HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais - Black or White Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 12:37 PM
MonkeyBusiness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
agreed, cause that's when Eller is going to have to be signed and if all things keep going like this Galchenyuk and Eller will be 1-2 and there won't be room for Pleks and DD
I think there will always be room for Plekanec, just roll with Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Eller.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
agreed, cause that's when Eller is going to have to be signed and if all things keep going like this Galchenyuk and Eller will be 1-2 and there won't be room for Pleks and DD
Plekanec is still our best center.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:41 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Plekanec is still our best center.
Right now yes absolutely, I was talking 2 years from now

Old
04-10-2013, 12:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
This means nothing.
Maybe he means that Eller is so skilled doesn't have to try to be regarded as a good talent.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:47 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Maybe he means that Eller is so skilled doesn't have to try to be regarded as a good talent.
To be honest I don't even know what he was trying to say, maybe he just wanted to state the obvious? Does being a first round pick make him a better player than Desharnais, no. We watch the games and make our opinion from that, I think Eller fits our scheme more than Desharnais does and when Galchenyuk is ready to take that #1 center spot DD is good as gone IMO.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Saintpatrick

I really believe signing DD long term was Bergy's only mistake so far. Thankfully it's for a relatively low cap hit. Eller needs to get top 6 minutes he deserves a shot at this point.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:22 PM
SouthernHab

I did wonder how severe the over-reaction would be when the Habs lost a game in which Eller scored and DD did not.

Took almost all season but it finally happened.

About what I imagined.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I did wonder how severe the over-reaction would be when the Habs lost a game in which Eller scored and DD did not.

About what I imagined.
I rarely seens so much senseless bashing on a Habs player who just had a 60 point season last year, and that will probably bounce back next year.

DD is not the second coming of Wayne Gretzky and he is struggling this year, but come on, guys. Give him a ****ing brake.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:37 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
I rarely seens so much senseless bashing on a Habs player who just had a 60 point season last year, and that will probably bounce back next year.

DD is not the second coming of Wayne Gretzky and he is struggling this year, but come on, guys. Give him a ****ing brake.
I'll gladly give him a "brake" but most of us are just tired of seeing him get 18-20 minutes per game while Eller doesn't even get a shot on the PP. You also have to understand that alot of us are just discussing the future of this team.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:

We want to win. We lost last night partly because DD played 20 minutes and sucked.

In a meritocracy, he'd get his minutes slashed and lose Pacioretty. Alas, it's not.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:48 PM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We want to win. We lost last night partly because DD played 20 minutes and sucked.

In a meritocracy, he'd get his minutes slashed and lose Pacioretty. Alas, it's not.
This, after the FIRST game of the season Eller got benched, DD has been very inconsistent and his last few games have just been horrible. But he doesn't seem to get some of his PP privileges cut nor does his playing time get reduced. It's clear Therrien has stopped enforcing his effort = ice time motto.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
jrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post

DD is not as bas as you see him and he is still producing at a good pace for the salary he is being paid.

That said, if next year and the years to come, he keep regressing, then we will have to deal with the mistake.

In my opinion, at the salary he will received for the next 4 years, it will be easy to use him on a second or third line as a winger and he will still be able to produce. I am also sure that we can trade him for a good value in the next 2 years.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Some of us might be tired to have weak and small players on that team.
We had this problem for years now....even a decade: IT DIDN'T WORK.

WE complain every year for the same thing.
We wanted Koivu out because he wasn't big and tough enough.
Same thing for Plekanec from time to time.

We need to get bigger at center
We need to get bigger upfront
We need some toughness
We need some grit

Now we have 2 big and tough center with Eller and Galchenyuk.....
We re-sign DD for 4 year????

The smallest of them all
The weakest of them all
The anti-toughness of them all
The anti-gritty of them all

And suddenly....it's okay!
We're fine?

Gomez, Plekanec, Koivu all put up 60pts season and they were all bigger, tougher and stronger than DD.....did it work?

No it didn't work, and we all complain about the lack of size.....
Didn't we learn anything from our past???

Nope.......for some reason....we wanna take the long road with DD with for more years. WTF! Plus....he's getting worst and worst right now.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
WakeUpNHL

No excuses.

Why are people here making excuses for DD?
I thought it was NO EXCUSES for the Habs?

Eller has a bad game? NO EXCUSES... he's sat out.
White takes a bad penealty? NO EXCUSES... he's sat out.
Weber has a bad game? NO EXCUSES... he's in the press box.

DD plays like crap? Keep REWARDING him with power play time and centering our two best wingers.

So much for the 'meritocracy' philosophy of the Habs... I guess DD is the new 'Gomez'.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:35 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I really believe signing DD long term was Bergy's only mistake so far. Thankfully it's for a relatively low cap hit. Eller needs to get top 6 minutes he deserves a shot at this point.
You can add Moen's signing but that's about it, not big of a deal I think teams have interest in a guy like Moen if he becomes expandable

Old
04-10-2013, 02:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

lol I don't see signing DD as a mistake at all. I guess that isn't a popular opinion.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Ghetto Sangria
Groupthink

Quote:
You can add Moen's signing but that's about it, not big of a deal I think teams have interest in a guy like Moen if he becomes expandable
Also moen will rebound... he's had 3 good seasons with the habs. Just because a player is having a bad year, doesn't mean he will repeat it.

go see Tomas Plekanec after the 08-09 campaign. Brutal the amount of hate this guy received

Old
04-10-2013, 03:16 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
lol I don't see signing DD as a mistake at all. I guess that isn't a popular opinion.
I think signing him in the middle of a season was a mistake because it is a distraction and I don't see him in the team's plans 4 years down the line. I guess he could have made more in the off-season, but he's worth roughly what he signed for.

It's hard to call signing a player at their value a mistake though. Desharnais is playing like a $3.5M player.

What IS a mistake is Desharnais getting PP time right now at the expense of Eller and Galchenyuk, and what is also a mistake is Desharnais and Pacioretty being chained to the hip despite their so called chemistry leading to neither one producing.

Both of those can be blamed on Therrien though, not Bergevin or even Desharnais himself. MT has exceeded my expectations this year but he's not perfect, and this is the best example of that.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
MXD

Quote:
I think signing him in the middle of a season was a mistake because it is a distraction and I don't see him in the team's plans 4 years down the line. I guess he could have made more in the off-season, but he's worth roughly what he signed for.

It's hard to call signing a player at their value a mistake though. Desharnais is playing like a $3.5M player.

What IS a mistake is Desharnais getting PP time right now at the expense of Eller and Galchenyuk, and what is also a mistake is Desharnais and Pacioretty being chained to the hip despite their so called chemistry leading to neither one producing.

Both of those can be blamed on Therrien though, not Bergevin or even Desharnais himself. MT has exceeded my expectations this year but he's not perfect, and this is the best example of that.
For one of the very rare occasions in this thread, I agree with something somebody says which isn't in favour of DD... though that possibly more have to do with how much baseless and ridiculous DD criticism is on this thread

Back on topic -- totally agree with you. If anything, it could also be interesting to see how DD plays with Bourque. Max Pac isn't above reproach this season, but DD should actually be the guy to help him in that regard, as he's the center.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
I'll gladly give him a "brake" but most of us are just tired of seeing him get 18-20 minutes per game while Eller doesn't even get a shot on the PP. You also have to understand that alot of us are just discussing the future of this team.
DD has played over 18min twice in the last 12 games..

I've been saying Eller should get a chance at the top 6 with some PP time since the beginning of the season, and that DD should be tried on the wing. It was a short experience a couple years ago, but DD did well in the POs playing on the wing with Gomez and Gionta.

However, the crap that's been put on him is a little much.

Quote:
It really wasn't a mistake.

Quote:
I don't think it's a distraction at all. I think if anything it's more a motivating factor to perform better.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It really wasn't a mistake.

I don't think it's a distraction at all. I think if anything it's more a motivating factor to perform better.
I disagree. For all of his career, DD had as main motivation to prove to doubters wrong. Nothing was ever handed to him easily because of his size so he had to work harder than anyone else to achieve his goal.

Now with that contract, he's more comfortable than he ever was and he seems to struggle finding the same sense of urgency that he always had and needed before.

That is why I think he should be held accountable and be demoted and, ultimately, benched if he doesn't right the ship. I think it would make him realize that his situation is still fragile and maybe he's get back that lost sense of urgency.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Milhouse40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I disagree. For all of his career, DD had as main motivation to prove to doubters wrong. Nothing was ever handed to him easily because of his size so he had to work harder than anyone else to achieve his goal.

Now with that contract, he's more comfortable than he ever was and he seems to struggle finding the same sense of urgency that he always had and needed before.

That is why I think he should be held accountable and be demoted and, ultimately, benched if he doesn't right the ship. I think it would make him realize that his situation is still fragile and maybe he's get back that lost sense of urgency.
He have many many doubter still out there to be proven wrong (including myself)

But i really don't think his contract made him "comfortable". It's all about the type of game the team wanted to play.

With Martin, we were playing a soft game of waiting the opponent to make mistakes.
Small players can play in this type of system.

With Therrien, we want a in your face type of hockey. Very agressive.

I'm not surpirsed to see the big players like Eller, Bourque, Emelin playing better this years.....and it's no surprise for small players like DD and Gionta having more trouble in this type of system.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Signing him too soon. Unless the Habs thought he'd go to arbitration and win.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:06 PM
NewHabsEra*

Desharnais 22 pts Eller 21 pts Galchenyuk 20 pts

The first one gets ton of PP time while the 2 others get none..

Enough said..

Old
04-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

About what I imagined.
Boo hoo hoo.. Stop protecting your little boy?

Eller has been playing well for months and very consistent, meanwhile your little boy gets all the chance in the world to produce but can barely outplay and outproduce Eller.

Go laugh at Eller in his thread all you want but fact is Eller is playing way better than Desharnais and everybody knows it, the fans know it, the coach knows it, the media know it.. except you of course.

Closed Thread