stanley Cup far.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:

The remainder of the season will make the difference for him. There is 10 games left and only one back-to-back, so there is potential he plays 9 out of the 10 games. If they keep winning and no big loss along the way he may still have a chance at getting some votes. Mike Johnson has picked him as his winner.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

* the video, not the write-up

Old
04-10-2013, 09:02 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
Getting really tired with all the crap about Price. There is a reason that he is being talked about as Canada's goalie in Sochi. It's because he's that good. If you breakdown the goals he lets in, you'll find he doesn't get beaten cleanly very often. Tips, screens, scrambles, tap ins, own goals and misfires that he overplays are the vast majority of goals.

I know as Habs fans, we seem to have some kind of misconception that we know great goaltending. Clearly we don't. Price gives you the same chance of winning each night.

Go back and look at Halak's "spectacular" run. He was yanked three times after getting bombed. Swept against Philly. Didn't start game 3. (Price played very well that game but he didn't get much help) Halak was hailed as a hero because he made some "awesome" saves and withstood many barrages with the help of his D. Price doesn't make "awesome" saves very often. He doesn't have to because of his style.

I'm convinced that as Price gets older we will see he has yet another level. We are ridiculously spoiled as Habs fans that we can sit around a criticize a guy that every GM would trade their starter for in a minute.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:06 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Getting really tired with all the crap about Price. There is a reason that he is being talked about as Canada's goalie in Sochi. It's because he's that good. If you breakdown the goals he lets in, you'll find he doesn't get beaten cleanly very often. Tips, screens, scrambles, tap ins, own goals and misfires that he overplays are the vast majority of goals.

I know as Habs fans, we seem to have some kind of misconception that we know great goaltending. Clearly we don't. Price gives you the same chance of winning each night.

Go back and look at Halak's "spectacular" run. He was yanked three times after getting bombed. Swept against Philly. Didn't start game 3. (Price played very well that game but he didn't get much help) Halak was hailed as a hero because he made some "awesome" saves and withstood many barrages with the help of his D. Price doesn't make "awesome" saves very often. He doesn't have to because of his style.

I'm convinced that as Price gets older we will see he has yet another level. We are ridiculously spoiled as Habs fans that we can sit around a criticize a guy that every GM would trade their starter for in a minute.
Honestly, I am so tired of the stupid misconceptions about goaltending in this place that next season I am considering starting a blog that details goals against in every Habs game (Opposition will be taken into account as well to gain some perspective).

I can't stand the vocal minority who have no idea about the position and proclaim every goal that isn't a one-timer as a bad goal.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:37 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Honestly, I am so tired of the stupid misconceptions about goaltending in this place that next season I am considering starting a blog that details goals against in every Habs game (Opposition will be taken into account as well to gain some perspective).

I can't stand the vocal minority who have no idea about the position and proclaim every goal that isn't a one-timer as a bad goal.
It's people who've never played team sports who are the most vocal and irritating, I find. That's why I rarely make serious, definitive universal statements - 100% of the time, you look stupid.

The first goal Ovy scored on Price was flukey as hell, the 2nd one was a high shot that bounced out and was deflected in. Both times Carey was facing the shooter and in position. I don't know if people have ever played goalie before but it's impossible for goalies to win games single-handedly, the skaters have to contribute.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:39 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
It's people who've never played team sports who are the most vocal and irritating, I find. That's why I rarely make serious, definitive universal statements - 100% of the time, you look stupid.

The first goal Ovy scored on Price was flukey as hell, the 2nd one was a high shot that bounced out and was deflected in. Both times Carey was facing the shooter and in position. I don't know if people have ever played goalie before but it's impossible for goalies to win games single-handedly, the skaters have to contribute.
Don't I know it.. 2-1 triple OT loss in my semi-final series against the defending champions. We did not eclipse 20 shots for and I faced upwards of 60 shots. I'm sure if Habs fans were watching, I would've been blamed for getting pushed out of the net for the OT winner.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:44 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Don't I know it.. 2-1 triple OT loss in my semi-final series against the defending champions. We did not eclipse 20 shots for and I faced upwards of 60 shots. I'm sure if Habs fans were watching, I would've been blamed for getting pushed out of the net for the OT winner.
I was there, you sucked!

Closed Thread