HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WOW: Dubey with a .922 save ptg is tied for 7th

Old
04-10-2013, 10:03 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Jimmi, if you can't comprehend what I'm posting, don't bother responding.

Dubnyk is not a slam-dunk #1 goaltender. Both sides of the debate should be able to admit that. The failure lies in not securing a decent 1A/1B with upward trending development.
His numbers and play say otherwise. Maybe it's you who has the issue here.

If you don't like him, say "I Don't Like Him", then we can start the "debate" from a "reasonable" place, but nearly ALL of you on the "Dubnyk, sure he's keeping the team in games and is putting up top of the league number, but I don't know he should be better" crowd act as if you have some justification beyond the "I don't like that guy" to stand on, you really don't.

No "failure" doesn't lie in not have a 1A/1B goaltender and developing some other kid, when you've just develop Dubnyk into your number #1 goaltender. The Oilers have goaltenders they're developing, they need a veteran (hopefully not Habby) backup who can competently play 15-20 games in a season to support the #1 guy, who is Devan Dubnyk

Not really sure why this is a complicated problem to understand?

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Stay classy Jimmi.
Both are arguing the same silly point, it stands to reason.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:08 AM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Jimmi, if you can't comprehend what I'm posting, don't bother responding. Your condescension towards others is childish.

Dubnyk is not a slam-dunk #1 goaltender. Both sides of the debate should be able to admit that. The failure lies in not securing a decent 1A/1B with upward trending development.
There are very few teams that have two goalies like that.

Bishop is one that was available, can't think of any others that have been available.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:12 AM
actionjackson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
No you aren't. If you truly want to get a debate going why don't you through out some names they Oilers could add in net. Could be by trade or FA signing. Maybe there is not good deal out there. Throw out the closest thing to a good deal that you can come up with. That's what you would do if you wanted to get an honest debate going.

What you have done so far is shoot down any potential name that could be considered. Not a real debate. I would actually like you to prove me wrong and start an honest debate on this.

From Capgeek...these are what I think MIGHT be the best choices in free agency...my opinion is really only that...and could be based on a variety of uneducated, poor choices and random samples!!!

Possibilities:

Backstrom- not happening
Smith (Phoenix) -not happening
Howard (Detroit) - not happening
Emery (Chicago) - maybe...but maybe not a solid choice...a gamble for sure...one I would take though
Budaj (Montreal) -yuck
Khudobin (Boston) - Yes I would...likely...not happening
Montoya - (Rangers) - pretty underwhelming body of work
Leighton - (Columbus) - sure why not

Would want...but Nabokov already said no to Northern Canada I believe...

Thomas no thanks!!!

So Emery, Khudobin, or Leighton in free agency...providing they don't sign with their current club.

Pretty bleak list IMO...

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:12 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post

Bishop is one that was available, can't think of any others that have been available.
Holtby. Last year.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Developing and having a #1 goaltender is a failure of the organization?

Dubnyk doesn't need a guy to push him, the Oilers just need a guy who can play competently for 15 to 20 games in a season.

Seriously, some of you.
What's wrong with what he said?
Management absolutely failed by not bringing in a legit goalie to push Dubnyk. Khabby can be counted on in stretches but is hardly reliable considering his age and is oft injured so yes, Tambellini has failed in this regard. It does give me some comfort that Tambellini was apparently pushing hard for Bishop, it shows that he recognizes the weakness and is looking to address it.

Dubnyk is ok but i'm in the group that sees him as a goalie who is great when the pressure is off and folds like a cheap tent with any game pressure. Just look at all the soft goals that he has given up in the 3rd periods this season. The San Jose and Detroit debacles are still fresh in my mind and there are several others as well.
I can't count how many times that he has deflated team momentum by giving up deflating goals, it has happened enough times to the point of it being an alarming pattern.
He always starts playing well when the team is already down by a goal or two or is up by a large margin (like during the winning streak) and that inflates his numbers.
Of course, there is no way for me to prove this other than my eye test but from what i see, i have little to no confidence in him in tight games especially late.
The defense hasn't been a big help either but i think they would play differently if they were more confident in their goalie.

Don't get me wrong, Dubnyk has made some strides in his game but i'm not confident that he is "THE guy" going forward when this team is ready to contend. He just seems to have too much mental fragility.
It's too bad that Tambo wasn't able to land Bishop. From having followed him over the last couple of seasons, he is the real deal IMO.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1400
Quote:
Would get lit up if he was the Oilers goalie. Just like did playing behind a poor Lightning team.
He is a realistic option is he not?

Jimmy Howard?

Petr Mrazek?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 110
Quote:

That's lazy fan talk befitting of a team with lazy management. There are plenty of backups hitting the market every summer, there are undrafted euros rising in major euro leagues, there are gold star draft prospects available late in the first round, there are goalies being moved because of contracts or failures playing for the Flyers (at least one a year there) - there are plenty of opportunities to try out, especially for a team that can spend to the cap instead of filling Katz's pockets.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I can't count how many times that he has deflated team momentum by giving up deflating goals, it has happened enough times to the point of it being an alarming pattern.
You can't count how many times it happened? You should, it would help your case.

Quote:
The defense hasn't been a big help either but i think they would play differently if they were more confident in their goalie.
So they'd give up fewer shots and five bell scoring chances if they were more confident in their goalie? How does that make a lick of sense?

Quote:
It's too bad that Tambo wasn't able to land Bishop. From having followed him over the last couple of seasons, he is the real deal IMO.
Oh good lord. Bishop is basically the same age as DD, has played just 40 NHL games and his now on his third team in as many years. He's proven absolutely nothing.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
McClelland

I would go after Frederik Andersen the Danish international,he ripped off the Sel last season 1.62 sv% and now he has playing great this season in Norfolk 2.08 sv%

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2013/4...nators-ottawa-

He is in my mind ready for 15 games next season and has talent enough to give Dubie a fight in a couple of years. The Ducks has a solid duo in Hiller/Fasth and a couple of other decent ahl prospects.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=15205

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:47 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Management absolutely failed by not bringing in a legit goalie to push Dubnyk. Khabby can be counted on in stretches but is hardly reliable considering his age and is oft injured so yes, Tambellini has failed in this regard. It does give me some comfort that Tambellini was apparently pushing hard for Bishop, it shows that he recognizes the weakness and is looking to address it.

Dubnyk is ok but i'm in the group that sees him as a goalie who is great when the pressure is off and folds like a cheap tent with any game pressure. Just look at all the soft goals that he has given up in the 3rd periods this season. The San Jose and Detroit debacles are still fresh in my mind and there are several others as well.
He always starts playing well when the team is already down by a goal or two or is up by a large margin (like during the winning streak) and that inflates his numbers.
Of course, there is no way for me to prove this other than my eye test but from what i see, i have little to no confidence in him in tight games especially late.

Don't get me wrong, Dubnyk has made some strides in his game but i'm not confident that he is "THE guy" going forward when this team is ready to contend. He just seems to have too much mental fragility.
I'd agree if you said he just lets in soft goals in general. I don't buy any of this when the pressure's on business. Not that it's not possible to have a goalie like that, but that Dubnyk is not one of them. There's been too many times where he just makes save after save when the games tied and in 1 goal games. The soft goal in those situations are simply just easier to remember than the saves in those situations.

The recent games we've blown in the third period, have been due to team defence...we didn't push the issue and we sat back, we allowed them to have a shooting gallery at Dubnyk.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:48 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
That it's a "Failure" of the Organization that they don't have another near starter to battle with Dubnyk? Really? Maybe it's just the way it smacks of, and comes from, "well sure he's playing good now, but if there isn't this 'pressure' or whatever he'll slack off, or something" that makes me look at it oddly.

Quote:
It's not a "failure" of management, wow. They need a back up going forward, but a "failure" of the organization is a term better suited to the state of the blueline or the lack of quality depth in the forward ranks, not the state of the BACK UP GOALIE.

Quote:
Dubnyk is ok but i'm in the group that sees him as a goalie who is great when the pressure is off and folds like a cheap tent with any game pressure. Just look at all the soft goals that he has given up in the 3rd periods this season. The San Jose and Detroit debacles are still fresh in my mind and there are several others as well. I can't count how many times that he has deflated team momentum by giving up deflating goals, it has happened enough times to the point of it being an alarming pattern.
Dubnyk has been EVERYTHING you need a #1 goaltender to be this season for the Oilers. He has given them a chance to win EVERY NIGHT he's in the pipes, this is dispite the Oilers give up shots, and scoring chances, like they're 2 for 1 pizza coupons. The San Jose and Detroit dabacles? Good thing the REST OF THE TEAM had no part in those. And you "can't count" the number times soft goals, team deflat because no one is really bother to actually keep track, it's just an "argument" brought up against him, CONSTANTLY, which avoids the Larger issue, he gets NO support.

