HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should we trade Stastny/ROR? Or keep BIG 3 together?

View Poll Results: What to do with center situation?
Keep BIG 3 together (Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly), build team around those guys. 31 27.93%
Trade O'Reilly, Re-sign Stastny, try to get good pieces back for ROR in a trade. 8 7.21%
Trade Stastny next trade deadline or Draft for good defenseman or winger. 54 48.65%
Trade O'Reilly AND Stastny, start re-building again as Matt Duchene #1 center. 18 16.22%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Colorado Avalanche

vCash: 500
Should we trade Stastny/ROR? Or keep BIG 3 together?

Hey,

Colorado's management is in tough spot in one year. Stastny's deal is ending and he will be free agent, ROR will be RFA and he has to be qualified for 6 million+, so next 11 months should be very interesting for Avalanche. If they lose both players, Avalanche might be going back to bottom for a long time. Losing both of these guys would be bigger loss than Stewart/Shattenkirk. We simply can't lose both centers, but losing one and filling some other holes in our roster could make us better IMO.

I didn't add Duchene as trading option, because I believe he's the guy who's going to stay. Especially after year he's had, so he's pretty much untouchable, but I can't say same about ROR/Stastny.

What do you think?

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Lonewolfe2015

As our discussion went, opted to keep them together.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
As our discussion went, opted to keep them together.
Yeah! Next 11 months will be very interesting. What is management going to do? What is their view on these guys, will Stastny bounce back to 70-80 points? Did they burn all bridges with ROR?

Old
04-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Avs71

I like Staz, but financially it makes sense for him to be traded. Avs can use the cap savings, as well as whatever he brings back in a trade to plug some holes. Of course he will then proceed to be an 82 point center, and a large majority of the fanbase will clamour he should have never been traded.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Option 1: Lock up somewhere in the range of $18m-$20m in cap space in your top three centers.

Option 2: Risk Stastny sticking as a 50 point center and O'Reilly being the better player.

Option 3: Perhaps not a good return for Staz in a trade, and then who's the third line center?

Option 4: Awful option and hopefully not a realistic one. Duchene is fantastic but why get rid of both Staz/O'Ry? Would set us back.

--

Pros and cons to each one.

My choice is #3 provided that involves re-signing O'Reilly long-term.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:37 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Trade Stastny for a defenseman. Other than through drafting and patience, that's the only way to improve the defense, unless you want to overpay for an older UFA.

Stastny should be shopped at the draft.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I like Staz, but financially it makes sense for him to be traded. Avs can use the cap savings, as well as whatever he brings back in a trade to plug some holes. Of course he will then proceed to be an 82 point center, and a large majority of the fanbase will clamour he should have never been traded.
I dunno. I wouldn't feel bad, If Stastny started to produce some other team(Unless It's Canucks, Detroit etc). I think Avalanche would benefit using his salary to something else, to fill holes in our roster. Stastny would get a fresh start with a new team. I think It's win-win-win situation.

I think Stastny needs new start. He shouldn't stay with Colorado for his career sake.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Trade Stastny for a defenseman. Other than through drafting and patience, that's the only way to improve the defense, unless you want to overpay for an older UFA.

Stastny should be shopped at the draft.
What kind of return we could expect for Stastny, If traded at Draft? I guess around something like Pominville, I don't think It would be too far off.

Quote:
The Buffalo Sabres have acquired forward Johan Larsson, goaltender Matt Hackett, a first-round selection in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft and a second-round selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for forward Jason Pominville and a fourth-round selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Rhaego

Trade both of them, I like tanking

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elway View Post
Trade both of them, I like tanking
How long should we keep tanking? Till we have more first picks than Edmonton? Haha.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Avs71

Stastny won't get a Pominville return. Top 4 defenceman (Gardiner, Sbisa, Hjarmalsson, etc) + something else would be nice.

If Stastny goes, Jones has no place on this team.

Avs71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
klozge
Avs

I like Stastny a lot and I want to see him play under a different coach. If he doesn't improve drastically he needs to get traded, though. O'Reilly on the third line is a waste of talent imo and getting rid of him would be a ridiculous mistake.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:58 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

vCash: 92
I voted for the first, just because it is too fluid until one or both of ROR and Stastny get an extension signed. I also want to see Stastny (along with every other Av) under a new coach before making any major decisions.

04-10-2013, 11:10 AM
JoemAvs

Depends on 2 things:
Are the Avs willing to spend to the cap and who do they draft this year.
I highly doubt that we will ever spend to the cap unless we make the playoffs. Kroenkes will not let the Avs run on a deficit.
Decision has to be made this offseason. So we probably can not afford to lock up all 3 for a combined 20 M. Our defense is putrid enough and we all have seen that you need wingers for all 3 to benefit the most from our depth down the middle. So trading one of Stazz or ROR for a dman would be the way to go.

I believe that if we draft one of MacKinnon , Barkov, Monahan or maybe even Lindholm, it spells the end for BOTH ROR and Stastny.

I have the feeling that PL is deadset on getting rid of ROR next trade deadline. If that is the case and we get to draft Seth Jones we will probably see management make an effort to extend Stastny at a slightly lesser rate.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:11 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Trade him, but not until we have a solid option established for our #3 role.

As our rebuild continues, I guess I could support trading Stastny for a left-handed D to play with Johnson and having Mitchell as our #3 C and then one of our young guys be our #4 C next year.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:18 AM
cgf

I'd rather trade our first round pick next year than one of Staz or O'Reilly to get that EJ partner.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I think it's time to trade Stastny. I'm not sure he wants to re-sign here and you can't let an asset like that walk without getting anything for him.

Centers are still in high demand.

If he wants to re-sign for a reasonable salary, then we can keep him.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
GeoffL19

Stastny's value is still way to low at the draft. Most teams are in cap trouble as it is, so unless we retain some salary, the deadline is where he will fetch the biggest return.

But, we all know ROR is the one that will be traded away. Which is not SO bad, since he can get a a #2 D-man.

GeoffL19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Elever
Hth

Imo it's too late now. We shoulda traded one for a winger, one for a reliable dman, and then drafted Nathan MacKinnon as centre during the draft with Hishon/Sgarbossa for the 3rd line C in the future.

MacKinnon's the best player available in this draft from what I see. Seth Jones will be good and he's more of a greater need for us but he's a positional need. If we didn't have any centre depth then we'd probably be drafting MacKinnon anyways. I still think we should try to move Stastny for a top 4 dmen and draft MacKinnon, he can play wing as well.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:50 AM
marioni

One of them will be traded. Long term probably both are gone, since Avs cant afford to pay 6 million for 50 point guys.

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:53 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 350
Option 1 until the Avs have a better idea of what is happening with O'Reilly and/or how much they can re-sign Stastny for. No reason to sabotage that depth without knowing how things will play out. They could potentially go from having an embarrassment of riches to having just Duchene down the middle.

Besides, Stastny isn't going to bring that much back in a trade with his recent numbers and cap hit.

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:27 PM
Grackle Party
Varls Barkley 2k12

Keep Stastny, Id like to see him under a new coach.

however if Sacco stays then I think he needs to be delt.

Edit: Should say keep all three but if one goes I guess its Stastny

Grackle Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

It's hard to say. O'reilly at 6.5 going forward is just as bad as Stastny at that number. I don't think there are any great options here.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:38 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

If we can get a Top 4 defenseman for Stastny I'd trade him straight away. I don't think we can get something great for him, but his value isn't getting higher.

RobinDIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I would say it depends on who we draft this year. I'll assume the Avs get a top 3 pick.

Draft Jones: Keep all 3 and see if you can get all 3 centers signed for $18m. This should leave enough room to maintain 6 solid wingers and a solid top 4, but the Avs will have to spend near the cap.

Draft MacKinnon: Trade one of ROR or Stastny. Doesn't really matter which as Mac will likely be the #2 long term as he has significantly more offensive upside than either one. I would lean to trading ROR because of the higher return he would bring (play Mac at RW until ROR could be traded or injuries happen).

Draft Drouin: All options are really open. Drouin helps give depth on the wings and would allow the 3 centers to split Drouin, Landeskog, McGinn, PAP, Downie, and Jones. All of those players on their game are top 6 capable. This would be a team that could roll 3 legit scoring lines the whole game. This would make me lean to keeping all 3, but at the same point Hishon/Sgarbossa could be groomed to take over a #3 scoring line role with some talent on their wings to help them along. If one of those two are close enough to being ready (could probably tell by next trade deadline), then I would lean to trading Stastny for a top 4 defender.

henchman24 is online now   Reply With Quote