HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Fire Shero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
Shero assembles a "Dreamteam" for this years playoff, and this is all you got?

Wingerz man-you are just relentless. "Obsession" seems your main game.
I was just asking about the future. Relax. Im not bashing Shero, but that is pretty crazy that he doesnt have 1 homegrown forward playing on the team.

I am not knocking him, I love our team now, just not Morrow, Kennedy and Glass. I just wanted to know if you guys thought we had some prospects who could be ready to play for the Pens in the bottom 6. That's all.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM
SCPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
I was just asking about the future. Relax. Im not bashing Shero, but that is pretty crazy that he doesnt have 1 homegrown forward playing on the team.

I am not knocking him, I love our team now, just not Morrow, Kennedy and Glass. I just wanted to know if you guys thought we had some prospects who could be ready to play for the Pens in the bottom 6. That's all.
You need to give Morrow time. When it's all said and done and we've seen what he's contributed through 4 playoff rounds, something tells me we'll have a Gary Roberts-like feeling about this player. The Pens JUST got him, give him time.

Old
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Honestly, if Marcantuoni can develop into a Darren Helm-like player for the Pens, that's a great pick. I think some got excited that he might end up being a scoring diamond in the rough, but it's looking more likely if he makes the NHL, it will be as a bottom six checker/PKer.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Dude you continue to talk out of both sides of your mouth....

Farnham could be ready for a bottom 6 agitator role sometime next season. And Megna could make a leap at any time-dude has some high end skill, but needs confidence and experience if he is to make it to the show.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Karnage420

Quote:

morrow is a guy who might pay off in the playoffs, none of us are impressed with him either. hes really just not a good player.

He might chip in in a HUGE way these playoffs, so yeah im pretty happy hes a penguin.

Kennedy has been bad this year, but generally he hasnt done much different. He creates offense by shooting the puck. He'll be clutch in the playoffs too.

Glass - not much i can say about this guy. 1.1million per year...thats the price you pay an enforcer who can ALSO play hockey. Glass just plain sucks.

Im assuming we wont see him in the playoffs much - if at all. so dont really worry about him too much, hes a non factor.

All in all, who really cares if there are no homegrown forwards on the team? its literally the most pointless and meaningless topic we can possibly discuss.

Old
04-09-2013, 01:03 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Honestly, if Marcantuoni can develop into a Darren Helm-like player for the Pens, that's a great pick. I think some got excited that he might end up being a scoring diamond in the rough, but it's looking more likely if he makes the NHL, it will be as a bottom six checker/PKer.
This. I will expand on Maatta and Marcantuoni more tomorrow, after watching them play very closely the last few games in the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs.

Why not Harrington, you ask? Nothing more needs to be said about this guy, other than (surprisingly) while he still doesn't have a great first few steps in his acceleration, his top end gear has improved. This is the more important part because his game in the defensive zone is more about economy of motion. But he seems to have improved his top-gear, which is important in terms of being able to recover on the back-check if caught up ice and coming back to break up an odd-man rush.

Also, Harrington has definitely stepped up his physical play and his grit. I don't mean to suggest he is a gritty, physical, hard nosed guy. But these two areas (physicality/grit + top-end skating gear) have improved in a noticeable way. A great player continuing to get a little bit better and better as things go forward. He's continuing his path of becoming a great, all-around and complete Dman.

There's more to say about Maatta, though, because his improvement(s) are quite a bit more dramatic. He's really impressed me. I'll expand on this and MM later, but MM is definitely being used in a bottom six role; and when viewed in that light (as opposed to a scorer and looking at his stats), you could see how he could become a very effective role player down the line. Marcantuoni + Vitale on the 4th line? Drool....speed, tenacity and work ethic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Considering how many early draft picks Shero traded away at the beginning of his tenure here and how few high draft picks he's spent on forwards, the results shouldn't surprise anyone.
Sadly this, as well. I really hope that not only do we win it all this year, that we definitely sign Iginla (and perhaps Murray, too?), and that we also find some ways to trade some existing players (Orpik + Kennedy) this summer or at the draft for picks, and other guys longer term (Niskanen or Martin) for forward help, otherwise this is going to continue to be a problem going forward.

