HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is it possible that we, as a fan base, may be overreacting to this poor season?

Old
04-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

vCash: 500
Is it possible that we, as a fan base, may be overreacting to this poor season?

Let me preface this by saying that this year has been an utter disappointment. The expectations were high this year as they are ever year in Philadelphia. We expect a quality team to step out onto the ice night in and night out to battle and contend for a Stanley Cup. The fact that we're looking at missing the playoffs for only the second time in 18 years is disheartening and may seem like a cause for concern. But if we take a step back and look at the big picture, can it be we are not in as bad as a situation that we are making it out to be?

I guess I can start by posing a question for you guys. Do you think that if this season had the standard 82 games as opposed to 48 games that the Flyers would make the playoffs? If you look at the standings now, in an 82 game season we're not in the worst shape. Obviously we're not doing well but our position in the standings as of today wouldn't necessarily be the point in which we would end a normal season. Having the shortened season hurt our chances. I think that if this were a normal season, teams would switch positions in the playoff standings (Leafs out, Flyers in for example).

Another point to bring up is the injuries. With the amount of injuries and man games missed the Flyers have racked up so far this season, it's no wonder we're in the position that we find ourselves in today. Some things to consider:

1. Hartnell may have rushed himself back from his foot injury. Since he knew it was a shortened season and that off the bat every game mattered, he may have rushed getting back onto the ice. If he would have had the benefit of a normal length of schedule, he may have had the chance to fully recover. Whether or not his foot is the reason for his poor year is debatable, but to say that the injury didn't slow him down in some aspect doesn't hold any merit in my opinion.

2. Our defense is like the men on the Eastern Front; battered, bruised and MIA. Again, if we had an 82 game season, they would be able to heal up and get back to form. I know our defense isn't good to begin with but it would absolutely help our cause to make the playoffs. Also, having more games in the season would give Luke Schenn more time to play with the adapt and learn to play with our team.

3. Mez, Coburn, Read, Hartnell, Briere, Grossman, Talbot, Rinaldo. All of these players have missed a decent chunk of games this year. If that were to happen to any other team in the league, the result would be the same; no playoffs, especially in a shortened season.

The lack of training camp has to be taken into consideration, too. I know that no team had a proper training camp this year but we're a very young team. Our players are still growing and maturing into the stars that they may or may not be. It is imperative for them to practice together as much as possible so some real chemistry can form.

I know that some things have just been plain bad. Bryzgalov's sub par season (outside of the beginning of the year when he was playing well), the lack of a competent backup for most of the season, the shallow depth on defense, the forward's inability to score at 5v5, managerial decisions, etc. But is it too early to call for heads to roll down Broad Street? This team, year after year, is competitive. 16 out of the last 18 years the Flyers have had a shot at the Cup. Now I know that this isn't horse shoes and close doesn't quite cut it, but to say that everything needs to change may be too much of a knee jerk reaction to a poor shortened season.

With all that being said I do believe that some things DO need to change and should be addressed this off season. First off we need to fire Jeff Reese (I don't even need to explain why since it's so mind numbingly obvious). I think that we should also look into replacing Lavy as the head coach. With that being said, I wouldn't be devastated if he were to come back for one more season. I personally think he deserves one more shot with a full season, a healthy team and hopefully a bolstered blue line.

TL;DR: This season may not necessarily be the true colors of our team. We should take a step back and assess the situation with calm heads and hallow hearts. There is no need for drastic moves this off season. Yet if that ends up happening I will be 100 percent behind the team.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Philadelphia sports fans overreacting? You don't say.

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Angelo Cataldi has made a 25 year career, and (I'm assuming) millions of dollars based off of the fact that this city's sports fans are bipolar.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:12 AM
AaronTrieu

Injuries kill us this year. I cry everytime I look at our defense.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
shipwreck
HFBoards Sponsor

I think all the fans should be bought out in the Amnesty this summer - bring in new fans

shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Overreaction might be part of our city motto.

04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
I think all the fans should be bought out in the Amnesty this summer - bring in new fans

Keep Kudymen. He's a pretty cool guy

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
"The City of Over-Reactionary Love/Hate" ?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:19 AM
LegionOfDoom91

As a person who gave up on the season two weeks ago last night wasn't some crushing reality to me.

Too many injuries this year and too much inconsistent play.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Philadelphia sports fans overreacting? You don't say.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
It's Philly. We overreact if a star player ***** sideways.

TheDrizzle81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Pretty sure Ottawa and Detroit have more man games lost.

I didn't expect Hartnell to repeat his performance of a year ago, even if he was 110% healthy.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:33 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Not a chance.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:38 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Holmgren had a poor offseason..lots of miscalcs. I'm not surprised by the poor season at all and predicted it in earlier threads prior to the season starting. I mentioned they would most likely miss the playoffs and be slightly below .500. No overreaction here at all..but definitely disappointed in the GM and the players lack of compete this season despite the misfortune of injuries...oh and also disappointed in Lavi. Big team failure from the top down...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:43 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Holmgren had a poor offseason..lots of miscalcs. I'm not surprised by the poor season at all and predicted it in earlier threads prior to the season starting. I mentioned they would most likely miss the playoffs and be slightly below .500. No overreaction here at all..but definitely disappointed in the GM and the players lack of compete this season despite the misfortune of injuries...
He had miscalculations, but I don't disagree with them. He offered huge deals to Parise and Suter. If they had signed, I'm sure we'd be freaking out about the cap situation right now. We made the ballsiest move and went for Weber. We let go of Carle, who still is absolutely not worth the $ he's getting paid for the next several years. We let go of Jagr, who is what? 41?

