HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Derick Brassard

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 09:54 AM
  #276
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Besides the first Pens game, Brassard has done nothing for us. He needs to start producing to be a "borderline second line center" since he doesn't do much else.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  #277
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Besides the first Pens game, Brassard has done nothing for us. He needs to start producing to be a "borderline second line center" since he doesn't do much else.
What? He has been creating chances and has been great on the PP. Plus he has been winning the majority of his face-offs. A little tough on the guy, no?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:57 AM
  #278
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What? He has been creating chances and has been great on the PP. Plus he has been winning the majority of his face-offs. A little tough on the guy, no?
Well Ste.. Brassard deserves it

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 09:58 AM
  #279
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What? He has been creating chances and has been great on the PP. Plus he has been winning the majority of his face-offs. A little tough on the guy, no?
C'mon, Boyler, you know that if you don't put points on the board you're not producing no matter what the game film says. Got stone-hands Boyle as your RWer flubbing chance after chance? Too bad - you need to compensate. Bounce it off him into the net.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
  #280
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
What? He has been creating chances and has been great on the PP. Plus he has been winning the majority of his face-offs. A little tough on the guy, no?
He's been good on faceoffs, but historically that doesn't hold.

I don't think he's looked great on the PP or created very many chances since the Pitts game. He made one really good play in the 2nd Pens game, and then after that nothing jumps out to me. He was a non-factor in Carolina and didn't really do much against the Leafs. Gabby has 5 points with CBJ, except they're spread out over 3 different games. I don't like how people are automatically attributing us scoring more to the trade when, IMO, it's clearly been because of a renewed Richards, Stepan, Nash, and to a lesser extent Zucc and Clowe.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
  #281
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
C'mon, Boyler, you know that if you don't put points on the board you're not producing no matter what the game film says. Got stone-hands Boyle as your RWer flubbing chance after chance? Too bad - you need to compensate. Bounce it off him into the net.
Get me video of Boyle flubbing "chance after chance" that isn't that one really nice pass in the second Pens game.

Or is it just easier to blame Boyle for Brassard not looking as good after his first game here?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  #282
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
He's been good on faceoffs, but historically that doesn't hold.

I don't think he's looked great on the PP or created very many chances since the Pitts game. He made one really good play in the 2nd Pens game, and then after that nothing jumps out to me. He was a non-factor in Carolina and didn't really do much against the Leafs. Gabby has 5 points with CBJ, except they're spread out over 3 different games. I don't like how people are automatically attributing us scoring more to the trade when, IMO, it's clearly been because of a renewed Richards, Stepan, Nash, and to a lesser extent Zucc and Clowe.
Are we looking at his historical production or his time here? Pick one.

You love Gaborik. We get it. He has been more than good as this teams 3rd line center and this new 3rd line has been creating chances. They probably create more chances in 1 game than the Rangers 3rd line had produced the rest of the season combined.

So you are giving credit to everyone except Brassard for the team playing better on offense? Seems odd doesn't it? Agenda-driven because you didn't want Gaborik to be traded?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:06 AM
  #283
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
His line mates haven't exactly been helping his cause.

Hags lately looks like he's trying to do much with the puck when he has it, and Boyle is...Boyle...

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:33 AM
  #284
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Are we looking at his historical production or his time here? Pick one.

You love Gaborik. We get it. He has been more than good as this teams 3rd line center and this new 3rd line has been creating chances. They probably create more chances in 1 game than the Rangers 3rd line had produced the rest of the season combined.