This is also why, if I were the Pens, I would be putting SO MUCH work into Tom Kuhnhackl. His raw skills and instincts are excellent, but this guy needs a serious off-ice training regimen so it can translate into on-ice results in terms of being able to be stronger and faster to handle the bigger opponents and keep up with the Pens top centres. This guy has the shots, offensive and instincts to be a serious offensive weapon for us. Whether he gets there or not is a different story, but if he can achieve his vast potential, we may not ever have to care about the two 2nd rounders that we just gave up for Murray.

To think that had we just not thought it necessary to trade a 2nd rounder for Leopold (whom we had no intention of re-signing) and possibly used that pick for a guy like Jason Zucker, Johand Larsson or Calle Jarnkrok is kinda making me sick right now.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:44 AM
Penguinzilla

Hi, does anyone know if there are any Penguins prospects in the Frozen Four that are worth watching? Thanks

Old
04-09-2013, 07:55 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinzilla View Post
Hi, does anyone know if there are any Penguins prospects in the Frozen Four that are worth watching? Thanks
Scott Wilson (UMass Lowell) and former Pens prospects Kenny Agostino (Yale) and Ben Hanowski (St Cloud State) who got traded to Calgary in the Iginla Deal.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:57 AM
Sjb141

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
This. I will expand on Maatta and Marcantuoni more tomorrow, after watching them play very closely the last few games in the 2nd round of the OHL playoffs.

Why not Harrington, you ask? Nothing more needs to be said about this guy, other than (surprisingly) while he still doesn't have a great first few steps in his acceleration, his top end gear has improved. This is the more important part because his game in the defensive zone is more about economy of motion. But he seems to have improved his top-gear, which is important in terms of being able to recover on the back-check if caught up ice and coming back to break up an odd-man rush.

Also, Harrington has definitely stepped up his physical play and his grit. I don't mean to suggest he is a gritty, physical, hard nosed guy. But these two areas (physicality/grit + top-end skating gear) have improved in a noticeable way. A great player continuing to get a little bit better and better as things go forward. He's continuing his path of becoming a great, all-around and complete Dman.

There's more to say about Maatta, though, because his improvement(s) are quite a bit more dramatic. He's really impressed me. I'll expand on this and MM later, but MM is definitely being used in a bottom six role; and when viewed in that light (as opposed to a scorer and looking at his stats), you could see how he could become a very effective role player down the line. Marcantuoni + Vitale on the 4th line? Drool....speed, tenacity and work ethic.

Sadly this, as well. I really hope that not only do we win it all this year, that we definitely sign Iginla (and perhaps Murray, too?), and that we also find some ways to trade some existing players (Orpik + Kennedy) this summer or at the draft for picks, and other guys longer term (Niskanen or Martin) for forward help, otherwise this is going to continue to be a problem going forward.

This is also why, if I were the Pens, I would be putting SO MUCH work into Tom Kuhnhackl. His raw skills and instincts are excellent, but this guy needs a serious off-ice training regimen so it can translate into on-ice results in terms of being able to be stronger and faster to handle the bigger opponents and keep up with the Pens top centres. This guy has the shots, offensive and instincts to be a serious offensive weapon for us. Whether he gets there or not is a different story, but if he can achieve his vast potential, we may not ever have to care about the two 2nd rounders that we just gave up for Murray.

To think that had we just not thought it necessary to trade a 2nd rounder for Leopold (whom we had no intention of re-signing) and possibly used that pick for a guy like Jason Zucker, Johand Larsson or Calle Jarnkrok is kinda making me sick right now.

Ugh. One of the very few things I've ever criticized Shero for. Really liked all 3 of those guys at that draft.

On an unrelated note, you heard anything about burakovsky? Hearing a lot of really disparate opinions on him (from 'top 15 pick' to 'fall hard to 2nd or 3rd').

Old
04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Sivek

From Bombulie's latest blog post:

Quote:
Keven Veilleux will not join the black aces. Hynes said it was an organizational decision and offered no further comment.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:02 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Derrick Pouliot with zero points tonight, so he is obviously a bust.

But he was a +2, wasn't on for the lone goal against, and had no penalty minutes, which are all good things. And Portland is now up 3-0 in that series, so it appears, as expected, that they will be moving on to the 3rd round, and we'll get to see & hear more of Pouliot's performance.

