HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 01:14 PM
  #301
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgLindros View Post
Per Carchidi: #Flyers deny report from THEIR FLAGSHIP RADIO STATION that Bryz was benched for sleeping at team meeting.
at least he wasn't sleeping while on the ice .... as the rest of his team did vs NYI.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:22 PM
  #302
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
what does Leighton make?
how many here give him a pass for costing us the CUP in '10 because he doesn't have a huge contract ?

exactly.

we all said "he sucks", not "it's OK, his cap hit is low"
You just don't get it man.

Nobody had high expectations for Leighton when we acquired him compared to Bryz.

Leighton overachieved behind a defense lead by arguably the best defensemen of this era. People get pissed at him because he let up a goal in a Stanley Cup clinching game that's a routine save even in beer leagues.

Many people get pissed at Bryz because we though we were getting one of the better goalies in the league not an average goalie.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:44 PM
  #303
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You just don't get it man.

Nobody had high expectations for Leighton when we acquired him compared to Bryz.
no. you just don't get it. my post was not about "expectations when they were signed", it was about "criticism levels varying because of contract dollars"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
You honestly think goalies making under 2 million will receive same criticism as ......
ML got cut NO slack because his cap # is low. NONE.

we ALL criticized him for blowing our chance at the CUP.

NOBODY said: "It's OK, i know we lost the CUP, but his cap # is low"

no. he got criticized just as much an any goalie would have & should have. Even higher paid ones.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 01:50 PM
  #304
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
no. you just don't get it. my post was not about "expectations when they were signed", it was about "criticism levels varying because of contract dollars"
They are related. The higher the contract is the higher the expectations are. That's not just from a fan standpoint either it's also coming from management.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
  #305
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,555
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They are related. The higher the contract is the higher the expectations are. That's not just from a fan standpoint either it's also coming from management.
what are you talking about. cap hit only matters with the skaters. cap hit doesn't matter with the goaltending

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:17 PM
  #306
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
They are related. The higher the contract is the higher the expectations are. That's not just from a fan standpoint either it's also coming from management.
Didn't Timonen say the same thing..the highest paid players in the room need to be the best players..and also the most awake.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:22 PM
  #307
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Didn't Timonen say the same thing..the highest paid players in the room need to be the best players..and also the most awake.
Yes so you could even include some of the players to that if you want.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
  #308
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
no. you just don't get it. my post was not about "expectations when they were signed", it was about "criticism levels varying because of contract dollars"



ML got cut NO slack because his cap # is low. NONE.

we ALL criticized him for blowing our chance at the CUP.

NOBODY said: "It's OK, i know we lost the CUP, but his cap # is low"

no. he got criticized just as much an any goalie would have & should have. Even higher paid ones.
Your argument is poo poo. Leighton stunk. Bryz stinks, so they're similar in that regard. Difference comes in when we could afford better skaters with Leighton than with Bryz.

Even though we won the trade, Carter had to be dealt in order to afford Bryz. I was never a Carter fan, but he did more for the team on a nightly basis than Bryz ever has.

I'm not against paying goalies big money, by the way, but it has to be the right guy. It's just frustrating when we obviously had a gem with Bobrovsky, but ****ing Snider wants another Cup before his heart stops working, and we all have to suffer for it.

Mgkibbles is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:24 PM
  #309
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Do you think that the ~4M they save on the amnesty wouldn't still be there if he wasn't? It's not like that 4M will prohibit them from signing someone in the future.
The money would be there, but the cap space won't.

I was simply countering the argument that not buying out Bryz is the fiscally responsible thing to do. It's not. It actually costs them more money.

WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:27 PM
  #310
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
The math on that is so wrong.

The entire remaining 7 years is spread out over 14 years...

Talk about manipulating the numbers to support your point..
????

The argument wasn't on whether or not we should buy Bryz out, the argument was on whether we should buy Bryz out this year or next year.

The primary difference between a buyout this year versus next year is that 8M that he would be paid this year.

EDIT: Since you wanted it so badly, I did the FULL math for you rather than just an approximation.