Quote:
He always starts playing well when the team is already down by a goal or two or is up by a large margin (like during the winning streak) and that inflates his numbers. Of course, there is no way for me to prove this other than my eye test but from what i see, i have little to no confidence in him in tight games especially late.
Do you understand what Save Percentage is? It's the Percentage, of the total amount of shots he's faced, he stops on a REGULAR BASIS. There's NO way to "Inflate" that stats, Unless you're suggesting the Oilers are SO GOOD they're LETTING teams get 30+ shots a night to "Benefit" Dubnyk's numbers, Which is insane, flatly.

You have "no confidence" in him in any game because it comes from a flawed idea both what he "needs to do" as a goalie and how he's played.

Quote:
Again, see the statement above, it starts from a flawed position on the player.

If he was "mental fragile" he wouldn't have top of the league numbers and he wouldn't be the Oilers #1, because if he was "mental fragile" that 1st period in the FIRST GAME of the new season would have sunk him. 6 goals in one period, the worst period of hockey I've ever Seen from a team, not making it out of the 1st period, would have "Steve Mason'd" him. It didn't, he's NOT "Mentaly Fragile"

Quote:
You say Ben Bishop and I'm reminded of Mathieu Garon, I remember how he "was the best back up not starting", Martin Gerber, Vesa Toskala, Chris Mason (for a time), even Dan Ellis was that guy for a bit.

I'm sorry I can't "buy the hype" because I've seen it before, I don't think he can't play and I don't "wish" for Bishop to fail, it's just Hype is a funny thing when it gets going.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
I would go after Frederik Andersen the Danish international,he ripped off the Sel last season 1.62 sv% and now he has playing great this season in Norfolk 2.08 sv%

He is in my mind ready for 15 games next season and has talent enough to give Dubie a fight in a couple of years. The Ducks has a solid duo in Hiller/Fasth and a couple of other decent ahl prospects.
I wonder if, the Ducks decide that Fasth is their "guy", if they move(or buyout) Hiller and bring up Andersen as that exact guy. I really could see that.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:53 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post

247 lbs??? Well, if he can't compete with Dubnyk, maybe Theo Peckham needs some competition.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Holtby. Last year.
I've never seen anything that has said he has ever been available. Didn't they have goalie injuries last year? And have been grooming him to become the starter. Which he now is.

I guess we could have traded a huge chunk of the future for Varlamov. That's worked out really good for Colorado.

I find it hard to believe that so many people would be in favor of spend $6M on a guy like Smith or Howard, who might be very marginal improvements on Dubnyk. Howard has only ever played on defensive stalwart teams up until this season.
And is worse than Dubnyk statistically this season.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Oilfan2
13.5%

Varlamov would have been a nice pickup..Obviously he was available if Colorado could trade for him.
It's called 'management'..You know, where, supposedly, you have the best people that make shrewd and calculated decisions to better your company(team). It may mean you might even 'take advantage' of other team's GMs...awwww..

These deals are available for the right price and the right management group to find.

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:02 AM
Musashi

The Dubnyk lets in softies that deflate this team is becoming more of a myth every day. Don't know why people still try and hold onto this argument as Dubnyk keeps improving in this area and has taken a good step this year in eliminating the bad goals and has given reason to believe he can cut this out of his game.

I can see why some of you aren't sold yet on Dubnyk being the best option for our future #1 as he still does have a lot to prove to enter the top 10 goalie conversation but I don't see how anybody can be disappointed or turned off by his play this season. He's taken another good step this year and has been one of the few bright spots on this team.

I do like the idea of bringing in a good back up who can challenge dubey a bit more. I like Mike Smith but he's going to be too expensive and who knows how he will look outside the Phx/Tippet system. Hiller would be interesting but I would not overpay him. I like Enroth too, but I haven't been keeping up with him so I don't know how he's looked of late.

Imo, I still think Dubey is our best chance at getting a top 10 goalie between our pipes and his play this year hasnt given me any reason to doubt that. Don't understand how any of you are discouraged by his play.

Where are all the bad goals this year game in and game out like some of you are suggesting? With some of you, it seems like we could have Lundqvist in net and you would still be complaining.

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:08 AM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That it's a "Failure" of the Organization that they don't have another near starter to battle with Dubnyk? Really? Maybe it's just the way it smacks of, and comes from, "well sure he's playing good now, but if there isn't this 'pressure' or whatever he'll slack off, or something" that makes me look at it oddly.

It's not a "failure" of management, wow. They need a back up going forward, but a "failure" of the organization is a term better suited to the state of the blueline or the lack of quality depth in the forward ranks, not the state of the BACK UP GOALIE.

Dubnyk has been EVERYTHING you need a #1 goaltender to be this season for the Oilers. He has given them a chance to win EVERY NIGHT he's in the pipes, this is dispite the Oilers give up shots, and scoring chances, like they're 2 for 1 pizza coupons. The San Jose and Detroit dabacles? Good thing the REST OF THE TEAM had no part in those. And you "can't count" the number times soft goals, team deflat because no one is really bother to actually keep track, it's just an "argument" brought up against him, CONSTANTLY, which avoids the Larger issue, he gets NO support.

Do you understand what Save Percentage is? It's the Percentage, of the total amount of shots he's faced, he stops on a REGULAR BASIS. There's NO way to "Inflate" that stats, Unless you're suggesting the Oilers are SO GOOD they're LETTING teams get 30+ shots a night to "Benefit" Dubnyk's numbers, Which is insane, flatly.
Too lazy to multi-quote now so i'll just answer the above.
Yes, it is a failure that management didn't address the backup situation because Dubnyk basically got handed a spot with little competition and the backup goalie is unreliable so when Dubnyk starts to struggle, there is not much of a cushion to fall back on. I hardly blame Khabby outside of his off ice issues that took him away from the ice for a time. He was clearly past his prime and was only really good in contract years. I would have taken that fat, long term contract as well.

Of course i know what save percentage is, i'm not new to hockey Jimmi.
My point is that you can't simply look at the numbers and judge the value of the goalie based solely off his stats. There's more to judging a goalie than pure stats but of course, it gets subjective after that.
My point about stat inflation is that he makes a lot of saves when the games were out of reach and he seems to struggle more in tight games. I'm sure there's a stat somewhere that would back up my claim.

Granted, he doesn't get a lot of help but there have been many occasions when he has let in very stoppable goals at inopportune times (i brought up the Detroit and San Jose games as examples). There were also a bunch of games on that long road trip when he let in an early soft goal which deflated an already mentally fragile group from the beginning and thus, they were playing catch up the rest of the game, something this team is horrible at.
Again, the definition of a soft goal is entirely subjective and cannot be proven by stats. It's based on what i personally see with him and it seems that some others agree with me.
If you and some others don't agree that's fine also. After all, isn't that what this place is about? Posters having different opinions?

Also, just because the rest of the team sucks at times doesn't mean that Dubnyk should be pardoned for folding under pressure as well.
He hasn't played badly and in fact, has played very well at times but i just don't trust this guy in tight games. It's just how i see it and no stat will change my mind on this until he proves me wrong. I see him as a solid 1B type at this point in his career, that could change though as he continues to mature.
FTR, i'm not saying that he is THE problem with the team but i think that he is a part of the problem at times.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:16 AM
shoop

vCash: 78
Quote:
Yes, it is a failure that management didn't address the backup situation because Dubnyk has basically got handed a spot with little competition and the backup goalie is unreliable so when Dubnyk starts to struggle, there is not much of a cushion to fall back on. I hardly blame Khabby outside of his off ice issues that took him away from the ice for a time. He was clearly past his prime and was only really good in contract years. I would have taken that fat, long term contract as well.

Of course i know what save percentage is, i'm not new to hockey Jimmi.
Dubnyk needs a strong back up and someone with the possibility of being number 1. A reliable back up probably means the difference of two to four points. Dubnyk was so obviously tired starting the first ten straight and lost the last five of those in a row. A backup who could be relied upon to pick up a game or two might have gotten the team a couple more points.

In hindsight maybe a buyout of Khabi at the start of the season would have been a good idea.

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 04-10-2013 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Talking about moderation in the open forum is not allowed
shoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:30 AM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Varlamov would have been a nice pickup..Obviously he was available if Colorado could trade for him.
It's called 'management'..You know, where, supposedly, you have the best people that make shrewd and calculated decisions to better your company(team). It may mean you might even 'take advantage' of other team's GMs...awwww..