So you are giving credit to everyone except Brassard for the team playing better on offense? Seems odd doesn't it? Agenda-driven because you didn't want Gaborik to be traded?
Why can't we look at both? All I'm saying is that history shows he won't continue to be as good on faceoffs as he has been. There's no agenda here, Brass was awesome his first game and John Moore is better than I thought and oozes potential. All I'm saying is I think due to his first game Brass is getting a pass for not doing much of anything over the last 3 games here, while Gaborik looks renewed with the CBJ.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
  #285
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Why can't we look at both? All I'm saying is that history shows he won't continue to be as good on faceoffs as he has been. There's no agenda here, Brass was awesome his first game and John Moore is better than I thought and oozes potential. All I'm saying is I think due to his first game Brass is getting a pass for not doing much of anything over the last 3 games here, while Gaborik looks renewed with the CBJ.
I think you are stat watching. Brassard has been good. He will not be as good as Gaborik. Hence why the Rangers were able to get Dorsett and Moore along with Brassard for pretty much just Gaborik. It seems like you are asking Brassard to be something he is not, a 1st line consistent player.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
  #286
Parker
Registered User
 
Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Binghamton, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Brassard's been good. Don't see the need to start scapegoating him.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  #287
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
I still feel we are the loser of this trade, Gabby has really helped the Jackets.

But I'm sure Brassard is doing his best, Moore looks promising, and we have yet to see Dorsett.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:05 AM
  #288
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,693
vCash: 500
Brassard has been OK after that first game. If he can add a little offensive creativity to the 3rd line and be responsible defensively, thats all I hope for right now.

Hes soft though and, as such, will be hated by many Ranger fans simply because of that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:21 AM
  #289
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brassard has been OK after that first game. If he can add a little offensive creativity to the 3rd line and be responsible defensively, thats all I hope for right now.

Hes soft though and, as such, will be hated by many Ranger fans simply because of that.
I don't know that he's soft - simply that his size prohibits his physicality from being overly effective. He's certainly shown a willingness to mix it up on the boards and to go to the net. He just won't win a whole lot of one-on-ones based on physical strength.

Regardless, I think that the majority of the hate he's receiving is actually due to the fact that folks are comparing him directly to Gabby as his replacement. And I find that funny, because, while he does not possess Gabby's skills, he certainly seems to be doing more in the context of THIS team. (And, oh yeah, he was only one of three pieces - plus a pick - that came in return.)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:29 AM
  #290
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I don't know that he's soft - simply that his size prohibits his physicality from being overly effective. He's certainly shown a willingness to mix it up on the boards and to go to the net. He just won't win a whole lot of one-on-ones based on physical strength.

Regardless, I think that the majority of the hate he's receiving is actually due to the fact that folks are comparing him directly to Gabby as his replacement. And I find that funny, because, while he does not possess Gabby's skills, he certainly seems to be doing more in the context of THIS team. (And, oh yeah, he was only one of three pieces - plus a pick - that came in return.)
Agreed about the Gaborik comparisons. Theyre silly.

As for being soft, you basically said hes soft too, albeit in a much nicer way.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:48 AM
  #291
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
What could be a matter of concern, more than his efforts on the ice, is the fact that Brassard is a very emotional guy. I know Hitch had issues with him back in Columbus. If he's criticized or yelled at he may react in a bad way. I'm worried that he wont get along with Torts.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
  #292
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
What could be a matter of concern, more than his efforts on the ice, is the fact that Brassard is a very emotional guy. I know Hitch had issues with him back in Columbus. If he's criticized or yelled at he may react in a bad way. I'm worried that he wont get along with Torts.
He was younger when that happened and he's around the age where most boys are becoming men, hockey or no hockey. If he still has 'problems' taking orders from the coach that'll be a bad sign for sure.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
  #293
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 10,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed about the Gaborik comparisons. Theyre silly.

As for being soft, you basically said hes soft too, albeit in a much nicer way.
Hahahaha. True, but there IS still a difference between being unwilling and being willing, but not terribly effective.

I'd much rather the latter, because at least if you're willing, there's the ability to improve through weight training and experience, even if you'll never approach Milan Lucic status. I mean, Cally's a pretty darn good physical player for his size - hopefully Brassard can take a pointer or two from him.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:20 PM
  #294
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hahahaha. True, but there IS still a difference between being unwilling and being willing, but not terribly effective.

