HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#39| Apr. 9, 2013| Flyers at Islanders| 7:00 p.m. ET

Old
04-10-2013, 09:42 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

vCash: 500
I know this sounds crazy and in no way is warranted, but I'd rather amnesty Bryz and let Mason and his 1.5mil 1yr contract start next year while using Bryz's cap to add offensive depth. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and it's only 1 year.

You have to figure the amnesty will be used on Bryz either this offseason or the next. No way the let that entire contract play out, and his trade value is crap.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegale View Post
I know this sounds crazy and in no way is warranted, but I'd rather amnesty Bryz and let Mason and his 1.5mil 1yr contract start next year while using Bryz's cap to add offensive depth. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and it's only 1 year.

You have to figure the amnesty will be used on Bryz either this offseason or the next. No way the let that entire contract play out, and his trade value is crap.
If you amnesty bryz, you use that money to get a D man

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:46 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
What offense can we even add from the UFA market? Roy and Horton will probably get raises. All the best UFA guys are basically of the market. Re-sign Gagne for cheaper, and possibly bring up Laughton if he isn't going back to the OHL (since he can't go to the AHL next year).

Even so, the money to spend on a D-man as well isn't there. I believe the Isles would re-sign Streit. The UFA market this off-season is pretty bad.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:48 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
this. we don't need any top free agent scorers. we need d. why waste that money on not filling a need this team desperately could use

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:50 AM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
I think our defense could be fine with a different coach and a different system. We have a solid top 4 plagued with injuries. If we could find a way to get rid of Mez, it would allow for both.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Krishna

Quote:
I think our defense could be fine with a different coach and a different system. We have a solid top 4 plagued with injuries. If we could find a way to get rid of Mez, it would allow for both.
The only potential forward UFAs I'd look at would be

Ryder
Filppula (Think he's re-signed though)
Maybe Horton
Maybe Raymond
Maybe Antropov

The rest are old or not that great

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
freakydallas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think it's more like claiming a McDonald's milkshake and a Big Mac both make you fat.
are you saying goal tending, as bad as its been, is the only thing wrong with this team?

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Curufinwe

Bryz is the milkshake, team defense is the Big Mac.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:52 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
In a shortened season jagr would be great to have but who could have predicted that? Are we all forgetting how dead he looked in the playoffs?
I keep seeing that and I have to say one thing: it might have been a shortened season but Jagr played 20+ minutes a game since late September in the Czech league, it's not like he simply played 30 games this year and that's it. After the pace he set in the Czech league I expected him to explode in the first few games (which he did, 2+2 in the first) but wear down quickly. Guess what, the only thing he suffers from right now is having Campbell instead of Krejci as a center.

But as you can see, I have to agree with this part of your post: "who could have predicted that?" - I wouldn't

Last edited by kudymen: 04-10-2013 at 10:57 AM.
kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:32 AM
freakydallas13

Quote:
That was the whole point of my original post.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:11 PM
PhilaFlyers

Kind of stupid that people are jumping on the Mason bandwagon so quickly. I agree he looked good but its 1 game.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:55 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Kind of stupid that people are jumping on the Mason bandwagon so quickly. I agree he looked good but its 1 game.
I don't think anyone is. The support of Mason comes from a lot of different angles. At most we have Bryz for another season. Like I've stated previously, there's no way we don't amnesty him this off season or next. He hasn't given us a single reason to keep him and his contract beyond our final "get out of jail free card" next year. If Mason can even post similar numbers it comes down to economics. I think more than anything, people are just excited for change (whether it's Mason or someone else). We're just hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel after a disappointing couple of seasons.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
and its back to Bryzgalov tomorrow night even tho Mason played well.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Larry44

Quote:
The only potential forward UFAs I'd look at would be

Ryder
Filppula (Think he's re-signed though)
Maybe Horton
Maybe Raymond
Maybe Antropov

The rest are old or not that great
Had a look at the UFA list last night.

Horton or Raymond would be good additions to 2LW with Schenn-Simmonds - esp. if we have to throw Read in a trade for a 1D.

The other two guys who intrigue are Stallberg and Bickell from Chicago. Perhaps they won't be able to keep them after Cup run.

On D, there are a couple guys. Streit didn't sign with NYI before the deadline, so he might be on the market. Hainsey is another option.

In my view, that's Homer's big offseason issue - a new 1D.

We have a lot of guys under contract already.

?-Schenn
Timonen-Coburn - Braydon played his best with Kimmo in the 2nd pairing
Grossmann-Meszaros
Gustafsson/Gervais as 7/8
Lauridsen-Manning

? - Could it be someone like the much discussed Yandle? A UFA like Streit or Visnovsky or Hainsey? Or Dan Boyle?

We just need to replace/upgrade Matt Carle's puckmoving with a smallish, fast player who can help run the PP2 and take pressure off Kimmo.

I don't think Gus is it. Ghost might be in a few years, paired with whoever we take with our 1st round pick: Nurse or Zadorov.

I think the Flyers will have seen a lot of Nurse watching Cousins and Alderson, and alot of Zadorov scouting Stolarz.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:18 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Had a look at the UFA list last night.

Horton or Raymond would be good additions to 2LW with Schenn-Simmonds - esp. if we have to throw Read in a trade for a 1D.

The other two guys who intrigue are Stallberg and Bickell from Chicago. Perhaps they won't be able to keep them after Cup run.

On D, there are a couple guys. Streit didn't sign with NYI before the deadline, so he might be on the market. Hainsey is another option.

In my view, that's Homer's big offseason issue - a new 1D.

We have a lot of guys under contract already.

?-Schenn
Timonen-Coburn - Braydon played his best with Kimmo in the 2nd pairing
Grossmann-Meszaros
Gustafsson/Gervais as 7/8
Lauridsen-Manning

? - Could it be someone like the much discussed Yandle? A UFA like Streit or Visnovsky or Hainsey? Or Dan Boyle?

We just need to replace/upgrade Matt Carle's puckmoving with a smallish, fast player who can help run the PP2 and take pressure off Kimmo.

I don't think Gus is it. Ghost might be in a few years, paired with whoever we take with our 1st round pick: Nurse or Zadorov.

I think the Flyers will have seen a lot of Nurse watching Cousins and Alderson, and alot of Zadorov scouting Stolarz.
Streit I have been wanting for awhile on the Flyers and was surprised when he didn't extend his contract before the trade deadline. Him along with Schenn/Kimmo/Coburn/Grossmann and possibly another free agent would look nice. I fully expect this team to play better as a unit once they bring in a coach that actually wants his team to play defense instead of just attack attack attack.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Quote:
Bryz is the milkshake, and team defense brings all the boys to the yard.