These deals are available for the right price and the right management group to find.
So you would have been okay with trading what Colorado did to get a goalie who is no lore proven than Dubnyk??

Old
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
That's lazy fan talk befitting of a team with lazy management. There are plenty of backups hitting the market every summer, there are undrafted euros rising in major euro leagues, there are gold star draft prospects available late in the first round, there are goalies being moved because of contracts or failures playing for the Flyers (at least one a year there) - there are plenty of opportunities to try out, especially for a team that can spend to the cap instead of filling Katz's pockets.
So I'm a lazy fan because I'm comfortable with our starter being a young, developing 1A guy who is currently in the top half of most goaltending categories.

A lazy fan is content with Smid and Petry (#3 and 4 guys) being our top pairing. A lazy fan is content with Horcoff on the top pp unit and playing 20 minutes a night, a lazy fan was okay with resigning a usless Smyth for 2 more years. A lazy fan is okay with Potter being on their teams NHL roster.

I have suggested many possible back ups for going forward. Not one other poster has done the same. The only other options that have been suggested is Hiller, Who will not be bought out by Anaheim, and overpaying guys like Howard or Smith on big UFA deals creating a Vancouver like situation.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Dubnyk needs a strong back up and someone with the possibility of being number 1. A reliable back up probably means the difference of two to four points. Dubnyk was so obviously tired starting the first ten straight and lost the last five of those in a row. A backup who could be relied upon to pick up a game or two might have gotten the team a couple more points.

In hindsight maybe a buyout of Khabi at the start of the season would have been a good idea.
Can injured players be bought out?

Old
04-10-2013, 12:08 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
So I'm a lazy fan because I'm comfortable with our starter being a young, developing 1A guy who is currently in the top half of most goaltending categories.

A lazy fan is content with Smid and Petry (#3 and 4 guys) being our top pairing. A lazy fan is content with Horcoff on the top pp unit and playing 20 minutes a night, a lazy fan was okay with resigning a usless Smyth for 2 more years. A lazy fan is okay with Potter being on their teams NHL roster.

I have suggested many possible back ups for going forward. Not one other poster has done the same. The only other options that have been suggested is Hiller, Who will not be bought out by Anaheim, and overpaying guys like Howard or Smith on big UFA deals creating a Vancouver like situation.

Actually, I posted this a few pages ago...these are the UFA goalies (according to capgeek) that I saw as even a remote possibility moving forward...using of course my impressive resume of armchair management decision making skills...

Backstrom- not happening
Emery (Chicago) - maybe...but maybe not a solid choice...a gamble for sure...one I would take though
Budaj (Montreal) -yuck

Thomas no thanks!!!

So Emery, Khudobin, or Leighton in free agency...providing they don't sign with their current club.

Lackluster group if you ask me...Bishop would have been an intelligent pick up but that ship has sailed...any other solutions in free agency???

Old
04-10-2013, 12:22 PM
nabob
Connor & Looch

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Actually, I posted this a few pages ago...these are the UFA goalies (according to capgeek) that I saw as even a remote possibility moving forward...using of course my impressive resume of armchair management decision making skills...

Backstrom- not happening
Budaj (Montreal) -yuck

Thomas no thanks!!!

Lackluster group if you ask me...Bishop would have been an intelligent pick up but that ship has sailed...any other solutions in free agency???
Howard is the only one that I would have confidence in being as good as Dubnyk has been since he became the starter. It's highly unlikely he leaves Detroit for less than $6M.

Enroth would be my pick. Unless some other team is interested in moving a good young goalie.
Tambellini did make a solid offer for Bishop so at least we know he isn't being lazy.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
actionjackson

Quote:
Howard is the only one that I would have confidence in being as good as Dubnyk has been since he became the starter. It's highly unlikely he leaves Detroit for less than $6M.

Enroth would be my pick. Unless some other team is interested in moving a good young goalie.
Tambellini did make a solid offer for Bishop so at least we know he isn't being lazy.
This whole thread has been based on replacing a legit starter who is middle of the pack at worst (at best he could be a legit top ten guy in the future) with a free agent or trade that likely does not exist...

I am all for replacing ANY part of the Oilers which makes them better moving forward...but which NHL manager is letting these pieces of the puzzle go and retaining his job? And even if they are there is a whole league full of teams on standby to start the bidding war...