Assuming a 5% discount rate, a buyout of Bryz this year costs you $17.08M (rounding up).
Assuming the same 5% discount rate, paying Bryz 8M to play for us next year followed by a buyout in the 2014 offseason costs us $21.05M.

That's a difference of $3.97M, or roughly $4 million like I said in the first place. But apparently, I was manipulating the numbers to support my point...


Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 04-10-2013 at 02:35 PM.
WeekendAtBernies is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
  #311
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Should've just gave Nabokov whatever he wanted back in 2010.

Mgkibbles is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM
  #312
FlyingPhilly
Registered User
 
FlyingPhilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Normally, the more money a player makes the higher the scrutiny the player gets. I thought that was obvious as it is in all sports.

FlyingPhilly is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 02:42 PM
  #313
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Normally, the more money a player makes the higher the scrutiny the player gets. I thought that was obvious as it is in all sports.
Not in BP74's Utopia where all athletes make the same flat rate.

Mgkibbles is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:13 PM
  #314
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Difference comes in when we could afford better skaters with Leighton than with Bryz.
Weber signed here. with Bryz on the roster.

you guys can play fantasy GM all you want & you can invent your expectations relevant to dollars paid all you want. go for it. whatever floats your boat.

regardless, i will judge ON ICE performance by our goalies independent of dollars paid to them.

thats just how i do it. and i will criticize equally, based on what i see on the ice.

why ? because dollars paid can vary so much based on need, available alternatives, a crazy GM [Snow / DiPietro], injuries etc etc etc .....

you don't agree or like that ? i'm sorry. but i will never judge goalies the way you do. you're just gonna havta accept that, or ignore it. up to you.

we all don't judge the same way & there is no "right" or "wrong" way.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:18 PM
  #315
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,778
vCash: 500
If this is true, then in a hypothentical situation you can judge a team that says brings in a beerleague goalie and lets in a ton of easy shots and Lundqvist equally.

I don't know how that makes sense but ok.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-10-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: PM sent
sa cyred is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 03:52 PM
  #316
lowdesertpunk
Registered User
 
lowdesertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Joacim Eriksson`s agent is talking to NHL clubs.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle16574699.ab

Google translate is your friend.

lowdesertpunk is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:01 PM
  #317
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,107
vCash: 500
Seriously hope that the Flyers do gun for him.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:19 PM
  #318
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Seriously hope that the Flyers do gun for him.
Me too. With the numbers he posted it was inevitable. Article says he's ha NHL interest for a while but he wasn't ready to make the jump to the NHL but that he'll be in NA next season. With what team though...hopefully the flyers


Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 04-10-2013 at 04:26 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
  #319
n62
Registered User
 
n62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
at least he wasn't sleeping while on the ice
Are you sure about that?

n62 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:28 PM
  #320
lowdesertpunk
Registered User
 
lowdesertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Me too. With the numbers he posted it was inevitable
He is playing behind a very good team. Third year they make it to the finals now.

lowdesertpunk is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:30 PM
  #321
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Me too. With the numbers he posted it was inevitable. Article says he's ha NHL interest for a while but he wasn't ready to make the jump to the NHL but that he'll be in NA next season. With what team though...hopefully the flyers
Well that makes sense then why the Flyers didn't sign him originally.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:33 PM
  #322
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdesertpunk View Post
He is playing behind a very good team. Third year they make it to the finals now.
Yeah, I've been following him since he was drafted. Unfortunately I only got a chance to see him in game action a handful of times.

I know he still has some rebound issues but that should be relatively easy to correct especially considering his age. For that though the flyers would need a competent goalie coach

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:36 PM
  #323
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Well that makes sense then why the Flyers didn't sign him originally.
Yup, I knew there had to be a reason other then management's stupidity or sunshine not being "worth" a contract.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #324
lowdesertpunk
Registered User
 
lowdesertpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yup, I knew there had to be a reason other then management's stupidity or sunshine not being "worth" a contract.
I hope they gave him a new contract offer and let him develop in sweden but he didnt want to sign.

Really bad if Holmgren let him go just because he didnt want to play in the AHL.

lowdesertpunk is offline  
Old
04-10-2013, 07:58 PM
  #325
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
hckplayer8, might I suggest that you change your username to "Bryz the BUM"

Hockey Team is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.