Schenn for JVR is a good trade in my mind. Don't think he blew that at all. Bob for a 3rd looks a little shaky (to say the least), but it HAD to be done considering Snider's decree for a #1.

All I know is, we have (what I think is) an outstanding core of young forwards to build off of, a few #2-3 D-men at decent ages, traded for a potential steal in Mason (only 24 years old), and will be getting a Top 10 pick (maybe even Top 5).

I am in no way worried about the team going forward.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Mota

Everything gets magnified in a shortened season. I think if this was a full season they would be in the playoffs, they just happened to get off to a rough start and did not have enough time to recover.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:54 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
He had miscalculations, but I don't disagree with them. He offered huge deals to Parise and Suter. If they had signed, I'm sure we'd be freaking out about the cap situation right now. We made the ballsiest move and went for Weber. We let go of Carle, who still is absolutely not worth the $ he's getting paid for the next several years. We let go of Jagr, who is what? 41?
Meltzer had an excellent write up about why the Parise and Suter attempt was poor (pie on the sky that they would sign here) and the Carle situation was also a miscalc b/c Holmgren had tagging space at one point during the season to sign Carle to a more reasonable contract which Carle was willing to do..Meltzer talked about that too. So there is more to those situations than what it seems at face value.....

Old
04-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Mota

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Meltzer had an excellent write up about why the Parise and Suter attempt was poor (pie on the sky that they would sign here) and the Carle situation was also a miscalc b/c Holmgren had tagging space at one point during the season to sign Carle to a more reasonable contract which Carle was willing to do..Meltzer talked about that too. So there is more to those situations than what it seems at face value.....
The Parise and Suter "attempt" was brilliant. Homer drove up the price on both of those guys, which kept them out of Pittsburgh. It also set the market for the ridiculous offer they gave Weber.

The Flyers had one target last off season, that was Shea Weber. If you asked any Flyers fan last June if they would take a guaranteed Carle or a 50/50 shot at Weber, 99% of them would have rolled the dice for Weber. Homer thought outside the box and did everything right in order to get the guy. Yeah, Nashville matched, but I am still shocked they did given their financial situation.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:03 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Yes. Once we get a PMD most of our problems will be solved. We wont be hammered in our zone for 2 straight minutes on even strength, and the forwards will have a better breakout and wont have to dump and chase all ****in game. If mason can play like he did last night, maybe better, I wont be against buying out Bryz.

This team needs one PMD and we will be noticably better in all areas. Factor in no more sophomore slumps and we are a threat again.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I don't think it's overreacting if you're upset that the team will miss the playoffs. I expect the Flyers to be in the playoffs every year and I am certainly disappointed that they're likey going to miss them this year.

I don't know what some of you are seeing in this team that makes you confident that they would have been in the playoffs in an 82 game season. A lot of players that had career years last year took a step back, which can be expected of younger guys. The injuries don't help (4th in man games lost), but two of the teams that have lost more (Detroit & Ottawa) are in playoff positions. The short season & lack of training camp are blatant excuses; every team had to deal with the same circumstances and, if either of these things were issues, the entire organization failed in its preparation for the season.

04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The Parise and Suter "attempt" was brilliant. Homer drove up the price on both of those guys, which kept them out of Pittsburgh. It also set the market for the ridiculous offer they gave Weber.
This narrative is so overstated/exaggerated..Meltzer debunked this one as well

As far as Weber..I didn't have a problem with that attempt..

Old
04-10-2013, 11:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I don't think it's overreacting if you're upset that the team will miss the playoffs. I expect the Flyers to be in the playoffs every year and I am certainly disappointed that they're likey going to miss them this year.

I don't know what some of you are seeing in this team that makes you confident that they would have been in the playoffs in an 82 game season. A lot of players that had career years last year took a step back, which can be expected of younger guys. The injuries don't help (4th in man games lost), but two of the teams that have lost more (Detroit & Ottawa) are in playoff positions. The short season & lack of training camp are blatant excuses; every team had to deal with the same circumstances and, if either of these things were issues, the entire organization failed in its preparation for the season.
This ^ and then some

Old
04-10-2013, 12:03 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
PhilADHDelphia

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:33 PM
Psuhockey

It depends on your expectations. If you think the Flyers should be in the playoffs every year fighting for the cup, then I imagine this year is devastating. I however am ok with a bad season every now and again because of the draft. Adding a top notch talent every so often will prevent a full blown multi year rebuild. Top notch forwards specifically are usually drafted in the top 14 picks. Yes Giroux, Benn, and Eberle are examples of impact forwards taken later, but those are a rarity not the norm. Also forwards typically reach the peak productive years early in their mid to late 20's before decline so they are tough to obtain in free agency. I would rather miss the playoffs every so often then be consistently mediocre and have no chance in the playoffs of winning the cup. To suffer thru what amounts to a bad half of season is worth it to me.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:39 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Passionate city. That's all.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote