HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

August 2012: Scott Hartnell Signs Extension (6 years, $4.75m cap hit, limited NMC)

Old
08-21-2012, 03:33 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
So you think this is the best deal he could have got on the open market? If you think he could have gotten better, then it's a discount.
He could have got more money and less term, meaning he could have retired a year earlier. As it stands now, the last 2 seasons aren't like the usual retirement contracts, I think it's $3 million for the 5th and 6th years so he likely won't walk away. He got a limited NMC so he pretty much controls where he goes and there's a price for that. Maybe he wouldn't have been given that elsewhere. I think in the grand scheme of things this is a fair contract to both parties.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 03:47 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Even if he regresses towards the end, he still won't forget how to play D. Or score garbage goals for that matter.
Basically Knuble 2.0.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:07 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Pretty safe to assume 29 other GM's would love to have Harts signed to this contract.

If he puts up 30+ goals again, he would flirt with 6 mill per year as a UFA.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Hartnell has been part of our best line at almost any given time since he's been here. He absolutely took less than he could have gotten, and by a lot. How much as the cap gone up since he signed his current contract? And he accepted a raise of only $550K AAV.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:31 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Hartnell has been part of our best line at almost any given time since he's been here. He absolutely took less than he could have gotten, and by a lot. How much as the cap gone up since he signed his current contract? And he accepted a raise of only $550K AAV.
Yep. Still not a discount though, according to some.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Complainers gonna complain

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 04:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Discount compared to what he would have gotten if 29 others teams had the chance to talk to him.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 06:19 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
We'll see how much of a discount people say it is when he's 35 to 37. This is a very fair deal to both the team and Hartnell given the low cap hit and his age.

Old
08-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
He needs to be put with the proper complimentary players to be effective. But he has that with G and jake. They are both going to be even better this year, and hartnell with be there to do the dirty work for them. Though as much as I enjoy the hartnell down thing, it would be nice if he didn't fall down so much, it's embarrassing.
The way I see it, based on his past line duties and the results, is that it is actually the other way around... He was on a line with Carter and Lupul that was white hot until friendly fire (IIRC) injured Loops... After off-ice marital problems derailed both his and Briere's seasons they were united and with Leino and they had nothing short of a fantastic PostSeason run that helped the Flyers reach the Cup Final, and again the next season when they were the Top Line... Last season upon Leino's signing with Buffalo, and after a bad start he joined Giroux and Jagr to form the Top Line, and arguably one of the best in the NHL over the course of the season. In each case it can be argued that Hartnell was the piece that was the catalyst and did the dirty grunt work that allowed the dancers to dance. Hartnell has been on successive hot lines over the course of his five seasons as a Flyer -- and has missed no more than two games in a season and playing two full 82 game seasons as well as every GameSeason game in the process -- I believe that he is the complimentary player that helps make the other talented players play to their best level... He is a true Power Forward that drives top scoring lines, based on what I've seen the past few seasons... and why Homer sought him out when the team was retooled, and why he gave him a second six year contract.

As for his falling down... I believe that is a product of how he plays and a sign of his all out effort, and I have no problem with it. In fact, I love how he turned it around into a money maker for charity... Hardly embarrassing in my eyes.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 08:32 PM
JohnEDrama

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
why are people so in love hartnell? because he was great one season with jagr? he's gone, if he falls of the wagon this season, what's the excuse going to be? what about the defense?

do you fans even care about winning or is about favoritism? there's no accountability in this organization or the fans. he disappeared in the playoffs, what about that? i mean seriously what do you love about him? the guy cant shoot, cant skate, turns over the puck.
I think last season was your first year watching the flyers, because clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

He beat his career year by 7 points, its not like he exploded with "jagr" Its also funny that you pointed out what will he do without Jagr. I remember so many amazing passes for Hartnell tap ins. In fact, without Jagr, i bet Hartnell would probably be a 4th liner according to you.

I feel like if Giroux were to be extended next (which he cant yet) you would be ripping that as well, and probably citing Jagr again.

And for a guy who cant seem to shoot, he sure scores alot.

JohnEDrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
this is what sticks out the most to me:

ya, players arent greedy at all....he could have gotten more, but chose less and the PA is mad at that? gimme a break. all the owners' faults, eh?
Just Timmeh stirring the turd stew, as per usual.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 06:43 AM
MsWoof

They said he has a modified NMC. Does anyone know exactly what that means? I would think the NMC in effect towards the end of his career so he can't be sent down.

Old
08-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Krishna

I haven't seen anything on it, but I'd say it would probably be the opposite.

NMC in the first 4 or 5 ish years and then no more after that

Old
08-22-2012, 07:58 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Just Timmeh stirring the turd stew, as per usual.
doubtful considering every time I read about a player signing at a supposed discounted price, they always bring up the PA not being happy about it

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
They said he has a modified NMC. Does anyone know exactly what that means? I would think the NMC in effect towards the end of his career so he can't be sent down.
My guess a lot of that 'Modified' part is associated with the No Trade portion that would have to be a part of it by definition... I would guess that it allows either a designated number of teams he would allow a trade to or ones he would not allow a trade to.... That is what I immediately thought of upon hearing about it, since we often hear about Modified NTCs.

However, that said, the theory that it means he cannot be moved in the early stages of the contract kinda sounds logical to me also... I don't think they ever really leak out the details, unless it gets leaked out when it can possibly come into play.

Edit: Corrected typo... meant he is protected in early portion.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-22-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edited Late stages to early stages
Old
08-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I've never heard of a modified no movement clause before, but I am guessing it is the same as a modified NTC except they can't place him on waivers.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:09 PM
mirimon

It's good to have Hartnell locked up. The cap hit is really nice, even if it comes at a cost of a rather long-ish contract. Next year's UFA crop is looking less and less interesting.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I've never heard of a modified no movement clause before, but I am guessing it is the same as a modified NTC except they can't place him on waivers.
Thats what I was thinking.. Or it's only in effect for certain years?

Old
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I assume 'Modified' denotes altered from the strictest letter of the law on the clause... and No Move is merely taking the No Trade up a notch to cover everything... so anything short of the player having total control throughout the length of the contract would make it a Modified one. I suppose the details could be minor or quite restrictive.

In any case, besides the ability to avoid being waived down, clauses merely give the player an upper-hand and allows him to make sure he ends up in one of the Organizations/Cities where he wants to be, and makes sure he doesn't end up where he really doesn't want to go.

Home in his too often honest frankness talked about NTC to the STHs at a town meeting a few years back and basically said that a player doesn't want to stay where he is not wanted and he can work with a player in moving him, and the player will agree -- of course Waiving is another story entirely -- Ironically the question he was answering and the example Homer used was Harnell... I find Holmgren at the Town Meetings to be blunt and trusting and wears his emotions on his sleeves, while he seems much more guarded with the Media and I'd guess he lies his ass off with other GMs.

Old
04-09-2013, 08:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Fartsmell is back .....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Brophy

Bunch of whinny ass armchair GMs on this team. Hartnell hasnt given up on the Flyers like some of you. Any other team would kill to have him signed to that contract. Hes a lifer I hope. Hell yeah.

Brophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Yeah, people need to ease up on Hartnell. He missed half the season with an injury and didn't play anywhere during the lockout. He's played in 23 games since last year when he had a career year and hasn't looked as good as he did last year! He is finished! What a bum! Trade him for a seventh anyone can replace him!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:37 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Let's buyout every freakin player on the team so we have 60 million dollars in cap space. Cap space is paramount to a good team.

04-10-2013, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Hartnell hasn't been good this year but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Who knows how healed that foot was when he came back or if he re-injured it. its been a tough year for just about everyone.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 11:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah, people need to ease up on Hartnell. He missed half the season with an injury and didn't play anywhere during the lockout. He's played in 23 games since last year when he had a career year and hasn't looked as good as he did last year! He is finished! What a bum! Trade him for a seventh anyone can replace him!
you would be a great fiction writer..you come up with things people never think of or utter....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote