HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What's keeping Rinne from demanding a trade?

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Predsboro

vCash: 500
Man ... I gotta stay out of these threads. Might get hit in the head by all the sky falling in here.

Yeah, this season sucked ... yeah, we are in definite need of some upgrades on forward. But as bad as we've sucked, we were still in the playoff race until around the PHX debacle. Heck, we're 5 points out of 8th today (yes, I know it's over this year).

We've missed the playoffs now twice since the previous lockout. Relax Chicken Little ...

Old
04-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
Man ... I gotta stay out of these threads. Might get hit in the head by all the sky falling in here.

Yeah, this season sucked ... yeah, we are in definite need of some upgrades on forward. But as bad as we've sucked, we were still in the playoff race until around the PHX debacle. Heck, we're 5 points out of 8th today (yes, I know it's over this year).

We've missed the playoffs now twice since the previous lockout. Relax Chicken Little ...
It is just as crazy to see us be 13th in the league and pretend nothing is wrong. Yes, injuries hurt, but every team has injuries. There are issues with this team. Big issues.

There is a happy medium of course, but we have a right to be worried.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:55 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
lol

holy knee-jerk overration batman!

1) Half season. If this was the first 40+ games of a regular season we'd have 40 games to pull up in the standings with a very young team.

2) The past 2 games our lineup has been about half AHL players. Personally, I'm glad they're getting playing time and it's clear with the Erat trade that DP is looking towards the future.

3) Future. Going forward we have lots of young guns that have already proved to be, at the least, solid NHL players. (Wilson, Josi, Bourque, Beck) then another group of guys with great potential (Smith, Forsberg, Watson, Bartley, Blum).

We have a core of elite veterans (Rinne, Weber) and solid vets (Horny, Fish, Klein, Goose) to add to these young talents. In my opinion, the future is bright. That looks to me like a playoff team moving forward, and a probable cup contender in a few years.
Quoted for truth- excellent post

Old
04-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
What is stopping Pekka from demanding a trade? He has watched Suter, Weber (possibly), and Erat all try to leave. We are consistently getting throttled, giving him no scoring support, and our defense is hardly stellar. Money isn't an issue, since he's getting his 7x7 deal wherever he goes. There would be a market for him, to say the least.

Mitch Korn is certainly a draw here, but if I'm Pekka, I don't know why I'm not headed for a big market to play behind a good team (Philly, Toronto, Detroit if Howard goes UFA, etc.)

I am beyond thrilled that he is, since we would be the single worst team in the league without him, but why is he staying? Team loyalty for giving him a shot? Mitch Korn? Why?

Quote:
No, we are a terrible, injured team with a very bright future. Rinne, Weber, Josi, Wilson, Bourque, Forsberg, Ellis, Hornqvist, and Blum is a very solid young core. This team will come back, I just think we're between windows of competitiveness right now. Restock and come back strong in 2-3 years.
Do you have multiple personalities? These posts we're less than an hour apart.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post

That's exactly what I have been trying to say in all my replies.

And here is something else- I absolutely believe that if we had had a completely healthy team all year, we would have made the playoffs- despite a year in which almost everything has gone wrong, we are STILL only 5 points out of the playoffs.

That means that if we had just THREE more wins, we would be in the playoffs- and I absolutely believe with a healthy roster we easily would have had at least 3 more wins, if not more.

And as someone else pointed out, if this were a normal year, there would be 40 more games left and we would still be in it....

Old
04-10-2013, 11:12 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea Weber View Post
Do you have multiple personalities? These posts we're less than an hour apart.
I am not questioning this team's future (3 years). I'm questioning if we are a contender in the next two years. As I said in the 2nd one, I think we will restock and be back in contention in three years.

Pekka is 30. He doesn't have that long. If we're three years off from being in the mix, he's wasting half of his prime. Again, I think he should stay, but it has to be frustrating to get bombarded every night.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Out: Suter, AK, Radulov, Erat

In: Clune, Beck, Hannan

I strongly disagree. But yes, if we land two top free agents, things change. Doubt that happens.
We were a top 4 team without AK and AR (who?)

I do think we have to add to this team. We need a top forward and a top 4 defenseman.

If we get those, we're fine.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:14 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
Quote:
What is stopping Pekka from demanding a trade? He has watched Suter, Weber (possibly), and Erat all try to leave. We are consistently getting throttled, giving him no scoring support, and our defense is hardly stellar. Money isn't an issue, since he's getting his 7x7 deal wherever he goes. There would be a market for him, to say the least.

Mitch Korn is certainly a draw here, but if I'm Pekka, I don't know why I'm not headed for a big market to play behind a good team (Philly, Toronto, Detroit if Howard goes UFA, etc.)

I am beyond thrilled that he is, since we would be the single worst team in the league without him, but why is he staying? Team loyalty for giving him a shot? Mitch Korn? Why?
Maybe because unlike our fanbase he isn't panicked by one injury riddled bad half season. Maybe people in the room don't draw the same conclusions about players departures that you do. Maybe he knows that playing goalie on a team with a defense first philosophy is a pretty sweet place to be as opposed to the places you mentioned who seem to grind good goalies into dust.

Just sayin...

Old
04-10-2013, 12:24 PM
jlsg

Pekka knows that we're a lot closer to a contending team then most around here seem to think. I think defense is solid as is but we do need to add another forward to replace SK. I think we can look at Forsberg as being an upgrade to Erat. Beck, Watson and even Bang have impressed me the last couple of games. I say we're 5 or 6 place team next year and get at least to the 2nd round in playoffs.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Legionnaire11

Maybe he just likes living and playing in Nashville?

He's got Weber, Josi and Klein in front of him.
He's got Mitch Korn to guide him.
He's got a good defensive system which has proven that other goalies who left it have not matched their numbers while in Nashville.
He knows that with Forsberg coming over, and a solid draft pick this season, combined with the emergence of Wilson and Bourque (Beck not far behind apparantly), that the forwards are going to probably be the best forward group the team has ever had in a year or two...

and maybe he just likes living and playing in Nashville.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Shea Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Maybe because unlike our fanbase he isn't panicked by one injury riddled bad half season. Maybe people in the room don't draw the same conclusions about players departures that you do. Maybe he knows that playing goalie on a team with a defense first philosophy is a pretty sweet place to be as opposed to the places you mentioned who seem to grind good goalies into dust.

Just sayin...

Old
04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Ok, this is my last post in this thread since all that's happening is people taking my posts out of context.

You're all making legit points.
I guess he likes our city, our system, and our future. The point of this thread was just to discuss why he wanted to say, not to say we have no future or that he should want out. I wanted to brainstorm what was stopping him. That was it.

Lets all move on. Hopefully the optimists here are right and we can compete next year, though I think we're a but further away. At least we can agree the future is bright with this young core.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:06 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Ok, this is my last post in this thread since all that's happening is people taking my posts out of context.

You're all making legit points.
I guess he likes our city, our system, and our future. The point of this thread was just to discuss why he wanted to say, not to say we have no future or that he should want out. I wanted to brainstorm what was stopping him. That was it.

Lets all move on. Hopefully the optimists here are right and we can compete next year, though I think we're a but further away. At least we can agree the future is bright with this young core.
I don't your post are far off but I don't think Rinne is the one you have to worry about Weber is the one. This season can be alibied on injuries and Rinne's sub par year but the true thing is that the offense was never there. Fisher and Legwand have come on late in the season but for the first half of the season Wilson was alone with the offense. Bourque then took up after that. But the offense has been for the most part is weak and that could have help a Rinne overcome some of his sluggish season. But this season started in the offseason when Poile tried to hide the fact that he botched the Suter deal and didn't bring any offense in.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:28 PM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 50
*quoted wrong post meant to respond to top 6*
Well no offense but if you intended for this to be a more positive thread you sure picked a provocative title. If you wanted peoples opinions as to why Rinne signed lomg term and hasn't wavered you could have titled the thread "what makes pekka different from suter and erat?"

Old
04-10-2013, 08:40 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
He is a true Pred. He signed on long term even knowing Suter/Weber may or may not be here. He's classy.
This.

Also, unlike some other players we've had, I think Rinne recognizes that he's part of the problem this year. Don't get me wrong, he's still awesome. But his numbers have dropped off, he's let in a lot more soft goals than usual and he's had games where he's totally fallen apart. He knows this.

Some other players like to blame the team for sucking without recognizing their own part in it. Rinne isn't like that.

Like you said, he's classy.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:04 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think a lot of you guys are missing the point here. It isn't that T6S is saying Rinne might leave or should leave because the team is just screwed all the way around. He's asking what keeps Rinne firmly here while other guys don't seem to have bought into the environment. He's obviously a competitor, but he displays loyalty that doesn't seem common with a lot of the higher end Preds players over the years.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:43 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point here. It isn't that T6S is saying Rinne might leave or should leave because the team is just screwed all the way around. He's asking what keeps Rinne firmly here while other guys don't seem to have bought into the environment. He's obviously a competitor, but he displays loyalty that doesn't seem common with a lot of the higher end Preds players over the years.
I get his point- but my point is, and maybe its just me, but I am tired of what seems like everyone involved with the Predators, from the GM all the way down to the fans being so sensitive about "players wanting out", or worrying that any good player we have it going to want to bolt the first time we start a losing stretch. Poile has looked visibly shaken over the Suter and Erat situations, and it seems like that attitude has filtered down to the fans.

I mean, look around- Philly is having a terrible year, worse than ours- is anyone wondering if Giroux wants out there? How about Carolina? Are they worried about Staal or Ward wanting out? Tampa Bay?? They think Stamkos wants out?? We seem to worry about this more than any other franchise.

I really believe our organization gets more respect OUTSIDE of Nashville than we give it ourselves. How about this- the Predators have a first class organization that has been incredibly successful on and off the ice and play in one of the best cities in the NHL- only thing we don't have is a long hockey tradition.......

I'd like to see more of attitude of "hey, we have a great thing going here- you don't want to be a part of it?? Fine, that is your loss- we'll succeed without you".

Players are always going to leave- it happens to every franchise- and I don't think we have much more of a problem, if any, than anyone else. All of the so called issues we have had have had some kind of extenuating circumstances (Suter wanting to go home, etc).

Just my opinion.......

Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Fans are always the most vocal critics of their own teams. That's the way it works, and it has been that way for longer than any of us have been alive. It works that way in other cities as well.

As for people being sensitive about players wanting out, I don't see this as the point of the thread at all so it's not really relevant in my opinion. I get what you're saying, but this thread is more like "why is Rinne the exception?" not "OMG when is Rinne going to ask for a trade? because he totally should!"

I think the OP was looking for things like Rinne is a fierce competitor, but he is also fiercely loyal. He isn't a guy who needs the spotlight all of the time, though he doesn't shy away from it either. He is patient. He is still relatively young, and has more time to wait on a retooling than Erat did. Etc.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:32 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Fans are always the most vocal critics of their own teams. That's the way it works, and it has been that way for longer than any of us have been alive. It works that way in other cities as well.

As for people being sensitive about players wanting out, I don't see this as the point of the thread at all so it's not really relevant in my opinion. I get what you're saying, but this thread is more like "why is Rinne the exception?" not "OMG when is Rinne going to ask for a trade? because he totally should!"

I think the OP was looking for things like Rinne is a fierce competitor, but he is also fiercely loyal. He isn't a guy who needs the spotlight all of the time, though he doesn't shy away from it either. He is patient. He is still relatively young, and has more time to wait on a retooling than Erat did. Etc.
If that's what he intended with this thread then he did a very poor job with it, beginning with the title of the thread- not sure why you are going to so much trouble trying to explain it for him.

And I do understand about fans being more critical of their own team- of course that is true. But I'm telling you it is WAY overboard on here- more doom, gloom, and negativity here than on the Atlanta Thrashers board (RIP) I used to participate on- a franchise that had ZERO playoff wins in 11 years-

I can't imagine what this place would be like if we don't have another playoff win till 2024!!!

Old
04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
If that's what he intended with this thread then he did a very poor job with it, beginning with the title of the thread- not sure why you are going to so much trouble trying to explain it for him.

And I do understand about fans being more critical of their own team- of course that is true. But I'm telling you it is WAY overboard on here- more doom, gloom, and negativity here than on the Atlanta Thrashers board (RIP) I used to participate on- a franchise that had ZERO playoff wins in 11 years-

I can't imagine what this place would be like if we don't have another playoff win till 2024!!!
WAY overboard? Give me a break. This has been one of the most frustrating years in the history of this franchise. Starting with the AK/Rads debacle the frustrations kept comng over and over. The loss to the Yotes. Suter bolting causing Poile to cry himself to sleep every night. Right after that Weber signing that insane offer sheet that the Preds matched, but at tremendous financial burden. The lockout. A regressing season where it seemed like most of the players took a step back. All of the injuries. Erat bolting. The uncertainy of what lies ahead of this team going forward.

No I think people who are passionate about the team have went through a lot after it seemed like the Stanley Cup was finally a real possibility. People are frustrated, mad, sad, and come here to vent it with fellow Preds fans. Not overboard at all - just a conclusion of a pretty crappy year for the team.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:17 PM
roseyc

San Jose is kinda going through the same thing as did the Ottawa team of the mid 90's. They had their run and they didn't make it. San Jose is trying for one last run with their core group. Ottawa had Hossa, Alfredson and Chara and they just ran into a better NJ team with a much better defense and goalie. The Preds didn't let their run play out. Suter bolted and Erat and Poile didn't add to the offense and what he did add in Ak and Rad blew up in his face. The Kings were facing it but made it and made the big trade and it paid off. So we as fans are not alone in knowing what could have been and maybe what should have been but now we know what were facing next year. The message from Trotz is not having the effect it once did and now Poile was doing everything right and now is having questionable moves.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:56 AM
sparkle twin
Curse strikes again!

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
If players are true professionals then they won't panic after one down year. If they have the ability to look at the players in the system and the history of the team, they know that they will be back. It may take a couple years to really get back to true contender status, but we can get back there. If after a few years there appears to not be any progress (like failed prospects and failed FA's) and we're still languishing in 13-15th place, then I could see guys asking for a trade to a contender.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:02 AM
predfan98

We're not over reacting. We watched half of a season of a disintegrating team that doesn't give it's all on the ice. And it's gotten worse and worse.

no wonder Pekka is so frustrated. We've turned into a team of "I don't give a dam and I sure won't protect a teammate."

We've watched NON PREDS hockey for half a season. Actually I think it started last year and not just at the playoff games in Phoenix. It just crept in for whatever reason.

I would support this team if they cared, but they don't. We're mad because there is no identity anymore of "hardworking."

If they were professionals , we wouldn't have seen this this year. We would have seen hard working players that were decimated by injuries, but still gave a dam. That isn't what we've seen

Old
04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Pekka isn't frustrated, this is all **** made up by sky is falling posters.

Old
04-11-2013, 08:40 AM
RaiderDoug

Why doesn't everyone on every team that's missing the playoff's demand a trade?

Stamkos has to be pissed that Tampa Bay is:

consistently getting throttled, giving him no scoring support, and the defense is hardly stellar. Money isn't an issue, since he's getting his monster deal wherever he goes. There would be a market for him, to say the least.

Maybe we can trade Rinne for Stamkos.

Or maybe, just maybe, these guys realize that there's some mitigating factors, and they realize that not everyone always makes the playoffs all the time.

Closed Thread