Old
04-10-2013, 07:29 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Looking really bad for Zlobin and his Val D'or team down 3-0 to Blainville-Boisbriand

Old
04-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:

But he was a +2, wasn't on for the lone goal against, and had no penalty minutes, which are all good things. And Portland is now up 3-0 in that series, so it appears, as expected, that they will be moving on to the 3rd round, and we'll get to see & hear more of Pouliot's performance.
That's awesome I really hope Portland (WHL) and London(OHL) come out of their respective leagues and play in the Memorial Cup. An extra couple of players to watch for us(Harrington, Maatta, Pouliot)

Old
04-10-2013, 08:14 AM
KIRK

Quote:

Yeah, but Orpik was a +4 last night, so I'm not sure how much that +/- stat means about a person's play.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Beaudangles19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Looking really bad for Zlobin and his Val D'or team down 3-0 to Blainville-Boisbriand
cant the wbs pens sign him to a try out contract and cant he maybe finish the season with them?

Old
04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Peoria trades Brett Sonne for Carl Sneep

Dave Eminian @icetimecleve
Rivermen have traded checking line center Brett Sonne to Texas Stars for D-man Carl Sneep.

https://twitter.com/icetimecleve/sta...13518510481408

there goes that conditional 7th that nobody was banking on getting. good luck Carl!

Old
04-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Peoria trades Brett Sonne for Carl Sneep

Dave Eminian @icetimecleve
Rivermen have traded checking line center Brett Sonne to Texas Stars for D-man Carl Sneep.

https://twitter.com/icetimecleve/sta...13518510481408

there goes that conditional 7th that nobody was banking on getting. good luck Carl!
He was a pretty good player when he was on the hitmen.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudangles13 View Post
cant the wbs pens sign him to a try out contract and cant he maybe finish the season with them?
I believe he can

Old
04-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
From Bombulie's latest blog post:
I think the Pens part ways with him after this season. He's an RFA and there's no chance he comes back if he's not even part of the Black Aces squad, he sort of dug that hole himself with the racist thing early on this year.

Which kind of sucks, if he could stay healthy and bulk up to play his style of game, we could have at worst, had ourselves a poor man's version of Rupp for the 4th line, now he's likely to go somewhere else because of that incident this season and hopefully carve out a career elsewhere.

More room for other prospects though, can't hate on that.

Old
04-10-2013, 06:57 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I think the Pens part ways with him after this season. He's an RFA and there's no chance he comes back if he's not even part of the Black Aces squad, he sort of dug that hole himself with the racist thing early on this year.

Which kind of sucks, if he could stay healthy and bulk up to play his style of game, we could have at worst, had ourselves a poor man's version of Rupp for the 4th line, now he's likely to go somewhere else because of that incident this season and hopefully carve out a career elsewhere.

More room for other prospects though, can't hate on that.
unfortunately for him I put his chances of staying at healthy at less than 10%.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

No points again for Pouliot but a +2 in a 5-0 Portland win. On to round 3

London beat Kitchener and has a 3-1 series lead

Nothing for Maatta, Harrington and Marcantuoni

And Zlobin season is over in Val D'or

Last edited by Le Magnifique 66: 04-11-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old
04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
alexfr

Zlobin finishes with 10 points in 10 games 2g and 8 apples

Old
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
WHL looks like this then so far;

Edmonton v Calgary or Red Deer (Currently 3-1 Calgary)
Portland v Kamloops

OHL;

Belleville/Sudbury v Barrie (Currently 3-0 Belleville)
London/Kitchener v Plymouth/Owen Sound (Currently 3-1 London and 2-2)

QMHL:

Halifax v Quebec/Rouyn Noranda (Currently 3-1 Rouyn Noranda)
Baie-Comeau v Blainville-Broisbriand

Old
04-11-2013, 03:32 PM
Wes C Addle
Mookie Blaylock

Frozen four about to start on ESPN2 in the states. UMASS-Lowell with pens prospect Scott Wilson versus Kenny Agostino and Yale.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:16 PM
BeauKnows19

I would love for the pens to sign Laganiere. Would be a great addition to the prospect group. I love the way he plays, and he seems to be a lot different than the other pens forward prospects.

Closed Thread