I'd much rather the latter, because at least if you're willing, there's the ability to improve through weight training and experience, even if you'll never approach Milan Lucic status. I mean, Cally's a pretty darn good physical player for his size - hopefully Brassard can take a pointer or two from him.
Don't make Brassard believe he's a fighter. He tried that, and it didn't work at all. He's soft as a babies bottom, and always will be. Creds for trying though. Let him concentrate on his hockey skills instead.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:22 PM
  #295
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
Don't make Brassard believe he's a fighter. He tried that, and it didn't work at all. He's soft as a babies bottom, and always will be. Creds for trying though. Let him concentrate on his hockey skills instead.
Brassard is not soft at all. He goes into the dirty areas of the ice to battle for pucks. He just isn't overly large so he isn't all that successful along the boards. I am not sure where you get "soft" from.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:34 PM
  #296
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Hahahaha. True, but there IS still a difference between being unwilling and being willing, but not terribly effective.

I'd much rather the latter, because at least if you're willing, there's the ability to improve through weight training and experience, even if you'll never approach Milan Lucic status. I mean, Cally's a pretty darn good physical player for his size - hopefully Brassard can take a pointer or two from him.
Cally has that low center of gravity thing going for him, power comes from his legs and drives through guys. You also have to have those kind of instincts to play like Cally, IMO.

I see Darren Turcotte. Now, DT was never as talented as Brassard, let me say that so no one says I'm making an exact comparison.

DT was a very good forward for the Rangers in his day, he was a consistent 2nd line 60 point guy. Excelled on the PP. In fact he played the point with Leetch with the man advantage. He had a great shot, passing skill was almost as good. He was also the kind of player who did not hesitate to get into the dirty areas, although he was not built for that kind of game. Defensively, he was just passable. To his benefit, he was young, also around 22-25 yrs old when he played for us. Even though he enjoyed alot of success here Neil Smith found him expendable and he was the one to go in the Lamer deal, one of the best and least mentioned trades in Ranger history. After that Turcotte toiled around the league, never found a permanent spot, had a few injuries and was pretty much done at 30.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:48 PM
  #297
Wolfy
Registered User
 
Wolfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York
Posts: 3,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Brassard is not soft at all. He goes into the dirty areas of the ice to battle for pucks. He just isn't overly large so he isn't all that successful along the boards. I am not sure where you get "soft" from.
I posted a video somewhere in this thread, the announcers discuss Brassard's lack of toughness after he ended up in a fight. He spent quite some time on the CBJ injury list after trying to play physical. Watch it and you'll know what I mean.

But I wish him all the best as a Ranger, hopefully his hockey skills will help us.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
  #298
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I posted a video somewhere in this thread, the announcers discuss Brassard's lack of toughness after he ended up in a fight. He spent quite some time on the CBJ injury list after trying to play physical. Watch it and you'll know what I mean.

But I wish him all the best as a Ranger, hopefully his hockey skills will help us.
He isn't "soft" though. He shouldn't fight because of past shoulder injuries. He battles in the corners for pucks. Goes to the front of the net. Hits.

I mean, when I think of "soft" I think of Malik, or Poti, or someone like that. Brassard is not that.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
  #299
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
I posted a video somewhere in this thread, the announcers discuss Brassard's lack of toughness after he ended up in a fight. He spent quite some time on the CBJ injury list after trying to play physical. Watch it and you'll know what I mean.

But I wish him all the best as a Ranger, hopefully his hockey skills will help us.
That's why I mentioned Turcotte. Same deal with him.

Wasn't that he was soft, but when he did play in those areas he end up abusing his body, by 26 yrs old he looked a bit worn out.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
  #300
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,508
vCash: 500
Losing a hockey fight makes you a soft hockey player? Sounds to me like he's a soft hockey fighter

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.